Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    11-18-2005 @ 04:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Breakdown of new Van Halen book w/EVH tribute

Just go over to: stevelukather.net

Sorry, I'm too much of a friggin' numbnut to post it over here. Perhaps someone else can. But if you simply go to that site the very first thing you'll see is the article about this book. And when you click on where it says "articles" the entire breakdown of the book pops up, complete with an email where you can contact the author directly.

It sounds amazing. Although I'm still friggin' wondering whether it will be a Classic VH cover, EVH cover, or (God Forbid) Van Hagar cover?!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'll be on the cover, Plus I'll be the next lead singer of the reminants of Van Halen, Via Rockstar:Van Halen, Muwahahaha, JK.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well done, dude!! haha!!!!!

Cunning Linguist
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-23-2013 @ 10:03 PM
    Status
    Thanks

From the birth of the VH brothers all the way up to the recent 2004 tour, it's all here. Includes a Foreword by Brian May of Queen, as well as a tribute to Edward Van Halen by over 100 of the world's greatest musicians! From Allan Holdsworth and Steve Vai to James Hetfield and Zakk Wylde, all the greats came forward to personally share their thoughts, memories and stories about the man simply known as "King Edward." There's plenty of commentary on VH, the band, too. In fact, here's a small sampling of some of the incredible commentary provided by just a few of the more than 100 amazing musicians who participated in the tribute:

"Without a doubt, Eddie Van Halen is the greatest guitar player who has ever lived." -- Zakk Wylde

"I always thought Edward was great. He's a fantastic guitar player." -- Allan Holdsworth

"I am honored to call Ed and Al my soul brothers. It's inspirational to be near greatness like that." -- Steve Lukather

"What a wonderful musician...absolutely the pinnacle of guitar playing in our lifetime." -- Brian May

"EVH is certainly one of the top innovative virtuosos in history." -- Ted Nugent

"I think Eddie Van Halen is the Godfather of shred guitar. He is 'the one.' -- Mark Tremonti

Basically, there has never been a book of this nature done. Ever. Until now. This project was put together by a fan, for the fans. As Guitar World magazine's Alan Paul recently stated after receiving an advanced copy, "I liked what I read a lot. This book is a labor of love and all true VH fans will love it."

So if you're a true fan of VH, a true fan of hard rock, and a true fan of guitar, this is the book for you. Not only because it covers and discusses Edward Van Halen & the band in great detail, but because it also covers, discusses and gives major respect to many different players. We talk about Jimi Hendrix in this book. We talk about Eric Clapton in this book. We talk about Allan Holdsworth in this book. We talk about Randy Rhoads in this book. In fact, there is even a chapter dedicated to the late-great Randy Rhoads where the author brought in none other than Kevin DuBrow, frontman for Randy's original band, Quiet Riot. Kevin discusses everything from how he and Randy met and formed QR to what it was like to play the same club scene as VH during the mid-late 1970s and witness their growth as a band. The book includes a detailed album-by-album discography, too. And there is even an "FAQ" section which focuses on and breaks down everything from the elements that make EVH a great guitarist and the story of the frankenstrat to the story of Edward's (and Steve Lukather's) legendary collaboration with Quincy Jones & Michael Jackson on "Beat It" and the story of "Eruption." Along with much more! There's even a chapter dedicated to "Tapping" which explains the history of tapping and includes fresh commentary from such legendary players such as Steve Hackett and Harvey "The Snake" Mandel.

Please stay tuned for details in the very near future as to the price of this book, along with precisely where you can order it!!! We're literally talking a matter of weeks here...so please sit tight! However, any and all questions concerning this project can be sent directly to the author at: VanHalen101@hotmail.com

stevelukather.net, August 12th 2005
    Sorry I wasn't paying attention.......what was that again???
    Last edited by Jurak; 08-14-2005 at 10:26 AM.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Smartazz!!!

Man, that's awesome. I'm tellin' ya, I'm really lookin' forward to this friggin' book. It's about time someone recognizes and pays respect to that man and that band. And while I'm really intrigued by everything I've heard, I'm really lookin' forward to finding out who VH sold more records with, because I heard there is a chapter in this book that specifically points out and confirms who VH sold more with between DD and SH. I'm tired of all these stupid music channels goin' on and on about how VH got bigger and sold more with SH. Frankly, I just don't buy it. They certainly remained a succesful act, but I think they sold way more with DD. Hopefully this book proves it, cuz I heard it did.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 03:09 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 856 Posts

I'll read the whole fuckin' thing to ya. Here ya go.

***CHAPTER ONE***

"In the beginning was a kid named Eddie with a lot of talent. He was met by a guy named DAVID LEE ROTH who kicked his ass and got him to actually USE it.

***CHAPTER TWO***

Unfortunately, the brightest flame burns quickest, so in 1985, David had to walk and Eddie met some dickhead named Sammy, who was pseudo-famous for putting his music onto soundtracks, and Eddie forgot how to play.

***CHAPTER THREE***

Ed finally got some sense back into his head in 1996 and called up DAVID LEE ROTH.

***CHAPTER FOUR***

But Eddie lost all sense and his brother Alex, the drummer, is a cunt.

***EPILOGUE***

Eddie totally loses his fucking mind and his brothers still a cunt.

THE END

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

GRATE read Bob......

Maybe they'll get Steve Buscemi to play EVH in the movie version..."I'M THE DRUNK"

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bwahahaha!!!

LIFOYNSEAE
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-12-2011 @ 01:25 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Wouldn't touch it, the first 6 albums are all the 'reading' I need to be doing.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    Doubt there's gonna be anything new or insightful in this book that couldn't be learned from listening to the music and compiling a bunch of Eds interviews.

Short of some CVH live stuff being released or a CVH reunion, I'm all done with Ed Van Halen.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I dunno, perhaps I'm like DD in the sense that I know he is a well-read dude. I'm definitely down to read this thing. I mean, a hundred of the baddest musicians on the planet coming forward in 2005 to pay tribute to and share their thoughts on Eddie and the band?!? Are you kidding me?!? That sounds like pretty insightful, fresh commentary to me. Shit man, that Brian May foreword alone has me sold!

SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2012 @ 12:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

You're kidding, right?

Page after page of guitarists going "Yeah, man, Ed changed my LIFE! he sure does know how to shread! "Eruption" was the most revolutionary thing since the toaster!"

If I want a wank fest, I'll buy a copy of Penthouse Forum and read that!

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

BWAHAHAAAAAA!!! Now that's funny. Then again, if it was page after page of the baddest musicians on the planet paying tribute to DLR, well, you know you'd eat that shit up with a silver spoon. I mean, I know I would! I guess we'll see soon enuff. I've heard it's beyond just "EVH is the greatest" or "EVH kicks ass" type of commentary. Apparently there's a lot more to it than that. It's supposedly deeper than that, but again, who knows? There's been a helluva buzz goin on about this book, and according that guy at Lukather's site, it's "extraordinary." That a pretty strong word right there. Hopefully it ain't a buncha hype or bullshit, or ima hunt his ass down and piledrive him...bwahahahaha.

Live from the Mojo Dojo
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2019 @ 06:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'll get the book at the library, Ed's not getting his beer money from me unless he does a CVH reunion tour.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Lukather's that dude from Toto right?

That's a pretty menacing name for a dipshit that plays songs about the rains in africa.

SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2012 @ 12:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by rustoffa

That's a pretty menacing name for a dipshit that plays songs about the rains in africa.
    Hey, man, I bless those fucking rains down in Africa!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by academic punk
    You're kidding, right?

Page after page of guitarists going "Yeah, man, Ed changed my LIFE! he sure does know how to shread! "Eruption" was the most revolutionary thing since the toaster!"

If I want a wank fest, I'll buy a copy of Penthouse Forum and read that!

Nail on head.

Don't really need to shell out any money to have Brian May or Zakk Wylde reaffirm what I already know, and I'm really not interested in what Ed came up with after Roth left, so about half of the book would be a waste of time anyway...unless I want to find out exactly what type of drill Ed used for the Poundcake intro (am sure some would be very concerned to know if Ed had a drill bit in it at the time, and what size it was, etc.)

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by rustoffa
    Lukather's that dude from Toto right?

Damn, there's more hilarious one-liners on this site than in most comedy clubs!

I agree with Terry. Yeah, we all know EVH did his thing and is a legend and so forth. But I've never seen anything like this done. The guy has earned his fair share of respect over the years, but it's never been put in one spot. So I'm definitely down to see what's said. I dunno, I think some of us fans can be really friggin' jaded cuz we feel like we know it all. I tend to look at it from the other side of the coin. If some kid gets his hands on this book, shit, it will expose and educate his ass to the MIGHTY VH. Way I see it, that can never be a bad thing.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ColombianNektie
    Damn, there's more hilarious one-liners on this site than in most comedy clubs!

I agree with Terry. Yeah, we all know EVH did his thing and is a legend and so forth. But I've never seen anything like this done. The guy has earned his fair share of respect over the years, but it's never been put in one spot. So I'm definitely down to see what's said.
    Welp, in all honesty dude, most everything's been beaten to death. I just try to bounce in here and there to keep it light and/or what-the-fucked.

I'm sure the book will be a page turner. I'm honestly looking forward to Brian May's paralleliums' regarding the Frankenstrat.

If the book races to #1 on the non-fiction best-seller list, I'll wade through the irony!

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I feel ya bro. Shit, this book sounds like more of a cult classic to me than some attempt at mainstream success and a big payday. Whoever wrote it definitely did it for the fans, cuz you're not hearing a friggin' word about it over at sites for MTV or any of that bullshit. Definitely more of an independant, underground thing. Which to me means it could actually be honest and good. And like I said, if some kid gets his hands on this book and it exposes him to VH and teaches him all 'bout VH, shit, ain't nothin' wrong with that brother.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-30-2009 @ 03:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by bueno bob
    I'll read the whole fuckin' thing to ya. Here ya go.

***CHAPTER ONE***

"In the beginning was a kid named Eddie with a lot of talent. He was met by a guy named DAVID LEE ROTH who kicked his ass and got him to actually USE it.

***CHAPTER TWO***

Unfortunately, the brightest flame burns quickest, so in 1985, David had to walk and Eddie met some dickhead named Sammy, who was pseudo-famous for putting his music onto soundtracks, and Eddie forgot how to play.

***CHAPTER THREE***

Ed finally got some sense back into his head in 1996 and called up DAVID LEE ROTH.

***CHAPTER FOUR***

But Eddie lost all sense and his brother Alex, the drummer, is a cunt.

***EPILOGUE***

Eddie totally loses his fucking mind and his brothers still a cunt.

Thanks for the synopsis Bueno Bob.

THE END

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Another writeup has just popped up at www.blabbermouth.net

Wow, this shit is spreading like wildfire and that's very cool.

Cunning Linguist
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

http://www.backbeatbooks.com/images/...9308389_lg.jpg

Yet another book,

Backbeat Books has announced plans to publish a book dedicated to VAN HALEN's virtuoso guitarist Eddie Van Halen. Entitled "Eddie Van Halen: Know the Man, Play the Music" (view cover image), the book was authored by Malcolm Dome and Rod Fogg and is scheduled for release on August 29. It will retail for $24.95. A book synopsis reads as follows:

"Bursting out of Los Angeles in the late '70s, Eddie Van Halen and his eponymous band lit the fuse for an explosion of hard rock, heavy metal, and glam. Amid the band's bombastic attack, Eddie's unbelievable guitar pyrotechnics instantly elevated him to an icon and made him the most imitated guitarist since Jimi Hendrix. Now, Backbeat Books is excited to present 'Eddie Van Halen: Know the Man, Play the Music', from the new Fretmaster series that tells the story of musicians, their bands, and their playing.

"Kicking off with the group's beginning, Eddie Van Halen recounts each step of the band's career, from the Sunset Strip to the US Festival and Monsters of Rock tour. The book pores over Eddie's guitar style in expert detail, from Roth-era classics like 'Women & Children First' and 'Fair Warning' through the 'VAN HAGAR' years and right up to the 2004 reunion tour. Captivating vintage photos accompany an album-by-album critical analysis of the band’s music and Eddie's playing.

"Getting down to the business of learning his style, the 'Playing like Eddie' section features lessons on tapping, harmonics, rhythm, and other essential elements straight from the Van Halen trick bag. All of the exercises are presented in standard notation and tablature. To leave nothing in doubt, the included 32-track CD features all of the exercises, complete with backing tracks for play-along thrills. In addition, the book is conveniently spiral-bound so it lays flat on a table or music stand so readers can look at the exercises while they wail away on their guitars.

"Beyond the music, the authors devote an entire section on Eddie's equipment, including his amps, guitars, pickups, effects, and custom-made gear. Insider tips reveal how Eddie searched for (and found) his distinctive sound, from taking a chisel and soldering iron to a vintage Strat to dipping his pickups in wax and monkeying with his amp voltage to achieve his renowned 'brown sound.'"

For more information, visit www.backbeatbooks.com.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That Backbeat VH book is pure horseshit. I just got it through the mail about two weeks ago. I bought it from Amazon. The fuckin' thing is just 106 pages, and half of those pages are filled with pics. This author tries to mask the fact he has nothing to say with pics. Then, there's a disgusting amount of misinformation in that book. They get so many facts wrong. I almost puked. It's horrible.

Other than the fact the author seems to be pro-Diamond Dave (which is cool) that shit sucks. I wouldn't use it as a fuckin' coaster. Not to mention the lessons are crap cuz they don't have actual transcriptions of VH songs. Rather they teach you how to literally play "like" Eddie, not Eddie's songs per se. Big thumbs down on the Backbeat Fretmaster VH book.

Hopefully that Van Halen 101 book isn't anywhere near as disappointing. I mean if people like Brian May are involved, that VH 101 book can't be that bad. In fact if you go over the website for the publisher of VH 101, www.authorhouse.com and look it up in their Bookstore you can check out all the book info plus the cover shot plus a free preview of the commentary Zakk Wylde gave for the tribute to EVH section. It's wicked.
    Last edited by ColombianNektie; 08-23-2005 at 08:01 PM.

Cunning Linguist
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

well if i wanted a music lesson I'd get Curt Mitchell's DVD....... he plays Eddie, just like Eddie....... did....at one time ....

many moons ago.....

Thread Information