Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,120 of 1728

Thread: "The Rolling Stones" Thread

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Stop $hilling for Mick and Keith
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Nope!

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,561 Times in 3,449 Posts

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Get your own thread, goddamn it!

Who's Next was a great album, of course. Probably the second best album of 1971. Right behind Sticky Fingers. And the original lineup of The Who were one of the best bands ever. But they really deserve their own thread.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Watching someone who annoys you self-destruct is a beautiful thing. Do Captain and Tenneil next Dave.
    Hey, fuck that...

...I like the Captain and Tenille.

Dave Grohl just bugs me. The Foo Fighters aren't even that fucking good, anyway. I'd honestly sooner listen to the Bee Gees.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    So how do you expand an album that was all outtakes the first time around?? By adding another disc of outtakes, of course........

rollingstone.com
    Jon Blistein
    August 19, 2021 9:00AM ET
    Rolling Stones Drop Previously Unreleased Track ‘Living in the Heart of Love’ From ‘Tattoo You’ Reissue

40th-anniversary edition of 1981 album will come with rarities disc, live album recorded in London in 1982

The Rolling Stones will mark the 40th anniversary of their 1981 album, Tattoo You, with a reissue featuring a bonus disc filled with previously unreleased material. The set will arrive on October 22nd via Polydor/Interscope/UMe.

To accompany the announcement, the Stones released “Living in the Heart of Love,” one of the nine previously unreleased songs that will appear on the bonus disc, Lost & Found. The nine songs were all originally recorded while the Stones were making Tattoo You, but were recently completed and enhanced with additional vocals and guitar by the Stones.

Along with “Living in the Heart of Love,” Lost & Found will feature a rendition of Jimmy Reed’s 1963 track “Shame, Shame, Shame” and a rendition of Dobie Gray’s 1973 soul tune, “Drift Away.” The disc will even include an alternate version of one of Tattoo You’s most famous tracks, “Start Me Up,” that incorporates some reggae influences.

Along with Lost & Found, a super deluxe edition of the Tattoo You 40th-anniversary set will come with a live album, Still Life: Wembley Stadium 1982. The concert was recorded in June of that year on the London stop of the band’s Tattoo You tour and boasts a 26-song set that includes plenty of Stones hits, plus covers of songs by the Temptations, Eddie Cochran, and the Miracles.

The Tattoo You 40th-anniversary set will be released in several physical formats. The two-CD set will feature just the remastered album and Lost & Found, while the four-CD box set will include the original album, Lost & Found, and the Wembley concert. The album will also be pressed in several vinyl formats, including a five-LP boxset that also comes with a hardback book featuring rare photos and interviews with producer Chris Kimsey and photographer Hubert Kretzschmar.

Tattoo You 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe Four-CD Set Tracklist

Disc 1 – Tattoo You (2021 Remaster)
    1. “Start Me Up” – Remastered 2021
    2. “Hang Fire” – Remastered 2021
    3. “Slave” – Remastered 2021
    4. “Little T&A” – Remastered 2021
    5. “Black Limousine” – Remastered 2021
    6. “Neighbours” – Remastered 2021
    7. “Worried About You” – Remastered 2021
    8. “Tops” – Remastered 2021
    9. “Heaven” – Remastered 2021
    10. “No Use in Crying” – Remastered 2021
    11. “Waiting on a Friend” – Remastered 2021

Disc 2 – Lost & Found: Rarities
    1. “Living in the Heart of Love”
    2. “Fiji Jim”
    3. “Troubles a’ Comin”
    4. “Shame Shame Shame”
    5. “Drift Away”
    6. “It’s a Lie”
    7. “Come to the Ball”
    8. “Fast Talking Slow Walking”
    9. “Start Me Up” (Early Version)

Disc Three – “Still Life” (Wembley Stadium Concert 1982)
    1. “Under My Thumb”
    2. “When the Whip Comes Down”
    3. “Let’s Spend the Night Together”
    4. “Shattered”
    5. “Neighbours”
    6. “Black Limousine”
    7. “Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)”
    8. “Twenty Flight Rock”
    9. “Going to a Go Go”
    10. “Chantilly Lace”
    11. “Let Me Go”
    12. “Time Is on My Side”
    13. “Beast of Burden”
    14. “Let It Bleed”

Disc 4 – “Still Life” (Wembley Stadium Concert 1982)
    1. “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”
    2. “Band Introductions”
    3. “Little T&A”
    4. “Tumbling Dice”
    5. “She’s So Cold”
    6. “Hang Fire”
    7. “Miss You”
    8. “Honky Tonk Women”
    9. “Brown Sugar”
    10. “Start Me Up”
    11. “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”
    12. “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing here that I haven't heard before, but it's good to see "Drift Away" and "Living In The Heart of Love" finally get an official release. As well as the original "Start Me Up" demo from 1975. Seeing some of the other titles on the bonus disc also brings into context that earlier leak of three albums worth of outtakes a few months back. Mick's clearly been busy in this project for a while, and he took his one bonus disc out of that pool of material.

Only thing missing here - the original mix of Neighbors that's all about the guitars, instead of too many keyboards, sax solos, and Charlie's drums mixed WAY too loud. Sadly, I guess were stuck with the muddy bootleg version of that one.
    Meh.

My cd of Tattoo You that I picked up in the 1990s still sounds fine.

As for the Wembley gig, virtually all the gigs supporting the Tattoo You album sounded the same. So, between the Let's Spend The Night Together dvd, the Hampton dvd and my Seattle and Houston dvd boots I gots more than plenty 1981 Stones shows. Plus, wasn't Wembley already released on DVD? I seem to remember from watching it that the band sounded a little rusty, possibly from a slight break/layoff between the end of the US dates on the 1981 tour and the Wembley gig, which (if memory serves) was several months later.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So far, the only official DVDs from the 1981/82 tour were Hampton VA which was recorded on Keef's birthday 12/18/81. And the Roundhay Park/Leeds DVD recorded on the day before Mick's birthday 7/25/82. You might be confusing Wembley with that one. Or you might have seen a bootleg version of it... Actually I'm not sure I even have that one.... haven't dug into my Stones DVD boots for a while....

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Disc 2 will have no interest as the tracks were leaked a few weeks ago (and they aren't of much interest to me BTW).

Can't wait for the Wembley concert on the contrary... It will surely feel like rediscovering Still Life, with lots of bonus tracks. They were in really great shape back then.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    So far, the only official DVDs from the 1981/82 tour were Hampton VA which was recorded on Keef's birthday 12/18/81. And the Roundhay Park/Leeds DVD recorded on the day before Mick's birthday 7/25/82. You might be confusing Wembley with that one. Or you might have seen a bootleg version of it... Actually I'm not sure I even have that one.... haven't dug into my Stones DVD boots for a while....

I was confusing Wembley with Leeds.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Part of the June 26 1982 Wembley show:

11. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

FORD (08-21-2021)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Looks like they had the same film crew for both the UK shows. The camera man who really liked closeups of faces, rather than actually showing them playing their instruments. Looks they had both Bobby Keys and the other dude on saxophones. Didn't think Bobby was on that tour at all. And the European leg of the tour was the beginning of Chuck Leavell's time with the band (though he looks more like Brad Delp here) replacing Ian McLagan who played keyboards on the US tour.

So the fact that this film exists probably means they'll be putting out an official DVD of the show right around the same time.

13. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (08-21-2021)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ian Stewart was there too.
    Not sure the sax on Angie was a good choice.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The complete show in Pontiac, November 30 1981, plus some 30-minute backstage footage, if you like watching Bill Wyman play ping-pong.

Dunno why there are those crappy traces on the screen though.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Wow.

Watts, DEAD.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Unhappy Charlie Watts, the Rolling Stones Drummer and Inimitable Backbone, Dead at 80

August 24, 2021 12:53PM ET
    Charlie Watts, the Rolling Stones Drummer and Inimitable Backbone, Dead at 80

Rock & roll legend “passed away peacefully in a London hospital earlier [Tuesday] surrounded by his family,” according to publicist
    By Joe Gross

Charles Robert “Charlie” Watts, the Rolling Stones drummer, has died. He was 80.

Watts’ publicist confirmed his death in a statement. “It is with immense sadness that we announce the death of our beloved Charlie Watts,” it read. “He passed away peacefully in a London hospital earlier today surrounded by his family.” The statement referred to Watts as “one of the greatest drummers of his generation” and closed by requesting that “the privacy of his family, band members, and close friends is respected at this difficult time.”

Watts’ death comes several weeks after it was announced that the drummer would not be able to partake in the Rolling Stones’ No Filter tour of U.S. stadiums. “Charlie has had a procedure which was completely successful, but his doctors this week concluded that he now needs proper rest and recuperation,” a rep for the band said in a statement at the time. “With rehearsals starting in a couple of weeks it’s very disappointing to say the least, but it’s also fair to say no one saw this coming.”

His light touch, singular rhythmic sense, and impeccable feel, as heard on canonical rock songs such as “Paint It, Black,” “Gimme Shelter” and “Brown Sugar,” made him both the engine that powered the Stones’ music and one of the most famous and respected drummers of all time.

As Keith Richards said in 1979, “Everybody thinks Mick and Keith are the Rolling Stones. If Charlie wasn’t doing what he’s doing on drums, that wouldn’t be true at all. You’d find out that Charlie Watts IS the Stones.”

And yet, Watts was very different than the rest of the Stones. His dapper dress sense — for which Vanity Fair elected Watts to the International Best Dressed List Hall of Fame — was ultimately more in line with the jazz he loved and sometimes played than the rock & roll. Watts also famously remained faithful to Shirley Shepherd, his wife since 1964, which set him somewhat apart from his excessive, hard-partying bandmates.

Unlike born road warriors such as Keith Richards, Watts often seemed uninterested in touring and gave the distinct impression the Stones was a job more than a calling or a lifestyle choice. His battle with drugs and alcohol in the mid-Eighties was, like many things about the man, largely private. “I’m big on letting people do what they want, which doesn’t make for good bandleaders,” he told Rolling Stone in 1991. “If I had led the Rolling Stones, they wouldn’t have gotten anywhere. We’d still be running around trying to find an amp, 30 years later.”

Watts was born June 2, 1941 in London, the son of a lorry driver. A jazz fan and 78 collector from an early age (Miles Davis, Dexter Gordon, and Charlie Parker were particular favorites), he took up the drums around age 14, sleeping in his favorite suit now and then to give it the same look as Parker’s.

Watts played in jazz combos until 1962 when he started splitting his time between playing in Alexis Korner’s Blues Incorporated and working at an ad agency graphic designer.

Watts was not the Stones’ first drummer. The band played its first gig in 1962 with the lineup of singer Mick Jagger, pianist Ian Stewart, guitarists Keith Richards and Brian Jones, bassist and future Pretty Things leader Dick Taylor, and drummer and future Kink Mick Avory.

Within months Avory was out, Watts was in and he played his first gig with the Stones on January 12, 1963, at the Ealing Blues Club. Their first single, a cover of Chuck Berry’s “Come On” was released in June 1963. “It’s All Over Now,” their first UK no. 1, arrived in June 1964. (“I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” driven by Watts’s relentless pound, hit No. 1 in the US in May 1965.

For all of his low-key skill behind the kit, Watts seemed well aware that he was an irreplaceable element of the Stones’ sound.

As one famous story from the band’s heyday goes, Jagger once phoned Watts’ hotel room in the midst of an all-night party asking “Where’s my drummer?” Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: “Don’t ever call me your drummer again. You’re my fucking singer!”

As much as Jagger’s lyrics or Richards’ riffs, Watts’s timekeeping on key Stones songs made them key Stones songs. The loose, almost jazzy feel on “19th Nervous Breakdown,” his groove-lock with Richards on “Beasts of Burden,” his extraordinary control with a very odd rhythm on “Get Off My Cloud,” the bounce of “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” his ice-cold snare on “Gimme Shelter” — all of these are master-classes in serving the song and shaping it at the same time.

In addition to his brilliant drumming, Watts also used his design skills to design various tour stages, including the 1975 lotus stage, the ‘89/’90 Steel Wheels tour, the Bridges to Babylon Tour, the Licks Tour, and the Bigger Bang Tour.

Away from the day job, Watts was a frequent jazz player. In 1986, he debuted the 32-piece Charlie Watts Orchestra, which was full of contemporary British jazz players. In 1991, with the Charlie Watts Quintet, he released “From One Charlie. . . .,” a tribute to Charlie Parker which included his little-seen Sixties children’s book “Ode to a Highflying Bird.”

In June 2004, Watts was diagnosed with throat cancer, which was treated and went into remission, which seemed to bring a renewed energy to the Stones, with whom Watts continued to play for his entire career.

When not playing music, Watts and his wife Shirley owned an Arabian horse farm. The couple has one daughter, Serafina, and a grandchild, Charlotte.

“I love this band, but it doesn’t mean everything to me,” Watts said in 1981. “I always think this band is going to fold up all the time — I really do. I never thought it would last five minutes, but I figured I’d live that five minutes to the hilt because I love them. I don’t care if I retire now, but I don’t know what I’d do if I stopped doing this. I’d go mad.”
    Last edited by FORD; 08-24-2021 at 01:17 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This fucking sucks like nothing has ever fucking sucked..... well at least not since last October.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Without Charlie, might as well say the Stones are over.
    It's very surprising, as he hadn't been reported in such a bad state...

R.I.P. Mr Watts.
    Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 08-24-2021 at 01:36 PM.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,614 Posts

You're my fucking singer

RIP Charlie

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mick has already started the proceedings of ways to capitalize off of his death.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Oh, and has Dave Grohl called for a press conference on saying how much this only affects him?

24. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (08-24-2021)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

“Everybody thinks Mick and Keith are the Rolling Stones. If Charlie wasn’t doing what he’s doing on drums, that wouldn’t be true at all. You’d find out that Charlie Watts IS the Stones.” - Keef, 1979

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    Without Charlie, might as well say the Stones are over.
    Two words: Steve Jordan

Because Mick and Keith are just that greedy.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    This guy is a total dipshit:

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

from Keith

29. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

FORD (08-24-2021)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sirius Deep Tracks channel 27 will become Rolling Stones Radio

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Throat cancer?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Sirius Deep Tracks channel 27 will become Rolling Stones Radio
    Don't be silly. No one can AFFORD Sirius

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    more like no one pays full price!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Throat cancer?
    He had throat cancer several years ago, but last I heard, he was cancer free. The recent health situation was some sort of surgical heart procedure. Don't know the specfics, but if they originally thought he would be able to tour, maybe he had some sort of valve thing like Mick had a couple years ago, and they thought he might have a similar quick recovery. Obviously his doctors didn't think that was the case when they advised him not to tour. Who the fuck knows what happened from there? Complications from the surgery? Some sort of clotting thing? Hope to fuck he didn't pick up Covid while in the hospital, as an 80 year old man who just had surgery probably wouldn't have had the best immune system.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Can you afford a three month free trial??
    https://www.siriusxm.com/trial-eligi...gramcode=SA3MO

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

37. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

FORD (08-24-2021)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Can you afford a three month free trial??
    https://www.siriusxm.com/trial-eligi...gramcode=SA3MO
    Been through free trials with those asshole mongoloids when I bought a car. If I were to get a streaming service that is overpriced it would be Tidal so I could look like a pretentious fuck.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Any-fucking-Hoo, I loved Charles' drumming on "Empty Heart" Why? Who cares?

40. 2 users say thank you to Kristy for this KICKASS post:

FORD (08-24-2021),Jérôme Frenchise (08-25-2021)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No One Impressed Charlie Watts, Not Even the Stones

rollingstone.com

Rob Sheffield

August 24, 2021 5:18PM ET
    No One Impressed Charlie Watts, Not Even the Stones

Rock’s ultimate drum god didn’t want the spotlight. He was there to do a job, which was knocking people off their feet, night after night, year after year

There will never be a world without Charlie Watts, because his backbeat changed how the world sounds. The Rolling Stones’ legendary drummer got away with nothing but boss moves, for just about 60 years. For me, the Charlie mystique is all there in his five-second drum intro from “Let It Bleed.” It’s one of the Stones’ best tunes, yet it’s nothing but the band listening to Charlie play. Mick just tries to keep up with him, while the guitars try to keep up with Mick, but Charlie is the guy everybody else is working hard to impress. He made the Stones great by conceding nothing to them.

The other Stones found Charlie impossible to dazzle. Charlie wasn’t even impressed by himself, let alone his bandmates. Keith told Rolling Stone in his 1981 cover story, “As far as I’m concerned, I’d just say that I’m continually thankful — and more so as we go along — that we have Charlie Watts sittin’ there, you know? He’s the guy who doesn’t believe it, because he’s like that.” The interviewer finds it hard to believe. But Keith insists, “There’s nothing forced about Charlie, least of all his modesty. It’s totally real. He cannot understand what people see in his drumming.”

Charlie is why you still hear “Start Me Up” on the radio, and why it never gets faded out early, even though the ending is Mick yelling, “You made a dead man come!” Nobody notices the dirty words, because you can’t take your ears off Charlie, and he’s driving every second of the groove to the final seconds. (As far as some fans are concerned, there are certain Stones recordings where making dead men come is Charlie’s job description.)

He died on the 40th anniversary of Tattoo You, the Stones’ 1981 mall-rat classic. For Eighties kids, the Tattoo You Charlie was the one we grew up with — keeping his stone face in the videos for “Start Me Up” and “Hang Fire,” utterly unfazed by the rock stars posing up front. At one point, he shakes his head in bemusement at Mick’s dancing. He was a no-bullshit non-rock star, holding it down behind the Glimmer Twins.

The glamorous life meant nothing to him. His marriage to Shirley lasted longer than the combined marriages of most bands. Charlie took pride in being a jazz fan, not a rock fan. “It’s dance music,” he told Rolling Stone in 1978. “But it hasn’t really progressed musically. Progression was Miles Davis playing modals. You can’t do that in rock. Progression was Coltrane, but you can’t do that in rock.” It was only rock & roll. But he liked it, yes he did. “Heavy backbeat, that’s what it is. That’s what the Beatles did and that’s what we did.”

Rolling Stone’s great Chet Flippo followed the band on their epic Seventies tours, so he got an inside look at Charlie on the road, as chronicled in his classic It’s Only Rock & Roll. Brace yourself for a typical decadent scene from the 1978 tour: “The Watts family sat down with me. Shirley tried a screwdriver for the first time. Seraphina [their young daughter] was reading a paperback of Jaws 2. ‘I was against it,’ said Shirley, ‘but you have to let them do these things.’”

Tattoo You is a perfect Charlie record — even when the song is nothing but Charlie motorvating forward, he takes care of business. “Neighbours” is a great example of a fantastic song where everyone breaks a sweat keeping up with Charlie. When Sonny Rollins steps in for his sax solo, it’s one of the only moments where you can almost hear Charlie blink in surprise.

One of my favorite Charlie records is Their Satanic Majesties Request, just because he’s often the only one in the band playing rock & roll. While the Stones dabble in psychedelic drivel (this is the album where Mick wears a wizard hat on the cover), Charlie keeps blasting everyone forward, as in “Citadel” or “2000 Light Years From Home.” He made sure the flower-child Stones wouldn’t get lost in the incense — like when he slams into the chorus of “Dandelion.”

I saw a couple shows on the Stones’ 2019 tour, and Charlie was an absolute monster to the end. He made every night’s “Midnight Rambler” an epic, though the song doesn’t begin to happen without him. (As with a lot of Stones songs, Charlie is the reason nobody else would dream of covering it.) Watching Mick Jagger and Ron Wood run all over the stadium, I could see why they were there. Keith Richards hitting his riffs, anchored by the drum kit — easy to see why he was there. But Charlie was the one I couldn’t figure out. Why was he still pushing himself so hard? Why was he even doing this? The answer came during “Midnight Rambler.” It was his groove, and he couldn’t walk away from it.

At every show, there was that moment where it was just the four of them on the lip of the stage, stripped down to a raw quartet. Nobody to hide behind, answering to nobody but Charlie. It was a moment where an entire stadium could sense it: For the other three, Charlie was the man whose standards they had to meet.

There are entire Stones albums — Black and Blue comes to mind, so does Emotional Rescue — where the concept is the Stones just listening to Charlie play. That’s enough concept for any album. That’s why Charlie was the ultimate rock & roll drum god. Keith Moon and John Bonham were street brawlers, but Charlie was the silent hit man you’d never notice until he put you away. He didn’t want the spotlight. He was there to do a job, which was knocking people off their feet, night after night, year after year.

We could talk all day about “Connection” or “Sympathy for the Devil.” Or “Let Me Go” or “Dirty Work” or “Rocks Off” or “Stray Cat Blues” or “Ride On Baby.” But let’s send him off with the Exile version of Slim Harpo’s “Shake Your Hips.” Charlie simmers, refusing to let the band break loose, until that one moment at the 55-second point where he gives up one shattering “bop!” And then goes back to his simmer.

That’s the moment you realize: Charlie was the only one on earth that the Stones took orders from, for 58 years. Here’s to the drummer who made them the World’s Greatest Rock & Roll Band. Ride on forever, Charlie Watts.

42. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (08-25-2021)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Always hated the thermal camera gimmick, but some of Charlie's best work here....

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I searched for other footage from the Montreux rehearsals and found a few more vids. They're really great!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    There are four key Stones master tracks that Charlie did not play on.

1. Tumblin' Dice - Jimmy Miller
    2. You Can't Always Get What You Want - Jimmy Miller
    3. Happy - Jimmy Miller
    4. It's Only Rock & Roll - Kenny Jones

See? Charlie is easily replaceable.

46. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (08-25-2021)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Charlie actually HATED Jimmy Miller's drums on You Can't Always Get What You Want. That's why they only played it once - at the Rock n Roll Circus in December 1968. And then not again until the 1972 tour. By which time the song had been completely restructured around Charlie's own jazzy drum part. And of course, a long Mick Taylor guitar solo....

This was definitely the best version of the song. Even when Woody joined the band, they pretty much kept this arrangement of the song in the set list up through the 1981/82 tour.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Oh, and you see this cocksucker right here?

"I blew Rich and Chris Robinson at the same time."

The only good shit about him is that he knew when to call it quits when the drummer bought a farm. Word to the motherfucker on that one. Schleppy were a monstrosity. Mick and Keith should do the right thing as well. Who knows, in 20 years time Mick and Keith can join the now reformed Black Crowes.

Thread Information