X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Jim Kelly's son Hunter dies...age 8

I'm not a Jim Kelly fan...at least as a football player...but this is a sad story...to say the least...

Hunter Kelly, quarterback Jim's son, dies at 8
    Aug. 5, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Hunter Kelly, whose battle with a fatal nervous system disease inspired his Hall of Fame father Jim Kelly's charitable works, died Friday. He was 8.

Hunter died at Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo, Hunter's Hope Foundation spokesman John Dudek said. The young boy had been experiencing breathing problems the past week.

"He has been struggling for a while," Dudek said.

Hunter's doctor, Patricia Duffner, said he died of respiratory failure.

Hunter's Hope Foundation, named after Jim Kelly's son, was established in 1997 by the Hall of Fame quarterback and his wife, Jill. It has raised more than $6 million and awarded more than $3.8 million to leukodystrophy and other neurological disease-related research.

Born in 1997, Hunter Kelly was given no more than three years to live after being diagnosed with Krabbe disease, an inherited degenerative disorder of the central and peripheral nervous systems. The disease hinders development of the myelin sheath, a fatty covering that protects the brain's nerve fibers.

The disease has no known cure.

The foundation released a statement saying the Kelly family is grateful for the support people have shown.

"It is the family's hope that all who mourn for their son, Hunter, would join them in thanking the Lord for his precious life," the statement read.

The Bills, in Green Bay for a scrimmage against the Packers, released a statement expressing their condolences.

"The entire Buffalo Bills organization is deeply saddened today to hear of the passing of Hunter Kelly," the statement read. "This courageous young man served as an inspiration to us all during his brief life. And he will forever remain a symbol of hope."

Records are scarce, but experts believe Hunter was one of the longest living of people who developed Krabbe as an infant. The disease can also develop in juveniles and adults.

Hunter spent most of his life confined to a wheelchair and hooked up to a respirator and feeding tube, while receiving around-the-clock care from his family and therapists. He was eventually able to lift his arms and head, and learned to communicate through a series of facial expressions.
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

He had displayed a grasp for understanding, able to comprehend stories read to him. And he recently showed a capacity for bowling, able to hold a ball, shake his hand and aim it in the direction of pins.

Jim Kelly, who led the Bills to an unprecedented four consecutive AFC titles in the early 1990s, had credited his son for serving as his inspiration after he retired from football following the 1996 season.

"He'll never be able to do what daddy did," Kelly said last year. "But he's going to do greater things. He's going to make a difference in kids' lives. He already has."

He also paid tribute to Hunter in his Hall of Fame acceptance speech in 2002.

"It has been written throughout my career that toughness is my trademark," Kelly said. "Well, the toughest person I've ever met in my life is my hero, my soldier, my son, Hunter. I love you, buddy."

Kelly and his son shared a birthday -- Valentine's Day.

Duffner credited the Kelly family for Hunter living well beyond the initial prognosis and for its help in Krabbe research.

"He was such a brave little boy. ... He was a tough kid, like his dad," Duffner said. "It's really quite remarkable how one family has changed the course of a disease."

She noted that New York will begin screening newborns for the disease, something which the foundation has long favored. If caught just after birth, an umbilical cord blood transplant can halt its effects.

The Kellys will hold a public memorial service Tuesday in Hamburg, N.Y., and ask that donations be made to the Hunter's Hope Foundation.
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Terrible news... Just makes you so grateful that your own children are healthy...

Kelly will fight even harder for research funding now, if I was a betting man...
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

1. It's amazing that so many top QB's from the past have these kinds of issues...Doesn't Flutie and/or Marino as well?

2. Sad dude...and does make you appreciate how lucky some dad's are...

3. It really hits home when you have kids though...no doubt...

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I think Flutie and Marino AND Boomer Esiason all have kids that are autistic...

I feel really bad for Jim Kelly...
          Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Bob_R
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

What a shame.
            Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Very, very sad. At least something positive came out of this tragedy.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I'm speechless...

Comment

• Mama's Fool
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jan 2004

His hall of fame speach was one of the best ones I've seen. Feel really sorry for him because during his speach you could see and feel the emotion for Hunter, obviously so.

Comment

• thome
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Mar 2005

I always thought Kelly was a good onion.
                    Seen him talk several times on tv about his son.

Best wishes to his family.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Yeah...I forgot about Boomer...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Mama's Fool
                        His hall of fame speach was one of the best ones I've seen. Feel really sorry for him because during his speach you could see and feel the emotion for Hunter, obviously so.
                        You know, for a long time around BUFFALO, he was a shallow jack-ass that had the rep for getting drunk the night before the games, and banging chick after chick as the big local playa.' He even got into an altercation in a bar where a lady he was seeing confronted him, that was a long long time ago.

But seeing that guy develop into something of a great human being was far more inspiring than anything he did on the field for me. In fact, I was never a huge fan and even thought the BILLS should have gotten a more mobile quarterback at one point.

I met him a couple of times in a bar and he was decent enough. Sometimes he could be very friendly, sometimes aloof, arrogant and dismissive. But he's become a consistently great guy to the community and the people around him, and his once battered local reputation has soared way beyond his playing days where he was often thought of as a prima-donna jerk.
                        It's pretty sad that this happened to him, and I'm really sorry that HUNTER was borne with this terrible ailment. I wish the guy and his family the best and hope some good can come of this with the organization bearing his son's name KELLY founded to fight Krabbe Disease: Hunter's Hope. Maybe some other kids will get some hope from it...

Comment

• DlocRoth
                          ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Shitty news...

Even reading that shit chokes me up a bit, having a son of my own...

Alright, I wiped my eyes, now answer me this POJO...

You don't like Jim Kelly as a football player?

He was a damn good QB.
                          Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by DlocRoth
                            Shitty news...

Even reading that shit chokes me up a bit, having a son of my own...

Alright, I wiped my eyes, now answer me this POJO...

You don't like Jim Kelly as a football player?

He was a damn good QB.
                            Say what you want about KELLY, and believe me, I complained a lot about him myself for being slow, cocky, impatient, and for often making bad decisions.

-But-

He was one of the toughest mother fuckers ever to play the position, at least in the modern NFL-AFL era. And he knew how to 'field general' a team. After 1990 he was basically the coach of the No-Huddle Offense, how many younger QBs can pull that off today? Peyton MANNING maybe? And how many quaterbacks ever broke the leg of the DB intercepted them? KELLY snapped an Atlanta cornerback's leg in two when he tackled him out of bounds. It was fucking gruesome!

Also keep in mind that KELLY's throwing stats are diminished by his playing at RICH/RALPH WILSON STADIUM from about late October to January. Sit in those stands awhile, feel that brutal, swirling wind, and you'll know why...

I was very upset when I heard about his son on the radio yesterday.

Comment

• EbDawson
                              Veteran
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                              Also keep in mind that KELLY's throwing stats are diminished by his playing at RICH/RALPH WILSON STADIUM from about late October to January. Sit in those stands awhile, feel that brutal, swirling wind, and you'll know why...

Good point. Sad deal about his son, RIP.
                              "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

Working...