Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Goats Head Soup and Emotional Rescue suffered from the same thing... the albums that came before them were so flawless that anything that came after was going to look somehwat "disappointing" by comparison. You could say the same thing about Bridges to Babylon, as the followup to Voodoo Lounge, for that matter. Even though there was about 10 albums worth of "leftovers" from Voodoo Lounge.... albeit most of them never really finished...

The one good thing about the Stones taking 18 years between albums this time around, is that nobody's going to think the new record is just leftovers from A Bigger Bang
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
      However much I detest Areosuck at least they are an AMERICAN band unlike those Commies Mick & Keith.
      Interesting take on "American Exceptionalism". "Our drug addicts (in remission) are better than your drug addicts limies!"

Comment

• Rikk
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        Interesting take on "American Exceptionalism". "Our drug addicts (in remission) are better than your drug addicts limies!"
        You know she has interesting priorities when she rates countries based on the quality of their drug addicts.
        Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Sir Mick Jagger a commie? I don't think so - more like a closeted conservative like most 80 year old guys worth half a billion.

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            Sir Mick Jagger a commie? I don't think so - more like a closeted conservative like most 80 year old guys worth half a billion.
            Yeah, I never took their SWEET NEO-CON song as truly sincere.
            Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Written when Neo-con's were seen as being extreme rather than now when they are the crusty lightweight conservatives.

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                Yeah, I never took their SWEET NEO-CON song as truly sincere.
                I typically don't delete songs from albums when I load a thumb drive for one of the cars. I left Sweet Neo Con out of the A Bigger Bang folder.
                Last edited by twonabomber; 09-08-2023, 09:28 AM.
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                  I typically don't delete songs from albums when I load a thumb drive for one of the cars. I left Sweet Neo Con out of the A Bigger Bang folder.
                  Yeah, it's not that I had a problem with them attacking Neo-Cons in principle. It's just that it seemed like a lame way for them to sound current. It had a very UNDERCOVER kind of vibe to it (though, I've always legitimately enjoyed UNDERCOVER).
                  Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Written when Neo-con's were seen as being extreme rather than now when they are the crusty lightweight conservatives.
                    No shit. I remember thinking that the Tea Party were the most extreme Conservatives. Now, they're pretty moderate almost compared to today's fucking crop.
                    Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Commies cannot be billionaires?

News to me.

Comment

• Rikk
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Commies cannot be billionaires?

News to me.
                        Well, that's true enough. Roger Waters has pretty much identified as a communist.
                        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          You try writing songs for 60+ years and see how many ideas you come up with. Only so many chords out there. Just have to figure out how to put them together.
                          I mean, it's not compulsory that anybody listen to the new stuff, but...yeah, Kristy is on the right track to my ears.

The Stones really only came up with stuff worth hearing between 1968 and 1981, along with...I dunno, say a dozen singles during the Brian Jones era. After the title track to Undercover, nothing the band has done studio-wise is anything I'm ever gonna wanna hear again, and they've out out...what, 6 studio albums in the last 40 years?

The Stones at their best is some of the best rock and roll to my ears ever. The last 4 decades have been utterly forgettable.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                            The Stones at their best is some of the best rock and roll to my ears ever. The last 4 decades have been utterly forgettable.
                            What was their last listenable album? For me it was Some Girls with one cover tune the rest of some brilliant writing of Keith "riffage" and Commie Mick's sardonic lyrics. The production and some mixes on that album were rough around the edges but I think with Keith's legal battles at the time and Mick's growing greed sort of killed any futuristic original growth for the albums that followed were largely recycled material. Did not care from them after Undercover which is by far the worst stones album of all time more than Satanic Majesty's Request which Mick called a "comedy album." Dirty Work was made for the emerging CD market place, Steel Wheels was about 6 songs too long and Voodoo Lounge was an exhausting listen.

Where they fucked up is when they stopped making albums and started marketing themselves after seeing how much $$$ the Grateful Dead was pulling in on merch. All they put out in the past 20 years or so is remarketable shit. They never looked back and the music suffered - and still does after hearing that tune.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Rikk
                              Kimmel is the best of the three, followed by Colbert. Fallon is rarely funny (although his "early versions" of songs series is hilarious).

I agree, though...they really couldn't find anyone better? Maybe they chose him because he's a good ass-kisser.
                              Just for some outside perspective for what it is worth - pre YouTube obviously someone who wasn't American wouldn't see talk show hosts from the US and vice versa.

As a late adopter IMHO coming with no baggage Letterman comes across a bit of a dick and Leno as a total prick.

The rest are dull and I'm kind of surprised the power of network TV can't do better.

Conan and back in the day Ferguson are the one's that I woiuld have watched if I wasn't not in the US. Ok I've just realised I'm talking irrelevant shit.

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

What was their last listenable album? For me it was Some Girls with one cover tune the rest of some brilliant writing of Keith "riffage" and Commie Mick's sardonic lyrics. The production and some mixes on that album were rough around the edges but I think with Keith's legal battles at the time and Mick's growing greed sort of killed any futuristic original growth for the albums that followed were largely recycled material. Did not care from them after Undercover which is by far the worst stones album of all time more than Satanic Majesty's Request which Mick called a "comedy album." Dirty Work was made for the emerging CD market place, Steel Wheels was about 6 songs too long and Voodoo Lounge was an exhausting listen.

Where they fucked up is when they stopped making albums and started marketing themselves after seeing how much $$$ the Grateful Dead was pulling in on merch. All they put out in the past 20 years or so is remarketable shit. They never looked back and the music suffered - and still does after hearing that tune.
                                Tattoo You was a good album, but it does have a couple of tracks I'd skip if listening to it today.

Some Girls was their last good start-to-finish album.

Undercover had one stellar track, the title track. The rest of the album was weak.

Dirty Work was shit. Steel Wheels has one track, Terrifying, that I think these days is okay...maybe Break The Spell, as well: not a great track, but tolerable.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...