No announcement yet.

"The Rolling Stones" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another song butchered by Bob Clearmountain for the record. Here's how it was supposed to sound.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Recorded in 1969. And better than the "official" version on Exile, in my opinion........

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Early take on this one. I think Keef also got "She's So Cold" out of this one, by the sounds of this version....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• "Summer Romance" was always a punkish kinda song. But even more so in this early version. Sounds like they were listening to the first Clash album before they hit the studio that morning......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Sound quality ain't the best here, but at least you can hear what a guitar oriented song this originally was before Clearmountain (or whomever) pussified it with too many keyboards, saxophones and what not. Hopefully a clean copy of this will surface one day, but so far all the boots I've heard of it sound pretty much like this........

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Classic Keef from the Dirty Work sessions. Too bad he didn't finish it, as it would have been better than about half of that album.......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Sounds like something they would have recorded in 1963, but it's actually from the Steel Wheels sessions.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Ever since the Exile remaster came out in 2010, it's been driving me fucking crazy trying to figure out where the Hell they got "Plundered My Soul" from, as there was nothing really resembling that song on any of the Exile era boots I'd heard for years.

Goddamn it, I think I finally figured out, And that damn Mick cheated a little. Yeah, he already included the non-overdubbed "Good Time Women" from 1970 and the slightly overdubbed take on the 1969 version of Loving Cup. But at least those were songs that were later revisited in those historic sessions in Keith's basement in France (with Good Time Women evolving into "Tumbling Dice")

But I believe I've found the answer.... and this goes all the way back to 1968. Pretty sure if you took Mick's new vocal, Mick Taylor's new guitar part and a drum fix or two from Charlie off of Plundered My Soul, this is what you would find lurking underneath.........

....Jagger, you sneaky bastard!
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Not to detract from the music or anything, but..... would you wear THIS suit to your daughter's wedding??

Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Good to see Bianca looks happy and mannish..baby.
                      Last edited by Jack68; 07-04-2012, 06:11 AM.
                      "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

• Originally posted by FORD View Post
                        Sound quality ain't the best here, but at least you can hear what a guitar oriented song this originally was before Clearmountain (or whomever) pussified it with too many keyboards, saxophones and what not. Hopefully a clean copy of this will surface one day, but so far all the boots I've heard of it sound pretty much like this........

Clearmountain jacked up the drums way too loud on this tune for the official release...this actually sounds miles better in terms of overall atmospherics despite limitations in source material sound quality.
                        Apparently Tattoo You was a Jagger/Clearmountain production in essence, regarding mixes and recording. From what I've read, the recording process was fragmented, largely in part because virtually all of the tracks were taken from previous album sessions, so there was a lot of overdubbing over existing recordings in order to make the album at least sound somewhat like it had been created in 1981. Like, there were virtually no tracks where the entire band was present in the studio laying down parts, since on one track the guitar parts were recorded a few years ago, so all that was redone were the vocals, etc. Rumor has it Richards wasn't even particularly involved in the Tattoo You mixing sessions on nearly the level Jagger and Clearmountain were.
                        None of this was spoken about by the band at the time, since they were basically (by their silence) engaged in a kind of fiction, pretending that Tattoo You was a fresh effort of new songs by the band. That's why Richards was so insistent their next effort (Undercover) was actually a group effort with nothing but new material on it, recorded by the band at the time specifically for that album.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Yeah, I've heard that the only thing Keef really did "new" on that album was the lead vocals on Little T&A.

It was originally recorded either for Some Girls or Emotional Rescue, depending on which account you read. But the original vocal here definitely sounds like Some Girls era to me. Pretty much the same as he sounded on "Before They Make Me Run" (as opposed to the deeper, raspier tone he had already acquired by the Emotional Rescue sessions)

Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                          I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Cor Blimey, as Mick might have said in his Mockney accent, it's the 50th anniversary of the Stones' first gig.

Start it up: the 50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones' first gig
                            Fifty years ago this week, a nervous band called the Rollin' Stones played their first gig – to a bemused crowd of jazz fans. Christopher Sandford, the band's biographer, charts a revolution

‘They looked like rock stars’… Keith Richards, left, and Brian Jones at the Marquee on 12 July 1962. Photograph: Pictorial Press/Alamy

In the summer of 1962, the management of the Academy cinema on Oxford Street in London thought it wise to warn patrons that the film they were about to see, the big-screen adaptation of John Wyndham's novel about killer plants, The Day of the Triffids, "contained graphic horror" and "might prove disturbing to those of a nervous disposition". Today, Wyndham's mutant shrubs look blandly innocuous. But on the night of Thursday 12 July, in a basement club called the Marquee, just a few feet below the cinema where the Triffids was screening, something much more unsettling was about to get under way.

A sober-suited crowd of about 80 men and 30 women were on hand to witness the Rolling Stones' first gig. There was a taste among both sexes for shapeless, utility-style clothes, stout shoes and goofy square glasses. (It's remarkable how many young men seemed to resemble Buddy Holly.) Based on the number of goatees in the photographs, many were also diehard jazz fans; those who were there report that the audience took some time to warm up to the Stones' 50-minute blast of American rhythm and blues.

The band were officially billed as "Mick Jagger and the Rollin' Stones", although the lead vocalist was by no means their most compelling personality. Jagger, his Dartford Grammar schoolfriend Keith Richards, and the self-styled "Cheltenham Shagger" Brian Jones (who had recently come up with the group's name) were the front line. Jagger, who was still a student at the London School of Economics, wore a striped sweater and corduroys; Richards a funereally dark suit; while Jones pogoed up and down, leering at the women. Behind them was the already comically deadpan rhythm section, which for now comprised Richards's art-school friend Dick Taylor on bass and the future Kinks drummer Mick Avory, who sat in for the night. Jagger and Richards were 18 and living at home; Jones was 20; Ian Stewart, a 23-year-old shipping clerk, stood off to the side, eating a pork pie with one hand and playing piano in a loping, barrel-house style with the other.
                            The rest is here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jul/09/rolling-stones-first-gig-50th
                            Last edited by VHscraps; 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM. Reason: added some text
                            THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• The screaming on this is great ...

THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• I'll be damned.... a Stones video where Charlie doesn't look like he's bored shitless!
                                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...
                                X