Thanks

Rita Survivors In Texas Living Like "Cavemen"

Another heck of a job!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...1434-rita.html

Rita victims are living 'like cavemen' in wake of storm
    By Abe Levy
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

2:34 p.m. September 27, 2005

PORT ARTHUR, Texas – Nearly four days after Hurricane Rita hit, many of the storm's sweltering victims along the Texas Gulf Coast were still waiting for electricity, gasoline, water and other relief Tuesday, prompting one top emergency official to complain that people are "living like cavemen."

In the hard-hit refinery towns of Port Arthur and Beaumont, crews struggled to cross debris-clogged streets to deliver generators and water to people stranded by Rita. They predicted it could be a month before power is restored, and said water and sewer systems could not function until more generators arrived.

Red tape was also blamed for the delays.

Port Arthur Mayor Oscar Ortiz, whose own home was destroyed by fire after the hurricane, said "we've had 101 promises" for aid, "but it's all bureaucracy."

John Owens, emergency management coordinator and deputy police chief in the town of 57,000, said pleas for state and federal relief were met with requests for paperwork.

"We have been living like cavemen, sleeping in cars, doing bodily functions outside," he said.

Temperatures climbed into the upper 90s, and officials worried that swarms of mosquitoes might spread disease.

In Beaumont, officials briefed President Bush, Texas Gov. Rick Perry at his side, on relief efforts. Perry cautioned against criticism.

"There's always going to be those discombobulations, but the fact is, everyone is doing everything possible to restore power back to this area," Perry said.

About 476,000 people remained without electricity in Texas, in addition to around 285,000 in Louisiana. About 15,000 out-of-state utility workers were being brought to the region to help restore power.

Residents of some hard-hit towns were allowed to check on their homes but were not allowed to stay because of a lack of generators and ice.

About 2,000 Port Arthur residents who stayed through the storm were advised to find other places to live until utilities are restored. Ortiz said it could be two weeks before people are allowed back into Port Arthur.

After seeing a swarm of ravenous mosquitoes around his storm-battered home in Vidor, Harry Smith and his family decided to leave. They hitchhiked 10 miles to an emergency staging area and got on a bus to San Antonio.

"It can't be any worse than here," said Smith, 49, a pipefitter. "This is the worst storm I've seen in the 46 years I've lived here."

In Louisiana, Calcasieu Parish Police Jury President Hal McMillin said residents who come back would be without air conditioning, and risk insect bites and the mosquito-borne West Nile virus. A mandatory evacuation remained in effect for 10 southwestern Louisiana parishes.

"There's a good chance we could have an outbreak or something," McMillin said.

There were some signs of hope. In Orange, people converged in cars and trucks outside a shopping strip for water, food and ice supplied by the private disaster group the Compassion Alliance.

"I know it's going to take some time, but we really appreciate this," Dorothy Landry, 66, said after waiting in the line. "I can't thank them enough."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Rita and Katrina have been huge ass disasters. I don't think people realize what it takes to get a whole power grid going after it's tottaly been destroyed. It doesn't happen overnight. I always maintained that's why organizations like the Boy Scouts are good. It teaches people some survival skills and to be prepared. Hey, we learned how to make a latrine, sterilize water, how to eat off the land when I was in scouts. Living like caveman? No, ancient man would be making a latrine and making shelter out of what was available, hunting and eating what was available, not sitting around hoping FEMA was going to save them.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-30-2017 @ 02:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    Rita and Katrina have been huge ass disasters. I don't think people realize what it takes to get a whole power grid going after it's tottaly been destroyed. It doesn't happen overnight. I always maintained that's why organizations like the Boy Scouts are good. It teaches people some survival skills and to be prepared. Hey, we learned how to make a latrine, sterilize water, how to eat off the land when I was in scouts. Living like caveman? No, ancient man would be making a latrine and making shelter out of what was available, hunting and eating what was available, not sitting around hoping FEMA was going to save them.
    So fuck 'em! Those lazy bastards need to get out and do something for themselves! How dare taxpayers expect any help from the government? And get those private disaster groups that somehow made it to those lazy fuckers out of there!

"Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?" –House Majority Leader Tom Delay (R-TX), to three young hurricane evacuees from New Orleans at the Astrodome in Houston, Sept. 9, 2005

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Cavemen didn't sleep in cars...

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-21-2010 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Cry baby KC gets knocked out every year with ICE STORMS power out for weeks in 50% of the city.Cry, i got know sympathy,fuk in pussys.

Try that sh@t in 2 degree weather !!! Im pissed This news is BS !

Oh yeah, Trees fallin all over the place mite as well be a hurricane in
    Sub Zero conditions PLLEEAASSeee!

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This aint fun i happends almost ever year.

Medium Pimpin
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    03-10-2013 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Its the south guys. Proves one thing to me. They don't live like they're from the south. Maybe its been to long since the last time they heard "A Country Boy Can Survive"! Lazy fuckers. I've been without power and water after a hurricane or 3. Never once whined about it. Florida in the dead of summer when the temp is 95 degrees on a cool day with 99% humidity is a hellova lot different than 95 degrees with 25 or even 50% humidity. You can't stay cool even if you're layin still. The humidity makes everything sticky and wet.
    Ole Bocephus is gonna be very disappointed when he hears all the whinin...

"Country Boy Can Survive"
    The preacher man says it's the end of time and the Mississippi River she's a goin' dry
    The interest is up and the stock market's down
    And you only get mugged if you go down town
    I live back in the woods you see my woman and the kids and the dogs and me
    I've got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive
    And a country boy can survive country folks can survive
    I can plow a field all day long I can catch catfish from dusk till dawn
    We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too
    Ain't too many things these old boys can't do
    We grow good tomatoes and homemade wine
    Because you can't starve us out and you can't make us run
    Cause we're them ole boys raised on shotguns
    We say grace and we say mamm if you ain't into that we don't give a damn

We come from West Virginia coal mines
    And the Rocky Mountains and the western skies
    And we can skin a buck we can run a trot line
    I had a good friend in New York City he never called me by my name just hillbilly
    My grandpa taught me how to live off the land and his taught him to be a business man
    He used to send me pictures of the broadway nights I'd send him some homemade wine
    But he was killed by a man with a switchblade knife
    For forty three dollars my friend lost his life
    I'd like to spit some beechnut in that dude's eyes and shoot him with my old 45
    Cause a country boy can survive country folks can survive
    Because you can't starve us out...

We're North California and South Alabama and little towns all around this land
    And we can skin a buck and run a trot line
    A country boy can survive country folks can survive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Survival

Even in the worst of times we got it better than folks
    did a hundred years ago.Its all hyped out by certain
    pantie in a wad sissies who hate bush and prey on
    peoples fears.

Here is another beauty and that aint water on the street 2 in ice.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    I live where we can get six feet of snow or more and the tempuratures can stay below zero for days. Once I remember cross country skiing 5 miles each way to go to the store to pick some things up because we were snowed in and the snowmobile wouldn't start.

Thread Information