What the fuck is the deal with REO SPEEDWAGON?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Susie Q
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

I gotta say I really liked this band. REO put on a great show! I saw them a few times in concert. I gotta agree with Bueno Bob though....they went belly up after High Infidelity. There was another album after that one that I think I bought.

I also liked Journey, Kansas, Heart, I also have the Best of Bread album too. It's that mellow stuff that makes ya just kick back and enjoy...

I try like hell to keep things all fluffy bunnies and pink daisies. But brutal truth smacks me in the ass all the time.
    ~Susie Q 2009

Comment

• EbDawson
      Veteran
      • Apr 2004

A poor man's Aerosmith. Had some very good tunes in the late 70's early 80's, then hit it big with Hi-Infidelity. They then started trying to impress the 14 year-old girls and went downhill with all the ballad crap. I saw them a couple of years ago, they still put on a pretty good show. Yeah, Back on the Road Again was/is a bad-ass song.
      "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• diamondsgirl
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Apr 2004

Never liked them. I always found them to be just plain boring. Blah.
        “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• Matt White
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Susie Q
          I gotta say I really liked this band. REO put on a great show! I saw them a few times in concert. I gotta agree with Bueno Bob though....they went belly up after High Infidelity. There was another album after that one that I think I bought.

I also liked Journey, Kansas, Heart, I also have the Best of Bread album too. It's that mellow stuff that makes ya just kick back and enjoy...
          Always a pleasure to see Susie on here!!!

Welcome back!!!

HIGH INFIDELITY?

7th grade dances......'ya gotta learn to slow dance to sumthin'!!!

Comment

• BigBadBrian
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Interesting thread at an interesting time.

REO Speedwagon was my first rock concert back in High School...over 20 years ago. Before all that mushy High Infidelity crap and really before they started touring outside of the Midwest on a constant basis.

Anyway, I saw them last Friday night at my local Navy base at a free show. My wife wanted to go, so I went. I was pleasantly surprised. They bring in groups and have a buttload of sponsors foot the bill and even the public is invited in to several shows throughout the summer. They make up the revenue via beer sales.

Anyway they played all their old radio hits all the chick hits plus some really old stuff Like You Do, Keep Pushin', Time for Me to Fly, Roll With The Changes, Back on The Road Again, 157 Riverside Avenue, and Ridin' The Storm Out.

There were several thousand people there that night. Probably more than what showed up for Van Hagar's last performance.

The show was better also.
            “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
              Anyway, I saw them last Friday night at my local Navy base at a free show. My wife wanted to go, so I went. I was pleasantly surprised. They bring in groups and have a buttload of sponsors foot the bill and even the public is invited in to several shows throughout the summer. They make up the revenue via beer sales.

Anyway they played all their old radio hits all the chick hits plus some really old stuff Like You Do, Keep Pushin', Time for Me to Fly, Roll With The Changes, Back on The Road Again, 157 Riverside Avenue, and Ridin' The Storm Out.

There were several thousand people there that night. Probably more than what showed up for Van Hagar's last performance.

The show was better also.
              That was over at Little Creek, right ??

I was thinking about going, oh well....

Will probably go see the Crue on the 6th....
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Susie Q
                Veteran
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                Always a pleasure to see Susie on here!!!

Welcome back!!!

HIGH INFIDELITY?

7th grade dances......'ya gotta learn to slow dance to sumthin'!!!
                Hi Matt!! Yah, got some time to post some stuff now and again.

I was a bit older when that came out. Not by much... I was like 16 years old or so.

The album I was talking about after Hi Infidelity was "Good Trouble." That wasn't a bad album. The last one I bought was "The Hits".

Here is a bit of trivia I found while trying to figure out what the name of the one album was...

The actual house at 157 Riverside in Westport Connecticut, where the band stayed while making the first record. Neal took the picture in 1970.

I try like hell to keep things all fluffy bunnies and pink daisies. But brutal truth smacks me in the ass all the time.
                ~Susie Q 2009

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                  That was over at Little Creek, right ??

I was thinking about going, oh well....

Will probably go see the Crue on the 6th....
                  Yeah, Little Creek.

I'm thinking about Crue as well. You can still get kickass seats from what I'm told.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Unchainme
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Apr 2005

bump and gonna necro posting

fucking kill me for this, but I actually like some of their stuff, did you know Joe Walsh was a mentor to Richrath?, and actually played slide guitar on the studio version "Ridin' the storm out"

I think there are certain bands that are decent for being what they are, cheesey 70's/early 80's Pop-Rock, I can respect those groups over Van Hagar which was an abortion and a shadowy sellout of their former self.

BTW, "Roll with the changes" is fucking amazing, even somewhat cheesey lyrics can't kill how good it is.
                    Last edited by Unchainme; 07-11-2010, 11:17 PM.
                    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• ODShowtime
                      ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

REO speedwagon sucks
                      gnaw on it

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

Saw them in July of 1977 in Columbia, SC opening for The Doobie Brothers. Second show I had seen from the Doobie's tour that summer (first one was May 2, 1977 in Wichita, KS with Foreigner opening on their first tour).

That was when REO was still a real rock band, and not a pussified pop band. Keven and Gary were playing '59-'60 Les Paul Standards through Marshall half-stacks. The stage was only about 3 feet off the floor. I went right up front at one point and took a bunch of pocket instamatic snapshots. I still have them. I was within only 6 feet of Gary in some of the photos. Got some red-eye shots of Kevin that probably blinded him, lol.

I hate what they became.

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                          I hate what they became.
                          Amen. Remember their Live Aid appearance? The original plan was to come out and jam on "Golden Country" for their allotted 15 minutes. Not only would this have been astoundingly cool and presented the band in an entirely different light to millions, the song itself would have fit the moment perfectly. Instead, at the last minute they opted to play a forgettable "hits" package that pretty much left them in the same general area of light entertainment occupied by the Hooters.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Every time I hear REO Speedwagon, I'm reminded of how magically delicious that "Lucky Charms" cereal is.

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
                              Every time I hear REO Speedwagon, I'm reminded of how magically delicious that "Lucky Charms" cereal is.
                              Yeah, the opening verse of "Roll With The Changes" does that to me every time.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• lesfunk
                                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

REO Speedwagon makes ASIA sound like Led Zeppelin...
                                http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

Working...