• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Satan
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
      Haven't they been for some time? Not being a smart ass but I'd much rather see Keith and the X-Pensive Winos than this rendition anymore. I don't need to see or even hear Mick live again. The last few times ruined what was back in 78...then again in 81...seeing them on a warmup for the Voodoo Lounge with 2000 people in Michigan...who could ever forget that experience.

Some would say the band ended with Brian. Personally, I thought he wasn't really contributing much to the band...just going for a ride at the end. Others would say when they burned out the bright light that was Mick Taylor. Kinda hard to argue when you look at the body of work his hand was on with them. I've heard a few say when Bill Wyman left they shudda hung it up too. All I know is after "Tattoo You" their albums become a collection of really good songs wedged in with a bunch of crap. Yeah crap. Their last one wasn't even worth listening to twice it was that damned bad to me. The last really good song I can recall them putting down was "Saint of Me" and that was YEARS...ago.

Oh well. I love the Rolling Stones and the body of work. I just don't need to see them live ever again. I'll listen to the boots and occasionally watch the shows.
      Yeah, it's hard to really get worked up about what the band have been doing on the creative front. They really haven't put out an album that was listenable from start-to-finish since Tattoo You. Lot of folks said Voodoo Lounge was right up their with the best of their work, but I wasn't hearing it back when it was released and I'm not hearing it now. I heard the same blather around the time A Bigger Bang came out...how it was really a great release, and how the band "have still got it." Bought a copy, listened to it and it sounded mundane and forgettable. With each studio release subsequent to 1981, it's just like MaddVibe said: you get a few decent tracks and a lot of filler.
      I don't really begrudge the band for this. They've created more than a few of the best songs rock music has ever produced, and it's not realistic to expect any band be consistently enthralling with every release, much less over a 50 year time span. It's just with the Stones that I'd be perfectly content seeing them live and hearing nothing in the setlist that was released from Undercover onwards, so I'm basically saying that their output, to me, from 1983 on is non-essential. And even if the band played a 2 & 1/2 hour show, they'd still be unable to play all the great tunes in their catalog. Such was the case when I saw them in 1989. They have THAT many great tunes in their repertoire.
      The other thing of it now is, I'm just not into seeing bands play in football stadiums anymore, and I ain't gonna pay $500 a ticket to be packed in with 50,000 other punters. Don't care WHO the band is. The sound in said stadium gigs is never as good as an enclosed venue, and for $500 I'd just as soon bugger off down to the local massage parlor and get 5 to 10 happy endings than see the Stones creak out Satisfaction for the umpteenth billion time.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Nov 2004

They could have made an excellent album out of the dozen great tunes they made in the last 30 years.

But fillers are inevitable if you want to have an album once every 3/4/5 years... The gap between releases has been increasing by the way (1983/86/89/94/97/2005-??) There could well never be another one, the longer they wait, the more little chances get. One of them remaining Stones might be missing by that time.

Anyway, one more album would basically add nothing to their career for now.
        They missed their 50th B-Day, as Bill Wyman didn't take part in the few shows they gave. Those gigs were very good ones, but Jagger missed the point in inviting other artists on stage, while Mick Taylor only did Midnight Rambler.
        Those shows didn't make it IMO, they weren't about partying as it should have been.
        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Satan
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

I was actually surprised that Wyman didn't take part in the Glastonbury or Hyde Park gigs. Apparently he hates flying, so that would explain why he didn't do the US tour. But the gigs in the UK that he could drive to in his own car? Why not?

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Maybe he managed to get a gig babysitting that day...

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Nov 2004

Maybe he had a Mandy-cap?
              posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
              posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Nov 2004

Bill was - is - both the wise and the nasty Stone.

One day I'll get his Rolling Stones biography. Must be a must.

Comment

• Satan
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

The Stones brought back a lot of the old stuff on their recent tour, but I don't think they tried this one. In fact I don't think they have played it since 1966. I'd like to see them try it at least once........

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

alternate memo from turner

Comment

• Satan
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Stones back on the road in the new year......

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Nov 2004

Happy B-Day Mr Riffards!

70, damned!...

Stones 69 - - Brian Jones Funeral par ivanof55

At 0:52, funny how he says not everybody can reach 70 years old.

Comment

• Zing!
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                          One day I'll get his Rolling Stones biography. Must be a must.
                          Read Stone Alone years ago. The only thing I remember about it is the shagging. Bill shagged anything that moved. Seem to recall he had a particular liking for shagging big bosomed American girls, but anyone would do for a shag in a pinch. On the hand, I've read Keef's Life twice already and will most likely read it again someday.
                          My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

The oddest thing about Wyman is he started dating a girl he would eventually marry when she was 14. But wait, it gets even more warped: Wyman's son started dating the girls mother.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• big fatty
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                              The oddest thing about Wyman is he started dating a girl he would eventually marry when she was 14. But wait, it gets even more warped: Wyman's son started dating the girls mother.
                              Oh Daddy. Barry Manilow wrote a song about her.

Keith Richards. 70 years old. Fuck YEAH. I'll drink to that.

Keith is happy to be there. He is happy to be anywhere.

BOTTIMS UP.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                                Happy B-Day Mr Riffards!

70, damned!...

Stones 69 - - Brian Jones Funeral par ivanof55

At 0:52, funny how he says not everybody can reach 70 years old.
                                Smoking kills most people. Keef is immune to tar and nicotine.
                                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...