X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
    Have always dug Aerosmith's stuff all the way up to and including Done With Mirrors. For some reason, Rock In A Hard place gets blasted by both the band and the critics, but that has some great stuff on it (Jailbait, Bolivian Ragamuffin). Saw them in 1984 on the Back In The Saddle tour. Tyler was guzzling Heiniken throughout the show and spitting all over the stage as he did his mikestand shuffle. The band was kinda uneven back then, and after they cleaned up they displayed a lot more consistency live. Perry did a version of Red House that was a little overlong and kinda boring.

Starting with that RUN DMC biz, can't really say I've been a huge fan of what they've been doing. Perm Vaca had some good stuff on it, but some real fluff (Angel). Seems like every band was borrowing a page from Motley Crues Home Sweet Home and the Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet phenom, even seasoned bands like KISS and Aerosmith, who should have known better.

Think PUMP was just a tremendous album. That thing kicked off with Young Lust and F*I*N*E, which is just a killer one-two punch. rest of the album held up pretty well.

Sad to say, Pump was really the last one I've dug from start to finish. Didn't really care for Get A Grip. Nine Lives had a few good tracks. There's definitely a sameness to Aerosmith's stuff post-Pump that leaves me with a ho-hum feeling.
    Agreed Terry (F*I*N*E* is killer, "EMHO Woody line is great!). I like Rock in a Hard Place, even with the replacements they dug up. Also liked Night in the Ruts (Agree Rikk, big time).

Anything after Get a Grip (which I only like 2 or 3 songs maybe on it) isn't of interest to me although the Blues album like DD said might be worth a listen.

Get Your Wings, Rocks ... all good shit. And like Ford said, Done With Mirrors was an excellent album I thought. They redid Joe Perry's "Let the Music DO the Talkin'" from his solo effort and I thought it sounded great.
    Last edited by ALinChainz; 09-28-2005, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Roy Munson
      Nine Lives is a great album. I think a lot of people dismissed it too quickly. There are some rockers on that one. Good songwriting, too. I guess I am mostly drawn to the guitar tones on that record, though. Fucking outstanding!
      I agree. Even a couple of ballads rock, especially "Ain't that a bitch" which is a great, great track IMO.

I have all their records, safe three of them. The first three rule, no doubt, "Rocks" is my fave from the 70s, "My fist your face" is my fave track from the 80s (could have been "Heart's done time" for the intro, but the chorus wastes it all...), and "Pump" my fave album from that period.
      "Grip" was bashed for its MTV-oriented ballads, but hey! You can always press "skip"... Apart from those pussy ballads, the rocks are kickass and majoritary, arent they?

Sure it won't ever be like yesterday, anyway, so you have to take their new releases for what they are... Think of how many "dinosaurs" are in that case... Whatever they put out, it's like an extra mile...
      posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
      posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Dirty Duck
        Sniper
        • Aug 2005

Did anyone like JUST PUSH PLAY? I just didnt get it. To be honest..when they did that superbowl concert crap with Brittney and Justin...that was the moment they got their Rock n Roll card pulled. That was embarassing..

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dirty Duck
          Did anyone like JUST PUSH PLAY? I just didnt get it. To be honest..when they did that superbowl concert crap with Brittney and Justin...that was the moment they got their Rock n Roll card pulled. That was embarassing..
          I did. A disappointing album, but there are a few tracks that make it, with very cool riffs. The flame is fading, anyway.
          "Just push play" is worth it, only for a few songs, that is it's not really worth it properly speaking...
          posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Done With Mirrors was miles above what followed it, agreed, although I still think Pump was their last solid effort.

Night In The Ruts had some great stuff on it, agreed. Chiquita rocked.

Shit, even their version of Come Together in that abysmal Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band movie was better than that Don't Wanna Miss A Thing/Armageddon crap, and Steve and the boys were gacked out of their minds when they did the Peppers track.

But I do remember their Unplugged appearance in the early 1990s, and they were shit-hot on that. Their records post-1985 often left something to be desires, but from what I've seen on tv, their live stuff is still pretty solid.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Beauvoir
              Groupie
              • Apr 2004

Absolutely love classic Aerosmith. I can listen (and love) everything up to "DONE WITH MIRRORS".
              To me, thats the last true rockin' Aerosmith record and its a shame that more people don't know about it.

I have stayed clear of everything since except I will admit to liking "HONKING ON BOBO" because at least it sounds like a real band again, you can hear Hamilton & Whitford again and they havedone away with all the synths & layered background vocals.

Have to admit that I am also a big fan of Joe's solo work and in fact consider his debut solo album "LET THE MUSIC DO THE TALKING" just as good if not better than many Aerosmith albums!

Comment

• VonHalen
                Foot Soldier
                • Jul 2005

yeah, i have all aersmith on cd, im listening to Jig Is Up off of rock in a hard place, not original band members but still a cool tune

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                  ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by VonHalen
                  yeah, i have all aersmith on cd, im listening to Jig Is Up off of rock in a hard place, not original band members but still a cool tune
                  wait do you have all the aerosmith cd's???
                  I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                  Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• VonHalen
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Jul 2005

yes i do

Comment

• ben halen
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by FORD
                      Aerosmith was the best rock band in America before Van Halen came along. Everything they did in the 70's was classic, except maybe "Night In The Ruts". They were falling apart and it showed.

The album with the scab guitarists? Haven't heard it in years, don't care if I hear it again.

Done with Mirrors - The return of Aerosmith. I love this record, and I don't know why it's so criminally underrated in favor of the crap that followed.

Then came the decline - Permanent Vacation & Pump were passable albums in the Def Leppard/Bon Jovi pop-rock sense, but weren't up to the standards of the true Aerosmith by any means.

Everything after that - crap. Just complete shit. Most of it written by the same corporate slime who write songs for Michael Bolton & Celine Dion. Fucking embarrassment to the name Aerosmith, and to the fans that supported them since 1973. And yes I still have my vinyl copy of the first album to prove it.
                      Gotta agree with you.

I guess they had to commercialize their product to get radio and MTV play, but I don't care for anything after Done With Mirrors.

Compared to early stuff like their first album or Rocks, which was great raw rock-n-roll, the newer albums seem a little too polished and overproduced, with too much poppy, lightweight crap.

Remind you of another band?

Oh yeah, I still have my vinyl too.
                      HEY NOW!

Comment

• Frodo
                        Full On Cocktard
                        • Apr 2004

Great band Liked most of there stuff. I first saw them at the world Series of Rock at the old Cleveland Brown Stadium. In 1979.

Comment

• GreenBayLA
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2006

Official Reply

Aerosmith was my fave band in high school and beyond, Steven Tyler was my Higher Power.
                          Fave tracks:
                          Aerosmith - Dream On, Movin' Out
                          Wings - Same Old..., Lord of the Thighs
                          Toys - Sweet Emotion
                          Rocks - Back in the Saddle, Last Child. Sick as a Dog
                          Draw The Line - Sight For Sore Eyes, Milk Cow Blues
                          Ruts - Cheese Cake, No Surprize
                          Hard Place - Lightning Strikes, Bitches Brew
                          "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Apr 2005

Great band still live. When they play anyway. Listen too Toys In The Attic from the dvd You Gotta Move and it really doesn't get much better than that. Funny I was just listening to a double cd today of the old albums I made. The original grunge band !! I liked Vacation & some of Pump. They lost me after that. What is Tyler ? 68. Crazy. Joe is a good player. Great riffer like Page. Brad is awesome.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Apr 2005

Will they ever play together again is the question ? I would like to see them one last time. It's been since 87. My kid loves Idol with Tyler on it. I walk by or watch a little sometimes and he has some good one liners !! Typical frontman mind !!
                              Last edited by 78/84 guy; 01-01-2012, 12:24 AM.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                                ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

New album this year.Any takers?
                                I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                                Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

Working...