X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Breaking News--new Supreme Court Justice To Be Named

A Justice Harriet MIERS (according to ABC News)...

More info as it becomes available...
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

More info:

Oct 3, 7:11 AM EDT

Bush Chooses Miers for Supreme Court

By DEB RIECHMANN
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush has chosen Harriet Miers, White House counsel and a loyal member of the president's inner circle, to replace retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor on the Supreme Court, a senior administration official said Monday.

If confirmed by the Republican-controlled Senate, Miers, 60, would join Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg as the second woman on the nation's highest court.

Miers, who has never been a judge, was the first woman to serve as president of the Texas State Bar and the Dallas Bar Association.

Without a judicial record, it's difficult to know whether Miers would dramatically move the court to the right. She would fill the shoes of O'Connor, a swing voter on the court for years who has cast deciding votes on some affirmative action, abortion and death penalty cases.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comment

• Satan
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

Wow, another completely unqualified appointment from Team BCE. What a shocker..... and just in time to get the crimes of BugMan, Scooter, and KKKarl off the front page
      Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
      I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• knuckleboner
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

i'm sure she's a qualified attorney. i'm sure she has a very high understanding of the law.

the job of a supreme court justice is to either agree with, or correct the work of other judges. i'd definitely prefer to have someone who's spent time as a judge.

(and no, i don't care if there were democratically appointed justices without judicial experience. i'd disagree with all of them, too.)

Comment

• Satan
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner
          i'm sure she's a qualified attorney. i'm sure she has a very high understanding of the law.

the job of a supreme court justice is to either agree with, or correct the work of other judges. i'd definitely prefer to have someone who's spent time as a judge.

(and no, i don't care if there were democratically appointed justices without judicial experience. i'd disagree with all of them, too.)
          Judicial experience should be the primary question here. Roberts only had a lousy 2 years on the bench, and the Chimp made him Chief Justice.

To use a sports analogy here, NFL referees have a high understanding of the law, in this case the rules of professional football. That does not qualify them to step into the game as a star quarterback, let alone at the Super Bowl, as Roberts just did.
          Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
          I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• knuckleboner
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

yeah, i agree. roberts' experience was also certainly limited.

and, regarding the NFL; full disclosure: i don't know who's soul you obtained to have the seahawks kicker clang that upright, but thanks.

Comment

• Warham
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Satan
              Judicial experience should be the primary question here. Roberts only had a lousy 2 years on the bench, and the Chimp made him Chief Justice.

To use a sports analogy here, NFL referees have a high understanding of the law, in this case the rules of professional football. That does not qualify them to step into the game as a star quarterback, let alone at the Super Bowl, as Roberts just did.
              Boy, that's a dumb analogy.

My guess is that 100% of NFL quarterbacks know fewer of the rules than those referees that stand on the sidelines, even the rookie refs.

Comment

• ODShowtime
                ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

at least it wasn't alberto
                gnaw on it

Comment

Working...