X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by silverfish
    Was unaware that Ronnie came in with "It's Only R&R" and "gave" it to Mick after he sang on the demo.
    The original recording was made in Woody's basement studio during sessions for his first solo album "I've Got My Own Album To Do". David Bowie also appears on the track (guitar & backing vocals) but he and Woody were pretty much wiped from the tape and overdubbed with Keef's guitar parts when it went to the Stones album. Oddly enough, the original bass & drums - played by Willie Weeks & Kenney Jones (not Bill & Charlie) remain on the track

Here's the original... Enjoy it before the RIAA trolls zap it again.....

Mick & Woody also came up with a song called "I Can Feel The Fire". Apparently the deal was Woody got to keep that song, and Mick got custody of IORR.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
      Jumping Jack Flash can be seen as the Stones' second start. They got back to what they did best and were arguably made for, playing rock 'n' roll.

And their sound was changing for the better. The last two years left a few great tunes, but it was like they started again in 1968, their best period was beginning.
      They were starting to hit their stride, where the way the records were recorded and mixed was finally consistently on par with the tunes they were writing, and the tunes they were writing were consistently better than the old, obscure blues tunes they had covered and were still covering.

Yep, there were great tracks prior to 1968, but 1968 was when they started lobbing out great start-to-finish albums one after another. From Beggar's Banquet through to Exile On Main Street. That's the peak.

Goat's Head Soup? Some good stuff there.
      It's Only Rock 'n Roll? Meh. So-so.
      Black And Blue? Some good stuff there, along with their last truly stellar great balls out Stones rocker in Crazy Mama.
      Some Girls? Last start to finish great Stones album.
      Emotional Rescue? Two, three, maybe 4 good tunes.
      Tattoo You? Nice job of warmed up leftovers. Hey, no sarcasm there, either: for what it is, I really like it. I especially like the track Heaven. Jagger's fey falsetto serves the song well.
      Undercover? Title track kicks ass. Straight downhill from there.

Everything post-Undercover? Just flailing at former glories - and at least flailing involves some sort of effort - and wanking off second rate tunes coasting on their past reputation. And that's E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G post-Undercover.

But hey, the band put out a lot of compelling music between 1968 and 1983, plus the good singles pre-1968. Pretty impressive body of work far as rock bands go.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
        Everything post-Undercover? Just flailing at former glories - and at least flailing involves some sort of effort - and wanking off second rate tunes coasting on their past reputation. And that's E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G post-Undercover.
        Plenty of second rate tunes, sure. But they write their own stuff and don't hire the flavor of the month writers like some bands (Aerosmith) did.
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Nov 2004

If only they had recorded some of their 1966-67 stuff a couple of years later...
          Listening to the way they played "Under my thumb" or "Let's spend the night together" during the 1981-82 tour I can't help thinking about that.
          "Aftermath", for instance, is a great album. But the sound spoils it in a way, IMO. Recorded two or three years later it would have been something else.
          posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
            Plenty of second rate tunes, sure. But they write their own stuff and don't hire the flavor of the month writers like some bands (Aerosmith) did.
            Hey, ANY band who wrote their own stuff - even if that stuff is second rate - and didn't hire Desmond Child gets a tip of the hat from me.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
              If only they had recorded some of their 1966-67 stuff a couple of years later...
              Listening to the way they played "Under my thumb" or "Let's spend the night together" during the 1981-82 tour I can't help thinking about that.
              "Aftermath", for instance, is a great album. But the sound spoils it in a way, IMO. Recorded two or three years later it would have been something else.
              Mmmm...Aftermath and Between The Buttons have a few good tracks on them, and a lot of filler. Same with Their Satanic Majesties Request.

Like, with Between The Buttons, I remember one of my aunts giving me her 8 track of it when I was a kid in the 1970s. I used to listen to it all the time back then. About a decade or so back, I bought the cd reissue of it. Let's Spend The Night Together still held up. Ruby Tuesday was still an all-time great Stones track. I barely got through listening to the rest of it, because the rest of it...just hadn't held up.

Undercover, similar lines.

Dirty Work? Yeesh.

When Steel Wheels came out, had bought it and listened to it constantly. At the time, thought it was good. Recall many reviews saying "The Stones are back! They've still got it!" Jann Wenner creamed his jeans, etc. Within a year or so, the tape was collecting dust. Mostly because I was listening to Steel Wheels in the lead up to the Stones show I saw.

Same thing with Voodoo Lounge, which was like Steel Wheels only longer. And can you believe there were record reviews at the time favorably comparing Voodoo Lounge to Exile On Main Street?

What the heck was the last studio album? The one that springs to my mind was A Bigger Bang. It was that same record review piffle with that one when it was released: "The Stones are back in form! Best album since Some Girls!!" Gave it a listen. Halfway through the spin, I was mentally checking out because the tracks sounded like half-realized, barely passable tunes that were just banged out, slapped together and thrown out there as product so the band could have a feeble excuse to mount another stadium tour where they were only gonna play a few tunes off the new album anyway. A cynical strategy they adopted as far back as Steel Wheels. Thankfully, after A Bigger Bang they didn't even bother with the obligatory New Stones Album before the obligatory New Stones Stadium tour. Because why bother? Nobody was going to those tours to hear Stuff From The New Album anyway.

But you know, like I said, the Stones had a long run of putting out a lot of great singles and albums. 1964 to 1983. Nearly twenty years. Dunno about The Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World moniker or whatever - they were no Needle Dig And The Bug Fuggers or anything THAT great - but the Stones were up there. Their best stuff still resonates, and there's a LOT of it.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                Mmmm...Aftermath and Between The Buttons have a few good tracks on them, and a lot of filler. Same with Their Satanic Majesties Request.

Like, with Between The Buttons, I remember one of my aunts giving me her 8 track of it when I was a kid in the 1970s. I used to listen to it all the time back then. About a decade or so back, I bought the cd reissue of it. Let's Spend The Night Together still held up. Ruby Tuesday was still an all-time great Stones track. I barely got through listening to the rest of it, because the rest of it...just hadn't held up.

Undercover, similar lines.

Dirty Work? Yeesh.

When Steel Wheels came out, had bought it and listened to it constantly. At the time, thought it was good. Recall many reviews saying "The Stones are back! They've still got it!" Jann Wenner creamed his jeans, etc. Within a year or so, the tape was collecting dust. Mostly because I was listening to Steel Wheels in the lead up to the Stones show I saw.

Same thing with Voodoo Lounge, which was like Steel Wheels only longer. And can you believe there were record reviews at the time favorably comparing Voodoo Lounge to Exile On Main Street?

What the heck was the last studio album? The one that springs to my mind was A Bigger Bang. It was that same record review piffle with that one when it was released: "The Stones are back in form! Best album since Some Girls!!" Gave it a listen. Halfway through the spin, I was mentally checking out because the tracks sounded like half-realized, barely passable tunes that were just banged out, slapped together and thrown out there as product so the band could have a feeble excuse to mount another stadium tour where they were only gonna play a few tunes off the new album anyway. A cynical strategy they adopted as far back as Steel Wheels. Thankfully, after A Bigger Bang they didn't even bother with the obligatory New Stones Album before the obligatory New Stones Stadium tour. Because why bother? Nobody was going to those tours to hear Stuff From The New Album anyway.

But you know, like I said, the Stones had a long run of putting out a lot of great singles and albums. 1964 to 1983. Nearly twenty years. Dunno about The Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World moniker or whatever - they were no Needle Dig And The Bug Fuggers or anything THAT great - but the Stones were up there. Their best stuff still resonates, and there's a LOT of it.
                The Stones threw a lot of mud at the wall. Some of it stuck. They wrote some of the biggest rock and roll classics. They weren’t one hit wonders. They got a hell of a lot of air play over the years. They still can draw a ton of attention in the internet age. The Stones are icons. Only the Beatles or a few other acts can claim that.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

It's the Mick and Keith Dog & Pony Show

With special appearance(s) by Ron Wood

Way past time to hang it up.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    The Stones threw a lot of mud at the wall. Some of it stuck. They wrote some of the biggest rock and roll classics. They weren’t one hit wonders. They got a hell of a lot of air play over the years. They still can draw a ton of attention in the internet age. The Stones are icons. Only the Beatles or a few other acts can claim that.
                    I disagree with none of that.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                      It's the Mick and Keith Dog & Pony Show

With special appearance(s) by Ron Wood

Way past time to hang it up.
                      Got no use for 'em anymore in terms of what they're doing now, myself. Haven't in 30 years, long before Watts passed away.

People still wanna fill stadiums to see 'em, okay with me. Go, have a good time and God Bless. Attending their shows isn't compulsory.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                        Christ, you're old

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                          Not a big Stones fan but I do respect they still do their own writing and haven't seemed to have resorted to concert tapes and backing tracks...

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Another long lost video pulled out of the closet and posted on the official Stones channel.

backing vocals by John & Paul... who do not appear in the video. Marianne Faithful (who did not sing on the track) does, for some reason.
                                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...