Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,040 of 1728

Thread: "The Rolling Stones" Thread

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Continental Drift was interesting, but obviously that's something they probably could never pull off live (which is why they used it for the intro music on the Steel Wheels tour... it's as close as you'll ever get to hearing that on stage)

In addition to The Master Musicians of Jajouka playing all the Moroccan stuff, you also had Keef playing "percussion" with a bicycle wheel. Definitely a one of a kind performance.

Of course the association with The Master Musicians of Jajouka goes back to the late 60s when Brian Jones produced an album for them.....

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-26-2020)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

First time I've seen this one without the annoying radio DJ talking over the intro....

6. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (01-07-2021)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I recently went through the whole Let's Spend the Night Together compilation from the 1981 tour again. I hadn't done so for about 20 years (had it on videotape), remembered it and found it on the net.
    I had almost forgotten how masterful the show was. My first Stones album was Undercover and first live album was Still Life.

The behind the curtain moment and the very beginning of Under my Thumb are very impressive. They all look so laid down while a whole stadium is waiting for them to start, and the way they walk on stage as if they were rehearsing...

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

8. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-09-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:59 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    I recently went through the whole Let's Spend the Night Together compilation from the 1981 tour again. I hadn't done so for about 20 years (had it on videotape), remembered it and found it on the net.
    I had almost forgotten how masterful the show was. My first Stones album was Undercover and first live album was Still Life.

The behind the curtain moment and the very beginning of Under my Thumb are very impressive. They all look so laid down while a whole stadium is waiting for them to start, and the way they walk on stage as if they were rehearsing...

I mean, by that point in their careers, merely performing to a stadium full of people in and of itself wasn't really going to faze The Stones, in terms of the sheer amount of people there or whatever.

From what I can gather from what I've seen of the tours prior to the 1981 one, the Still Life/Tattoo You/20th Anniversary/Whatever The Hell Else One Wants To Call It tour was - in comparison to the other tours before - a very organized tour. Very organized in terms of how it was laid out beforehand regarding the logistics, lining up the promoters and the venues, the corporate sponsorship of the tour via Jovan fragrances. It was also very structured in terms of how the band band rehearsed for it, laid out the setlist and pretty much stuck to the plan night after night and show after show.

I'd say maybe a decade or so ago, before the band started releasing the 70s and 80s shows officially, when full setlist length video of 1981 US tour stadium shows from...where the fuck was it...Seattle, Dallas, Chicago and the like were being put out in bootleg form, it was interesting to compare it to the Let's Spend The Night Together footage of the first half of the movie that concentrated on the stadium show (vs. the 2nd half which was from the indoor arena)...and even comparing those various stadium gigs to one another...the setlist didn't vary much from night to night...nor the arrangements.

As has been said, the 1981 tour was the template for subsequent tours, and that streamlined, highly thought-out and professionally-executed series of gigs. The band were able to perform consistently throughout a tour. As opposed to the tours prior to 1981, which could be more hit-or-miss at times in terms of the quality of the performance...sometimes you'd get these spectacular shows, and other times the band as a whole would barely get through a gig by the seat of their pants and the strength of their name/legend rather than anything they were necessarily doing onstage on a particular night.

10. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (01-09-2021)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

All right, but regardless of how used to playing before stadiums they were, being so relaxed a few seconds before starting just cracks me up.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post

The At The Max intro was similar. Milling around backstage and then Start Me Up.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This played before they hit the stage on the No Security tour

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I mean, by that point in their careers, merely performing to a stadium full of people in and of itself wasn't really going to faze The Stones, in terms of the sheer amount of people there or whatever.

From what I can gather from what I've seen of the tours prior to the 1981 one, the Still Life/Tattoo You/20th Anniversary/Whatever The Hell Else One Wants To Call It tour was - in comparison to the other tours before - a very organized tour. Very organized in terms of how it was laid out beforehand regarding the logistics, lining up the promoters and the venues, the corporate sponsorship of the tour via Jovan fragrances. It was also very structured in terms of how the band band rehearsed for it, laid out the setlist and pretty much stuck to the plan night after night and show after show.

I'd say maybe a decade or so ago, before the band started releasing the 70s and 80s shows officially, when full setlist length video of 1981 US tour stadium shows from...where the fuck was it...Seattle, Dallas, Chicago and the like were being put out in bootleg form, it was interesting to compare it to the Let's Spend The Night Together footage of the first half of the movie that concentrated on the stadium show (vs. the 2nd half which was from the indoor arena)...and even comparing those various stadium gigs to one another...the setlist didn't vary much from night to night...nor the arrangements.

As has been said, the 1981 tour was the template for subsequent tours, and that streamlined, highly thought-out and professionally-executed series of gigs. The band were able to perform consistently throughout a tour. As opposed to the tours prior to 1981, which could be more hit-or-miss at times in terms of the quality of the performance...sometimes you'd get these spectacular shows, and other times the band as a whole would barely get through a gig by the seat of their pants and the strength of their name/legend rather than anything they were necessarily doing onstage on a particular night.
    That was probably Bill Graham's influence.

The Stones reportedly never did soundchecks. When they got back together for the Steel Wheels tour, Benji Lefevre asked if they'd consider doing soundchecks, as it would show the crew that the band was serious about putting on a great performance and making the tour work. One of the Stones (maybe Keith, I'd have to go dig out the book) said "put a snooker table backstage and we'll do a soundcheck before every show."

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Rolling Stones: 50 Unreleased Tracks Leak Online

The article dates back from March 9th. I heard about it on the radio only one hour ago. It seems an insider posted the whole stuff (50 fully finished songs with great sound) on youtube, but it isn't available there anymore.
    I found a source that offers FLAC versions. I can pm a link to you (if I know your user name, that is).

I'll listen to those tracks in my car tomorrow and the rest of the week.Artwork (Digipack) front-back.jpg

https://wmmr.com/2021/03/09/rolling-...s-leak-online/

16. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

FORD (03-15-2021)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Found a website that had brief sound clips from this set. (and then immediately forgot where the site was so I can't post the link) Tracklist looks like a bunch of stuff that's already out there, but from the clips, the sound quality definitely seems to be worth the download. Don't know who put this out, but if they have access to tapes of this quality, I wish they would make their next "project" a complete release of the Some Girls sessions.

And BTW, I found the FLAC files on bittorrent. Which is good, because those other download sites are trying to con you into a "paid" membership (which probably forwards your info directly to the RIAA trolls)

18. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-15-2021)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The big YouTube file disappeared quick, but some of the tracks are surfacing on their own.

This song was previously only available as a demo from the Dirty Work sessions with some scratch vocals from Keef. So I'm beginning to think this is some sort of Tattoo You type project with a bunch of new vocals slapped on vault tracks. Mick must have been bored in his mansion?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The RIAA trolls will probably zap this one quick... It's the goddamned original version with Bowie & Woody, recorded in Woody's basement. Listen while you can!!

21. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-15-2021)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The oldest song on this new compilation would be "She's Doing Her Thing" from 1967. Mick recorded this one right, because it sounds like an old song.... but apparently there were no vocals on the original at all. Just found the original session. And it's all instrumental. And it took the boys several false starts to get in the groove....

Keef is playing the only guitar here, while Brian Jones is on the congas.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Track by track "review" of this collection can be read here

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's another newly surfaced boot. This one from the 40 Licks sessions in 2002....

The first song has the same vocal melody as "Trouble" from Keef's last solo album, though entirely different lyrics (and Mick singing this one)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nazi RIAA Prick Censors FUCK OFF!!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Now I've listened to the whole thing, there's nothing in there that would break three legs to a duck (sorry, French slang ).
    I even got bored...
    The sound is fine, all right, but you can clearly get why the tunes didn't make it on the albums.

There's a documentary interest in the proto-"It's only rock 'n' roll" but frankly I prefer the definitive version by far.

I still wonder who put all this on the net, and why.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nearly all these tracks sound like watching top sportsmen practicing.
    There are quite a few studio boots circulating that are 50 times as interesting, containing less tunes.

Were there any reactions from the Stones about those leaks?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Probably been a while since I posted this one. Damn shame they left it off "Black and Blue" and an even bigger shame that they butchered the fuck out of it on "Tattoo You". It's a crime that the full song never got a legitimate release....

29. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-31-2021),Terry (05-13-2021)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wayne Perkins wasn't credited here, though he played throughout the whole track. And Mick Taylor claims he collaborated in the creation of it.
    Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 03-31-2021 at 06:41 AM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ironically, the solo Perkins played sounds a lot like what Mick Taylor would have done. First time I heard the edited version on Tattoo You way back in 1981, I thought it might have been one of the tracks MT played on. (it wasn't, of course. Though he did play on "Tops" and "Waiting On A Friend")

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Seven Days (and Six Woodys)... somehow I haven't seen this video before today. Even though it's apparently existed since 1979...

33. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (05-14-2021)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

First time for me too. Wolfgang owes the idea to Woody.

i still prefer the Faces. Ronnie sings like a cat.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, vocals aren't his biggest strength. Though he did alright on his first two solo albums in the 70s. And Slide on This in 1992... probably on that one, because he had Bernard Fowler on board as his "vocal coach".

Not sure why he cloned himself 6 times for that video. I know for a fact that Mick Fleetwood played drums on the track, and Ian MacLagan probably played the keyboards. Ronnie probably did play the bass & all the guitars, including the steel though.

And the clothes he's wearing as "Keyboard Ronnie" were stolen right out of Keef's closet. It's exactly the same thing Keef was wearing at their Kilburn show in 1974!!

Last edited by FORD; 05-14-2021 at 07:39 PM.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Copacabana Beach show from the A Bigger Bang tour is being re-released. Supposedly the entire show vs what showed in theaters and in the Biggest Bang box set that Best Buy sold.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Still think it's ironic that Woody never got to sing lead at a Stones gig. Neither did Bill Wyman, but ironically they let Billy Preston sing, and he wasn't even a full time band member....

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I wonder why he was given so much room during the '76 tour. He would never STFU...

Bill Wyman sang one tune, In another land in '67.
    Bill's voice is OK, it has that laid-down, tongue-in-cheek vibe. Whereas Woody sings like a cat.
    Besides, Mick Taylor sounds awfully boring.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They never played "In Another Land" live though. Ironically, it might have been one of the few songs from "Satanic Majesties" that might have actually worked on stage. Remember, they didn't play anything from that record until 1989. And I'm pretty sure that "2000 Light Years From Home" & "She's A Rainbow" were the only two they ever attempted at all.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I like Their Satanic Majesties Request a lot. Lots of memories linked to it, and it's so picturesque.
    They reached the end of their psychedelic period then.
    It's amazing how they got so radically back to the blues and rock the following year.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Seems that all the "experimental" stuff in the mid-60s was Brian's doing. And by the time of Beggar's Banquet, he was pretty much out of it, as far as any significant input into the direction of the band. It's also when they brought in Jimmy Miller as producer, so that's what set the stage for that period in the band's history (1968-1974) which was arguably their musical peak. Definitely was the case in their live performances, once Mick Taylor was on board.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Those years -- '68-74 -- were definitely their peak, both in the studio and on stage, I agree.
    The sound of the (pre-'68) sixties lessened their songs. Studio recording wasn't what it would become in the following years. I sometimes try to imagine what tunes like "It's not easy" would have sounded a few years later. Much better for sure.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Really wish Mick was working on that "new Stones album" that's supposedly been in the works since before the Blues covers album. But at least he's working on something.....

Decent rock song. Lyrics on topic (i.e. "Highwire" or "Sweet NeoCon") probably won't end up on the list of his "Top 10 all time best works" but it beats the living shit out of most crap on the radio now.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,738 Times in 2,055 Posts

Blog Entries
    Dave Grohl is quite possibly more of a media whore than ol' F A T T Y.

46. 2 users say thank you to Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (06-08-2021),Von Halen (06-08-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

Don't jizz yourself Krissy, but I agree with you about Grohl. I'm not sure how or when this guy became the authority and expert on everything to do with music, but I'm fucking sick of him. I wish he'd take a cue from Cobain, and eat a 12 gauge shell.

48. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (06-08-2021),Nitro Express (06-08-2021)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,738 Times in 2,055 Posts

Blog Entries
    A million thanks to Von on that one.

Maybe there is hope for you.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dave Grohl is quite possibly more of a media whore than ol' F A T T Y.
    Yup. Grohl is the new Sammy Hagar. Next we will hear Grohl talk about taking an alien anal probe up the ass and he will start selling his own brand of liquor and invite the world to suck his cock on his birthday.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Don't jizz yourself Krissy, but I agree with you about Grohl. I'm not sure how or when this guy became the authority and expert on everything to do with music, but I'm fucking sick of him. I wish he'd take a cue from Cobain, and eat a 12 gauge shell.
    I wish falling off the stage would have broken his neck instead of his leg.

Thread Information