Thread: Jim Kelly's son Hunter dies...age 8

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Jim Kelly's son Hunter dies...age 8

I'm not a Jim Kelly fan...at least as a football player...but this is a sad story...to say the least...

Hunter Kelly, quarterback Jim's son, dies at 8
    Aug. 5, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Hunter Kelly, whose battle with a fatal nervous system disease inspired his Hall of Fame father Jim Kelly's charitable works, died Friday. He was 8.

Hunter died at Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo, Hunter's Hope Foundation spokesman John Dudek said. The young boy had been experiencing breathing problems the past week.

"He has been struggling for a while," Dudek said.

Hunter's doctor, Patricia Duffner, said he died of respiratory failure.

Hunter's Hope Foundation, named after Jim Kelly's son, was established in 1997 by the Hall of Fame quarterback and his wife, Jill. It has raised more than $6 million and awarded more than $3.8 million to leukodystrophy and other neurological disease-related research.

Born in 1997, Hunter Kelly was given no more than three years to live after being diagnosed with Krabbe disease, an inherited degenerative disorder of the central and peripheral nervous systems. The disease hinders development of the myelin sheath, a fatty covering that protects the brain's nerve fibers.

The disease has no known cure.

The foundation released a statement saying the Kelly family is grateful for the support people have shown.

"It is the family's hope that all who mourn for their son, Hunter, would join them in thanking the Lord for his precious life," the statement read.

The Bills, in Green Bay for a scrimmage against the Packers, released a statement expressing their condolences.

"The entire Buffalo Bills organization is deeply saddened today to hear of the passing of Hunter Kelly," the statement read. "This courageous young man served as an inspiration to us all during his brief life. And he will forever remain a symbol of hope."

Records are scarce, but experts believe Hunter was one of the longest living of people who developed Krabbe as an infant. The disease can also develop in juveniles and adults.

Hunter spent most of his life confined to a wheelchair and hooked up to a respirator and feeding tube, while receiving around-the-clock care from his family and therapists. He was eventually able to lift his arms and head, and learned to communicate through a series of facial expressions.
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He had displayed a grasp for understanding, able to comprehend stories read to him. And he recently showed a capacity for bowling, able to hold a ball, shake his hand and aim it in the direction of pins.

Jim Kelly, who led the Bills to an unprecedented four consecutive AFC titles in the early 1990s, had credited his son for serving as his inspiration after he retired from football following the 1996 season.

"He'll never be able to do what daddy did," Kelly said last year. "But he's going to do greater things. He's going to make a difference in kids' lives. He already has."

He also paid tribute to Hunter in his Hall of Fame acceptance speech in 2002.

"It has been written throughout my career that toughness is my trademark," Kelly said. "Well, the toughest person I've ever met in my life is my hero, my soldier, my son, Hunter. I love you, buddy."

Kelly and his son shared a birthday -- Valentine's Day.

Duffner credited the Kelly family for Hunter living well beyond the initial prognosis and for its help in Krabbe research.

"He was such a brave little boy. ... He was a tough kid, like his dad," Duffner said. "It's really quite remarkable how one family has changed the course of a disease."

She noted that New York will begin screening newborns for the disease, something which the foundation has long favored. If caught just after birth, an umbilical cord blood transplant can halt its effects.

The Kellys will hold a public memorial service Tuesday in Hamburg, N.Y., and ask that donations be made to the Hunter's Hope Foundation.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Terrible news... Just makes you so grateful that your own children are healthy...

Kelly will fight even harder for research funding now, if I was a betting man...
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    1. It's amazing that so many top QB's from the past have these kinds of issues...Doesn't Flutie and/or Marino as well?

2. Sad dude...and does make you appreciate how lucky some dad's are...

3. It really hits home when you have kids though...no doubt...

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think Flutie and Marino AND Boomer Esiason all have kids that are autistic...

I feel really bad for Jim Kelly...
    Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What a shame.
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Very, very sad. At least something positive came out of this tragedy.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm speechless...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    His hall of fame speach was one of the best ones I've seen. Feel really sorry for him because during his speach you could see and feel the emotion for Hunter, obviously so.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I always thought Kelly was a good onion.
    Seen him talk several times on tv about his son.

Best wishes to his family.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah...I forgot about Boomer...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Mama's Fool
    His hall of fame speach was one of the best ones I've seen. Feel really sorry for him because during his speach you could see and feel the emotion for Hunter, obviously so.
    You know, for a long time around BUFFALO, he was a shallow jack-ass that had the rep for getting drunk the night before the games, and banging chick after chick as the big local playa.' He even got into an altercation in a bar where a lady he was seeing confronted him, that was a long long time ago.

But seeing that guy develop into something of a great human being was far more inspiring than anything he did on the field for me. In fact, I was never a huge fan and even thought the BILLS should have gotten a more mobile quarterback at one point.

I met him a couple of times in a bar and he was decent enough. Sometimes he could be very friendly, sometimes aloof, arrogant and dismissive. But he's become a consistently great guy to the community and the people around him, and his once battered local reputation has soared way beyond his playing days where he was often thought of as a prima-donna jerk.
    It's pretty sad that this happened to him, and I'm really sorry that HUNTER was borne with this terrible ailment. I wish the guy and his family the best and hope some good can come of this with the organization bearing his son's name KELLY founded to fight Krabbe Disease: Hunter's Hope. Maybe some other kids will get some hope from it...

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Shitty news...

Even reading that shit chokes me up a bit, having a son of my own...

Alright, I wiped my eyes, now answer me this POJO...

You don't like Jim Kelly as a football player?

He was a damn good QB.
    Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DlocRoth
    Shitty news...

Even reading that shit chokes me up a bit, having a son of my own...

Alright, I wiped my eyes, now answer me this POJO...

You don't like Jim Kelly as a football player?

He was a damn good QB.
    Say what you want about KELLY, and believe me, I complained a lot about him myself for being slow, cocky, impatient, and for often making bad decisions.

-But-

He was one of the toughest mother fuckers ever to play the position, at least in the modern NFL-AFL era. And he knew how to 'field general' a team. After 1990 he was basically the coach of the No-Huddle Offense, how many younger QBs can pull that off today? Peyton MANNING maybe? And how many quaterbacks ever broke the leg of the DB intercepted them? KELLY snapped an Atlanta cornerback's leg in two when he tackled him out of bounds. It was fucking gruesome!

Also keep in mind that KELLY's throwing stats are diminished by his playing at RICH/RALPH WILSON STADIUM from about late October to January. Sit in those stands awhile, feel that brutal, swirling wind, and you'll know why...

I was very upset when I heard about his son on the radio yesterday.

Farm Hand
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Also keep in mind that KELLY's throwing stats are diminished by his playing at RICH/RALPH WILSON STADIUM from about late October to January. Sit in those stands awhile, feel that brutal, swirling wind, and you'll know why...

Good point. Sad deal about his son, RIP.
    "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't like him as a player...DLoc...because I am a Steeler fan...and generally speaking...if there's another team that's fucking dominating the league...other than the Steelers...I hate them...

nothing more or less than that...

I also would get pissed off every time they compared him to Bradshaw on the field...

Yo Nick...did you ever goto a bar named NoNames?

A friend of mine owned it...closed a few years back...but I used to go there in the early 90's for big events.

Was there one night during Kelly's qb challenge...and was sitting in the middle of Moon, Kosar, Bruce Smith and a few others. Kelly wasn't there (I think he had a bar either across the street...or down the street a bit)...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I liked Kelly ok, obviously was a talented passer.

Tore up the USFL, and led the Bills to the 4 straight SB's.

You'd think he could have gotten it done in at least one of them.

Always devastating and tragic to lose a child.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    I don't like him as a player...DLoc...because I am a Steeler fan...and generally speaking...if there's another team that's fucking dominating the league...other than the Steelers...I hate them...

nothing more or less than that...

I also would get pissed off every time they compared him to Bradshaw on the field...

Yo Nick...did you ever goto a bar named NoNames?

A friend of mine owned it...closed a few years back...but I used to go there in the early 90's for big events.

Was there one night during Kelly's qb challenge...and was sitting in the middle of Moon, Kosar, Bruce Smith and a few others. Kelly wasn't there (I think he had a bar either across the street...or down the street a bit)...
    Holy shit, I remember the name, but not the location...That was in the city right?

Yeah, those bars are tough to keep going here. KELLY's place folded awhile ago.

Those guys used to hang out (and probably still do to a lesser extent) at "The Big Tree Inn" right by RW Stadium. I saw Darryl TALLEY there a lot, he used to bring in his entourage, a lot of good lookin' birds. Those fucking guys could drink, and on an autumn, saturday night too.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah Nick D...most definately in the City...

it was a relatively small place considering the others that were on the same stretch...and there were a bunch...

I shit you not...fucking Bruce Smith comes walking in...with 3 paper grocery bags...2 full...

he sits at the bar...and opens up one...and it's full of fucking wings...

now you have to realize...I'm sitting in the bar not realizing that there was anything going on...Bar was relatively empty...and here I am...a big fucking sports fan...and in comes Bruce Smith...with 2 full grocery bags full of wings...and the other to put the bones in...

which he ended up not needing because Anthony (the friend that's parents owned the bar) walked behind the bar...comped him beer for the night...gave him a plate for the wings, and told the waitresses to make sure there weren't more than 5 bones on his plate at one time...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    But the real surreal moment came the following night...we went to a Grateful Dead show...and had left early...the bars there were open until 4...so we headed to nonames...without Anthony...just figured we could keep the fucking motor runnin' after the show...we get there...

and there's this woman out in front of the bar...Anthony had said she was a cig butt bum...

so we lit one up...and through a half lit cigarette on the ground...lmfao...and you would have thought we tossed down a million dollars. She moved faster than Derek Jeter running towards naked penis...

but we walk in...and standing not two feet past the bouncer chair...was Warren Moon. Now...I look to my friend, and say, "That looks like Warren Moon..."

My friend says...Why the fuck would Warren Moon be here...

lmfao...

and he was right...so we take another 10 steps...and I literally run smack into this HUGE dude...tall...I look up...and it's Bernie Kosar...whom I to this day hate...

As I'm staring at him...I say to my friend Brian...

"Dude, WTF is up with the lookalike qb's here..."

and Kosar says, "Vinny Testeverde, nice to meet you..." cracks up...and walks around me...

sits at the same table with Moon...

Testeverde was there...Bruce showed up again with wings...

Dave Krieg..and a few others were there as well...

Marino and Kelly were across the street at some shindig...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    But the real surreal moment came the following night...we went to a Grateful Dead show...and had left early...the bars there were open until 4...so we headed to nonames...without Anthony...just figured we could keep the fucking motor runnin' after the show...we get there...

and there's this woman out in front of the bar...Anthony had said she was a cig butt bum...

so we lit one up...and through a half lit cigarette on the ground...lmfao...and you would have thought we tossed down a million dollars. She moved faster than Derek Jeter running towards naked penis...

but we walk in...and standing not two feet past the bouncer chair...was Warren Moon. Now...I look to my friend, and say, "That looks like Warren Moon..."

My friend says...Why the fuck would Warren Moon be here...

lmfao...

and he was right...so we take another 10 steps...and I literally run smack into this HUGE dude...tall...I look up...and it's Bernie Kosar...whom I to this day hate...

As I'm staring at him...I say to my friend Brian...

"Dude, WTF is up with the lookalike qb's here..."

and Kosar says, "Vinny Testeverde, nice to meet you..." cracks up...and walks around me...

sits at the same table with Moon...

Testeverde was there...Bruce showed up again with wings...

Dave Krieg..and a few others were there as well...

Marino and Kelly were across the street at some shindig...
    Kelly was real close with MOON and MARINO for awhile.

Ha ha! Your BRUCE SMITH story always confirmed what a bullshitter that guy was.. I remember that reporters used to always mention in their articles periodically about SMITH, who was never really that popular of a guy, that he always ate super healthy. Only grilled chicken or lean steak blah blah blah (no chicken wings or beer)... Then they'd sort of put little digs at him in for always getting the perennial "injury at the beginning of training camp" so he could sit out and watch, then he'd be just fine for pre-season. SMITH's biggest media nemesis was JERRY SULLIVAN, who used to always call out SMITH when he was being a floater, or just playing for sacks, and not trying to stop the run as much. SULLY, who is a really good columnist for the BUFFALO NEWS, subtly made fun of SMITH for his big Lays potato chips commercial when he supposedly used a spit bucket between takes, and never ate a chip.

I think SULLY said something to the effect, "yeah, but now SMITH's in the 'best shape of his life' again, just in time to ride the pine at training camp."

BRUCE SMITH also "fell asleep" at a traffic light near his home in VIRGINIA in the wee hours of the morning. But it wasn't because he was drinking at the local establishment, even though he had been idling at the light for over an hour apparently. He said he was "narcoleptic," the fact that he was just under the legal limit had nothing to do with it.

I could go on and on about these guys, I knew some people indirectly connected to the team, and they were the only show in town from about 1988 to 1995.

I don't know if you know the mod SENSIBLE SHOES over at DDLR, but maybe we should ask her what she knows about the reporter named LORI, that caused a severe feud between KELLY and REED (they were both fucking her at the same time, and each thought they were the only one.) Afterward, it was rumored KELLY tried not to throw to REED for a while. That was right before the superbowl years...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I remember the fact that they didn't get along at one point...

trust me dude...it was Bruce Smith...eating a bag...two bags of fucking wings...

after Habib got the guy a plate...I asked him why the fuck he would let him bring in someone elses wings...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I remember the fact that they didn't get along at one point...

trust me dude...it was Bruce Smith...eating a bag...two bags of fucking wings...

after Habib got the guy a plate...I asked him why the fuck he would let him bring in someone elses wings...
    BRUCE ate a lot of that stuff, he also drank like a fish.

And those guys were Gods among us here. BRUCE could have killed a deer, brought it in, gutted it, and eaten raw and any bar owner would have gladly cleaned up the entrails for him.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Trust me...I know that's the truth...and he was there long...and really late...

after the dead show...we were there until about 3 AM...and he was there when we left...drinking...and eating...a lot...lmfao...and no spit bucket...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Trust me...I know that's the truth...and he was there long...and really late...

after the dead show...we were there until about 3 AM...and he was there when we left...drinking...and eating...a lot...lmfao...and no spit bucket...
    Oh, I believe ya', I'm just saying what a phoney BRUCE could be. He used to say all this absurd shit. I can't remember most of it, but he was a very good end that could have been great.

How was that DEAD show?

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    lmfao...

it was great...second time I saw them...Sting was opening...

mind you...I wasn't a Dead fan...

also saw them in Buffalo with Steve Miller and some other band opening...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Both times to HUGE crowds at Rich...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Both times to HUGE crowds at Rich...
    I'm not a DEAD fan much myself, but I remember (I'm thinking late 80's, maybe 1990) a lot of fights, which led to a mini riot, took place at RICH, and the DEAD were pissed off and basically said they would never play the stadium here again. I think they stopped for like a year or so...And then came right back.

The DEAD was one of two bands that could consistantly sell out that venue, the other was the STONES, and they skip BUFFALO in favor of more Toronto shows now. Selling that place out is no small feat since it had/has one of the largest seating capacities of any NFL stadium. I saw The WHO there in 89.'
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 08-06-2005 at 06:26 PM.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My first show at Rich...I knew I was in a scary place...lmfao...

they opened with that one hit that they had...

and we were roaming around the concourse...they start playing...and this dude that was laying in a heap...stands up...

and runs as fast as he can right into a wall...

I was like..."holy fuck...here we go..."

Weird shit man...weird shit...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've never seen so many people in my life...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My first show at Rich...I knew I was in a scary place...lmfao...

they opened with that one hit that they had...

and we were roaming around the concourse...they start playing...and this dude that was laying in a heap...stands up...

and runs as fast as he can right into a wall...

I was like..."holy fuck...here we go..."

Weird shit man...weird shit...
    You should see the football games there. A lot of parents will no longer take their kids...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've been to a few...

a couple of Monday Night games with Pittsburgh...as well...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My Rich Stadium experience, copied from the "greatest play you've seen" thread... I've finally remembered that the player we came to see was Mike Barnes, DT/DE of the Colts, who I believe was from Cambridge Springs....

I made a group trip to Orchard Park, NY in about '76 or so...The Bills were playing the BALTIMORE Colts...One of the people in the group were related to one of the D-lineman of the Colts (so long ago I can't remember who it was)....

We had good seats about 10 rows back at about the 10 yard line....

I believe the Bills threw a long pass to one of their receivers, who was horizontal, about 4 feet in the air, and caught it with one hand....

I used to see it on highlight shows all the time, but since it's been almost 30 years now, don't hardly ever see it anymore....

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is supposed to be a thread about the death of Hunter. What the fuck is wrong with you people....JEEZ!
    There are those that do and those that don't. Those that didn't see what those that did had done and wish they had especially when "She looked so F#*kin GOOD"

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Was it Rashad?

I think Ahmad Rashad played for them back then...before he played for minny...or I could be on crack...lmfao...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I started the fucking thing...it goes where I want it to go...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    and it's not like you've added anything to the Hunter conversation...so quit being a fucking hypocrit...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DLRDUDE
    This is supposed to be a thread about the death of Hunter. What the fuck is wrong with you people....JEEZ!
    Who's Hunter?

Has he even played at Rich Stadium?
    HEY NOW!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Was it Rashad?

I think Ahmad Rashad played for them back then...before he played for minny...or I could be on crack...lmfao...
    I'm thinking it may have been BOB CHANDLER...

He died of cancer not too long ago.
    RASHAD was gone by then...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ben halen
    Who's Hunter?

Has he even played at Rich Stadium?

Thread Information