Thread: Was it wise for Dave to refuse doing a video with VH in 1996?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-10-2015 @ 11:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Was it wise for Dave to refuse doing a video with VH in 1996?

Dave didn't like the treatment so he said fuck doing the video for best of vol I. I say Dave was wise,some say no!!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Of course Dave was right to say "fuck this!".

According to him, the treatment was to have Dave singing by himself on a video screen above the band who jammed in the foreground.

It was a slap in the face to CVH and to their video legacy and Dave knew it!

When I read the treatment as stated by Dave in his CFTH book, it just made me sick.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Rock n' Roll Junkie
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-11-2007 @ 02:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Video or no video...The VMA's in 96' happend..and the rest is (sadly) history...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    If Dave's description of the treatment was accurate, then he made the right choice (seem to remember EW mag printing a description of the proposed video as being something along the lines of 'lots of composition of Ed, Al and Mike jamming in the foreground, with Dave being projected in as an apparition', then went on to say 'Diamond Dave may have already done Vegas, but he wasn't going to go out as a ghost'.)

Was amazing at the time to find out that Van Halen were still considering doing a video with Dave in the period bewteen the VMAs and early October of 1996. Just seems clear that Ed and co. wanted Dave only for the BOV1 tracks from the get-go, and really bullshitted Dave into thinking there was more to come. Pretty much took Roth making a press release to let everyone know what was going on with the band post-VMAs, and the Van Halens were caught responding.

One image that sits there is that of Ed and Al talking to MTV in Oct 1996, sitting on that couch, just acting like a couple of spoiled children in the throes of 'it's my ball and if you don't play the way I want I'm taking it home' syndrome. The response they got? By and large, people said fuck 'em.

Nothin' but Yeah
    Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    09-20-2006 @ 08:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The whole "video in the back" thing would have been lame. Its a shitty way to end CVH, and I'm glad it was never produced, so they can't get the joy from it.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

FUCK The Sisters.

Fucking assshole cocksuckers.

THEY ruined Van Halen.

THEY wanted all the responsibility...

THEY TOOK THE BALL AND FUMBLED IT AND LOST THE GAME.

I say this out of frustration...They can KISS MY MOTHERFUCKING ASS!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-05-2009 @ 06:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I agree - At this point in the game, the ONLY person who could give the sisters credibility is DAVE!

They know it and Dave knows it!

But they won't admit it, so................................................ .............................

Nothing happens as their vanity/ego will not accept the fact that only DAVE will make it all better again!

Roth & Roll!

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    04-25-2006 @ 05:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

God, the sisters anger me so with their bullshit...Dave made the right choice. How DARE they try to fuck him over? They should have been praising Dave, because without him, THEY'D BE NOTHIN'!!!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

and they got what they deserved...ga y cherone era...with cancelled tours and becoming totally irrelevant...class act from dave to stay away from this shit...

Dave IS VH
    Wasn't Dave kicked out like a few days to a week after the VMA? So, Dave had no chance to do a video for BOFV 1 nor plan a tour. Dave wanted the reunion VH fucking kicked him out!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Dave IS VH
    Wasn't Dave kicked out like a few days to a week after the VMA? So, Dave had no chance to do a video for BOFV 1 nor plan a tour. Dave wanted the reunion VH fucking kicked him out!
    no...dave wasn't kicked out...there was silence from the VH camp after the VMA's and then dave wrote his open letter to the press...fully being aware that the sister tried to screw him...dave left this tricky scenerie on a high note...

I've returned
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-15-2012 @ 02:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    dave was definitely smart for doing that

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2010 @ 04:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I think being a Van Halen fan equals pissing against the wind, really.
    I'd rather have seen old footage collaged together to new music than anything like they proposed.

But even at that, I am not interested in Ed playing Van Hagar guitar to Dave's voice.
    The two new songs in '96 ran very close to just pissing me off.

I still say those songs lacked soul because Dave had little to do with the arrangement like he used to.
    Yeah he was there, but it was empty of anything even remotely "MIGHTY".

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    05-15-2006 @ 08:49 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I totally agree with you on this one.
    What they did to Dave was so wrong.I just don't understand why they can't give credit to the guy after all the years he worked with them. The brother have been beahaving like a bunch of old petty ladies, they are totally farway form reality they are living in their own little world. Are they drinking a lot or something? Cos their brain is somewhere else and I am writing this thinking at how great they where at the beginning, all of them.
    Millermoos

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Dave IS VH

Well, the Van Halens must have thought they were in a no-lose position in the summer of 1996.

I think Ed and Al just weren't aware of what CVH meant to people, and how psyched people were that Dave was working with the band again. Therefore, not being able to see down the road and view the possible fallout that would ensue if they didn't go all the way with Roth (full-length new album and tour), seems likely that Ed, Al and their managers thought that the worst-case scenario would be just to continue on with a third singer if it didn't work out with Dave, and still enjoy a degree of commercial success with Cherone (remember, these guys still sold a decent amount of records after Dave left in 1985. Not as much as CVH, but no reason to think they wouldn't be able to do it a third time).

Wouldn't be a shocker to find out that at some point between completion of the two BOV1 tracks and the MTV VMAS that Dave was pushing for CVH to tour, and that Ed and Co had already decided not to continue any further with Dave beyond doing the VMAs, and were just looking for an excuse to rid themselves of him...but if they could get him to appear in some videos for MWM and CGTSNM, then all the better. And it isn't too hard to believe that Ed and Co. never pointedly told Dave post-VMAs/pre-Oct DLR open letter that they were all done with him. I don't really count forthrightness and being truthful as weapons in Ed and Al's arsenal.

Put it this way; the eventual fallout couldn't have been any worse for Van Halen if Ed and Al had just went on tv and said that they were only working with Dave in order to sell a few more copies of BOV1 from the get-go, and if any of the fans don't like the fact that Cherone is in the band, then they can go fuck themselves(am sure the half-million who bought VH3 would still have done so regardless). As opposed to what they ended up doing, which was offering a bunch of whiny, bullshit excuses.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    05-15-2006 @ 08:49 AM
    Status
    Thanks

You can say what you want but I still don't like G.Cherone, never bought one of the Van Halen records with him or Sammy Hagar on and never will. Vah Halen is David Lee Roth like Mick Jager is to the Rolling Stones and this is a David lee Roth fansiite not a G. Cherone' one, I think you are in the wrong website.
    Millermoss

Rock n' Roll Junkie
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The truth is Nobody would pay a lot of $$$ to watch eddie play for 3 hours solo. I'll always respect him as a guitar player...but you need a good frontman to make that guitar sound even more intresting..it's called chemestry..and without Dave...you guys know the rest. I hope to GOD that rumor about VH doing that reality TV show is only a rumor. I just can';t stand the thought of ANOTHER fucking lead singer. Enough already...BRING BACK THE DIAMOND ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Gunnery Sgt. of Sound
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-06-2006 @ 06:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Dirty Duck
    The truth is Nobody would pay a lot of $$$ to watch eddie play for 3 hours solo. I'll always respect him as a guitar player...but you need a good frontman to make that guitar sound even more intresting..it's called chemestry..and without Dave...you guys know the rest. I hope to GOD that rumor about VH doing that reality TV show is only a rumor. I just can';t stand the thought of ANOTHER fucking lead singer. Enough already...BRING BACK THE DIAMOND ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dirty Duck. Feed birdies. Conference. Call me back.

OR: You can't get romantic with Ed. Don't fly with that Dutchman.

But HEY: DAVE can't make hits with ED because ED is not the composer of the riffs you jerks all bought.

And WHUT! You sure are dogged and determined to put Ed up anywhere at all but in Wolfie's face. Ed isn't anywhere without ripoffs.

Say SHIT: Bottom line for bottom feeders, you can't carp diamonds out of DAVE who gets a little pearly over diving off the Ed derelict and letting all you fools figure out he's still alive and YOU live with him and the derelict idea of putting back the Train Robbers, but their leader died, so ferget it, turds. And nobody named ED craps out diamonds.

Come and pay for it, THEN get it, assholes and elbows, whoever wants.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

Originally posted by bobgnote
    Dirty Duck. Feed birdies. Conference. Call me back.

OR: You can't get romantic with Ed. Don't fly with that Dutchman.

But HEY: DAVE can't make hits with ED because ED is not the composer of the riffs you jerks all bought.

And WHUT! You sure are dogged and determined to put Ed up anywhere at all but in Wolfie's face. Ed isn't anywhere without ripoffs.

Say SHIT: Bottom line for bottom feeders, you can't carp diamonds out of DAVE who gets a little pearly over diving off the Ed derelict and letting all you fools figure out he's still alive and YOU live with him and the derelict idea of putting back the Train Robbers, but their leader died, so ferget it, turds. And nobody named ED craps out diamonds.

Come and pay for it, THEN get it, assholes and elbows, whoever wants.
    Haven't you shut up yet?

Rock n' Roll Junkie
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

bobgonote I have no clue what the fuck your saying cause you can't write for shit.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-28-2020 @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

bobgnote knows a great song when he hears it...

Originally posted by bobgnote
    ... fools ...
    Roth on!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Best decision Dave ever made IMO.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Next to joining Van Halen of course.

Drop and give me ten!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2023 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Smart move by Dave by not doing the video. I just wish all those fuckers could get along and start making kick ass music again.

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-19-2016 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
    Smart move by Dave by not doing the video. I just wish all those fuckers could get along and start making kick ass music again.
    I totally agree..

yo bobgnote, pass that shit over here

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

It was AVH's way of minimizing DAVE.....having him on a video screen as opposed to in the same room with the band.....

FUCK YOU SHEMP VAN HALEN!!!!!

Thread Information