X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigc
    Head Fluffer
    • Aug 2004

was Brett Tuggle bad for DLR's career?

I know this seems like a weird kinda question..but was he?

cos on EEAS,the band were smokin',rockin',and awesome.You could feel the energy.

when our keyboard man jumps onboard for Skyscraper, synths pop up all over the place,Tuggle contributes a fair few songs,and the album really lacks the energy and immediacy of EEAS. By adding a keyboardist,did DLR rock/disbalance the initial solo band,becoming a bit too "pop"?

by ALAE rock was No.1 again,but the amount of additional writers on that album, its hard to credit who was response for what.

so...Brett Tuggle.

bad career move?
  • Loons The Great

Hit it, Tugg!!

Comment

• Big Troubles
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Feb 2004

Re: was Brett Tuggle bad for DLR's career?

Originally posted by bigc
      I know this seems like a weird kinda question..but was he?

cos on EEAS,the band were smokin',rockin',and awesome.You could feel the energy.

when our keyboard man jumps onboard for Skyscraper, synths pop up all over the place,Tuggle contributes a fair few songs,and the album really lacks the energy and immediacy of EEAS. By adding a keyboardist,did DLR rock/disbalance the initial solo band,becoming a bit too "pop"?

by ALAE rock was No.1 again,but the amount of additional writers on that album, its hard to credit who was response for what.

so...Brett Tuggle.

bad career move?
      Dave was, is and always will be responsible for his own "ups and downs" throughout his career. Opinions vary, depending on who you ask, but Dave knew full well, getting Brett to due synth work, or adding a second guitar player or doing some country, blues, rap or all show tunes, that changes like that can do more damage than good. Dave did it for his true hardcore fans that just wanted to enjoy his music instead of critiqing it.

The answer is yes. IMO, Brett was shit for Dave.
      "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Loons The Great

Tugg' sounded good on the YFLM tour...an' I always dug Dave and Tugg's call and response on,"Got My Mojo Workin',"...yez yez...

Comment

• Big Troubles
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Loons The Great
          Tugg' sounded good on the YFLM tour...an' I always dug Dave and Tugg's call and response on,"Got My Mojo Workin',"...yez yez...
          Got My Mojo Workin'? esplain Lucy. what song is that from?
          "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• thome
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Mar 2005

I aint sayin nuthin... OK not you personaly but some people want everthing to stay the same when you view the experience for what it is

Its all good just different i think he was welcome fun and i dig that frakin album .My personal fave is YFLM and thats way diff .

Skyscraper is a close second. My op

Comment

• BrownSound1
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Mar 2003

None of Dave's stuff was as pop as what Jump was...and no one is bitching about that song.

The thing I always thought was funny was the keyboard player on EEAS....Jesse Harms. Jesse was Hagar's keyboardist...oh the irony.

Comment

• Loons The Great

Got My Mojo Workin...GOT MY MOJO WORKIN...

Originally posted by Big Troubles
                Got My Mojo Workin'? what song is that from?
                It's an' ol' Muddy Waters toon that DLR and Tugg would trade lines from on the Skyscraper and ALAE tours...traded lines like Muddy and Pinetop Perkins used to did...usually happened 'round Yankee Rose time nah...

Comment

• Big Troubles
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Feb 2004

I bitched about Jump. Still do in fact. I also dont like I'll Wait. Dave is better than that.

Just Like Paradise is the one song Dave made a truck load of money with, but from a hard rock perspective, should have stayed away from. (IMO)

Comment

• Big Troubles
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Feb 2004

Re: Got My Mojo Workin...GOT MY MOJO WORKIN...

Originally posted by Loons The Great
                    It's an' ol' Muddy Waters toon that DLR and Tugg would trade lines from on the Skyscraper and ALAE tours...traded lines like Muddy and Pinetop Perkins used to did...usually happened 'round Yankee Rose time nah...
                    cool.

ya know, this is refreshing. MAIN has Dave material.

Ok, where's Hitch and Jester to fuck it all up?

Comment

• thome
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Big Troubles
                      I bitched about Jump. Still do in fact. I also dont like I'll Wait. Dave is better than that.

Just Like Paradise is the one song Dave made a truck load of money with, but from a hard rock perspective, should have stayed away from. (IMO)
                      JLP is the national anthem Duude ,,wat is up!

Comment

• Big Troubles
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by thome
                        JLP is the national anthem Duude ,,wat is up!
                        lol Not one of my fav's.

In fact I have a small list of not so cool Dave tunes.

But it should be noted that I have a huge fucking list of not so cool Hagar tunes.

Comment

• thome
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Mar 2005

BT imop what it breaks down to is ROCK

There are probably 20 or so diff Discriptive terms to state what

state of Rock it is. Some one should start a thread about it

I saw VH 2 times in 78 and called it to all my freinds BIG ROCK

i made the call and i cant change my mind about it

Led Zep is HARD ROCK Others ACID and so on everyone has diff OP

So for a artist to venture into other areas with style makes me happy

Dave has done this better than anyone I agree w/ you also.

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

We can't blame poor Mr. Tuggle for Dave's career decisions.

Comment

• Big Troubles
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Feb 2004

VH, for me was peaking with the VH1, VH2 and FW. Would have been great to see them in 78...

Of course I simulate 1978/79 as best as I can in my living room though. I throw in a few cd's and start toking the night away... lol

Comment

Working...