Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: On The Pond -- The Army NHL Thread

lucky wilbury
    you know things aren't going well when the nhl launches a site like this: http://www.nhlcbanews.com/
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-07-2015 @ 05:45 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I personally want to thank any and all Blackhawk fans, if there are any left, for Steve Sullivan. A hat-trick and and assist in his debut for the Preds!!

We might make the playoffs just yet....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

BuzinBad
    I just read this 3 pages and I can tell I won't be popular for the team I love but I love the NHL and can't stand the thought of not having hockey. The NHL needs to pull their head out and realize they can't live through a strike. Look what it did to baseball. And hockey doesn't have the fan base they had.

Anyway I am a Dallas Stars fan and while we are looking like we might not make the playoffs I still love every game. As much as it pains me to say yes Hecubus the Sharks are playing well. The whole time we were winning we could not gain ground because the Sharks are kicking ass as well. Pray for no strike!

is fuckin' yer girlfriend
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 07:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by SilvioDante
    I personally want to thank any and all Blackhawk fans, if there are any left, for Steve Sullivan. A hat-trick and and assist in his debut for the Preds!!

We might make the playoffs just yet....
    BAH!!!

An off nite for sure for my Sharkies....Redemption tonight against an easy mark....6-3 & out, baby.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by BuzinBad
    I just read this 3 pages and I can tell I won't be popular for the team I love but I love the NHL and can't stand the thought of not having hockey. The NHL needs to pull their head out and realize they can't live through a strike. Look what it did to baseball. And hockey doesn't have the fan base they had.

Anyway I am a Dallas Stars fan and while we are looking like we might not make the playoffs I still love every game. As much as it pains me to say yes Hecubus the Sharks are playing well. The whole time we were winning we could not gain ground because the Sharks are kicking ass as well. Pray for no strike!
    You & I are going to have some interesting conversations, bro. You fuckin' Stars fan you...or is it the Dallas SARS this year? Nyuk nyuk nyuk....

I concur on the CBA...they've gotta get it done. I can't be without my hockey...

lucky wilbury
    http://nhl.com/onthefly/news/2004/02/204060.html

Flyers acquire Zhamnov from Blackhawks

CHICAGO (AP) - The Philadelphia Flyers acquired center Alex Zhamnov from Chicago on Thursday for center Colin Fraser, defenseman Jim Vandermeer and a second-round pick in the June draft.

Zhamnov, 33, had back surgery early in the season and has missed 35 games. In 23 games, he had six goals and 12 assists.

"Alex Zhamnov is a real pro and a player who has given his heart and soul to the Blackhawks over the past eight seasons," Blackhawks general manager Bob Pulford said.

Fraser is playing for Red Deer in the junior Western Hockey League, while Vandermeer has split time between the Flyers and the Philadelphia Phantoms of the AHL. He has three goals in 23 games.

"We have acquired two players who we feel fit the direction we are going," Pulford said.

The Blackhawks, second to last in the 30-team NHL, also traded their leading scorer, Steve Sullivan, to Nashville on Monday for two second-round draft picks.

lucky wilbury
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=72973

Avalanche acquire Boughner from 'Canes

TSN.ca Staff

2/20/2004

The Colorado Avalanche have acquired defenceman Bob Boughner from the Carolina Hurricanes for Washington's third round draft pick and prospect Chris Bahen.

The 32-year-old blueliner has no goals and five assists with a -9 rating this season with Carolina. He will some defensive toughness to the Avalanche back line that boasts the offensive talents of Adam Foote, Rob Blake, Derek Morris and Martin Skoula.

Boughner was a second round draft pick by the Detroit Red Wings in 1989 but did not debut in the NHL until 1995-96 as a member of the Buffalo Sabres.

After stints in Nashville and Pittsburgh, the Windsor, Ontari native enjoyed his most productive offensive season with the Calgary Flames last season, scoring three goals and adding 14 assists.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yup. I was waiting for things to start shifting around....

The Avs always try & pick someone up for insurance purposes....

lucky wilbury
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...83&hubName=nhl

Avs acquire Sauer; part with Skoula

TSN.ca Staff

2/21/2004

DENVER, Colo. - The Colorado Avalanche has acquired defenseman Kurt Sauer and a fourth round draft choice in the 2005 Entry Draft from the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. In return, the Avalanche gave up the services of Martin Skoula.

"We are excited to add a defenseman of Kurt's size and ability to our roster," said Colorado Avalanche President and General Manager Pierre Lacroix. "At 23, Kurt is a young player already possessing over a year's worth of NHL regular season and playoff experience. We expect him to be a strong contributor on our blue line for many years to come."

Drafted by the Avalanche in the 3rd round (88th overall) in 2000, Sauer signed as a free agent with the Mighty Ducks in 2002.

In 55 games played with the Mighty Ducks this season, Sauer has notched one goal and four assists with 32 penalty minutes while logging an average of 16:53 in ice time. During his rookie campaign in 2002-03, Sauer collected a goal and two assists in 80 contests, including a goal and an assist in 21 playoff games.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    08-20-2016 @ 03:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Going to the NJ vs. Penguins game on March 17th. Got tix half price from the Cub Scouts. My oldest son and I are going.

VA Beach VH Fan: The Pens are sinking faster than the Titanic. What's going on?

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

18 losses in a row!! Holy shit !!

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Holy shit is right. So what's really on Mario's mind besides the CBA, & the losses, & the injuries..&.....

Damn...

BuzinBad
    Originally posted by Hecubus
    You & I are going to have some interesting conversations, bro. You fuckin' Stars fan you...or is it the Dallas SARS this year? Nyuk nyuk nyuk....

I concur on the CBA...they've gotta get it done. I can't be without my hockey...
    Well they started as SARS but they are quickly coming back to STARS. Like I said we just can't keep up because when we win the Sharks win. Will make for an interesting end to the regular season. Normally it isn't very interesting having the playoffs rapped up early. Guess those days are gone for us. Good luck. I don't hate the Sharks as much as I hated Marchment. F'n dirty playing prick. But that is another conversation.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Holy shit is right. So what's really on Mario's mind besides the CBA, & the losses, & the injuries..&.....

Damn...
    As I said when Von was busting my balls at DDLR, they've been in nearly every game during this streak.... EVH Fanatic, trust me, you and your boy are going to enjoy it, the Pens play extremely hard, and play Jersey really well... Don't be surprised if the game is closer than you think....

I've watched every game this year except for one, and that was because I was with Pojo in Greensboro for Aerosmith/KISS....

Now that's a true fan, boys....

The Penguins' problems ?? Christ, this may take a while....

1. CBA - First and foremost, the NHL will not survive with a crooked system like baseball has... If they don't fix it now, not only will the Pens be gone, but about 5 others also...

2. New arena - I think this will happen, it depends on the approval of slot machines in the state... People love to gamble no matter what state they live in....

3. Scouting/Drafts - Have absolutely fucking sucked for quite a while now.... Outside of the last couple of years, they haven't had a decent draft, not even a decent #1 pick, in quite a long time.... The last few years have been good though, with Fleury this year, and hopefully Ovechkin next year....

4. Trades - Have absolutely fucking sucked for quite a while now (didn't I just say that ??)... Lemme put it to you this way, I actually got excited last week when we traded Berehowsky for Ric Jackman !!! (Seriously, we made out on that deal)....

But here's what killed the Penguins.... OK, it's a given, they had to get rid of Jagr, Kovalev, Lang, and Straka because they couldn't afford them any longer....

First, they trade Jagr to the Capitals... OK, that's understandable, the Caps HAD money back then... But who did they get for him ?? Kris Beech, Michael Sivek, and Ross Lupaschuk.... Beech is a major underachiever and still in the minors, Sivek is even worse.... Lupa looks like he may make it, he's got a cannon as a D-man....

Then last year, it was time for Kovalev to go to the Rangers.... Who did they get in that blockbuster deal ?? Rico Fata, who had about 9 goals right off the bat and was leading Kovalev in scoring for quite a while, but has extremely cooled off.... Mikael Samuelsson, a very average forward who went to Florida in the Fleury deal on draft day....Joel Bouchard, who got released by the Pens and signed back on with the Rangers !!!.... And Richard Litner, who didn't even play one season with the Pens before going back to Europe to play....

Lang left as a F.A., but fuckin' Craig Patrick didn't trade him before the deadline, foolishly thinking they'd make the playoffs....

Straka's deal may end up to be a good one... They got Martin Strbak, who looks to be a good D-man, until he broke his foot, and Russian prospect Sergei Anshakov, who many believe outplayed his teammate Ovechkin at the World Junior Championships.....

And finally, that leads us to Mario... As many of you know, bad-mouthing Mario is like sacreligious in Pittsburgh, it just doesn't happen... But the past couple of years, his injuries have been extremely questioned in the 'Burgh... First, he gets hurt and sits out the year until he plays for the Olympics... Now, he will sit out the year and will supposedly be ready for the 2004 World Cup of Hockey.... In addition, his complete silence since he got hurt in November has been harshly criticized... He hasn't said one word to the fans....

So in summary, yes, they are taking some major lumps now obviously... But hopefully with a new CBA, new arena, and their several excellent prospects maturing, they'll be a force sooner than you think....

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If they survive the CBA....

It would be pretty hard to picture the league without the Pens, especially when a couple of the expansion teams would survive...

1. Salary Cap (Tough shit. There should be one in every sport)
    2. Get rid of the instigator rule
    3. Let the goalies handle the puck outside the crease, but make 'em fair game
    4. Move the trade deadline out so there's not so much rent-a-player happening....

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Good points bro! You should replace Bettmann as commish.

Sucka
    If they survive the CBA....

It would be pretty hard to picture the league without the Pens, especially when a couple of the expansion teams would survive...

1. Salary Cap (Tough shit. There should be one in every sport)
    2. Get rid of the instigator rule
    3. Let the goalies handle the puck outside the crease, but make 'em fair game
    4. Move the trade deadline out so there's not so much rent-a-player happening....

All great points. Not sure about the trade deadline thing, but if you get a hard cap in there, that should take care of all the trading. It'll make it like the NBA where it's tough too move high end guys, cause you have too match up the salary's and what not.

I'm with you on the instigator rule for sure. You get rid of that bullshit rule, and i'll be you the stick infractions go down by a mile, and so well concussions cause guys wont be out there taking liberties.

What do you guys think of making it mandatory for guys too wear sheilds?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't know if I'd make it mandatory, but how about bumping up the high sticking penalty to 4 minutes, with another 2 for blood ??

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Sucka
    All great points. Not sure about the trade deadline thing, but if you get a hard cap in there, that should take care of all the trading. It'll make it like the NBA where it's tough too move high end guys, cause you have too match up the salary's and what not.

I'm with you on the instigator rule for sure. You get rid of that bullshit rule, and i'll be you the stick infractions go down by a mile, and so well concussions cause guys wont be out there taking liberties.

What do you guys think of making it mandatory for guys too wear sheilds?
    Hey welcome aboard Sucka!

Sucka
    Thanks Fanataic! Bout time I headed over this way and see what you guys were up too.

About the high sticking, I think a mandatory 4 mins would be good, but I never liked the blood thing. You either get high sticked or ya dont. Blood shouldnt determine the amount of time ya have too spend in the box IMO. Now if it's a McCsorley job like what he did too Brashear years ago, then yea more mins should be asessed.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If not 4 minutes for high sticking, make them serve the entire two minutes regardless of goals scored.

lucky wilbury
    if thats the case why not make all penelties that way. i'd also like to throw in if one player takes his hand of his stick and either a:hold the other players stick b: grabs the other player that it gets called. grant it it's in the rules now but it's not called.

lucky wilbury
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...26&hubName=nhl

Red Wings acquire Lang

TSN.ca Staff

2/27/2004

The Red Wings have done it again. TSN has learned that Detroit has acquired centre Robert Lang from the Washington Capitals for Tomas Fleischmann, a first round pick in 2004 and a fourth round pick in 2006.

Lang is tied for the NHL lead in scoring with 74 points (29 goals, 45 assists). In eleven NHL seasons, Lang has played in 640 games, tallied 173 goals and dished out 289 assists. Lang has been in Washington the past two seasons and spent nearly four seasons with the Pittsburgh Penguins. He has also spent time with the Boston Bruins and Los Angeles Kings.

The 19-year-old Fleischmann is among the WHL's leading scorers, with 28 goals and 69 points in 53 games with the Moose Jaw Warriors this season.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Got to like it if you're a Wings fan. And I am.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I just gotta giggle watching the Caps turn into the second-generation Penguins....

But I will say this, at least the Caps got a good return for Lang....

They traded Jagr and all they got back was the overrated Anson Carter....

I think Gonchar will be gone to Toronto by the end of the weekend, they scratched him tonight, saying he had the "flu"....

lucky wilbury
    one of the deals for Gonchar is samsonov,jillson and 1st round pick. if they send sammy out i swear i'll kick the crap out of mike o connel myself

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It is interesting to see how some of these clubs are handling business with the upcoming labor dispute looming over everyone. I think that it will make for an very intense playoff season this year.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

In that respect Al, the Pens prepared for the lockout well...

They knew they wouldn't be able to keep the big contracts (Jagr, Kovalev, Lang, Straka) with the uncertain status of the CBA, so they got rid of them in time to establish a core group of promising youngsters on the roster when the CBA expires....

I guess the thinking is with a kindler/gentler CBA for all of the clubs, they can afford to keep their prospects when they mature and start producing...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I am getting the feeling that this strike/lockout will be just as bad, if not worse than the one in 1995. This could get ugly, with players threatening to play over seas.

Although, I will admit that the reduced schedule that season of 50 games almost made every game a playoff game.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-07-2015 @ 05:45 AM
    Status
    Thanks

ESPN the Magazine, in its last edition, said in one of their "insider" deals said that no one will go on record and say it, but NHL officials are preparing for a 18 month lockout/strike.

18 months!!! Most teams might not make it thru that.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What gets me is that even the successful teams, Ottawa for example, one the elite in the East, but bankrupt. And I agree with that, some teams make not make it through that period of time.

I know I am going to make it a point to enjoy the hockey we have this season, it may be awhile after that.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Break up the Penguins !!!!!!

Two out of three, they're rolling now !!!!!

Penguins 3, Islanders 2, OT
    Feb. 29, 2004

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (AP) Ryan Malone scored 2:45 into overtime to give the Pittsburgh Penguins a come-from-behind 3-2 victory Sunday over the New York Islanders.

Malone picked up a rebound of Alexei Morozov's shot and beat Garth Snow to give the Penguins their second overtime victory in three games after losing a team-record 18 straight (0-17-0-1). They haven't won in regulation since winning at Philadelphia on Jan. 12 and have dropped an NHL-record 14 straight at home.

Pittsburgh ended its three-game road trip 2-1 and will try to earn their first home victory since Dec. 29 when they play the Islanders again on Tuesday. New York started the Penguins' home losing streak with 6-1 win on New Year's Eve.

Tomas Surovy and Ric Jackman also scored for the Penguins, who got 38 saves from Andy Chiodo.

Janne Niinimaa and Oleg Kvasha scored and Snow made 20 saves for the eighth-place Islanders, who are two points behind Montreal in the Eastern Conference playoff race.

The Penguins killed off four penalties in the first period, including a two-man disadvantage that lasted 1:28 and yielded only one shot. But Pittsburgh gave up a goal on the Islanders' last shot of the period, a slap shot from the right point by Niinimaa with 5.2 seconds left.

Surovy tied it 68 seconds into the middle period. Milan Kraft won a faceoff back to Surovy, whose one-timer struck the crossbar and dropped in behind Snow.

The Islanders took back the lead during Pittsburgh's first power-play chance. Chiodo stopped Kvasha's initial shot from the left side, but the Islanders forward knocked the rebound in at 12:14 for his career-best 14th goal of the season.

Pittsburgh fared much better on its next power play, scoring four seconds into the advantage to tie it with 34.9 seconds left in the period.

Off a right circle faceoff, Kraft drew the puck back to Dick Tarnstrom, who crossed it over to Jackman for a slap shot that beat Snow high.

Notes: Islanders captain Michael Peca missed his second straight game due to a gash on his leg, sustained Thursday when he was struck by a puck. ... New York was 7-2-3 in its previous 12 home games with both losses coming to the Ranges. ... Last season, the Penguins lost 308 man-games due to injury after 64 contests. This season, the number has dropped to 219. ... The Islanders lead the season series 3-0-1-1 with one game remaining.

lucky wilbury
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...83&hubName=nhl

Canadiens obtain Kovalev from Rangers

3/2/2004

MONTREAL (CP-AP) - The Montreal Canadiens added some much needed scoring help to their lineup Tuesday night by acquiring winger Alexei Kovalev from the New York Rangers.

In return, the Canadiens sent prospect Josef Balej and a 2004 second-round pick to the Rangers, who are on their way to a seventh straight season out of the playoffs.

Montreal, meanwhile, is currently seventh in the Eastern Conference with 76 points, 11 points up on Florida for the final playoff spot.

``Our team has shown perseverance and strength throughout this season,'' Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey said in a release. ``The opportunity to support the pursuit of our goal of making the playoffs by acquiring a veteran NHL player was presented to us and we have taken on that opportunity.''

Kovalev is earning $6.6 million US this year and will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, so his stay in Montreal may be short.

The Canadiens hope it will be long enough to take them deep into the playoffs. Team president Pierre Boivin announced last week that Montreal must reach the third round of the post-season to break even this year.

In Kovalev, Montreal gets a potent forward who has scored 30 or more goals each of the last three seasons. The 32-year-old is also a veteran who won a Stanley Cup with the Rangers in 1994.

This season, he has 13 goals and 42 points in 66 games.

``I expected that they were going to trade me,'' Kovalev said. ``They talked about it a lot, rumours have been around for a while about most of the guys.

``I knew that eventually I was going to go somewhere, so I was ready for that. I tried to still play for this organization. You can't just stop playing, so I kept working hard. Now I am just going to another team to do my best.''

Balej, 22, was selected in the third round of the 2000 draft by the Canadiens. He leads the Hamilton Bulldogs - Montreal's American Hockey League affiliate - in every offensive category this year, scoring 25 goals and 58 points in 55 games.

The trade was Gainey's first since taking over the general manager's job in Montreal last summer. It also marks the start of what is expected to be a busy week in New York, as the struggling Rangers try and offload some of their high-priced players before the March 9 trading deadline.

New York general manager Glen Sather announced last week when he gave up his coaching duties that changes were about to take place.

It was the second time Kovalev was traded away by the Rangers. He was reacquired by New York from Pittsburgh on Feb. 10, 2003, after scoring 149 goals in parts of five seasons with the Penguins, playing much of the time with Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr.

However, he had just 23 goals and 32 assists in 90 games during his second stay in New York.

``He's a good player, but for whatever reason - whether it was the chemistry or the mix - it just didn't work,'' Rangers assistant GM Don Maloney said.

Kovalev couldn't apply his scoring touch with the Rangers, the team with which he spent his first six-plus seasons.

``I have to do better than I did before,'' Kovalev said after New York's 4-3 loss Tuesday night to Atlanta. ``I came in and I was happy, and I wish I could have done better with this organization. But I guess it didn't work for me.

``Right now I don't want to hurt a team anymore and I guess it's just time for me to move.''

In 837 career games with the Rangers and Penguins, Kovalev has scored 291 goals and 677 points.

lucky wilbury
    you knew something was up when morrison was out of the game last night with an injury that no one saw happen. don't know if this is a good deal for the b's. the d core is pretty good but they still need a second line center! get a center!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...38&hubName=nhl

Gonchar dealt to Bruins

TSN.ca Staff with CP files

3/3/2004

After shipping out Jaromir Jagr, Peter Bondra and Robert Lang, the Washington Capitals have dumped some more salary - this time off their own blueline - sending defenceman Sergei Gonchar to the Boston Bruins in exchange for defenceman Shaone Morrisonn and a first and second round draft pick in the 2004 Entry Draft.

"The addition of Sergei makes us a better hockey club,'' Bruins general manager Mike O'Connell said in a statement.

"He is one of the premier offensive defencemen in the game and that was an element that we felt needed upgrading on our team. He moves the puck very well, has great awareness on the ice and will be a great addition to our power play.''

Gonchar is in the final year of a four-year, $13.95 million US contract that pays him $3,650,000 this season.

The 29-year old veteran has seven goals and 49 points this season, leading all NHL defenceman in scoring.

"Sergei Gonchar is an outstanding player, but given the uncertainty we are all facing next season and his impending unrestricted free agency thereafter, we thought it best to make the move to acquire young assets now," said McPhee.

The 10-year veteran was taken 14th overall in the 1992 NHL Entry Draft by the Capitals. He made his NHL debut in the 1994-95 season and scored seven points as a rookie. He led all Capitals' defencemen in scoring over the next two seasons and led the team's blueline with 11 playoff points as the Capitals went the Stanley Cup Final in 1998.

In 1998-99, Gonchar played just 53 games, and led team defencemen with 21 goals and 31 points. He also led the Capitals with 13 power play goals and was the first Russian defenceman to score 20 goals in an NHL season.

In 1999-2000, Gonchar finished the season with a team best +26 rating and became the second defenceman in team history to score a hat trick.

Morrisonn, a Vancouver native, had one goal, seven assists and a plus-10 rating in 30 games with the Bruins this season. He's the kind of young NHL defenceman Caps GM George McPhee was insisting had to be part of any Gonchar trade.

"Shaone Morrisonn was the best young defenceman available and the player we wanted," McPhee added. "We are pleased to have him and expect him to be one of our top four defencemen for a very long time."

Morrisonn, chosen 19th overall by Boston in the 2001 entry draft, is six foot three and 205 pounds, a big, mobile defenceman McPhee was looking for as he rebuilds the Caps.

lucky wilbury
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...88&hubName=nhl

Oilers acquire Nedved and Markkanen

TSN.ca Staff

3/3/2004

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has acquired forward Dwight Helminen, a second round selection in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and goaltender Stephen Valiquette from the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for centre Petr Nedved and goaltender Jussi Markkanen.

Helminen, 20, has skated in 32 games this season for University of Michigan Wolverines of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA), registering 13 goals and 10 assists for 23 points, along with four penalty minutes. He currently ranks second on the Wolverines with 13 goals and ranks fifth on the team with 23 points. On January 10, Helminen tallied a career-high four goals on four shots in Michigans 7-1 victory over Ohio State. He was named CCHA Offensive Player of the Week with a three-point series against Ohio State on November 14 and 15.

The 6-0, 200-pounder has appeared in 110 career contests with the University of Michigan Wolverines, collecting 40 goals and 34 assists for 74 points, along with 48 penalty minutes. During the 2002-03 regular season, he registered 17 goals and 16 assists for 33 points. He finished the season tied for the third on the team with 33 points and posted career-bests in all scoring categories. In 2003 post-season play, Helminen tied for the team lead in post-season scoring with six goals and one assist for seven points, leading to his selection to the CCHA Super Six All-Tournament team. Internationally, Helminen has represented the United States at the 2002 and 2003 IIHF World Junior Championships.

The native of Hancock, Michigan was originally Edmontons eighth round selection, 244th overall, in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

Valiquette, 26, has appeared in 35 matches this season with the Toronto Roadrunners of the American Hockey League (AHL), posting a record of 14-14-5, along with a 2.59 goals against average. He also appeared in one game with Edmonton this season. In seven career NHL matches with Edmonton and the New York Islanders, he has registered a record of 2-0-0, along with a 2.32 goals against average.

The 6-5, 205-pound goaltender signed as a free agent with Edmonton on July 20, 2003. He was originally drafted by the Los Angeles Kings as their eighth choice, 190th overall, in the 1996 NHL Entry Draft.

Nedved, 32, has appeared in 65 games for the Rangers this season, registering 14 goals and 17 assists for 31 points, along with 42 penalty minutes. In 478 career games with the Rangers, Nedved collected 149 goals and 202 assists for 351 points, along with 312 penalty minutes.

Markkanen, 28, has appeared in 26 matches with New York this season, posting a mark of 8-12-1, along with a 2.56 goals against average.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And the hits keep on comin....

Maple Leafs acquire Brian Leetch

TSN.ca Staff

3/3/2004

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Wednesday evening that the hockey club has acquired defenceman Brian Leetch and a conditional draft choice from the New York Rangers in exchange for defenceman Max Kondratiev, forward Jarkko Immonen, Toronto's first-round pick in the 2004 Entry Draft and the team's second-round pick in 2005.

"Brian has been a premier defenceman in this league since first coming into the league," said GM John Ferguson. "We look forward to having a player with his great credentials joining our group."

Leetch, 36, has played 57 games for the New York Rangers this season collecting 36 points (13 goals, 23 assists) with 24 penalty minutes. He ranks fifth in the NHL in average ice time (26:14) and 10th among NHL defencemen in points. Leetch leads the team in powerplay points (19) and average ice time as well as leading all team defencemen in goals, assists, points and shots (165).

The native of Corpus Christi, Texas has captured the James Norris Memorial Trophy on two occasions (1992, 1997), the Calder Memorial Trophy in 1989 and the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1994. He has been named to the NHL First All-Star Team twice (1992, 1997) and to the NHL Second All-Star Team three times (1991, 1994, 1996). Leetch was named to the NHL All-Rookie Team in 1989 and has played in nine NHL All-Star Games (1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002). He won the Stanley Cup with the New York Rangers in 1994.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And while I'm on the topic of the Maple Leafs....

Yo, Full Bugger, you gotta answer this one....

Why oh why is it that EVERY hockey website in Canada says that the Maple Leafs are interested in EVERY player on the trading block ???

I sometimes laugh out loud reading this stuff....

It sure as hell seems like that, every major player whose rumored to get traded, "Toronto has expressed an interest in.....", or some shit like that....

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wow, the Leafs got Leetch. Full Bug must be as happy as a pig in shit.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bruins acquire C Nylander from Capitals

March 4, 2004

BOSTON (Ticker) - After bolstering their blue line by acquiring Sergei Gonchar, the Boston Bruins again turned to the Washington Capitals on Thursday as they acquired center Michael Nylander for a second-round pick in the 2006 draft.

Nylander and Gonchar both are expected to play Thursday night, when Boston hosts the New York Islanders.

The 31-year-old Nylander missed the first 63 games of the season with a broken right leg and has two assists in three contests.

"Michael is a proven center who gives us an additional offensive threat," Bruins general manager Mike O'Connell said. "He has fullly healed from his injury and we look forward to having him on our team."

Nylander has played 633 games with five different teams and has 139 goals and 296 assists. In 24 playoff games, the 6-1, 195-pound Swede has three goals and 11 assists.

"Michael is a good player," Capitals general manager George McPhee said. "It's unfortunate that he missed most of this year with an injury, but he wanted an opportunity to play in the playoffs. Given the status of his unrestricted free agency this summer and our reluctance to enter into new contracts until we know what the new collective bargaining agreement holds, we felt it in his best interest to acquire an asset for Michael at this time."

On Wednesday, the Bruins acquired Gonchar from Washington for defenseman Shaone Morrisonn and first- and second-round picks in the 2004 draft. The Capitals have traded away Jaromir Jagr, Peter Bondra, Robert Lang and Steve Konowalchuk this season and have three first-round first picks in the 2004 draft.

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 06:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    And while I'm on the topic of the Maple Leafs....

Yo, Full Bugger, you gotta answer this one....

Why oh why is it that EVERY hockey website in Canada says that the Maple Leafs are interested in EVERY player on the trading block ???

I sometimes laugh out loud reading this stuff....

It sure as hell seems like that, every major player whose rumored to get traded, "Toronto has expressed an interest in.....", or some shit like that....
    Not really sure, I dont write that stuff.....The only thing I can guess it that everyone here knows Toronto has been looking to improve their defence....

Thread Information