Sheep Pen Barn Boss
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2014 @ 02:38 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Eddie Vanhalen..Voted best of all time

VH1 recently aired the results of their online poll, "Who is the best hard Rock guitarist of all time?"

The top 3 results were:
    #3: ERIC CLAPTON
    #2: JIMMY PAGE
    and the #1 BEST HARD ROCK GUITARIST OF ALL TIME:
    EDDIE VAN HALEN!

It's really great to see Eddie getting praise like that. Especially when it's the PEOPLE who are voting, not the critics.

Van Halen also popped up in two recent VH1 programs:

VH1's "Top 40 Rock Bands" Program listed Van Halen as #7.
    VH1's "Top 40 Feuds of Rock & Roll" Program featured "Van Halen Vs. David Lee Roth" at #1.

From vhstrungout.com
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Nice to see Edward get the props.

Even if he's on cloud coukoo land these days.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Way to go Eddie....................

Good for you!!!

But yer still a fuckin asshole.......................

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-31-2015 @ 07:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Congrats!!!!! to the KING OF SIX STRINGS!!!!! Now detox your stupid ass and start making some wise decisions. The 1st, reuniting with the DIAMOND ONE.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-13-2012 @ 04:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

eh...no hendrix in the top 3?

shocking! he's usually at the top. a nice change, i think.

Rock n' Roll Junkie
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-11-2007 @ 02:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Congradulations to The Greatest Guitar Player Of All times...now give Roth a call and get the fucking band together...

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    12-02-2006 @ 07:09 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Well Done Ed

I've returned
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-15-2012 @ 02:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Clapton and jimmy page werent as good in their prime but edward is doing terrible now he cant play worth shit best of both worlds was a waste of fucking money

lazy lounge lizard
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-11-2022 @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

moose said it all!

he is a fuckin asshole!

TheManWithNoName
    The bottom line?

Like an aging boxer getting his ass handed to him every other month--Think Evander Holyfield--to not include the HEAD Asshole of the brothers grim's work of the last 10 years into his legacy is utterly ridiculous.

In the early 1980's, Edward was stellar, nothing better.

But since then, he's been to the left of the best, as original as Vito Brata, without the chops.

And to call him better than Hendrix, who never left his prime before he died is ridiculous. Clapton, albeit a converted into pussy, can still shred like he did with Cream, and Page can still fuck up enough notes to sound as good as he did 30 years ago.

Mr. Grimm however sounds like he's stuck in the grand piano that he busted all to hell all those years ago--and I'm convinced that he can't recapture the old glory. He sounds like he should be playing VH covers with the Backstreet Boys.

Maybe Clay Aiken needs a guitarist.

Here's to Ed of the Vintage era, who WAS the greatest of all time.

And here's a fuck you to SPED turning into the biggest fucking asshole this side Aretha Franklin, who ranks a long way south of that copyass Kenny Wayne Sheppard.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Oh gawd!

Pass that crybaby the fuckin' kleenex! Don't ya just know he's gonna go on one of his "toots" and drink a town dry!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-24-2017 @ 11:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Nobody would even know his name if it weren't for DLR, he'd be just another stevie vai

Dave IS VH
    Originally posted by tjvhou812
    VH1 recently aired the results of their online poll, "Who is the best hard Rock guitarist of all time?"

The top 3 results were:
    #3: ERIC CLAPTON
    #2: JIMMY PAGE
    and the #1 BEST HARD ROCK GUITARIST OF ALL TIME:
    EDDIE VAN HALEN!

What, No Jimi Hendrix?

I would put Jimi at #1, then Eddie at #2, Jimmy Page at #3.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I didn't know Clapton played hard rock...

EVH as #1 sounds normal, but not every poll of that kind will rank him on top, and seeing Clapton is #3 and Jimmy Page #2, even if they should not have been included, makes Ed's plebiscite glorious.

Van Halen #7? Van Hag keeping the name are responsible for it. People's memories of great CVH are tainted with the red buffoon years...

Sheep Pen Barn Boss
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2014 @ 02:38 PM
    Status
    Thanks

i think van halen l album, is the greatest guitar work of all time

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    05-26-2015 @ 05:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by tjvhou812
    i think van halen l album, is the greatest guitar work of all time
    Thank god for that album.........

I'm your huckleberry...
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2006 @ 06:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think stevie ray vaughn should be #2. eric clapton is waaaaaayyyyyy over rated. and it's about time they show some appreciation to ed.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yeah, Jimi made Eric Clapton shit his pants when he came to England. There was a new kid in town. Clapton himself is very honest about how Jimi scared him and his management and what a fan he was of Jimi. Clapton as a person is pretty cool though. Creem was a bad ass band.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    I always liked Jimi Page's tone and feel. Fucked up sloppy notes and all. I have the privelege to meet him sevral years ago at a charity fundraiser. Jimi was a tottal gentleman and very very nice. Probably the nicest rock star I ever met. He gets it. He knows how big Led Zeppelin was, he knows how us fans love it. Not in a conceded way but he gets a twinkle in his eye and tells you a story and when probed about certain things, he chuckles and says, "the statued of limitations is how long in this country?" LOL! Jimi is fun as hell to shoot the shit with.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-19-2024 @ 04:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Have no idea who Stevie Ray Vaughn is, but Stevie Ray Vaughan is pretty fucking good.

Clapton, apart from his great work in Cream, bores the absolute hell out of me.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2013 @ 12:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Saying Ed is the best ever is like calling Mike Tyson the best ever...

Ed had his day, but he sucks ass now...

There are SO many better guitarists today that would shred "drunky boy" all over the stage....

Greatness lasts, Ed was a flash in the pan.....

I love Ed's work on the six VH albums, but folks get over it...he is a has been....

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-19-2024 @ 04:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks

There are so many better guitarists now?? Ok let me hear this great list.

Ed was a flash in the pan? Jesus the stupidity here never ceases to amaze me. I wonder if some of you EVER were VH fans, I'm fucking serious. Ed did more in 4 albums than most have done in 20.

TheManWithNoName
    Did anyone say there were better guitarists now than Eddie was in his prime?

No, not now, at least not new guitarists. I'm of the belief that Eddumb has forgotten more than most current guitarists have ever known. The bold word being forgotten, or can't do, or chooses not to do.

I don't even think anyone said he was a flash in the pan, that has any fucking sense--I agree with you that he wasn't.

but he HAS ceased to be innovative. He has ceased in his current state to inspire anything more than head shaking. And you have to add that to his legacy.

Or wait, I get it, his legacy stopped being added onto when he stopped being a force in the industry? Horseshit. Ed's dipshit dance since 1995 has to be included in THAT legacy, and no matter which way you look at it, it takes away from the "If Clapton is god, Eddie is a demi-god" legacy.

I AM a VH fan, have been since I can remember counting how many songs of there's I could tape off the radio.

So, that means I can't state that Eddie has ceased to exist as an innovator for the most part...with brief exceptions since 1985? He's had moments here and there, but there is nothing you can say, oh great opinionator, that changes that fact.

Of course dED was great. Van Halen I, II, WACF, Fair Wrning, and most of 1984 are 5 of the top 50 guitar albums of all time. Hell, more than likely top 20, although WACF may be at the tail end of that.

But what since then?

Which Hagar album made you shake your head and say, "Yeah, that's different."

and spare me the how could he top the first six bullshit.

I'M fucking serious. Spare the general fucking population this spedhead bullshit that Eddie Van Halen can currently live off of shit he did 20 years ago. Hell, spare us all the bullshit that he can live of the shit he did 10 years ago. I'm saying he's about as fucking current as that fucking smartie you dropped behind the refrigerator when you were 6 fucking years old.

Now, you can say what you want about Clapton, and I concur with your belief about personal likes since Cream. But that being said, he's chosen personal paths and directions and excelled at all of them. There's been direction there. Granted, we could give a shit about the direction, but it hasn't taken away from his legacy as a good guitar player, just a pussy.

Hendrix was never given the opportunity to take away from his legacy. He died. And, nobody was more fucking innovative than he was, mostly because of how good he was, and all the different things he brought to light on the guitar, some because of timing. Page, same thing could be said. Page has taken away from his legacy a bit, but what he did with Zeppelin was at least as innovative as CruED (but not as clean), and NOW--THAT ZEPPELIN LEGACY remains virtually untainted.

So I put Hendrix, Clapton and Page ahead of douchED based on that. Who other than that?

noone. No doubt top five. I could have been different, but much like the legacy of VH dropping because they are run like a shit pile in a maggot farm, suckhED drops in the standings for as long as he chooses avenues that, well, suck.

if you look at 5 or 10 year periods alone and cut out all the SHIT, you can make a case that dickhED is top two next to Hendrix. That I will concede, especially based on live performance.

But overall work? Innovation? Standing in today's world of guitar history based on continued work? Hendrix hands down. and the other three mentioned.

Ed would have could have been ahead, but now it's dED.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-13-2007 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Clapton as "hard rock" ???? Thats debatable but lets not split hairs. Didnt see the article but it seems (for once) a little credible. Usually those things have hendrix as an automatic #1. I love J.H but i think there have been better guitarists. Ive seen a rolling stone article that had kurt cobain in the top 5 guitar players. No offence but WTF ????????

I just wonder if you would class guys like vai, satriani, malmsteen, gilbert, Petrucci........ as hard rock ??? Its all so very subjective. Is it simply on technical merit ???(if so there are a million better than ed) is it innovation ??? (in this case there are none better than ed) or it a mixture of both (ed would be in the mix for #1 for sure).

But when it romes to rockn out, none did it better than the mighty VH !!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by doctor roth; 10-01-2005 at 03:52 PM.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-21-2010 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Toot my own horn as they say i stated a while back not the first
    not the last without Roth probably well respected in a one hit wonder band Ed wouldn't have 30 yr legacy w/ out the davestr.Roth on my bruthas!!

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    09-28-2007 @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Eddie Van Halen 78-84 Baddest Mother Fuckin Rock-Roll Guitarist Ever..Period.

Thread Information