X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
    Fallon is an entitled frat boy who never grew up. His show is unwatchable. No, make that beyond unwatchable. I mean, Ron Wood? Then again, Fallon had on that girl who is a really shitty actress from NetSux Wednesday to talk about "Werewolf School"

Wow, hard-hitting interview by Fallon. So what's Ron Wood going to talk about? Maybe show off his tumors he keeps in a jar? Maybe he keeps them in his pocket? Maybe Fallon will use them as a prop in one of his stupid frat boy games?
    In all honesty, the last time I specifically sat down to watch one of those weekday late night talk shows in real time/original air time was probably 1995 and David Letterman on CBS.

I went maybe a decade or so from 1995 to...2005, 2006 before I even saw anything coming off of Letterman, Leno or O'Brien, and any content I saw from 2006 onward was solely via youtube clips.

I will say I did watch quite a bit of the Daily Show from 2000 to 2004 and the first couple seasons of the Colbert Report. The Daily Show I enjoyed, but after several seasons it was like, I get it. This show is for limousine liberals who want their daily dose of pablum. The Colbert Report wore out its welcome with me even more quickly. Thus, by the time Colbert and the two Jimmys took over the 11:30PM slots at ABC, NBC and CBS I was already a decade into not caring.

Then again, I never particularly revered Johnny Carson, either. He was a bit before my time, and by the time I could actually physically manage to stay up late enough to watch something at 11:30PM on a weeknight Johnny Carson was stale and out of it. As one tv exec would say of his show by the mid-1980s, even watching that show on tv one could smell the polyester. Letterman I liked, but by the time the 2000s rolled around even his schtick had become tiresome.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Even beyond all of that, what could Mick Jagger, Keith Richards or Ron Wood have to say that would be worth hearing?
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Well, if late night talk shows aren't your thing, apparently the Stones will be on the CBS morning show Monday morning to talk about "songwriting". That's about all I know, from a commercial during a football game.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

You know what?

I will, in fact, be home Monday morning to watch the CBS morning show.

I think instead of watching said morning show Stones interview I'll instead opt to rub one out and follow that up by a nap.

Mick Jagger looks like a cross between a lizard and a dried-out raisin. Creepy lookin' geezer.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
            Even beyond all of that, what could Mick Jagger, Keith Richards or Ron Wood have to say that would be worth hearing?
            To let the world know they made a Justin Bieber album. Then they will announce another pointless and boring tour for that album and charge @$800 per ticket and that foregoes TicketMaster's corrupt fees. At least Schleppy knew when to call it quits for good when their drummer died.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

To let the world know they made a Justin Bieber album. Then they will announce another pointless and boring tour for that album and charge @$800 per ticket and that foregoes TicketMaster's corrupt fees. At least Schleppy knew when to call it quits for good when their drummer died.
              Was talking to a business associate, this was maybe...20...19? Anyway, she was saying she was concerned that the Stones were going to cancel a concert in Miami that she was thinking of going to, or something along those lines.

I hadn't been to a concert for a big-name act in a couple of years, and I think I paid $150 a pop for those tickets. So, I asked her what she ticket prices for the Stones in 2019 were, and without blanching she said they were upwards of $500 a pop average and the cheapest she had found were nearly $400 a pop. Just for the ticket. Not from a ticket broker, either, but just the straight-up box office prices.

I recall doing a double take and she said something along the lines of 'it's the Stones, they're legends, this might be the last tour, the price is what it is, it's worth it' blah blah blah.

All of that made me remember getting scalped tickets to see them in 1989 for $50 a pop and I thought THAT was a rip-off...now, fuck, Taylor Swift is legit charging $1000 a pop and selling out multiple stadium dates across the country.

I mean, I get that things don't cost now what they did 30 years ago, but for $1000 a pop [Swift] at the very least better take me into a back room, sit me in an oversized beanbag chair, disrobe and slowly grind her body over mine for at least 30 minutes...champagne included.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Visiting day in the old folks home?

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

What gets me is that all pre-orders of the new album completely sold out in Target stores.

Now, ask yourself, who shops for CDs and vinyl at a god damn Target?

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Old rock icons are dying like flies and The Rolling Stones go, buy our new album and come see us on tour.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Visiting day in the old folks home?
                          Shit. They looked old in 1981. I rode down to Phoenix with some lifeguards and greens keepers to see The Stones because they might not be around much longer. I sold a kayak to get money to buy the tickets. 81 was a fun year. The good ol days.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

What gets me is that all pre-orders of the new album completely sold out in Target stores.

Now, ask yourself, who shops for CDs and vinyl at a god damn Target?
                            Who shops at Target at all?

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              Who shops at Target at all?
                              I do, maybe once or twice a year. Beats the Hell out of WalMart.

And relevant to this thread, I did find the Exile on Main Street Bonus disc at Target back when the remaster was released in 2010. As opposed to needing to buy the entire album again, which I had already done for the CBS & Virgin remasters.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Was it 50% off for all pensioners that day, slave FORD?

Comment

Working...