Thread: 1986 DLR Interview From America's Only Rock And Roll Magazine

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

1986 DLR Interview From America's Only Rock And Roll Magazine

Another article from the late great Creem , America's Only Rock 'n' Roll Magazine. It's 1986 and sadly, the Van Hagar era has begun. Dave talks about his old band, his new band, Sammy Hagar, Eat 'Em And Smile , and of course throws out a few hundred great quotes. Enjoy...

David Lee Roth's Revenge
    Roy Trakin, Creem, October 1986

THE SYSTEM OF law in New Guinea involves a concept loosely defined as "payback," which means if one village has wronged another, that village is duty-bound to extract revenge. Once that indiscretion has been avenged, the entire cycle starts all over, the back and forth skirmishing fueled by the fact each tribe speaks an entirely different language.

As Bwana David Lee Roth explains this law of the jungle, I immediately focus on how accurately it reflects the current feud ongoing between the lead singer and his ex-mates in Van Halen. In the weeks leading up to the release of his own solo effort, Eat 'Em And Smile, the media heats up with the success story of his former band, chortling over Diamond Dave's misfortunes and expressing their relief about being rid of his overbearing presence and media manipulation.

If the effervescent toastmaster general of rock has been affected by the barbs, he's certainly not letting on. Preening and fluffing his hair, he greets me in the Sunset Boulevard headquarters he shares with partner/video collaborator Pete Angelus wearing his full stage costume, including his patented, skin-tight spandex pants. His new band – lead guitarist Steve Vai, bassist Billy Sheehan and drummer Gregg Bissonette – is a full-throttle rock 'n' roll outfit designed to show all of Dave's Van Halen fans he doesn't intend to merely play the gigolo. In fact, when he places the needle on the LP's first track, ‘Shyboy’, a torrent of insane metallic guitar blasts announces that a new axe hero is about to be born in the highly-touted Vai, who played on the recent PiL album and starred as the devil challenging Ralph Macchio in the Walter Hill film Crossroads.

"I stumbled into Steve Vai about 60 days after 'The Big Guitar Search' started," explains Roth about his new collaborator. "I know I can work with anybody, but finding the ultimate rock band I figured would be a difficult task. I went after Billy Sheehan first. He's a white tiger. You don't recognize at first what you're looking at when you see one. Same thing with his work on the record. You're not immediately aware of what you're listening to. There's a lot of action in the bass and that gives the music layers. Plug in the ole Walkman and the CD and you'll be amazed at what's going on beneath the surface. Then, I listened to records of different guitar players, and I just thought Steve had the most potential."

Talking about the similarities between his new outfit and vintage Van Halen, Dave flashes some of his famed modesty. "I was responsible for a great deal of Van Halen's sound," he boasts. "That kind of rock 'n' roll is my driving wheel. So, you'll hear elements of this record which sound like great, old Van Halen. You can hear the difference in the band since I've been gone. Which is not to say it's any better or worse, but it is different. What people will hear out of this is what sold the old Van Halen, and is nowhere to be found in the new Van Halen. They've taken their approach, God bless, but my heart was always in the same place. I've just got my money where my yap is now."

The unflappable one even insists he wasn't too surprised at the commercial success his old band experienced without him.

"Van Halen's been hammering away at this for many years," he says. "The name has come to symbolize more than just a type of music. People were curious how the new band would sound and you can't detract from Edward's guitar-playing. They accomplished what they set out to do, which was make a #1 record. It's a different kind of music, though. Perfectly acceptable, but it's not what I want to play for a living."

Dave gets on a roll when he's asked about the in-concert antics of his replacement, Sammy Hagar. "What kind of person draws a sign that says, 'Screw David Lee Roth' and carries it from show to show to hold up in front of the audience? Many of you have already seen that sign. It's in orange magic marker. He doesn't open up any of the other signs unless he's sure they say 'Screw David Lee Roth,' because I understand, earlier in the tour, he opened one up that said, 'Where's Dave?'"

Roth also noticed how in the Rolling Stone cover story on the band, they spent more time bad-mouthing him than they did talking about themselves."

"I guess I'm still the frontman," he laughs with an infectious guffaw that sounds a little too boisterous. "David Lee Roth: Big Enough For Two Bands, America!!"

Confronted with the article's implication that Van Halen's following has abandoned him, he suddenly warms to the task. "I take the football approach," he smiles. "When it seems to be getting darkest, I go, 'Men, we're just gonna outwork they ass!!' "

In fact, Roth insists the band split occurred mainly because he wanted to work while the rest of the group preferred staying in bed. But his competitive fires have been stoked, with a summer-long blitz, including the release of the new album and a world-wide tour commencing in August.

"I can understand how the Van Halens would be pissed," he admits. "Whenever you have a big, ugly divorce, there's hurt feelings. On the other hand, Sammy's angry because he knows I'm better than he is."

Dave denies he ever woke the others up in the middle of the night to go roller-skating, but he does cop to the fact he insisted the wives be nowhere in sight when Life magazine showed up to do a piece on the band.

"I was tired of the boys fighting with their wives, not talking to the press and then making up with their wives and refusing to come out of the bedroom for two days," he says. "They'd always blame that on me because I had that romping, crazy image. Fact is, when one of the wives wanted to know why they couldn't come, they'd always go, 'Dave won't let ya.' I was the bad guy."

Is he anti-marriage?

"That's a lot of bullshit coming through clenched teeth and squinted eyes," he claims. "I guess I'm just a case of arrested development. I skipped a groove when I was 15 and it's been repeating ever since. I may get married one day. If I fall in love, I'll be the first one to stand up and say, this is it. But it hasn't happened yet. And now it's time for the road again – and maintaining some kind of relationship over the telephone is ridiculous. You're asking for trouble with that."

Actually, the only time the effervescent Roth shows any sign of introspection is when he's asked about his own family. The flamboyant clown prince of metal refuses to show you the Dave behind the mask – what you see of the media-savvy, larger-than-life rock star is what you get.

"Well, there are elements you're not going to read about in the press," he agrees. "When you put on a show, it's a big magic trick. And the audience will always scream to see the mirrors and wires. They just want to know how you did the trick. If you show 'em that, you're out of business. If I'm guilty of any sin, it's the sin of omission. I'm not lying when I tell you something, it's what I don't tell you. I mean, who wants to hear about the hard work, the slaving in the studio and the political problems you have to go through? You can read about that in every other interview in this magazine." (Heee! – Ed.)

Dave also insists he has no problems maintaining his antic, party-hearty image, mostly because that person is really him.

"It all comes right from my very own mouth and heart," he says. "I'm not a prisoner of any persona. I do all the talkin' and I think I express myself pretty clearly. It's not like I'm trying to make you think something, although I do remember one of my uncles once telling me, 'Dave, the key to success is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made!' "

Commenting on whether his new outfit will be a band in the Van Halen mode, or merely a back-up assemblage, Roth is most adamant. "I see it as a team," he says. "And as long as I'm in the backfield somewhere, I'm happy...as long as I get to handle the ball at least every third play. You hear these guys represented. You see them in the video quite liberally. These are constant characters. I'm best when I have somebody to bounce ideas off of, somebody to argue with."

Asked about comparisons with his old group, who have gotten off to a headstart with a #1 album and single, Roth flashes a cheshire grin. "I'm built for distance, not for speed," he laughs heartily. "If this is, in fact, a race, the outcome will be decided a year from now." For those, like me, who didn't really like Van Halen until they realized David Lee Roth was lampooning himself, the new video for ‘Yankee Rose’ is a bit of a disappointment, concentrating as it does on Dave's buns and crotch in a fairly-straightforward performance clip.

"You have to show the band off to its best advantage," says Roth. "Because that's what's going on the road. We had to put 'em on the screen because, pretty soon, we're going to be asking people to buy tickets. So, you've gotta see what you're gonna get, unlike another act we all know..."

As for his narcissistic preening, Dave insists he's not pandering, though it seems pretty ironic Roth's body parts will be paraded on MTV for every impressionable young mind with access to a television set, while poor Jello Biafra gets busted for including an H. R. Giger poster in one of his albums.

"I do what comes naturally to me," says Diamond Dave. "At the time, I felt real sexy. So, I throw it all around, I point it into the camera and I make it to the chorus by the skin of my teeth. But then, just like you, when I sit back after 14 days of editing and color correcting, it looks like a 12-year-old mugging for the nation's TV sets. I guess we'll just have to write it off as 'charming.' People giggle and squirm when they see it. It's that kind of humor and sexiness. It all reminds you of yourself, making believe you're a rock star in front of your bedroom mirror. You see yourself reflected in my eyes every time I stick my booty in the camera. And a little bit of you goes, 'I'd like to do that, but I shouldn't...' So, you squirm and that squirm is worth whatever it costs to turn on that TV to find it, to buy the ticket to see it live, to get the record and put it on your turntable. It's worth it to me, at least..."

With the aborted Crazy From The Heat film project tied up in court after CBS Theatrical Films, the original backer, went out of business, Dave insists forming a touring band was always on the agenda.

"I wanted to go on the road, that was the main thing," he says. "The movie was just icing on the cake, part of the whole program."

What about those Van Halen fans who are convinced he abandoned the band to go Hollywood?

"I think the music may yell at them for that," he giggles. "I'm delirious with this record and this band. We're going for the Guinness Book of World Records with this tour. '97 Tons of Fun.' We're taking it all over the continental U. S., Canada, Japan, South America, Europe, Australia, Hawaii, you name it. How can you beat it? Everything's been coming up roses so far. We don't even have a real manager around here anymore...haven't for about a year. So, without any real adult supervision, we're allowed the opportunity to be creative and think ahead."

If the redeeming grace of the old Van Halen was David Lee's self-mocking sense of humor, the canny veteran is more than well aware the average metal fan takes his music very seriously.

"The lyrics of the new stuff are funny, but the sentiments are hard-felt," he points out. "They're very sincere and severe at the same time. It's balanced. And that's more human than anything else. I'm having a blast at what I do and I think people, especially the kids, pick up on that first and foremost. There's conviction there. When I laugh, I'm really laughin'. I'm not faking it. When I make fun of the industry or what it is I'm doing, I point at myself first. Because there is a sense of humor to it. I just refuse to go too far uptown."

Again, when the conversation turns towards Dave's personal life, the jocularity seems to cover up deeper feelings he refuses to confront.

"Somebody once asked me what religion I followed, and I told 'em sugar, refined sugar," he laughs. "Somewhere along the way, I drove off the road and kept on going. The whole idea of that is a little ironic, a little laughable. That someone could do this and actually make a career out of it. ZZ Top does the same thing. Somebody asked Billy how he would define his music and he answered it sounded like 'four flat tires on a muddy road.' It's that kind of sentiment that tempers the real metal stuff."

The conversation turns to the current crop of El Lay glam-rockers, like Poison, Guns 'N Roses and L. A. Guns, who have taken their cue from the rags-to-riches success of groups such as Van Halen and Motley Crue.

"Well, I feel like a shining example, Roy, but I'm not sure of what," he cackles heartily. "I think the key is to steal from more than one influence, though. Van Halen's computer program wasn't written by any one programmer. We lifted from a variety of places, everything from Black Sabbath to Motown, from Deep Purple to the Ohio Players, and what you get is something you don't recognize instantly. You recognize parts of it, though you're not exactly sure what you're listening to. And that's going to be a lot more intriguing for somebody than shelling out eighteen bucks for an album knowing what to expect, getting it, then simply moving on to the next record."

Certainly, the sturm und drang of Van Halen was put into perspective by the inclusion of off-beat ditties like ‘Big Bad Bill’ (featuring the Van Halen's clarinet-playing dad), ‘Ice Cream Man’ and ‘Could This Be Magic?’ just as the thunder and lightning of Eat 'Em And Smile is relieved by the playfulness in Dave's faithful cover of the Chairman of the Board's ‘That's Life’. Don't think Roth's turning into some Catskill crooner just yet, though...

"I have no idea what kind of music I'll be making in the future, but I know I'm going to be making music," he says. "I've always been into doing '20's and '30's blues send-ups (like the jumpin', jivin' 'I'm Easy' on the new LP). Most bands have to make the decision how to temper their albums one way or another. You can blast your way straight through, but I think the greatest bands in history always do something a little different to balance that. Rolling Stones albums, for instance, always had great rock 'n' roll, but there was always a bit of country, a bit of blues, something to put it into relief. So you know what it is you're looking at. You don't know how big something is until you have something little next to it to compare it to. Bands have to make a choice. Are they going to be creative or are they just going to play power ballads? Obviously, I chose the former, something with more spirit to it, something with a little bit more pizazz."

Yes, VH fans, don't give up on Diamond Dave just yet. In Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan, he's got two monstrous musicians capable of achieving quite a rock 'n' roll din. Like the tractor pulls he now attends for entertainment, David Lee's new group can make some noise.

Payback. The still-simmering VH/DLR feud has been going back and forth for months and now it's Safari Dave's turn to fight out of the corner. Tell the CREEM readers what your new band will do to those Van Halens, Dave!

"We're gonna eat 'em and smile," he roars, his head rearing back so that his hair resembles a lion's mane. Roth's Revenge has begun.
    Last edited by blueturk; 08-21-2005 at 12:15 PM.

SHEEP PEN Yahweh
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I swear...I love this guy!

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good times!
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Now take that interview and contrast it with ANYTHING said by Ed, Sam, Mike or Al at ANY POINT in their careers (even going back to the CVH days); Roth's more entertaining even in print form.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

SHEEP PEN-JUNKHEAD
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by academic punk
    FAG!

DLR7884
    Originally Posted by WARF:
    DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks AP.........you got my room key, right?!

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I swear...I love this guy! I love men! I love to be man-handled! I love you!
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    great read!

thanks
    “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fantastic read,
    Many thanks for putting this up.

Katie
    x

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: 1986 DLR Interview From America's Only Rock And Roll Magazine

Originally posted by blueturk
    "I can understand how the Van Halens would be pissed," he admits. "Whenever you have a big, ugly divorce, there's hurt feelings. On the other hand, Sammy's angry because he knows I'm better than he is."
    Makes sense to me!

LIFOYNSEAE
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Very very good!!!! This gives an insight into how high Dave really is on life and what his attitude really is. I picked up on it, it's infectious, you can't help but believe every word he says. And he knows he's right!!! What an amazing spirit!! He never got down about Van Halen, he kept on rolling along and that's what truly made him a legend. The road he took after Van Halen. Here's to you Dave
    I'm very proud of what was that band and what was that show and what it did mean to people. It disgusts me that it has turned into the complete opposite. That it now represents everything that I spoke against, that we suppoesedly represented the converse of. I don't want to have to remember that the team turned into that. Makes me question what the team was while I was a member. Was it all bullshit? If nothing else, it confirms in my mind that from my standpoint - yours truly, David Lee - not a fraction. If nothing else, this kind of morbid, wounded animal anger aimed my way has caused me to look deep into that bathroom mirror and come back to you with "my shit was legit." It was for real. And perhaps the test is time. Because here I am, a decade and a half later, haven't changed much. I look a little different, but not much. My sense of humour is about the same.

Vamos dar um jeito!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I went to the 5150 tour and I remember the anti-Dave banner. It was obviously a prop they used throughout the tour.

They must have thought the music and show weren't strong enough without it.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by light 'em up!
    I went to the 5150 tour and I remember the anti-Dave banner. It was obviously a prop they used throughout the tour.

I'm assuming you went to a Van Hagar show for the express purpose of throwing shit at them, right?:confused:

Vamos dar um jeito!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm assuming you went to a Van Hagar show for the express purpose of throwing shit at them, right?:confused:
    It was 1986 and I was unaware of the crimes Van Hagar was commiting against the fans of Van Halen. I was depressed that Dave was gone, but I was still into Eddie's guitar playing. By OU812, I could clearly see that Van Hagar was a big pile of shit and I never bought another VH album except for BOVI for the 2 new songs with Dave.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It was 1986 and I was unaware of the crimes Van Hagar was commiting against the fans of Van Halen. I was depressed that Dave was gone, but I was still into Eddie's guitar playing. By OU812, I could clearly see that Van Hagar was a big pile of shit and I never bought another VH album except for BOVI for the 2 new songs with Dave.
    I wasn't trying to get on your shit. Hell, I listened to "Hot Summer Nights" the first couple of times it came on the radio out of curiosity. Of course, it didn't take long to realize that the band had went to shit, and Van Halen As We Knew And Loved It was gone, destroyed by one of the worst "songwriters" and "lyricists" in rock history...

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fucking grate!

Intriguing, thoughtful discussion!

Vamos dar um jeito!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Van Halen As We Knew And Loved It was gone, destroyed by one of the worst "songwriters" and "lyricists" in rock history...
    Everyone who remembers the original lineup agrees, Van Halen was Dave's band. When he left, so did the magic.

LIFOYNSEAE
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Everyone who remembers the original lineup agrees, Van Halen was Dave's band. When he left, so did the magic.
    Agreed!! You can't bring down or predict Dave like you can Sammy. Dave is always ahead of the wave, as we can see in this interview.

PS: I miss the magic

Girl Gone Bad
    Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And the Van Halen brothers are convinced that Dave's been badmouthing them since he left? I didn't see any shots at them whatsoever (unless you count that thing about DLR being better than Sammy, which is a fact anyways).

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: 1986 DLR Interview From America's Only Rock And Roll Magazine

"What kind of person draws a sign that says, 'Screw David Lee Roth' and carries it from show to show to hold up in front of the audience? Many of you have already seen that sign. It's in orange magic marker. He doesn't open up any of the other signs unless he's sure they say 'Screw David Lee Roth,' because I understand, earlier in the tour, he opened one up that said, 'Where's Dave?'"

my sentiments exactly.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Sounds like an inferiority simplex on Sambos part more than anything else.

Cunning Linguist
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    more proof of why Dave is the Number One frontman of this era! great reading........
    "Hear that O.F.? If old school Army gals with solid track records of contribution choose to bless us with their tits, ass, vagina, or just sexy eye shots, leave them be (at least until I've had a chance to rub one out)..."
    That is all.
    Icon.

"we've always known that van hagar fans are the stupidest people on the planet but my god! "

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    man...I remember his "in bed" interview, when he said "I got class" at the end...sounds a bit arrogant, but he is so right...class act!
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Rock n' Roll Junkie
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    GREAT interview. Creem was the shit..huh?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Dirty Duck
    GREAT interview. Creem was the shit..huh?
    Indeed they were...

On Fire
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What a totally cool read! Those were the days!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great interview....

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think the Van Halens regretted Spam being their front many,many times from '85 on.
    You can see it in the Van Hagar rehearsal vid from '85 or '86, but they had already made their choice.....lol

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ive never considered Spammy a song writer or lyricist.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just a maker of bad music.

Cmama Baby....Bottoms up!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    too bad it went off the rails on Skyscraper...
    =( I loved EEAS but from that point on the humor in the videos ,the straight , raw playing got......lost
    Maybe we'll get some of that back with the new stuff

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    EEAS was the only one worth a listen.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @