Thread: What Are The 4 Worst KISS CDs?

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

What Are The 4 Worst KISS CDs?

Pick 'em and stick 'em. What 4 suck shit from an armpit?

4. Hot In The Shade - mixed by a salty vagina with more filler than killer. Really felt like Gene just phoned it in and could care less about the songs. KISS lite is not my thing. Better hide your heart/better hold on tight/this CD sucks/I want my money back tonight.

3. Unmasked - some great songs here but the way it was produced and mixed turned it into pop slop. Can you imagine a heavy mix (ala Creatures of the Night) on Unmasked?

2. Crazy Nights - sure, the songs were filled with radio friendly hooks and polished like a pop diamond but there were some decent tunes. What lands Crazy Nights on the shit pile are 2 really, really bad songs - "Crazy, Crazy Nights" and "Turn On The Night." I would rather choke myself with a pile of used tampons than be forced to ever hear either of these two again.

and the most filthy chunk of rotted KISS flesh ever unleashed on society is...

1. Peter Criss solo - horrible...fucking horrible. This is the only KISS release that I listened to once. One time people and then never, ever again. Oh, I tried to give it a second chance, I really did...but it sucks...it sucks hard...it sucks so hard that my balls were dry for a month. Don't ever waste your money on this vanity project/abortion. Show it no mercy...

Mezro...and there you have it...next...
    Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    4. Unmasked

Ya know, I like the Ace songs. Gene's were promising and I dug 'Shandi' from Paul -- but a poppy production and some really gay songs from Paul didn't make this a great KISS album by any means -- which is why it goes here.

3. Asylum

This album reeks of shit -- really bad.

2. Crazy Nights

The title song -- what were they thinking?? Oh yeah, they were thinking "GAY". How about Gene's "No, No, No."

1. Hot in the Shade

Absolute shit. Case in point: Boomerang (Gene), You Love Me to Hate You (Paul), Silver Spoon (Paul). UGH. I could go on...
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    5. Hot In the Shade
    4. Crazy Nights
    3. Asylum
    2. Animalize
    1. The Elder

They had a couple of cool tunes on each but overall, absolute SHit!!!!

Yes, I have hogged it !!
    Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The 'Kissco' album, the one with 'I was made for loving you', sucked a huge cock
    Yeah, shes a pig, but she swallows.

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Mezro

4. Hot In The Shade - mixed by a salty vagina with more filler than killer. Really felt like Gene just phoned it in and could care less about the songs. KISS lite is not my thing. Better hide your heart/better hold on tight/this CD sucks/I want my money back tonight.

3. Unmasked - some great songs here but the way it was produced and mixed turned it into pop slop. Can you imagine a heavy mix (ala Creatures of the Night) on Unmasked?

2. Crazy Nights - sure, the songs were filled with radio friendly hooks and polished like a pop diamond but there were some decent tunes. What lands Crazy Nights on the shit pile are 2 really, really bad songs - "Crazy, Crazy Nights" and "Turn On The Night." I would rather choke myself with a pile of used tampons than be forced to ever hear either of these two again.

1. Peter Criss solo - horrible...fucking horrible. This is the only KISS release that I listened to once. One time people and then never, ever again. Oh, I tried to give it a second chance, I really did...but it sucks...it sucks hard...it sucks so hard that my balls were dry for a month. Don't ever waste your money on this vanity project/abortion. Show it no mercy...

I know I'll catch wind for this....but I prefer the original 4 to the 'unmasked' lineup(s) in the eighties - however I still really really dug that 'Lick It Up-Animalize-Asylum-Crazy Nights-Hot In The Shade-Revenge' stuff too, just not as much.

Worst KISS stuff, IMO:

Peter Criss Solo - Yeah yeah, 2 or maybe 3 decent songs, but nowhere near up to par. This and Ace's album is, coincidentally, the album that most racists love to defend....so what...it still sucks, regardless of your Stanley/Simmons issues.....next.....

Ace Frehley Solo - While much better than Peter's in a 'rock guitar' way, Ace knows $#!+ about writing lyrics. And since I'm big on lyrics, this albums sucks the big wazoo. Big Time. Don't believe me? How does: "Speedin' back to my baby.....and I don't mean maybe" make sense? Don't get me wrong, Ace's 'Frehley's Comet' release proved further that this guy truly knows $#!+ about writing lyrics....

The Elder - This coulda/woulda/shoulda been a great release...it was a great idea....at first. This was about as exciting as a Nirvana album, with similar chord patterns....like drowning a guitar. Oh well...

Carnival Of Souls - Speaking of Nirvana, who was KISS fooling? I can clearly see why they didn't want to release this. With only a few songs that were really great, it wasn't enough to save it. Sounded like the autobiography of a sadistic satanist. But enough of Ace Frehley....

The 'Unmasked Years' In General - Sure there were about 20-30 songs that were great during these years, I still prefer the original lineup, despite the lazy slacking and usual drunkenness abandon of Peter and Ace - the original lineup had the best synergy and overal musical outcome.

Disagree? So what....it's only your opinion.....

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Mezro

I know I'll catch wind for this....but I prefer the original 4 to the 'unmasked' lineup(s) in the eighties - however I still really really dug that 'Lick It Up-Animalize-Asylum-Crazy Nights-Hot In The Shade-Revenge' stuff too, just not as much.

Worst KISS stuff, IMO:

Peter Criss Solo - Yeah yeah, 2 or maybe 3 decent songs, but nowhere near up to par. This and Ace's album is, coincidentally, the album that most racists love to defend....so what...it still sucks, regardless of your Stanley/Simmons issues.....next.....

Ace Frehley Solo - While much better than Peter's in a 'rock guitar' way, Ace knows $#!+ about writing lyrics. And since I'm big on lyrics, this albums sucks the big wazoo. Big Time. Don't believe me? How does: "Speedin' back to my baby.....and I don't mean maybe" make sense? Don't get me wrong, Ace's 'Frehley's Comet' release proved further that this guy truly knows $#!+ about writing lyrics....

The Elder - This coulda/woulda/shoulda been a great release...it was a great idea....at first. This was about as exciting as a Nirvana album, with similar chord patterns....like drowning a guitar. Oh well...

Carnival Of Souls - Speaking of Nirvana, who was KISS fooling? I can clearly see why they didn't want to release this. With only a few songs that were really great, it wasn't enough to save it. Sounded like the autobiography of a sadistic satanist. But enough of Ace Frehley....

The 'Unmasked Years' In General - Sure there were about 20-30 songs that were great during these years, I still prefer the original lineup, despite the lazy slacking and usual drunkenness abandon of Peter and Ace - the original lineup had the best synergy and overal musical outcome.

Disagree? So what....it's only your opinion.....

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ENGINEROOM, you're nuts!!! FREHLEY's solo album is one of my favorite KISS albums. I rank that thing up there with LOVE GUN and some of the others. CARNIVAL OF SOULS...some really great songs and a raw feel. ELDER...again...some crap...but also good tracks like MR. BLACKWELL, A WORLD WITHOUT HEROES, DARK LIGHT, ONLY YOU...and some of Ace's best work. And don't badmouth NIRVANA, bitch!

MEZ, VINNIE...I like UNMASKED. I think it's horribly overproduced, EASY AS IT SEEMS is one of the worst songs they ever did...but songs like TORPEDO GIRL, TWO SIDES OF THE COIN, IS THAT YOU, NAKED CITY, SHE'S SO EUROPEAN are all decent or good songs. Basically, though, UNMASKED takes everything that makes DYNASTY one of the band's best albums and overschlocks it.

Anyway, worst four...

4. HOT IN THE SHADE - Some of this album is unlistenable, uncreative and uncommercial, all at the same time. If one likes ballads, well then yes, FOREVER is a good one. It's certainly better than any Sammy Hagar ballad. RISE TO IT, HIDE YOUR HEART...pieces of putrid shit. LITTLE CAESAR is junk...sorry, Eric. Really, the one standout on this whole CD for me is CADILLAC DREAMS. I really like that tune. It has a good groove and actual personal lyrics. Good tune on an overproduced AND underproduced record that is a total mess.

3. GENE SIMMONS (Solo Album) - I just purchased this piece of shit recently. It was the last thing the band ever had anything to do with that I didn't own. I don't know why I kept putting it off...but now I wish I put it off longer. There are a couple of moments here for me...RADIOACTIVE (though it's better live on the DYNASTY tour...check out Largo '79). Thing is, I actually love Ace's album and somewhat enjoy Paul's. And even Gene's new album had a few good songs...not a good album, but better than this one. Basically, this is a very bad album...over-indulgent, cheesy production...a lot of crap (though for some reason, I kind of enjoy WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR). That said, it has nothing on the horrors of...

2. PETER CRISS (Solo Album) - I remember purchasing this on CD (again, I didn't get into KISS until my teens and I didn't hear a lot of these albums initially). This is absolute shit. Fucking horrible. I like Peter's drumming...his sound fits with KISS. He may not have the chops that both Erics have/had, but his raw sound and rat-tat snare-sound really compliment those distorted guitars and sexually-crazed vocals. But this album...it is as much KISS as Kirk Hammett recording a polka album would be Metallica. In other words, there is no reason any KISS fan needs to own this unless he genuinely enjoys awful music. I remember purchasing it with a few of my friends...we got back to my pad to listen to the CDs that we had just purchased...and I put this album in. I put in the opening notes of YOU MATTER TO ME (the song I remembered was the single from this record). The cheddar-laced keyboard riff and disco beats started in, and my friends all looked at me wide-eyed and then started laughing their fucking asses off! "What kind of shit did you spend $10 on??" I hung my head in shame. Thanks Peter.

1. CRAZY NIGHTS - This is the worst thing in their catalogue. I hate it. I hate every moment on it. I do not like one song, one solo, one riff, one drumbeat...and that keyboard! AHHH!! This is nauseating music. Amazing to think that ten years earlier that year they released LOVE GUN and ALIVE II. Is this musical progression? And you have to remember...I am one of those KISS fans that really enjoys LICK IT UP and ANIMALIZE. I even like a few of the songs on ASYLUM. But this? This is where they DESERVED to lose every fan they had. They're lucky they didn't.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

IN ROTH WE TRUST
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ENGINEROOM, you're nuts!!! FREHLEY's solo album is one of my favorite KISS albums. I rank that thing up there with LOVE GUN and some of the others. CARNIVAL OF SOULS...some really great songs and a raw feel. ELDER...again...some crap...but also good tracks like MR. BLACKWELL, A WORLD WITHOUT HEROES, DARK LIGHT, ONLY YOU...and some of Ace's best work. And don't badmouth NIRVANA, bitch!

MEZ, VINNIE...I like UNMASKED. I think it's horribly overproduced, EASY AS IT SEEMS is one of the worst songs they ever did...but songs like TORPEDO GIRL, TWO SIDES OF THE COIN, IS THAT YOU, NAKED CITY, SHE'S SO EUROPEAN are all decent or good songs. Basically, though, UNMASKED takes everything that makes DYNASTY one of the band's best albums and overschlocks it.

Anyway, worst four...

4. HOT IN THE SHADE - Some of this album is unlistenable, uncreative and uncommercial, all at the same time. If one likes ballads, well then yes, FOREVER is a good one. It's certainly better than any Sammy Hagar ballad. RISE TO IT, HIDE YOUR HEART...pieces of putrid shit. LITTLE CAESAR is junk...sorry, Eric. Really, the one standout on this whole CD for me is CADILLAC DREAMS. I really like that tune. It has a good groove and actual personal lyrics. Good tune on an overproduced AND underproduced record that is a total mess.

3. GENE SIMMONS (Solo Album) - I just purchased this piece of shit recently. It was the last thing the band ever had anything to do with that I didn't own. I don't know why I kept putting it off...but now I wish I put it off longer. There are a couple of moments here for me...RADIOACTIVE (though it's better live on the DYNASTY tour...check out Largo '79). Thing is, I actually love Ace's album and somewhat enjoy Paul's. And even Gene's new album had a few good songs...not a good album, but better than this one. Basically, this is a very bad album...over-indulgent, cheesy production...a lot of crap (though for some reason, I kind of enjoy WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR). That said, it has nothing on the horrors of...

2. PETER CRISS (Solo Album) - I remember purchasing this on CD (again, I didn't get into KISS until my teens and I didn't hear a lot of these albums initially). This is absolute shit. Fucking horrible. I like Peter's drumming...his sound fits with KISS. He may not have the chops that both Erics have/had, but his raw sound and rat-tat snare-sound really compliment those distorted guitars and sexually-crazed vocals. But this album...it is as much KISS as Kirk Hammett recording a polka album would be Metallica. In other words, there is no reason any KISS fan needs to own this unless he genuinely enjoys awful music. I remember purchasing it with a few of my friends...we got back to my pad to listen to the CDs that we had just purchased...and I put this album in. I put in the opening notes of YOU MATTER TO ME (the song I remembered was the single from this record). The cheddar-laced keyboard riff and disco beats started in, and my friends all looked at me wide-eyed and then started laughing their fucking asses off! "What kind of shit did you spend $10 on??" I hung my head in shame. Thanks Peter.

CRAZY NIGHTS - This is the worst thing in their catalogue. I hate it. I hate every moment on it. I do not like one song, one solo, one riff, one drumbeat...and that keyboard! AHHH!! This is nauseating music. Amazing to think that ten years earlier that year they released LOVE GUN and ALIVE II. Is this musical progression? And you have to remember...I am one of those KISS fans that really enjoys LICK IT UP and ANIMALIZE. I even like a few of the songs on ASYLUM. But this? This is where they DESERVED to lose every fan they had. They're lucky they didn't.
    Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.
    "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Rikk
    Respectable opinion, although I disagree. While Elder did have it's moments, I only liked a few songs.

...and as far as Ace's solo goes....let's dissect and be specific....

1) New York Groove - but that's a cover - so although he did a great cover, it's not his lyrics

2) I'm In Need Of Love - No buts ifs or ands - a GREAT song!

3) Fractured Mirror - All Ace's guitar and none of his lyrics - AMAZING!!!

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I`m going to find this hard as Kiss are one of my favourite bands and have been for twenty years and I have a lot of good memories of all their albums.

And twenty years ago was 1985, the year of "Asylum", and I`ve always had a soft spot for that album.

And I don`t care what anyone says, "Unmasked" is great.

Here goes:

4) "ANIMALIZE" : I find this album really poor. Paul Stanley is clearly in charge here and is the only original band member working full time and it shows. Add to that Mark St John, easily the worst guitar player Kiss ever had. Three or four good songs do not a classic make.

3) "CRAZY NIGHTS" : "Crazy, crazy nights" may have disappeared up its own ass in America, but here in Britain it was a top ten hit. However, some good songs are badly let down by Ron Nevison`s cold production and it`s a chore even thinking about listening to this.

2) "PAUL STANLEY" : I don`t care for this much at all. At least the other guys branched out and did something a bit different. Paul Stanley showed no imagination by churning out a bunch of B-list Kiss songs that perhaps only one or two would have been good enough for a Kiss group album.

1) "PSYCHO CIRCUS" : Having waited so long for the original band to get back together we should have all known it would be crap. "I pledge allegiance to the state of rock n roll" is probably the stupidest song title ever. I don`t care how many songs off this Kiss play in concert or compile on boxsets, they will never convince me that "Psycho circus" was a good idea. The bait-and-switch "who played what" debate just soured things more for me. If all they`ve got left is shit like this, i hope they never record another album.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sitting on a park bench!

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There are NO KISS albums that suck. But if you want four that aren't as good as the others....

4. Carnival of Souls- Simply not KISS. Released after the reunion to cash in on an album that was (supposedly) recorded before Peter and Ace were brought back.

3. Peter Criss- This was the worst of the solo albums. (Paul and Ace good, Peter and Gene baaaad)

2. Psycho Circus- KISS not able to recapture the old days, despite the hype. Listenable but not good enough.

1. The Elder- This is simply not KISS. It has too much boring drivel and filler. There was no reason for this album. Their worst, but still better that 90% od the shit being put out today.
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ANYTHING recorded after 1978.......................

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
    Carnival of Souls- Simply not KISS. Released after the reunion to cash in on an album that was (supposedly) recorded before Peter and Ace were brought back.
    It WAS recorded before they were brought back. I had a cassette copy of CARNIVAL OF SOULS in late '95...a boot. Then, when the announcement was made in early '96 for the reunion, I was curious as to what would happen with this new album. And the version I had was almost identical to the one that was released.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes, many people had that cassette, but the rumour has been that it was never an album, so much as a tape of demos. When the boots got out, Gene, ever the businessman, decided to release the supposed "Final sessions".

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes, many people had that cassette, but the rumour has been that it was never an album, so much as a tape of demos. When the boots got out, Gene, ever the businessman, decided to release the supposed "Final sessions".
    That's a finished album. There's a whole write-up in a recent KISS book that includes a ton of descriptions and quotes from both the producer and Bruce Kulick. Those are no demos. In fact, when it was initially leaked onto the internet, it was known very well that that was the last album. And if they were demos as KISS has done before, there would be no reason for all the members to be taking vocals and playing instruments. On almost all previous demos, each guy does all his own instruments or just get a studio band that doesn't involve KISS at all.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't know...who cares? I had always heard the album was not finalized until after the reunion.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Would have to go with:

Animalize

Asylum

Hot In The Shade

Crazy Nights

That whole period from about 1984 to 1990 saw KISS releasing one slab o' shit after another. There was a reason those guys were reduced to playing KISS conventions in the early 1990s.

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled with parts of Dynasty, Unmasked, most of the elder, parts of Creatures of the Night and Lick It Up, either. Essentially, have no use for much that came out after LOVE GUN. Dug Gene's 1978 solo album, think Ace's 1978 solo album ranks up there with KISS' best stuff period. Revenge was a decent return to form.

KISS for me ended in 1979. Don't even have anything that was originally released after Dynasty in my collection anymore. No point to it. Just a bunch of shit taking up space.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I never had it in me to actually play an entire Kiss album.

I have fond memories though of using the records as frisbees!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Sarge's Little Helper
    Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.
    LEARN HOW TO READ, BITCH!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Kermit The Frog
    The 'Kissco' album, the one with 'I was made for loving you', sucked a huge cock
    That's like saying 1984 was a pop album because someone only heard 'Jump'.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Rikk

Rikk,

I actually like Unmasked myself, not all of it, and some of it makes me cringe.

But it got outvoted by other great KISS albums to fall into the '4 worst' list we have here.

The Ace songs rock. Gene's are pretty good too (listen to the original demo for You're All That I Want from the KISS Box Set -- so much better).

Is that You is a good song, as is Shandi, but much of the Paul stuff there is pretty GAY, to say the least (Easy as It Seems, Tommorrow, What Makes the World Go Around.).

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    LEARN HOW TO READ, BITCH!

LOL...never saw somebody flaming sarge's little helper...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    4. Double Platinum – First greatest hits bad idea
    3. Alive TWO – Live? Well at least it’s KISS, except for the studio overdubs and the musicians used on the studio tracks.
    2. Smashes, Thrashes, and Hits – Second greatest hits bad idea
    1. The Box Set – Never reveal your poker hand & leave your facts to “lore” if you’re the “HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD”

As for the rest, you are what you record. For better or worse. The reality of KISS would make most people cringe. The marketed KISS makes me want “ROCK AND ROLL ALL NIGHT AND PAW-TY EV-RY DAY”

A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by jacksmar
    4. Double Platinum – First greatest hits bad idea
    3. Alive TWO – Live? Well at least it’s KISS, except for the studio overdubs and the musicians used on the studio tracks.
    2. Smashes, Thrashes, and Hits – Second greatest hits bad idea
    1. The Box Set – Never reveal your poker hand & leave your facts to “lore” if you’re the “HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD”

As for the rest, you are what you record. For better or worse. The reality of KISS would make most people cringe. The marketed KISS makes me want “ROCK AND ROLL ALL NIGHT AND PAW-TY EV-RY DAY”

Oh c'mon. I tell people who are intrested in early KISS, that if they buy Double Platinum, they don't need to buy anything else. There's nothing wrong with it.

The Box set is a gem! Anyone who actually followed KISS knew that the "band" was never as it seemed. Lots of occasions where Peter and Ace were not there. Paul and Gene doing it themselves or using session guys. They weren't telling us anythng we didn't know already. The box set is filled with rare tracks and never before heard stuff. It's great!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Box set is a gem! Anyone who actually followed KISS knew that the "band" was never as it seemed. Lots of occasions where Peter and Ace were not there. Paul and Gene doing it themselves or using session guys. They weren't telling us anythng we didn't know already. The box set is filled with rare tracks and never before heard stuff. It's great!
    The Box set is actually really good.

However, I wanted some DVD stuff in there like Priest did for their Metalogy set.

But the KISS one is good.

Let's not forget, Gene doesn't play a whole lot of bass on either Animalize or Asylum. I don't think he plays at all on Animalize.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    1. HITS- Havent had the urge to play this in over a decade.......and never will again.

2. Crazy Nights- Nuff said.......

3. Unmasked- Pop drivel. Next.

4. Asylum..........I don't HATE it, but it's near the bottom.........

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh c'mon. I tell people who are intrested in early KISS, that if they buy Double Platinum, they don't need to buy anything else. There's nothing wrong with it.

After 77' Gene hardly EVER played bass on record. Dynasty, for example, saw Ace and Paul playing bass on their tracks..........

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Terry
    Yeah, I'm not too thrilled with parts of Dynasty, Unmasked, most of the elder, parts of Creatures of the Night and Lick It Up, either. Essentially, have no use for much that came out after LOVE GUN. Dug Gene's 1978 solo album, think Ace's 1978 solo album ranks up there with KISS' best stuff period. Revenge was a decent return to form.

KISS for me ended in 1979. Don't even have anything that was originally released after Dynasty in my collection anymore. No point to it. Just a bunch of shit taking up space.

I can agree with you regarding 1979 onward but.....Creatures???

That was one of the best all time 'comeback' albums. The entire album screams 'Heavy Metal', most notably Eric Carr's 'Wall Of Sound' type of Bonham drumming.....

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom

That was one of the best all time 'comeback' albums. The entire album screams 'Heavy Metal', most notably Eric Carr's 'Wall Of Sound' type of Bonham drumming.....
    True true.

To me, Creatures is probably the best Non-Ace/Peter album.

It was a great comeback as far as the album went.

But as far as record sales and the tour, it was a dud.

Save for the Brazil shows (the last in makeup until '96) where they played to about 200,000 people.

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why didn`t the box set have more from the aborted "Crimes of passion" album supposedly recorded circa "Crazy nights" - "HITS"?

There must be a bunch of unreleased 80`s Kiss.

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    True true.

To me, Creatures is probably the best Non-Ace/Peter album.

It was a great comeback as far as the album went.
    It IS the best Non-ACE/PETER album.

My guess is that it was Eric's tribute to Bonzo, that tragically died that same year.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "Creatures" is probably the KISS album that I always overlook, but not because it's not good. I always kind of associate it with an era that had the original band officially done- (even if Ace's face appeared on the album cover. )

But on the whole, the album was really well done and pretty godamn heavy. Along with Lick it Up, I pull this platter out quite a bit when I need a dose of nostalgia for my high school days.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was the kid who's whole room was cover with KISS posters. Then this little band called Van Halen broke onto the scene in 1978. I quickly forgot about KISS. I still like KISS but yeah, it's got to be pre 1978 stuff. Give me Rock and Roll Over, Love Gun, the Alive Albums.

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "Creatures" is probably the KISS album that I always overlook...
    Creatures is the CD I listen to the most.

Mezro...it is my favorite KISS CD ever...BTW...if you pick up a copy of the original vinyl, the drums are even heavier in the mix...years later when George Marino (sp?) remastered the calalog he turned the drums down a notch...not fucking sure why...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom

Had said 'parts of Creatures'. Not trying to split hairs, but rather qualify:some tracks totally rocked, and there are a few tracks that lay to waste entire albums such as Unmasked, The Elder and Lick It Up, which are the releases that were released during/around the Creatures period. Can't say that I dig the thing from start to finish, though. Was probably Carr's best reccorded work with KISS, but I'm biased because I'm a traditionalist where KISS is concerned. Kinda close-minded of me, but if it's not Ace, Peter, Gene and Paul, I don't consider it KISS. It becomes something else. Carr was really underused in that band as far as what wound up on record, no doubt.

Creatures WAS probably one of the better non-Ace/Peter KISS releases, up there with Revenge, definitely agreed.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In terms of "Creatures" and KISS, one thing I have never liked is that Paul will always do "I Still Love You" in concert to this day. It just brings down the whole show, even if it's not a terrible song.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In terms of "Creatures" and KISS, one thing I have never liked is that Paul will always do "I Still Love You" in concert to this day. It just brings down the whole show, even if it's not a terrible song.
    One thing that gets overlooked with Creatures was that the North American tour (82-83) was probably KISS' biggest flop of a tour ever.

Half empty arenas, cancelled shows because of poor ticket sales.

There is a story that DLR himself attended a KISS show in late 1982. Van Halen were scheduled to play the next night as part of the Diver Down tour. There, as KISS barely filled the seats, Dave was backstage cracking jokes about it. Hilarious!

Anyhow, Creatures is a great album, however it only went Gold and the tour stunk.

With the exception of the Brazil shows (200,000 in attendance!)

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One thing that gets overlooked with Creatures was that the North American tour (82-83) was probably KISS' biggest flop of a tour ever.
    Mezro...always thought the Revenge tour stunk it up more than Creatures...

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hot in the Shade - I thought it was OK at the time, but anything that followed Crazy Night was going to sound like Led Zeppelin II. I like Rise To It, and was pretty jacked when they played the video and Gene and Paul put the makeup back on.

Crazy Nights - I bought this on cassette when it first came out. I lost it in a poker game a year later and never bothered to get it back. What a bullshit album this was.

Psycho Circus - Reunion album my asscheeks. What a bunch of crap this was. Formulaic anthem rock at its worst.

Carnival of Souls - So bad I didn't even buy a copy.

For the record, I dig the Peter Criss album. Yeah, it's weak and poppy compared to a regular Kiss album but so what? I dig the vibe and I think most of the songs are good.

Unmasked is OK, but it's basically Dynasty lite. Torpedo Girl is a cool song that could've benefitted from beefier production. I know I shouldn't like this album but I do.

Animalize and Asylum are so-so, but I can think of a handful of songs on both that I really like.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nitro Express
    I was the kid who's whole room was cover with KISS posters. Then this little band called Van Halen broke onto the scene in 1978. I quickly forgot about KISS. I still like KISS but yeah, it's got to be pre 1978 stuff. Give me Rock and Roll Over, Love Gun, the Alive Albums.
    lol...exactly "my way"!

Thread Information