Anarchy in the USA
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,923 Times in 4,421 Posts

Continental Drift was interesting, but obviously that's something they probably could never pull off live (which is why they used it for the intro music on the Steel Wheels tour... it's as close as you'll ever get to hearing that on stage)

In addition to The Master Musicians of Jajouka playing all the Moroccan stuff, you also had Keef playing "percussion" with a bicycle wheel. Definitely a one of a kind performance.

Of course the association with The Master Musicians of Jajouka goes back to the late 60s when Brian Jones produced an album for them.....

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-26-2020)

Anarchy in the USA
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anarchy in the USA
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anarchy in the USA
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

First time I've seen this one without the annoying radio DJ talking over the intro....

6. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (01-07-2021)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I recently went through the whole Let's Spend the Night Together compilation from the 1981 tour again. I hadn't done so for about 20 years (had it on videotape), remembered it and found it on the net.
    I had almost forgotten how masterful the show was. My first Stones album was Undercover and first live album was Still Life.

The behind the curtain moment and the very beginning of Under my Thumb are very impressive. They all look so laid down while a whole stadium is waiting for them to start, and the way they walk on stage as if they were rehearsing...

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

8. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-09-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-13-2021 @ 09:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,185 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    I recently went through the whole Let's Spend the Night Together compilation from the 1981 tour again. I hadn't done so for about 20 years (had it on videotape), remembered it and found it on the net.
    I had almost forgotten how masterful the show was. My first Stones album was Undercover and first live album was Still Life.

The behind the curtain moment and the very beginning of Under my Thumb are very impressive. They all look so laid down while a whole stadium is waiting for them to start, and the way they walk on stage as if they were rehearsing...

I mean, by that point in their careers, merely performing to a stadium full of people in and of itself wasn't really going to faze The Stones, in terms of the sheer amount of people there or whatever.

From what I can gather from what I've seen of the tours prior to the 1981 one, the Still Life/Tattoo You/20th Anniversary/Whatever The Hell Else One Wants To Call It tour was - in comparison to the other tours before - a very organized tour. Very organized in terms of how it was laid out beforehand regarding the logistics, lining up the promoters and the venues, the corporate sponsorship of the tour via Jovan fragrances. It was also very structured in terms of how the band band rehearsed for it, laid out the setlist and pretty much stuck to the plan night after night and show after show.

I'd say maybe a decade or so ago, before the band started releasing the 70s and 80s shows officially, when full setlist length video of 1981 US tour stadium shows from...where the fuck was it...Seattle, Dallas, Chicago and the like were being put out in bootleg form, it was interesting to compare it to the Let's Spend The Night Together footage of the first half of the movie that concentrated on the stadium show (vs. the 2nd half which was from the indoor arena)...and even comparing those various stadium gigs to one another...the setlist didn't vary much from night to night...nor the arrangements.

As has been said, the 1981 tour was the template for subsequent tours, and that streamlined, highly thought-out and professionally-executed series of gigs. The band were able to perform consistently throughout a tour. As opposed to the tours prior to 1981, which could be more hit-or-miss at times in terms of the quality of the performance...sometimes you'd get these spectacular shows, and other times the band as a whole would barely get through a gig by the seat of their pants and the strength of their name/legend rather than anything they were necessarily doing onstage on a particular night.

10. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (01-09-2021)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

All right, but regardless of how used to playing before stadiums they were, being so relaxed a few seconds before starting just cracks me up.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post

The At The Max intro was similar. Milling around backstage and then Start Me Up.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This played before they hit the stage on the No Security tour

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I mean, by that point in their careers, merely performing to a stadium full of people in and of itself wasn't really going to faze The Stones, in terms of the sheer amount of people there or whatever.

From what I can gather from what I've seen of the tours prior to the 1981 one, the Still Life/Tattoo You/20th Anniversary/Whatever The Hell Else One Wants To Call It tour was - in comparison to the other tours before - a very organized tour. Very organized in terms of how it was laid out beforehand regarding the logistics, lining up the promoters and the venues, the corporate sponsorship of the tour via Jovan fragrances. It was also very structured in terms of how the band band rehearsed for it, laid out the setlist and pretty much stuck to the plan night after night and show after show.

I'd say maybe a decade or so ago, before the band started releasing the 70s and 80s shows officially, when full setlist length video of 1981 US tour stadium shows from...where the fuck was it...Seattle, Dallas, Chicago and the like were being put out in bootleg form, it was interesting to compare it to the Let's Spend The Night Together footage of the first half of the movie that concentrated on the stadium show (vs. the 2nd half which was from the indoor arena)...and even comparing those various stadium gigs to one another...the setlist didn't vary much from night to night...nor the arrangements.

As has been said, the 1981 tour was the template for subsequent tours, and that streamlined, highly thought-out and professionally-executed series of gigs. The band were able to perform consistently throughout a tour. As opposed to the tours prior to 1981, which could be more hit-or-miss at times in terms of the quality of the performance...sometimes you'd get these spectacular shows, and other times the band as a whole would barely get through a gig by the seat of their pants and the strength of their name/legend rather than anything they were necessarily doing onstage on a particular night.
    That was probably Bill Graham's influence.

The Stones reportedly never did soundchecks. When they got back together for the Steel Wheels tour, Benji Lefevre asked if they'd consider doing soundchecks, as it would show the crew that the band was serious about putting on a great performance and making the tour work. One of the Stones (maybe Keith, I'd have to go dig out the book) said "put a snooker table backstage and we'll do a soundcheck before every show."

Thread Information