• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lucky wilbury

Black Clergy Rally to Dispel Comparisons Between Civil Rights, Gay Marriage

Black Clergy Rally to Dispel Comparisons Between Civil Rights, Gay Marriage

By Mark Niesse Associated Press Writer
    Published: Mar 22, 2004

ATLANTA (AP) - From the cradle of the civil rights movement, several dozen black pastors are voicing their opposition to the gay marriage movement and rhetoric that equates it with the struggle for racial equality.

The pastors rallied late Monday at an Atlanta-area church where they signed a declaration outlining their beliefs on marriage and religion. They are pressing for a state constitutional ban on gay marriages, which will be considered again by the Georgia House as soon as this week.

Many black clergy say they are offended by the gay rights movement's claim that their struggle is the same as the effort for equal racial rights.

The declaration, which was signed by 30 pastors, was to be presented to legislative leaders later in the week. It said same-sex marriage is not a civil right, and marriage between a man and a woman is necessary for the upbringing of children.

"This is neither a hate nor a fear issue," the statement said. "People are free in our nation to pursue relationships as they choose. To redefine marriage, however, to suit the preference of those choosing alternative lifestyles is wrong."

Bishop William Shields of Hopewell Baptist Church told the crowd of about 250 that gay marriage is "a threat to who we are and what we stand for."

"I'm not here tonight to discriminate against anyone. I'm here to stand on the word of God," Shields said.

Bishop Donn Thomas of Messiah's World Outreach Ministries said the civil rights movement "was a positive freedom for African-Americans to experience our capabilities as men and women created in the image of God."

"The homosexual lobby is seeking a negative freedom rooted in the sexual revolution, and it's a negative freedom from the restraint of morality," Thomas said.

The rally is important because the black pastors are taking a stand on such a difficult issue, said Randy Hicks, president of the Georgia Family Council, which helped organize the event.

"They're making an appropriate statement about what marriage is and what it is not," Hicks said. "These men and women can certainly be characterized as compassionate and caring, and they are concerned about things like discrimination."

More than 600 people rallied last month outside the Georgia Capitol, saying a constitutional amendment would violate their civil rights. They held signs reading "Marriage is a civil right not a religious rite" and "We say no to marriage segregation."

"How do they figure that it's not a civil rights issue?" said the Rev. Paul Turner, a gay pastor from Atlanta who helped organize last month's rally.

"This is just a way for those conservative leadership in the black community to say, 'Look, this isn't a matter of civil rights because we're black and we didn't have a choice in being black.' And they think gays do, and that's not true," Turner said.

Same-sex marriage is already illegal in Georgia, but supporters of the ban say the constitution needs to be changed to make sure a judge does not direct Georgia to recognize gay marriages performed in other states.

Elsewhere Monday, Benton County, Ore., postponed issuing all marriage licenses - not just to same-sex couples - until a court decision is made on whether gay marriages in Oregon are legal. The county was set to become the second in the state to allow gay marriage before the decision.

In New York, two Unitarian Universalist ministers facing criminal counts for officiating at same-sex weddings pleaded innocent. Kay Greenleaf and Dawn Sangrey were charged after marrying 13 gay couples during a public ceremony in New Paltz, about 80 miles outside New York City.

Each misdemeanor count of solemnizing a marriage without a license carryies a fine of $25 to $500 or up to a year in jail, although the district attorney has said he does not expect to seek jail time.

Meanwhile, in St. Paul, Minn., supporters of a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage gathered by the thousands in one of the largest Capitol rallies in memory.

The crowd, waving hundreds of signs, filled the Capitol steps, the parking lot, the steps below that and spilled onto the lawn. The House is expected to pass the bill Wednesday, with a Senate committee planning to take up the measure later in the week.
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

"To redefine marriage, however, to suit the preference of those choosing alternative lifestyles is wrong."

AMEN!

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
      "To redefine marriage, however, to suit the preference of those choosing alternative lifestyles is wrong."

AMEN!
      The key word in that argument is choosing. The entire right wing position is based on the incorrect assumption that homosexuals choose to be gay. If you take that myth out of the equation, what do you have left?

Anybody I know who is gay or lesbian has at least one other queer relative in their immediate family. Wouldn't that imply there are genetics involved? And if sexual orientation is predetermined by genetics, how the fuck can it be a choice?

For you homophobes who want to remain in denial, ask yourself the following question: Could YOU choose to be gay?

I've never met a man that I wanted to fuck. Not even David Lee Roth. It just ain't gonna happen, because I was born a "breeder". So if I can't choose to change my sexual orientation, its logical that others can't do so either.

And once you throw the choice myth out, you are left with a civil rights issue.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• steve
        Sniper
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by FORD
        The key word in that argument is choosing. The entire right wing position is based on the incorrect assumption that homosexuals choose to be gay. If you take that myth out of the equation, what do you have left?

Anybody I know who is gay or lesbian has at least one other queer relative in their immediate family. Wouldn't that imply there are genetics involved? And if sexual orientation is predetermined by genetics, how the fuck can it be a choice?

For you homophobes who want to remain in denial, ask yourself the following question: Could YOU choose to be gay?

I've never met a man that I wanted to fuck. Not even David Lee Roth. It just ain't gonna happen, because I was born a "breeder". So if I can't choose to change my sexual orientation, its logical that others can't do so either.

AMEN!

Comment

• BigBadBrian
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by steve
          AMEN!
          Who's on top, Steve? You or your boyfriend? :p
          “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• BigBadBrian
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

So if genetics are involved, we can call it a "genetic disease."

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
              So if genetics are involved, we can call it a "genetic disease."
              If you would also call being left handed or having red hair a "genetic disease", sure.

However, in your ignorance, you DO bring up an interesting question...

When homosexuality is proven to be genetic, will right wingers suddenly flip flop on abortion, out of the need to "stop those filthy sodomites from being born" ?
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

If you would also call being left handed or having red hair a "genetic disease", sure.

Stupid examples. Try again. You can do better.

When homosexuality is proven to be genetic, will right wingers suddenly flip flop on abortion, out of the need to "stop those filthy sodomites from being born" ?

We don't automatically abort Down's Syndrome children or those afflicted with your brand of retardation, do we?

Comment

• Jerry Falwell

I personnally believe that it is an issue of nurture not nature. If you are raised in a gay environment, then you obviously will have a different point of view on being gay and probably be more accepting to "explore" your sexuality. This doesn't mean that being gay is right though. It's just easier to accept as more people become deceived by satan. God did not design people to have sex with the same sex. So naturally, satan wants to confuse people and have them believe otherwise. Almost everything that is scewed in this world is because of your alter ego...lol, jk

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

So you are saying that someone raised in a gay or gay-friendly household would be more likely to be gay themselves?

Well, again there's a genetics issue, since children of homosexuals would obviously inherit genes from their parents.

And if it were strictly "nurture", then how do you explain Mary Cheney, Ron Reagan Jr, Candace Gingrich, John Schlafly, and other gay relatives of right wing families?
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• wraytw

FORD:

Comment

• Jerry Falwell

So you are saying that someone raised in a gay or gay-friendly household would be more likely to be gay themselves?

Well, again there's a genetics issue, since children of homosexuals would obviously inherit genes from their parents.

And if it were strictly "nurture", then how do you explain Mary Cheney, Ron Reagan Jr, Candace Gingrich, John Schlafly, and other gay relatives of right wing families?

#1 Absolutely!.........
                        #2 Do they inherit the genes?, or do they inherit their fathers/mothers sins? My personal belief system is why I have to side with the Bible and it's stance on the gay issue. Granted, it has been blown way out of proportion. Most Christians come down extremely hard on gays, to the point of pre-judging them. Yet, they(Cristians looking down their noses) still have pre-marital sex, curse on a daily basis, lust, etc... Not one sin is any worse than another...........
                        #3 Again, I don't think that any of these people (though they may be good people) are truly on the up and up with G unit.lol So they are more likely to being led astray. I am not ignorant enough to think that gays only come from a gay family. But, I do think that it is easier to live that lifestyle if you surround yourself with people who won't call you out on the issue.

I have a friend in prison now who went to the big house about two years ago. He was a professed and proven gay individual who has since renounced that lifestyle thanks to rehabilitation through God's word. He will tell you that it is not a genetic thing, rather a spiritual thing.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Well, if it's a genetic defect, we should be happy. Now that gays don't feel compelled to procreate in order to hide their homosity, we can rest assured that in a few generations, they'll be bred out, so to speak.

Now if we can just hold off on cloning for that long.
                          I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Now Doc, would that really be a good thing?

Homosexuals have contributed a great deal to the world. Freddie Mercury & Rob Halford just to name two.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• steve
                              Sniper
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                              Who's on top, Steve? You or your boyfriend? :p
                              yo mama.
                              :eek:

Comment

Working...