• Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

The State of the Current Heavyweights

Whither the heavyweight?
    Big men are scarce these days, but division isn't bare
    Posted: Friday August 19, 2005 10:14AM; Updated: Friday August 19, 2005 11:24AM

With his decision over Monte Barrett last Saturday, Hasim Rahman (left) set up a showdown with Vitali Klitschko this fall.
    Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

By Richard O'Brien, SI.com

It's ring-weary cliché to bemoan the state of the heavyweight division (and, of course, as everybody always adds, "as go the heavyweights, so goes boxing"). Trashing the big boys has been a tradition since John L. Sullivan ran out of sonsabitches to lick back in the Gay '90s.

There probably even were grizzled old ringsiders in the 1970s griping about how all they had to watch was Ali and Frazier dancing around with each other again and again, with nothing on the horizon but a bunch of faceless contenders named Foreman, Norton, Holmes, Shavers, Lyle and Quarry.

But let's face it, by any historical measure, ours is scarcely a golden era for the big men. (The rest of the sport, however -- to put a lie to the corollary cliché -- is doing just fine, thank you. From the pyrotechnics of Diego Corrales-Jose Luis Castillo to the brilliance of Winky Wright, Erik Morales and Floyd Mayweather Jr., to the emergence of Jermain Taylor and Jeff Lacy, the lighter weights are producing exciting, edifying action.)

Ask the average sports fan who the best heavyweight is today and he or she probably will say Mike Tyson. Never mind the fact that Tyson -- who hasn't been a real fighter in more than a decade -- lately has been reduced to skirmishing with the Italian coast guard and being rejected by Jenna Jameson.

Ask the average boxing fan the same question and he or she probably will shrug and say, "Klitschko?" Ask which of the oversized Ukrainian Ph.D.'s (WBC champ Vitali or his brother, former WBO champ Wladamir) the fan means and he or she likely will shrug and say, "Er, the big one?"

Still, I would argue that while we wait for the arrival of the next great heavyweight -- some undefeated knockout artist with a heart-tugging back story who once again will pique the interest of the casual sports fan who hasn't paid attention to boxing since Tyson was undefeated and doing Pepsi commercials -- there are some worthwhile stories in the division. Two of them were on display last Saturday in Chicago on the Don King-promoted Showtime pay-per-view card.

In the main event, Hasim Rahman waged a careful, conservative, but very smart and tough fight against Monte Barrett to emerge with a 12-round unanimous decision. The fight drew boos from the United Center crowd but earned The Rock something called the "interim WBC heavyweight championship" and, more important, a crack at Vitali Klitschko's title sometime before the end of the year.

Rahman, who knocked out Lennox Lewis to win the heavyweight crown back in 2001 only to be knocked out by Lewis in a return bout seven months later, appeared to be in the best shape of his career against Barrett. He is a lethal puncher with his right hand (ask Lewis) and knows what to do in the ring. He could make things very uncomfortable for Klitschko.
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Whither the heavyweight? (cont.)
    Posted: Friday August 19, 2005 10:14AM; Updated: Friday August 19, 2005 11:24AM

By Richard O'Brien, SI.com

Coincidentally, the only other fighter to defeat Lewis was on the undercard last Saturday. Oliver McCall flattened Lewis in two rounds to win the WBC heavyweight title way back in 1994. What most people remember about McCall, however (if they remember anything), is his meltdown in the ring during the rematch against Lewis -- truly one of the more bizarre moments in heavyweight championship history. Overcome by emotion, McCall experienced a nervous breakdown of sorts and wound up standing in the center of the ring in Las Vegas, arms at his side and weeping uncontrollably while a flummoxed Lewis threw ineffectual punches until referee Mills Lane stopped the bout.

Since then, McCall, known as the Atomic Bull, had won 16 of 18 bouts against largely mediocre competition while struggling with personal problems outside the ring. As Larry King would put it, "You look up 'under the radar' in the dictionary and you get a picture of Oliver McCall."
    At age 40, McCall was in Chicago as a last-minute fill-in for Andrew Golota against Polish heavyweight Przemyslaw Saleta. Most of the red-and-white flag-waving Polska fans in the United Center must have been expecting a good showing by their man, a former European champion who brought a record of 42-6 into the bout and, at 6-foot-4 and a hard 247 pounds, certainly looked like a serious heavyweight.

But from the opening bell, you could see McCall -- less imposing, but clearly in shape at 235 (barely three pounds more than what he was when he beat Lewis) -- going to work. He weathered some stiff jabs and hard body shots from Saleta, but all the while he was throwing jabs of his own, pressuring the bigger man and setting him up for right hands.

McCall began landing his right in the third and then, in the fourth, he found the range, backing Saleta to the ropes and stunning him with a big right uppercut. Eyes wide, McCall, always an excellent finisher, bored in with more rights then closed the deal with a quick left uppercut and a final straight right that dropped Saleta to his knees. Saleta beat the count, but just barely, and referee Geno Rodriguez waved the fight over.

Is McCall the Real McCoy in the heavyweight division? Of course not. But until the next Ali or even -- God help us -- the next Tyson comes along, there is a real pleasure in watching a couple of tough, experienced, smart and resourceful pros go about their business. And that's no bull.

Short jabs
    Don't cry for me, Poland: Saleta may have been KO'd by McCall, but he still has his girlfriend, Polish Playmate of the Month Kasia Kraszewska, in his corner. ... How about a pay-per-view showdown between ring announcers Michael "Let's Get Ready to Rumble" Buffer and "the classy" Jimmy Lennon Jr.? ... Ricardo Mayorga of Nicaragua claimed the vacant WBC light middleweight championship with a unanimous decision over smooth-boxing-but-outgunned Michele Piccirillo of Italy last Saturday. In the process, Mayorga retained his title as most obnoxious boxer in the sport with his mugging and showboating. ... DON'T MISS: This Saturday's HBO doubleheader, featuring the return of Fernando Vargas in a junior middleweight match against tough veteran Javier Castillejo and the exciting undefeated 126-pounder Rocky Juarez against Humberto Soto.
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

Heavyweight Power Rankings
      Rank Boxer
      1 Chris Byrd (38-2-1)
      The IBF champ is an undersized, underpowered southpaw with the speed and boxing skills to give any heavyweight fits. He's also a really nice guy. Just the recipe for an utterly unmarketable champion.

2 Hasim Rahman (41-5-1)
      Though far from electrifying in his win over Barrett, the former champ was in the best shape of his life and remains a very serious puncher. He will be a threat to Vitali Klitschko.

3 Vitali Klitschko (35-2)
      The "big" Klitschko (6-foot-7, 250-pound) and WBC titleholder is an imposing figure in the ring, but he remains an awkward boxer. At 34, he's past the point of being the savior of the division. Rahman will be a very tough test.

4 John Ruiz (41-5-1)
      As Roy Jones Jr. proved, the Quiet Man can be beaten by speed and movement, but he is as strong as anyone in the division and an accomplished infighter.

5 Lamon Brewster (32-2)
      A real nice guy -- just like his cousin, Byrd. Brewster looked good in recent wins over Golota and Wladamir Klitschko. He is scheduled to face German contender Luan Krasniqi in September.

6 James Toney (68-4-2)
      This is a guy who held the middleweight title 15 years ago. At 36 and about 230 pounds, Toney is a fighter who knows every move in the book. He beat Ruiz on a close decision in April but subsequently tested positive for a banned substance. The result was changed to a no-contest. Time is running out on Toney, who is slated to meet Dominick Guinn in October, but he remains a challenge for anybody in the division.

7 Samuel Peter (24-0)
      Plenty of folks are looking to the undefeated 24-year-old Nigerian to be the next great heavyweight. Certainly Peter, who faces Wladimir Klitschko Sept. 24 in Atlantic City, N.J., can punch, as his spectacular two-round KO of Taurus Sykes last month demonstrated -- but he remains raw and untested.

8 Calvin Brock (26-0)
      Undefeated, with wins over Jameel McCline and Clifford Etienne, but at 30, he is far from a young sensation. Has yet to be tested.

9 Wladimir Klitschko (44-3)
      The other Klitschko. Big, but not as big; good, but not as good. His hour may have come and gone unless he can somehow stop Peter.

10 David Tua (43-3-1)
      These are power rankings, right? Tua may be 32, just 5-foot-9½ and has lost already to Lewis and Byrd (and fought to a draw in 2003 with Rahman), but the Samoan strongman remains arguably the hardest puncher in the division. His left hook gives him a chance against anyone on this list.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Jesus...talk about a non-awe inspiring group of boxers...

Comment

• DlocRoth
          ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

David Tua?? WTF?

Holy desperation at filling out a top 10!!

They had to really dredge the lake to come up with Tua.

Call me insane, but I've always been a big Lights Out fan.

Him and Byrd.

Remember that fucking grapefruit sized egg Lewis put on Rahman's head a few years ago?

Damn that thing looked like a goiter.
          Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

I always loved this shot...the aftermath of the Lewis Rahman II fight...

you can't make that shit up...

Comment

• DlocRoth
              ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Wake up, buddy.
              Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• ALinChainz
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Peter does have awesome power. He is the most impressive of the group.

Like the sarticle says, Brock is a little old to be the savior of the division.

Hmmm ... funny ... absolutely no mention of Brian Minto ...

Comment

• DlocRoth
                  ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

What happened?

Comment

• DlocRoth
                    ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Oh wait, I think that was Holyfield that did that.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Holyfield did do that...8th round...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

Yeah...Peters...but I'm also hearing how much he's getting shielded...we'll see once he starts fighting the "upper" guys...

once he loses to one of these shit heals...we'll see how they talk about him...

Comment

Working...