Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-24-2015 @ 06:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Review From Oregon Show

Just for kicks: Former Van Halen front man gives fans young and old a chance to dance the night away

By Carolyn Lamberson
    The Register-Guard
    Published: Saturday, August 20, 2005

David Lee Roth is 49 years old. His days as lead singer of a mega-selling arena rock band are 20 years behind him.

But the former Van Halen front man still knows how to have a good time. And how to look good doing it.

Roth mined the vast catalog of Van Halen hits for his show Friday night at the Lane County Fair. His trademark mane of blond hair is kept short these days, and only a few wrinkles and the hint of a bald spot would betray his age. He still sports a trim build, and made a point of showing off his sculpted arms. In many ways, he seemed like the David Lee Roth that fans have been listening to since Van Halen came on the scene in 1978.

In his 17-song, 90-minute set, it was one big hit after another, interspersed with some of the highlights of his solo career. "Hot for Teacher," "Runnin' With the Devil," "You Really Got Me," "Jamie's Crying," "Panama," "Dance the Night Away" and "Ice Cream Man" all found a place in the set. So did solo hits "Just Like Paradise," "California Girls" and "Just a Gigolo."

The crowd of 2,000, which covered a wide age range but seemed to average in the late 30s and early 40s, was on board from the get-go, climbing to their feet as soon as "Diamond Dave" took the stage to perform Van Halen's "Hot for Teacher."

Lesa Eastman, 39, and Don Stillman, 41, both of Springfield, had seats in the third row. They described themselves as big Van Halen fans who were keen to see Roth in action.

"Just to see if he still has his moves, because, God knows, I don't," Stillman said before the show.

It seems Roth still did have the moves. Throughout the concert, he showed off that famous reverse twist kick move of his. A man in constant motion, he paced the stage, leaping into the air, flirting with the crowd.

"Don't stick your tongue out at me unless you're going to use it," he chided one fan.

He certainly wasn't afraid to play it a bit raunchy, either. He dropped the f-bomb midway through the first song, which probably didn't please many parents who had brought along their young children to the show. Jane Holloway, the fair's marketing manager, said Roth was reminded during a break in the set that the fair is a family venue, and was asked to clean up the language.

Which he mostly did, and instead told some tales about the two summers he spent as a kid working on a ranch in Bend, and how he remembered coming to "this state fair." (No one corrected him).

It seems he had been to the fairgrounds before: Eastman remembers seeing Van Halen at the fairgrounds sometime in the early '80s (the exact year escaped her).

"It was the second concert I'd ever been to," she said. "I got the drumstick, and I was so thrilled."

Drumsticks aside, when it comes to all things Van Halen, Jeff Butler, 42, and Greg McKenney, 41, are the guys to check with. Butler figures he's seen Van Halen 20 times; McKenney puts his attendance at 15. On Friday, they were in the front row.

"This is our generation's music," McKenney said. "They don't make music for our generation anymore. All that rap and hip-hop, we hate it."

Butler even traveled to the Gorge Amphitheatre in Washington four years ago to see Roth play with the other former lead singer of Van Halen, Sammy Hagar. What keeps bringing fans like these out to see Roth alone, without his ex-Van Halen bandmates? Roth's charisma.

"He's a great front man," Butler said. "He added a lot to the early days of Van Halen."

Roth concluded the night with "Jump," the big Van Halen hit from "1984." As the song zoomed toward the end, Roth sported a big smile. "Let me see your hands!" he shouted, and most of his fans complied, clapping with the beat over their heads. "Thank you, Oregon!" And with a bow, he and his band were gone.

Renee Green, 22, and Alan Torres, 21, are two younger fans who had a blast.

"It was awesome," Green said. "He has so much energy."

Torres added, "I'm going to go home, have a beer and jump around a lot."

http://www.registerguard.com/news/20...ion=cityregion
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Those parents who were fucking offended, obviously need to remember back a mere 20 years to when they were young....

Now the word fuck is a problem.

Welcome to George W. Bush's America!!!!!!!

Had I been in Dave's shoes, I'd go out and say, "This motherfucking cunt just asked me to stop using foul language...well, FUCK YOU, CUNTFACE!!!!!"
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-24-2017 @ 11:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah i'm surprised he cleaned it up, what were they going to do arrest him?

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-24-2017 @ 11:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

well i have to ask, what the fuck was he doing at a state fair in the first place. Please tell me there was a seperate stadium for the show and it wasn't just open to people after they viewed the biggest cows in oregon

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Eugene, Oregon is about as far as you can get from George W. Bush. I used to live there. Eugene is as liberal as it gets. It's full of old hippies, neo hippie Granola types, and Deadheads. The town in a way is still lost in the 60's. Eugene is very Democrat. It's kind of like a mini San Fransisco. People love their sports there and environmental issues are of big intrest.

With that being said, many liberals don't like profanity being shouted out either; especially infront of kids. Hey, I was at many Van Halen concerts in my day and they were not for kids with tender ears. But Van Halen was not for little kiddies.

I say you have to play to your audience. If some people brought their kids to see a rock and roll ledgend and Roth cleaned things up a bit, the so be it. It wasn't jacking off Jack Daniels or saying the F word that made me a Roth fan, it was the guy's talent and how he radiated fun and a good time.

Hightend Alert!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-25-2008 @ 08:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

My two kids are dieing to see Dave * and 7 years old*in concert...they have seen him about a million times on dvd..1982 Largo MD show and love him and Van Halen! Dave and the music he created is timeless!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2015 @ 08:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Dave looks in great shape and as cool as ever. It's important that Dave keeps reminding people that we was witnessed in 2004 was NOT Van Halen.

Thanks Northern Girl!

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-23-2012 @ 06:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The people who were walking away from the concert were not hippies and deadheads, it was old people on walkers and mainstream american Christian families with their children.
    Keep in mind this was in the middle of the fair amongst the rides and BINGO and food booths. This fair was promoted as the ultimate Christian-friendly, family-friendly event. There are almost no countercultural types at the fair at all, it is a very mainstream scene. Almost every display and booth is sponsored by a local church organization, and most of the food booths are likewise monopolized by these groups. This is where people come for rides on monster trucks, to look at farm animals, to shop for novel home gadgets like TV Knives, rubber mops, to get a new roof for their house, etc. Police cars, helicopters, and officers are everywhere as celebrities, showing off their equipment. This is not a place where anyone outside of mainstream America wants to pay $8 to get into.

You appear to be using a rock concert to make a political statement about a group of people being labeled in this case "liberals", being at fault for David being censored. I bet the same thing would happen or worse in say, Utah, at a heavily church-sponsored fair marketed towards family entertainment.

My only response to these people is.. If this isn't the kind of thing you want, why would you book David Lee Roth? He is the epitome of rock'n'roll irreverence and revelry. He's going to be lewd, he's going to use "adult" language. That's like asking Santa to come down your chimney on Christmas but telling him he can't leave any presents!

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 03:09 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 856 Posts

Well, the review of the show was pretty much accurate, considering I was there. I did notice that he cleaned it up throughout the middle and end of the show, and thought nothing of it, personally. It was a family affair, and an all ages show (I believe).

Dave cleaning it up and NOT making a point of being difficult about things is just him being cordial, I'm sure, and politics doesn't have a fucking thing to do with it either way. This is not a republican vs. democrat issue, it's rock and roll.

Eugene is a pretty liberal city, I'll admit that...kind of the sanctuary in Oregon outside of Portland and Salem for democratic minded folk, as a good majority of the lesser-populated areas outside of Portland and Salem diverge heavily into bible thumping republican voting turf. So...whatever that's worth to you, I don't know...Oregon as a state voted for Kerry, for whatever else that's worth...

But ON TOPIC, the concert kicked ass and was a real good time

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    Eugene, Oregon is about as far as you can get from George W. Bush. I used to live there. Eugene is as liberal as it gets. It's full of old hippies, neo hippie Granola types, and Deadheads. The town in a way is still lost in the 60's. Eugene is very Democrat. It's kind of like a mini San Fransisco. People love their sports there and environmental issues are of big intrest.

With that being said, many liberals don't like profanity being shouted out either; especially infront of kids. Hey, I was at many Van Halen concerts in my day and they were not for kids with tender ears. But Van Halen was not for little kiddies.

I say you have to play to your audience. If some people brought their kids to see a rock and roll ledgend and Roth cleaned things up a bit, the so be it. It wasn't jacking off Jack Daniels or saying the F word that made me a Roth fan, it was the guy's talent and how he radiated fun and a good time.
    Oh yeah??? Well FUCK YOU!

Livin it up!!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-15-2011 @ 12:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks

roth fans are just faggits anyway so fuck ALL O U!!

YOUR ALL OWENED!

three lock rock
    kicking ass and takin names

Sheep Pen Pack Rat
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2015 @ 03:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck off Pissnelke

Cunning Linguist
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-23-2013 @ 10:03 PM
    Status
    Thanks

three inch cock
    licking ass, and being lame........
    go find a microscope, and some tweezers.....dipshit!

Livin it up!!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-15-2011 @ 12:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Shut up!

three lock rock
    kickin ass and takin names
    NO STOPPIN THE RED ROCKIN

Sheep Pen Pack Rat
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2015 @ 03:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

No, why ?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,565 Times in 3,450 Posts

Cool article...

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Way to be NG!!!

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 07:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Thanx NG.....

Thread Information