Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The Official Aerosmith Thread

ok I Love Aerosmith, They were my first real rock band I discovered, Without Them I would have never Discovered THE MIGHTY CLASSIC VAN HALEN!!!!. Why Am I starting an Aerosmith thread you ask? Because DB's Sig KICKS FUCKING ASS!, And It Helped me Inspire this thread.

So Enjoy!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 11:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Aerosmith are one of the greatest bands of all time in my mind.they have been around since 1970 and are still going i am yet to hear a bad song.Steve Tyler is in terms of frontmen way up there with DLR.

My fav aerosmith song is Rag Doll.that song just oozez Funk
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    For more than 30 years, Aerosmith has defined American Rock and Roll. Just a brief overview of their remarkable career is truly mind-boggling: over 100 million albums sold, countless awards (Grammy's, American Music Awards, Billboard Awards, MTV Awards), and a diehard fan-base in the millions worldwide. As the band embarks on yet another world tour to support their 25th release Honkin' On Bobo, they remain creatively vital, and are the platinum standard for artistic and commercial success in the music business. Through it all they have defeated the odds, silenced their critics and have undeniably withstood the test of time.

It began almost by chance back in 1969, in of all places, Sunapee, NH. Drummer/singer, Steven Tyler, then fronting a NYC band called Chain Reaction, dropped into the local dive, a club called the Barn to check out The Jam Band featuring guitarist Joe Perry and bassist Tom Hamilton. Steven was blown away; "The energy was just so intense. I looked and it was like Joe Perry was the electric guitar. If I can put that energy together with something that my father gave me, that classical influence, we might have something." By the next year, the three had joined forces. They recruited Tyler's old Yonkers buddy, drummer Joey Kramer, and christened the new band; Aerosmith, though one key slot remained open. Brad Whitford was a talented young guitarist from the Boston area who seemed destined to round out the Aerosmith line up. "The first time I played with Brad, it just seemed to work." says Joe Perry. "The Chemistry was right."

Brad climbed aboard, and with the legendary line up now in place, the quintet soon set to work establishing their reputation for fiery live shows and bad behavior. Sharing an apartment in Boston at 1325 Commonwealth Ave, the band lived and breathed their music. It was a time when the only sure things in life were the threat of eviction and their shared determination to rock the world. But as their reputation grew, it seemed only a matter of time.

Their time came in 1972 in NYC, the night the band played the legendary Max's Kansas City Club. In the audience that night was the famed record exec. Clive Davis himself, who was so impressed with Aerosmith that he signed them to Columbia Records on the spot. Remembers Tyler "After the show, Clive Davis put his arm around me, gave me a little squeeze and said, (as immortalized in the Aerosmith song No Surprize) 'Steven, you're gonna be a big star.'" They soon released their debut self-titled album, Aerosmith, and took to the road to spread the word, and spread they did. They toured relentlessly over the next two years, taking time off only to record their follow up LP, Get Your Wings, which went Gold. Aerosmith was on their way, it seemed as though nothing could stop them.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The Legend

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    they have what 26 cd's in total or something like that,thats amazing

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Get Your Wings and Rocks are grate records.

Right In The Nuts is a little underrated.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Have always dug Aerosmith's stuff all the way up to and including Done With Mirrors. For some reason, Rock In A Hard place gets blasted by both the band and the critics, but that has some great stuff on it (Jailbait, Bolivian Ragamuffin). Saw them in 1984 on the Back In The Saddle tour. Tyler was guzzling Heiniken throughout the show and spitting all over the stage as he did his mikestand shuffle. The band was kinda uneven back then, and after they cleaned up they displayed a lot more consistency live. Perry did a version of Red House that was a little overlong and kinda boring.

Starting with that RUN DMC biz, can't really say I've been a huge fan of what they've been doing. Perm Vaca had some good stuff on it, but some real fluff (Angel). Seems like every band was borrowing a page from Motley Crues Home Sweet Home and the Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet phenom, even seasoned bands like KISS and Aerosmith, who should have known better.

Think PUMP was just a tremendous album. That thing kicked off with Young Lust and F*I*N*E, which is just a killer one-two punch. rest of the album held up pretty well.

Sad to say, Pump was really the last one I've dug from start to finish. Didn't really care for Get A Grip. Nine Lives had a few good tracks. There's definitely a sameness to Aerosmith's stuff post-Pump that leaves me with a ho-hum feeling.

Saw Smith performing at the first game of the NFL season a few years back (not talking about their Superbowl appearances here), and they did a version of Back In The Saddle that sounded really good. I'd be willing to bet they put on a good live show nowadays, but haven't really had any use for what they've recorded since 1989.

Saw Tyler in Ronald Reagan airport in 2002 during a layover between early morning flights in the early part of the week. He was standing in line to buy a bagel, wearing snakeskin leather pants and a jacket that looked like an amazing technicolor raincoat knock-off. The funny thing is, nobody noticed him at first. He was in the middle of this line, and even if nobody recognized him, just the clothes he was wearing would make you look twice. My wife and I were at the next counter over, and I nudged her,saying "There's Steven Tyler". He had this huge wad of crumpled bills in his hand and kept staring at the price board with this puzzled look on his face. Eventually, the cashier leaned over and plucked a few bills out of his hand. As he grabbed his bagel, people started to recognize who he was. A couple of bodyguards who had been standing aside while he was in line came over and flanked him. He signed a few autographs, than split to catch his flight.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

NIGHT IN THE RUTS...great fucking record.

THREE MILE SMILE...that is some groovy funk.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-21-2010 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by rustoffa
    Get Your Wings and Rocks are grate records.

Right In The Nuts is a little underrated.
    Nice sig man, don't do as i do do as i say. Glue sniffin jus crazy...lol

I remember flippin over Rite in the Nuts on the back was written Nite in the Ruts. crack me up! Great album

I also remember after they got back together After Run -DMC.

I saw a pic or vid? of steven in front of a desk w sheets of paper everywhere with
    lyrics written on them and he was saying even though we weren't playing together
    i've been writing music as tho We would play together again.

I just thought thats why they are successful Unlike ed in Van Halen.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by thome
    Nice sig man, don't do as i do do as i say. Glue sniffin jus crazy...lol

I remember flippin over Rite in the Nuts on the back was written Nite in the Ruts. crack me up! Great album

I also remember after they got back together After Run -DMC.

I saw a pic or vid? of steven in front of a desk w sheets of paper everywhere with
    lyrics written on them and he was saying even though we weren't playing together
    i've been writing music as tho We would play together again.

I just thought thats why they are successful Unlike ed in Van Halen.
    Remember that cover of "Walkin' In The Sand" or whatever it's called on 'Right In The Nuts?'

I broke up with this girl that I fucked on a parked© sailboat. She was one of those mental types.

Anyway, as luck would have it she stopped by one afternoon with the look of grudgefuck™ in her eyes.

THAT FUCKING SONG WAS PLAYING ON MY PANASONIC STEREO!

Dude, she went fucking crazy...like accusing me of having the music time-realeased or some shit. She threw this clay pot plant thing through my neighbors' car window and said my car was a piece of shit.

Fuck, fuck that album now that I think about it.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-21-2010 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I lived with that girl for years!! Fuk that album come to think of it.

Jus kidding that song has a cool vibe one the radio stations havn't worn out.

I saw Aerosmith like a jillion times in KC they must have played KC
    4 times a year always a smokin show pussy wall to wall.

Sheep Pen Pack Rat
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2015 @ 03:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Aerosmith are great.

I never get, that most people don´t like

Pump and Get A Grip.

I think both albums are fantastic.

Aerosmith nowadays

By Nine Lifes i quit listening.

In touch w/ feminine side
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 08:35 PM
    Sometimes I get the menstrual cramps real hard
    Status
    Thanks

Nine Lives is a great album. I think a lot of people dismissed it too quickly. There are some rockers on that one. Good songwriting, too. I guess I am mostly drawn to the guitar tones on that record, though. Fucking outstanding!

My favorite song is "Back In The Saddle".

Rock n' Roll Junkie
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-11-2007 @ 02:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I love Old school Aerosmith...they were really something back then. Tyler was one hell of a frontman and the rest of the band was great too. I too stopped listening when NINE LIVES came out....since then they need to just stop recording. JUST PUSH PLAY was horrible. I will say this though...that Blues album they came out with...forgot the name...THAT is a good listen. I wish these groups would just stick with their roots ya know?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Aerosmith was the best rock band in America before Van Halen came along. Everything they did in the 70's was classic, except maybe "Night In The Ruts". They were falling apart and it showed.

The album with the scab guitarists? Haven't heard it in years, don't care if I hear it again.

Done with Mirrors - The return of Aerosmith. I love this record, and I don't know why it's so criminally underrated in favor of the crap that followed.

Then came the decline - Permanent Vacation & Pump were passable albums in the Def Leppard/Bon Jovi pop-rock sense, but weren't up to the standards of the true Aerosmith by any means.

Everything after that - crap. Just complete shit. Most of it written by the same corporate slime who write songs for Michael Bolton & Celine Dion. Fucking embarrassment to the name Aerosmith, and to the fans that supported them since 1973. And yes I still have my vinyl copy of the first album to prove it.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Terry
    Have always dug Aerosmith's stuff all the way up to and including Done With Mirrors. For some reason, Rock In A Hard place gets blasted by both the band and the critics, but that has some great stuff on it (Jailbait, Bolivian Ragamuffin). Saw them in 1984 on the Back In The Saddle tour. Tyler was guzzling Heiniken throughout the show and spitting all over the stage as he did his mikestand shuffle. The band was kinda uneven back then, and after they cleaned up they displayed a lot more consistency live. Perry did a version of Red House that was a little overlong and kinda boring.

Starting with that RUN DMC biz, can't really say I've been a huge fan of what they've been doing. Perm Vaca had some good stuff on it, but some real fluff (Angel). Seems like every band was borrowing a page from Motley Crues Home Sweet Home and the Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet phenom, even seasoned bands like KISS and Aerosmith, who should have known better.

Think PUMP was just a tremendous album. That thing kicked off with Young Lust and F*I*N*E, which is just a killer one-two punch. rest of the album held up pretty well.

Sad to say, Pump was really the last one I've dug from start to finish. Didn't really care for Get A Grip. Nine Lives had a few good tracks. There's definitely a sameness to Aerosmith's stuff post-Pump that leaves me with a ho-hum feeling.
    Agreed Terry (F*I*N*E* is killer, "EMHO Woody line is great!). I like Rock in a Hard Place, even with the replacements they dug up. Also liked Night in the Ruts (Agree Rikk, big time).

Anything after Get a Grip (which I only like 2 or 3 songs maybe on it) isn't of interest to me although the Blues album like DD said might be worth a listen.

Get Your Wings, Rocks ... all good shit. And like Ford said, Done With Mirrors was an excellent album I thought. They redid Joe Perry's "Let the Music DO the Talkin'" from his solo effort and I thought it sounded great.
    Last edited by ALinChainz; 09-28-2005 at 02:48 PM.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Roy Munson
    Nine Lives is a great album. I think a lot of people dismissed it too quickly. There are some rockers on that one. Good songwriting, too. I guess I am mostly drawn to the guitar tones on that record, though. Fucking outstanding!
    I agree. Even a couple of ballads rock, especially "Ain't that a bitch" which is a great, great track IMO.

I have all their records, safe three of them. The first three rule, no doubt, "Rocks" is my fave from the 70s, "My fist your face" is my fave track from the 80s (could have been "Heart's done time" for the intro, but the chorus wastes it all...), and "Pump" my fave album from that period.
    "Grip" was bashed for its MTV-oriented ballads, but hey! You can always press "skip"... Apart from those pussy ballads, the rocks are kickass and majoritary, arent they?

Sure it won't ever be like yesterday, anyway, so you have to take their new releases for what they are... Think of how many "dinosaurs" are in that case... Whatever they put out, it's like an extra mile...

Rock n' Roll Junkie
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-11-2007 @ 02:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Did anyone like JUST PUSH PLAY? I just didnt get it. To be honest..when they did that superbowl concert crap with Brittney and Justin...that was the moment they got their Rock n Roll card pulled. That was embarassing..

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Dirty Duck
    Did anyone like JUST PUSH PLAY? I just didnt get it. To be honest..when they did that superbowl concert crap with Brittney and Justin...that was the moment they got their Rock n Roll card pulled. That was embarassing..
    I did. A disappointing album, but there are a few tracks that make it, with very cool riffs. The flame is fading, anyway.
    "Just push play" is worth it, only for a few songs, that is it's not really worth it properly speaking...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Done With Mirrors was miles above what followed it, agreed, although I still think Pump was their last solid effort.

Night In The Ruts had some great stuff on it, agreed. Chiquita rocked.

Shit, even their version of Come Together in that abysmal Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band movie was better than that Don't Wanna Miss A Thing/Armageddon crap, and Steve and the boys were gacked out of their minds when they did the Peppers track.

But I do remember their Unplugged appearance in the early 1990s, and they were shit-hot on that. Their records post-1985 often left something to be desires, but from what I've seen on tv, their live stuff is still pretty solid.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    07-30-2012 @ 08:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Absolutely love classic Aerosmith. I can listen (and love) everything up to "DONE WITH MIRRORS".
    To me, thats the last true rockin' Aerosmith record and its a shame that more people don't know about it.

I have stayed clear of everything since except I will admit to liking "HONKING ON BOBO" because at least it sounds like a real band again, you can hear Hamilton & Whitford again and they havedone away with all the synths & layered background vocals.

Have to admit that I am also a big fan of Joe's solo work and in fact consider his debut solo album "LET THE MUSIC DO THE TALKING" just as good if not better than many Aerosmith albums!

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-23-2016 @ 08:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

yeah, i have all aersmith on cd, im listening to Jig Is Up off of rock in a hard place, not original band members but still a cool tune

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by VonHalen
    yeah, i have all aersmith on cd, im listening to Jig Is Up off of rock in a hard place, not original band members but still a cool tune
    wait do you have all the aerosmith cd's???

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-23-2016 @ 08:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

yes i do

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-10-2008 @ 11:35 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by FORD
    Aerosmith was the best rock band in America before Van Halen came along. Everything they did in the 70's was classic, except maybe "Night In The Ruts". They were falling apart and it showed.

The album with the scab guitarists? Haven't heard it in years, don't care if I hear it again.

Done with Mirrors - The return of Aerosmith. I love this record, and I don't know why it's so criminally underrated in favor of the crap that followed.

Then came the decline - Permanent Vacation & Pump were passable albums in the Def Leppard/Bon Jovi pop-rock sense, but weren't up to the standards of the true Aerosmith by any means.

Everything after that - crap. Just complete shit. Most of it written by the same corporate slime who write songs for Michael Bolton & Celine Dion. Fucking embarrassment to the name Aerosmith, and to the fans that supported them since 1973. And yes I still have my vinyl copy of the first album to prove it.
    Gotta agree with you.

I guess they had to commercialize their product to get radio and MTV play, but I don't care for anything after Done With Mirrors.

Compared to early stuff like their first album or Rocks, which was great raw rock-n-roll, the newer albums seem a little too polished and overproduced, with too much poppy, lightweight crap.

Remind you of another band?

Oh yeah, I still have my vinyl too.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2020 @ 06:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Great band Liked most of there stuff. I first saw them at the world Series of Rock at the old Cleveland Brown Stadium. In 1979.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-24-2022 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Official Reply

Aerosmith was my fave band in high school and beyond, Steven Tyler was my Higher Power.
    Fave tracks:
    Aerosmith - Dream On, Movin' Out
    Wings - Same Old..., Lord of the Thighs
    Toys - Sweet Emotion
    Rocks - Back in the Saddle, Last Child. Sick as a Dog
    Draw The Line - Sight For Sore Eyes, Milk Cow Blues
    Ruts - Cheese Cake, No Surprize
    Hard Place - Lightning Strikes, Bitches Brew

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-15-2024 @ 07:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Great band still live. When they play anyway. Listen too Toys In The Attic from the dvd You Gotta Move and it really doesn't get much better than that. Funny I was just listening to a double cd today of the old albums I made. The original grunge band !! I liked Vacation & some of Pump. They lost me after that. What is Tyler ? 68. Crazy. Joe is a good player. Great riffer like Page. Brad is awesome.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Will they ever play together again is the question ? I would like to see them one last time. It's been since 87. My kid loves Idol with Tyler on it. I walk by or watch a little sometimes and he has some good one liners !! Typical frontman mind !!
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 12-31-2011 at 11:24 PM.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    New album this year.Any takers?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    New album this year.Any takers?
    No !! But maybe live to hear the old shit. They do more of it the last few tours.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-24-2015 @ 06:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Isn't Steven Tyler on Oprah's new show tonight?

Some cunt changd my name
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2017 @ 03:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

more then a feeling is ther best song.

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-17-2023 @ 11:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LEFTY View Post
    more then a feeling is ther best song.
    Right town, wrong band.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Can't imagine that the new record will be all that great - the last couple have been prety uninspired.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Girl View Post
    Isn't Steven Tyler on Oprah's new show tonight?
    I t hink he is. She says to him "I'm really surprised you're not dead." LMAO

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

This is probably one of the most AWESOME collaborations I've ever seen: Steven Tyler, Alice Cooper, Weird Al and Patrick Simmons from the Doobie Brothers!

38. 2 users say thank you to BITEYOASS for this KICKASS post:

Golden AWe (01-12-2012),GreenBayLA (01-04-2012)

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

I know we got some hardcore Aerosmith fans here. As much as I absolutely love their earlier stuuf, could play it every day, ever since Liv came out and they did movie ballads, I just can't stand em. Anyting since around Janies Got A Gun. Blech.

That's a long way from Back In The Saddle.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The last Aerosmith album i got was Just Push Play.That was an ok album,I really dug Beyond Beautiful.I never did bother with Honkin' on Bobo.Could not justify paying for an album of covers.Come to think of it i am not sure i have even heard anything from that one.Will probably buy the new one,Hopefully i get to see 'em this time round.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-12-2014 @ 11:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 757 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post

This is a good assessment but I just have to add that the decline happened after they sold out to Sony. As lucrative as it was for them it also led to corporate interest interfering with art. It was a shame since they had written great slow songs in the old days, so it would stand to reason that they didn't need song doctors to craft singles or whatever.. Remember You See Me Crying and Home Tonight from the old days? That was proof that slow rock tunes didn't need to be sappy. Even so, there were a couple good hard rock tunes that still made it on the albums.

Thread Information