Thread: WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST Re-visited

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Post WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST Re-visited

Continuing the Re-Appreciation thread begun by Sesh with his excellent review of VAN HALEN II, and following my threads for DIVER DOWN and 1984, I have next decided to write a re-appreciation of WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST (surely one of the most under-rated titles in the band's catalog). It's often stated that out of all the VH albums, the debut really has it all. I feel the debut is amazing, and I feel that 1984 really encapsulates all that's best about VH's various sounds (including Eddie's growing love of electronics). But WOMAN AND CHILDREN FIRST is so totally classic because it really is Van Halen's live album (for me). It has the ultimate live band sound, spontaneous solos, back-up vocals that don't sound like they've been overprocessed (as on 5150)...and this is probably Roth's most confident "swaggar album". I mean, listen to his little spontaneous banter in EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!! Listen to his blues crooning at the beginning of FOOLS. Listen to him half-speak the verses of AND THE CRADLE WILL ROCK (very tongue-in-cheek). And yet, after all this swagger and scatting, he sounds as sincere as ever on IN A SIMPLE RHYME. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. It takes you on a million trips and convinced a lot of people that rock 'n' roll could really be dangerous again, but fun at the same time (a lot like APPETTITE FOR DESTRUCTION, which wouldn't appear for another seven years). It's funny that some critics over the years have accused the band of repeating a formula. And the truth is, the 3-piece band IS repeating themselves on this album (although the sound is a bit more bluesy than before). There are still a million brilliant Eddie and Alex moments on this one too. Mikey is...well, he's okay. He's Mikey. But anyway, it's not the band that really steals this one (although they are great)...it's Dave. How does he think up this shit? "I took a mobile light, I'm-a-lookin' for a moonbeam!" (if that's what he even says). This was a new, improved, less-structured Dave. It wasn't until the next album that the band would join in him in actually...evolving.

Coming off of a second platinum seller with VAN HALEN II and getting their name out even more with more big dates as an opening act and also with some headlining gigs, it would be the WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST album that would solidify their position as the new superband. Van Halen could feel pride in the fact that they had a hit single in 1979 (DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY hit the Top 20); and now, in 1980, they would go in and quickly hash out another album and then go on their first big headlining tour (the 1980 "Invasion Tour"). It's incredible that after two years of innovation and revolution, the band still seemed as if it was just getting started. The 1980 tour was going to be legendary. The band even hired a film-camera crew to capture some of the shows, intending to put together a concert film that would "blow THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME away!" If only they had followed up with that promise. A professional film of the 1980 tour would capture the band at their peak...still very young, spontaneous, still a little hungry...a set list not brought down by requirements of "old songs" that needed to still be played...or the hit single. It's a tragedy that the first concert film Van Halen released is the 5150 tour home video LIVE WITHOUT A NET. By the time that video was filmed, the band was already dead. They were safe, homogenized...a lot like other big-time corporate acts. In 1980, they were dangerous...practically a punk band.

One more thing...after WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST, the band took their first steps toward becoming a studio band, with overdubbed guitar solos galore and studio experimentation. WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST was maybe their last declaration of spontaneity. In fact, it may just be the most spontaneous album ever recorded. Hell, the whole thing sounds like a jam session! It's great.

...AND THE CRADLE WILL ROCK
    Funny that this is the only song from this album on the band's first (of many, I'm sure) Greatest Hits album. I would say it's actually my least favorite track here. I think it's definitely an experimental moment for the band (on an album without much experimentation). But it also seems to me like Eddie concentrated more on messing around with a new sound than on writing a good tune. I, personally, find the chords a bit boring and the lyrics dull and not up to Roth's usually-high standards (especially his high standards for the time). The song features an electric piano part blasting though Eddie's Marshall amplifiers, with a phaser effect (I think?) on it. And this is the first VH song on which a keyboard appears. It's amazing how many people didn't realize it...it does sound a lot like a guitar. But I never really liked the rhythm sound on this song too much because it sounds basically like a watered-down electric guitar (nothing like Ed's future synth sound). It doesn't have the melody of a keyboard, but it also doesn't have the menace of a Kramer or Fender. As for the song, the chorus is kinda cliched. Even the solo is rather typical (although I like the beginning of it, the way it just buzzes in). Whatever. It's Van Halen experimenting a little and writing a sort of by-the-numbers tune in the process. The fact that the band thinks this is probably the best song to represent this album shows how much they don't get what was brilliant about the early days. (Still, I'd take this song over LOVE WALKS IN any day... .)

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    A live favorite, the band pulled this one out on every tour up to and including the 1984 Tour. Of course, it was dumped after Dave left the band (although I believe the band may have revisited it during Gary Cherone's short tenure in the band). Eddie rubs the low-E string during Al's jungle rhythm intro, producing a rather menacing scraping sound (probably something they decided to do minutes before the tape rolled...I bet this is Take 1 or Take 2). The riff is simple, the rhythmic idea very primitive: blues riff over a primal drumbeat, with the vocalist yelling a line after each time the guitarist plays a riff (Chicago blues, basically)...band kicks in for simple singalong chorus, cool guitar solo after the chorus. There's not much more to it than that. But that's the point. It's simple, but extremely inspired and almost angry. It's classic Van Halen. That said, this is also not one of the very best songs in the band's catalog (nor on this album). But I s'pose after the "experimentation" of WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST, the band required a song that truly harks back to the first album. The funny thing is, there's no song on the debut that sounds this spontaneous. It sounds like the band marking time (song-writing-wise), but it's still new to the listener. Dave apparently even ad-libbed all his vocals, listening to the pre-recorded music through his headphones. And they're damn funny: "Where'd you get that...oh!" "No no no no, don't take 'em off...leave 'em on." "I always liked those high heels too." "Look, I'll pay you for it...what the fu..." Great stuff. I can see Alex rolling his eyes, hearing this stuff on playback. But it's classic Dave. If anything, it's just great to hear a recording by Van Halen at their peak that was probably written, recorded and mixed on the spot. Amazing that such quick work on a blues/rock song one evening in a recording studio led to the one song on the album they would play more than any of the others (hundreds of times, actually)!!

FOOLS
    Again, this sounds like pure spontaneity (although it's apparently a much older song). My one complaint with the WACF album is that as brilliant as it is, it's brilliant as a whole more than part-by-part. It makes a statement in itself, even though not one of the first three tracks really tells you how amazing the whole album is. But this album really is great! Keep listening...I swear, you'll understand. Of course, FOOLS may not be MEAN STREET. But it's such sloppy blues with Chuck Berry-inspired lyrics that you can't help but tap the steering wheel and thank God the band was in the mood to jam the night they threw this down. My god, man...listen to that opening guitar solo (right after the soft intro and simple guitar announcement). It's nuts. And then Ed suddenly shuts up and softly plays a little lick before he kicks into a riff that sounds like it would have been right at home on LED ZEPPELIN II...so simple, so menacing (DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH-DUH). Dave probably again came up with some of the lyrics right on-the-spot ("Ooo, an' I'm sick an' tired of Golden Rules, ah!"?). But that's again what makes it great. This is another "fuck you corporate rock" kind of song. I'd like to have seen the manager of Styx or Journey listen to HIS band tell them that a track like this was going to go on their new album. He would have had a heart attack. And this again proves that Van Halen really were the hard rock alternative to that kind of sugary gloss pop/metal that was so big at the beginning of the 80's. Is FOOLS Van Halen's greatest moment? Hell, no. Does it have all the elements of what made the band great? Hell, yes!

ROMEO DELIGHT
    For me, this is the album's best moment...and among the band's greatest moments ever (if not THE greatest). "I'll take your whiskey to the party tonight and I'm looking for somebody to squeeze!" Oh yeah! Of course, that line is lifted directly out of an older VH song called GET THE SHOW ON THE ROAD (great song, appears on the '77 Demo tape). Dave steals his own line and uses it to even greater effect in this classic song that sounds either like the LP is on 78 or the band embraced speed metal before it actually broke! My god, man...this smokes! The drums are so fast and angry, the riff is super-aggressive...pure heavy metal. The first three songs on the album sound like the band is swaggering and finding a good groove. This song sounds like they've had LOTS of cocaine and can't think of improvising if their lives depend on it. There's simply no room to move around in because the beat is going so fast! (Of course, the middle-part with the chorused hi-hat and Dave singing "ooh baby", with the background vocals, is so amazing...more WACF spontaneity). This was also the song the band used to open shows with on the DIVER DOWN tour (was this the opener on the FAIR WARNING tour?). Dave's infamous "I forgot the fucking words!" declaration in the second verse of this song at the U.S. Fesitval was actually his standard line in performances of this song at the time. Of course, Sammy Hagar has probably never even heard of this song...and he definitely didn't ever sing it during his tenure with the band. Gary Cherone did (he's a big fan of the 6-pack); and although such a performance could never be like the original band, it was nice to know that someone in the VH camp was acknowledging this song's greatness (even if this person wasn't even around during that part of the band's history). How on Earth could any VH fan listen to this track and say, "It's good, but not as good as SUCKA IN A 3-PIECE"? It ain't quite RUNAROUND?:eek: After this song, rock 'n' roll should have retired. Why bother trying to follow this? It just doesn't get better than ROMEO DELIGHT.

TORA! TORA!
    A fun little recording experiment. This is less than a minute long. In fact, it's never been clear to me why this little piece of noise meant anything to the band at all! There must be hours of this kind of noise on tape in the vault...it reminds me of the little guitar feedback noise at the beginning OUTTA LOVE AGAIN (on VAN HALEN II). Anyway, it's also my opinion that the title actually refers to the little noise piece that fades in...not the actual slow riff that follows with the whole band playing, although both CD versions of this album actually place the track mark later...in fact, the track doesn't switch over until the riff introducing...

LOSS OF CONTROL
    A lot of fans don't like this one. I love it. This is the greatest highway song ever written. I swear, I want to outrun every cop in the entire planet when listening to the solo in this one. That damn insane chugging sound that jumps from speaker to speaker in the middle part makes my heart speed up more than amazing sex! It's awesome. This may not be quite the song ROMEO DELIGHT is (let's face it, the vocals are insane). But it makes ROMEO DELIGHT sound like a Scorpions ballad. That's how jacked up on coke and steroids this one is. I recently heard a boot of the band playing this on the "Invasion" tour (in fact, I downloaded it here at the wonderful RothArmy)...it was amazing. They got all the little vocal nuances right: "Oh-woah-woah-woah-woah, loss of control, loss of control, loss of control!", and the guitar solo was spot on. The drums were even more insane than on this studio rendition. Anyway, this is garage music at its finest. The band couldn't try to write a track like this nowadays if they tried. This is a song written by people in their twenties, with enough alcohol in them to kill a herd of elephants. (According to classicvanhalen.com, there's an unreleased music video for this song with the band dressed in surgial outfits. I'd kill to see it! Of course, I'm sure their next DVD will instead contain the "other" version of FINISH WHAT YA STARTED...and this will excite me just as much as someone giving me a remastered copy of MARCHING TO MARS.)

TAKE YOUR WHISKEY HOME
    Dave has always said he loves ZZ TOP. You can hear it in this one. My god, listen to Eddie's riff. Listen to his tone. So bluesy. So funky. This one is dripping with J.D. and oral sex. The acoustic intro was new for this version, and this older song actually sounds like by-the-numbers Van Halen rock except for the fact that it's brilliant. It completely swaggers, cut live-in-the-studio (although I'm sure the vocals were added later). BTW, another interesting Van Halen phenomenon is again in display on this album (and pretty much all of the Roth-era albums). The band obviously wrote SO MUCH MUSIC in the early days that they could keep digging out riffs, pieces and entire songs for new albums...each time. Fans constantly point out how songs like BIG TROUBLE and SHE'S THE WOMAN should have been on proper VH albums. Yes, they should have. But then again, we could have also been arguing, "They should have put TAKE YOUR WHISKEY HOME on an album." But that one they had time to get to. Hell, if that follow up to 1984 had been finished, they probably WOULD HAVE included BIG TROUBLE. Still, something as jamming and funky as TAKE YOUR WHISKEY HOME would really have fit on no other VH album. The VH albums have songs almost chosen at random to record, but a certain personality comes out with each album. And maybe this really is the jam album. And this song? Well, it's right at home with FOOLS and EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!! Too bad this didn't really become a live favorite.

COULD THIS BE MAGIC?
    I've often wondered about the origins of this track. It sounds like a sing-a-long standard. And the lyrics are amazing. I love the rain effect added to the track (song for a rainy day, I guess). And Dave's vocals are so hip on top of the acoustic guitars. I can just picture Van Halen sitting on the back porch, rain dripping off the roof...smokes and beers all around...Mikey serving the other three...Alex convincing himself he's just as important as the other two even though he's not playing an instrument here or anything... I think Dave's playing acoustic on this. Anyway, this is another Van Halen anthem that hardly anybody knows. I know it would never happen, but my ultimate Van Halen reunion show would be not only a set of electric guitar classics but (also included) a short backporch set with this track performed in its entirety after a complete acoustic performance of the LITTLE GUITAR intro from DIVER DOWN. Oh, and another moment in this song that I love? How about when Dave finishes singing the second chorus and then says calmly, "Edward?", before Ed rips into a great acoustic solo. Excellent back-up vocals by Nicolette Larson, BTW. Eddie played guitar on her solo debut in 1978. The poor woman passed away in 1997.

IN A SIMPLE RHYME
    This is why I love this band. How could an album that contains a backporch jam like COULD THIS BE MAGIC?, a full-out garage rocker like ROMEO DELIGHT, a keyboard experiment like AND THE CRADLE WILL ROCK and a Chicago blues like TAKE YOUR WHISKEY HOME conclude with a song as rehearsed and accomplished as IN A SIMPLE RHYME? I absolutely love the 12-string electric intro on this...I love how it kicks in and Dave sings his heart out (introducing the "So This Is Love" vocal idea a year before the song of the same name appeared on FAIR WARNING), before the very catchy and simple riff of the chorus. I love how the song is brought down to the soft 12-string electric again (with light drums) and Dave sings some very simple lyrics of love (without sounding ANYTHING like Sammy)..."You coulda heard the angels singin'". I think Dave meant it...don't you? And Eddie's solo after the soft middle-eight is simple and passionate. It's nothing new, but great nevertheless. And when the whole song is finally over, you're gasping for air...blown away by yet another incredible performance. How did they do that? How did they put an song like this together when their fingers were still hurting from playing LOSS OF CONTROL? Well, yes...this was written in 1975. But it sounds like wrote it very recently, inspired by some recent rock 'n' roll heartbreak. To end the album with one more blues jam would have been a mistake. Ending it with this, however, ensured that this was yet another Van Halen that covers everything. (And yes, the little ending jam that the band plays after the last note of SIMPLE RHYME is amusing...and longer on the CD.)

My god. The band always covered everything on every album they cut (with Roth). The debut has both ATOMIC PUNK and LITTLE DREAMER. The second one has WOMEN IN LOVE and LIGHT UP THE SKY. This album has LOSS OF CONTROL and IN A SIMPLE RHYME. This was a perfect band. It would have surprised no one hearing it that the band would go on to cut three more brilliant albums. But this is probably the last Van Halen album to contain their original classic sound. After this album, the echoed guitar panned dead left (or is it dead right?) would be almost history. And that spontaneous creativity would die briefly too...WACF was cut in two weeks. FAIR WARNING would be more labored, or at least it sounded like it. Maybe FAIR WARNING was the bigger accomplishment, but this album really sounds the death knell for the band's early sound. After this, they became a studio band.

One more thing...I know out there, some poor kid has probably missed WACF because the following tragedy has happened to him:

A 12-year-old kid gets into Van Halen after hearing AIN'T TALKIN' 'BOUT LOVE on his classic rock radio station. He goes out and buys the VAN HALEN album and VAN HALEN II. He takes them home and loves them. He is so excited by this band that he has to hear more. He saves up his allowance and lawnmower money and finally earns enough to get one more Van Halen CD. He runs to his local suburban record store and finds just the CD he's looking for...VAN HALEN III!

Ooops...
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh yes...you all know what this looks like...

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Damn, that was a long post, but I agree 100%
    Especially about Romeo Delight.
    You got my vote, dude.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    always the same thing to say to you rikk, this is an excellent thing you wrote.thanks!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great stuff as usual Rikk.

I have to say that Eddie had fucking balls to play Romeo Delight as an opener.

I can see how you could get pissed off, struggling to hit all those tapped harmonics cleanly while running about a stage, and your singer can't even be bothered to remember the words...

Cheers!

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Awesome review on WACF! And I feel pretty much the same way you do. It's funny, that album, I always think I don't like it all that much as I too feel that Cradle Will Rock is a little on the weak side as far as the mighty VH is concerned. But from that second track onward it's balls to the walls. I also love all the little Dave comments sprinkled throughout the record. Damn funny and classic Roth-isms. Well done.

lms2
    I enjoy entering a thread about the music once in a while. Great post Rikk. I think I will go listen to a little Romeo Delight...

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    lms2, can i listen to romeo with you???

lms2
    Sorry Frenchie, no.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    was a joke, you're so serious sometimes!!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good stuff, you get my vote.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Another masterpiece Rikk!

"Fools" is always in heavy rotation on the good stereo...it's a prime example of The Brownsound's ability to make you think his equipment is probably glowing and ready to just blow the fuck up.

WACF's "live" sound was one of the first things I cued up on the good stereo after I got it set up.

After your stellar review I'm considering upgrading to a digital-to-analog converter that costs way too much.

Thanks alot fucker!

Lou
    Once you acclimate yourself to WACF it's just a beautiful thing. For the longest time I thought this album sucked. It took me a good two, two and a half years to get used to it. I honestly don't even know why I revisited it because I just didn't like it except for "And The Cradle" and "In A Simple Rhyme." It's not mainstream and not meant for public consumption. But once you get attuned to the strange vibe of the album it's just phenomenal.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    WACF is one of the most exciting VH releases to listen to... and Rikk - you have again reminded me of why... now where did I put that CD?

Top shelf review mate..
    Go home the Earth is full....

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thank you, friends! I love reading your feedback and I hope you're getting excited about listening to this album again, just as I got excited to listen to it just by writing that.

In fact, I got it cranking right now. Keep listening!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking man

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've always liked those kind of high heels, too, ya know I...

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No no no no, don't take 'em off...leave 'em on...

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, that's it...a little more to the right

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You gotta love this album...

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I, for one, have always loved this album. When I first heard it my fucking jaw dropped, no bullshit. I rank it second just behind FW. Thanks again Rikk, stellar review man!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The classic lineup was beginning to peak, full throttle, with this album. Continued with Fair Warning (Van Halen's last album that was consistently excellent from start to finish).

And The Cradle Will Rock - Probably the most radio-friendly tune on the album. Some restrained (by Eddie's standards) soloing, but definitely appropo for the song. A relatively low-key way to kick the album off.

Everybody Wants Some!! - A classic. Jungle-vibe intro, patented in your-face chorus. Even with it's consistent play on the radio over the years, hasn't become tiresome for me (unlike, say, Jump).

Fools - The tune drips attitude. The guitar solo has a bluesy feel to it. Most of the solos on this effort are a little slower in tempo than on Van Halen and Van Halen 2, but don't suffer for it. The whole album has a very live feel to it, but you can hear the depth of the production quality....a definite improvement over Van Halen 2 in that respect. Templeman and VH definitely complimented one another.

Romeo Delight - This song is in my top five of all time, probably coming in at a close second to Sinner's Swing! Even the post-solo breakdown (Mmmm baby, feel my heartbeat), which Roth reportedly wasn't all that thrilled with , works. The solo is a monster, and the band is just meshed and flying forward. Great lyrics.

Tora Tora - Effective intro to Loss Of Control. Primarily effective because of it's brevity.

Loss Of Control - Almost punkish in its feel. Off-the-wall solo from Ed. For some reason, this whole album feels like the band just went in, drank beer and let it rip. Definitely didn't suffer from putting too much thought into what they were gonna record, and this results in an immediacy and intensity missing from the overworked tunes that plagued Van Hagar.

Take Your Whiskey Home - An older tune slightly revamped for the album. As far as Ed's claim that Eric Clapton was his primary influence, this albums solos are about the only thing in VH's catalog that make me believe it. Almost simplistic by the standards of the first two albums (Romeo Delight to one side).

Could This Be Magic? - Kinda tones down the proceedings somewhat, but great for what it is. An example of VH's diversity.

In A Simple Rhyme - Very Zeppelinesque. Probably the most overtly Zep influenced VH song short of Secrets.

Guitar technique to one side, this album comes across as more of a Seventies-style album to me than the first two (which were actually released in the Seventies), but bottom line it represents one of the zenith albums of VH's career.

5 out of 5 stars
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Mr. Awesome
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The More I listen to this album, the more I love it period. It kicks major ass from start to finish. It has soo many different styles from begining to end. Everybody Wants Some . . . to Could this Be Magic? This album has got it all.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    WACF demonstrated just how obnoxious and arrogant VH were and deserved to be.
    When your nearest competition is miles behind you, its ok to gloat and this album was the big F U to all the other posers and wanna-be's who werent yet and may never be.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Terry

Guitar technique to one side, this album comes across as more of a Seventies-style album to me than the first two (which were actually released in the Seventies), but bottom line it represents one of the zenith albums of VH's career.

Great comment here, I totally agree. And by the way (amazingly)this album has never really been at the top of Classic VH fans list of six pack albums. That's unbelievable to me.........FW,WACF, and I are untouchable IMO.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bill, my great friend...when are you going to learn? They're all untouchable. Van Halen was an unbeatable band. But you're right. There's a certain feeling of indestructability on this album that no band in rock history has ever really repeated. I love this album so much.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rikk you are the ablosute king of critics. By the way the rain you hear on "could this be magic" is real. I heard Dave say once durring an interview that when they were recording it it was raining outside and he decided to open the doors and get some of it in the mix. Pretty cool.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was in 6th grade when WACF was released!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!
    "cough,cough!!" WOW! And, I had a teacher in 6th grade who let us bring in records once a week to listen to. SHE brought in WACF!!! She was the COOLEST!!!!
    I remember the RUMORS around this time as well!!! ANYBODY else remember when the national media SPECULATED that VAN HALEN might be KISS without the makeup?!?!?!HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
    WTF!!! I remember my older Bro showing me this article in the DETROIT NEWS that said something to that effect. WOW! Where those simpler times or what???

DAVE OR THE GRAVE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was in 5th Grade when WACF was released. My first album was VHII, a birthday present from my Aunt and WACF was all I wanted for my next birthday. Although I don't remember the makeup rumour making its way Down Under tho' Matt

1981...Ah they were the days... Missile Command, Defender, Donkey Kong, Randy Rhoads, Kiss Unmasked... I could go on....
    Last edited by sambo; 09-14-2004 at 02:03 AM.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Rikk
    Bill, my great friend...when are you going to learn? They're all untouchable. Van Halen was an unbeatable band. But you're right. There's a certain feeling of indestructability on this album that no band in rock history has ever really repeated. I love this album so much.
    Of course they're the top six albums of all fucking time bro! I just meant those are the best of the best out of the six IMO.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fookin Excellent Rikk !
    I saw it was another huge post, but knew it would be worth the time
    reading it. Great job. I love this album too !!

Oh another WACF tidbit (apart from the real rain which has been mentioned)

Also,

Its the only album cover where Ed has a destroyer!
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Another stellar review Rikk! I love WACF. I like to keep it tucked away on my cd shelf and only pull it out on special occasions. Like if I have a long drive ahead of me. It keeps it fresh and exciting, whereas I've listened to FW and 1984 a million times and know every little nuance.

Formerly Tormented VH Fan
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    WACF has been my favorite of the 6 for quite a while
    Formerly Tormented VH Fan
    Facebook: Chelle Marley

rob100
    Great review, again. I have to say I always loved ...And the cradle will rock. The first few bars set the mood: "ah yeah...get up...". I love the not too subtle phase effects, the solo, the cool beat, etc. And listen to the way Alex' playing interacts with the words "rock on"... Just love the song, it sounds BIG if you know what I mean.

Great album, it always competes with VH1 as my favorite.

HUNK O' BURNIN' LOVE
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My fave. It's in my cd player right now. Until I heard Romeo Delight, I thought On Fire was as good as it gets.
    He throws a punch.
    He swings. I duck.
    His fat ass falls...
    Hey Sammy,you still SUCK!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great post man, hilarious what you said about a 12 year old kid you get my vote

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Mr. G
    Rikk you are the ablosute king of critics. By the way the rain you hear on "could this be magic" is real. I heard Dave say once durring an interview that when they were recording it it was raining outside and he decided to open the doors and get some of it in the mix. Pretty cool.
    Thanks man.

I never realized the rain is real. Man, that makes the song even more special to me!

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great post Rikk! IMO Romeo Delight is by far and away their most underrated song.
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
    Great post Rikk! IMO Romeo Delight is by far and away their most underrated song.
    Agreed. It's incredible that Sammy Hagar is the singer of Van Halen now (sort of) and he has probably never even heard this song and wouldn't like it if he did.

ROMEO DELIGHT should have had a long live history. It's a classic.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Excellent Rikk.

Couple quick things about this album.

Dave, as always, sounds like he is having one damn good time in the studio. Laughs, etc. Killer.

And the lyric in "In a Simple Rhyme" ...

"Ain't life grand when you finally hit it ..."

Fucking awesome.

Can't wait for the "Fair Warning" review you guys.

Thread Information