Thread: Best Of Vol. 1 vs. David Lee Roth: The Best

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2010 @ 12:54 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Best Of Vol. 1 vs. David Lee Roth: The Best

Which Greatest Hits album do you believe was better? Van Halen's 1996 Best Of Vol. 1 or DLRs 1997 The Best?

The Best kicks ass! 20 great songs, even some non-hits, but they picked the best non-hits. Kicks BOV1 in the ass!

BOV1 had two great songs from the reunited CVH. They missed many CVH hits though. Songs like HFT, YRGM, Beautiful Girls, EWS, Mean Street, and something off Diver Down. They also picked around really good Van Hagar songs. Poundcake, Right Now, and Humans Being are good picks, but they missed Runaround, Black and Blue, The Seventh Seal, Wont Get Fooled Again, and Summer Nights (an original Dave tune).

Whats your opinion on this?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Nir - VAN - a
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-30-2017 @ 02:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Summer Nights is an original Dave tune? No way!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2010 @ 12:54 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
    Summer Nights is an original Dave tune? No way!
    Summer Nights, Good Enough, and Eat Thy Neighbor (unreleased original) were all 5150 Dave tunes. Only two were used because ETN showed 'No Change' in the bands performance, which was the reason sam was hired. So Summer Nights and Good Enough are actually Roth tunes, only sung by hagar.

Nir - VAN - a
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by vhrocks2005
    Summer Nights, Good Enough, and Eat Thy Neighbor (unreleased original) were all 5150 Dave tunes. Only two were used because ETN showed 'No Change' in the bands performance, which was the reason sam was hired. So Summer Nights and Good Enough are actually Roth tunes, only sung by hagar.
    Not finished songs...Dave had other lyrics / melody lines etc...

The music from those songs were used...but were rewritten with Sammy....into different songs.

Dave would have songwriting credit otherwise. And I'm sure Sam would never record anything that Dave wrote, at least in the studio.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-23-2016 @ 08:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The best

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,399 Times in 6,055 Posts

BOV1 is unlistenable.

You've heard the VH songs a zillion times and if you go for a piss there is the danger you will come back into the room with a Hagar song playing which is unacceptable.

The two new songs are fine but sound a little too Van Hagerish with Dave singing for my liking due to the lack of input he was allowed.

I've had the Best of DLR in the car CD player this week but it's not got the selection of songs I would have chosen. I find myself constantly flipping the little 'next track' button on my steering wheel. Don't piss me off is starting to piss me off.

I've also found myself much less excited by Vai era stuff recently than I was at the time. It doesn't seem to have aged that well.

I think the main problem is that compilation albums are for casual listeners rather than the sort of idiots that would register at a fan website.

Cheers!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The music from those songs were used...but were rewritten with Sammy....into different songs.

Dave would have songwriting credit otherwise. And I'm sure Sam would never record anything that Dave wrote, at least in the studio.
    Exactly.

If you had given to Hagar, for example, the music to Little Dreamer and asked him to write a melody, lyrics and sing it can you imagine how it would have ended up sounding?

Fuck can you imagine even Jump?

The verse would have been words sung on the beat of the synth so I...was...walkin...along...the...street ohhh baby.

Cheers!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 3,459 Posts

I've heard VAN HAGAR swiped his melodies but the lyrics were indeed different...DAVE supposedly gets a good percentage of 5150 sales...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hmmm....

Where did you hear that?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 3,459 Posts

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    Hmmm....

Where did you hear that?
    Which part? I think SHARK told me ROTH gets a cut, and I think the ROTH 5150 sessions is well established...

Nir - VAN - a
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

By copyright law...if Dave collaborated w/ Ed on the songs that were to become 5150, even if it was just Ed's guitar riffs that ended up on it...then Dave would get a cut. They call it "intended collaboration" I believe.

But I doubt he does...he had to fight them for %25 of the six pack. And I'm sure he would never want to claim anything about 5150 as his own.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

when dave left, he left for good and gave all he has done for 5150 to the sisters...he never asked for a cent from that work...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-30-2017 @ 02:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by vhrocks2005
    You can't tell me Dave wrote shit about fishing poles and holes (or whatever) for "Hot Summer Nights". That adolescent shit has Hagar all over it.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,503 Posts

Blog Entries
    Outside of the 1996 CVH tracks, wasn't all that thrilled with BOV1...even the CVH stuff on it. Can understand why AVH (reportedly) picked those CVH tunes, as they are probably the most played tracks from each of the 6 pack albums as far as radioplay went, but, to me, they didn't really represent the best of CVH. Not saying those tracks suck, but none of those tracks are even my faves from the albums they were taken from. Plus, about half the album is Hagar shit that is of no interest to me. So, I basically shelled out the price of a whole album for two songs, when it came right down to it...fuck, the pressing I got had RWTD all mixed up in terms of sequencing, like a bunch of chimps got a hold of the master tapes and a pair of scissors. Pretty much, um, what the fuck was up with THAT cut and paste job?

The Best was a better buy from my POV.

Real American Hero
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    05-22-2006 @ 10:50 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I think they both suck.

Frankly, "Best of" was highly dissapointing. Other than the 2 new songs...and humans bieng(Granted if you didn't want to buy the Twister soundtrack)...their is nothing special about the albulm.
    Seriously, the whole vibe is killed... They had so much more room for songs, and they just hashed out about a single per albulm, then put it out to release.

A better idea, since this was the "Best of Vol 1", they should have made it all dave songs, and then added on the new songs, and just cut the sammy input....and at a later time come out with a Best of Vol 2 which would be BOBW, minus dave's songs.

As for "The Best"

You know, it's ok...but they could have had better songs. What I would have really perfered was a double disc release, one disc featuring his best work in van halen, and his best work solo...heck, that could have probably boosted some sales.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2012 @ 07:48 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Originally posted by zeronumber

A better idea, since this was the "Best of Vol 1", they should have made it all dave songs, and then added on the new songs, and just cut the sammy input....and at a later time come out with a Best of Vol 2 which would be BOBW, minus dave's songs.

EVH/AVH would have NEVER done that. I mean...the sales could be comparable in a way that even sheep couldnt argue with.

I mean they use the excuse Roth era sold more cos of Vinyl, to CD, to Remastered CD etc. Well if it was a direct one on one sales figures...Roth would win hands down in a way where even stupid loop holes couldnt be used. And I mean, even Hagar fans would probably have to admit Roth era would sell better.

they've never allowed that obvious fact to be spelt out.

fucking pussies.

(I doubt s

Thread Information