Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Haven't seen any footage of the London show yet, but here's the actual video for Doom and Gloom....

<object width="575" height="324"><param name="movie" value="http://videoplayer.vevo.com/embed/Embedded?videoId=GBUV71201709&playlist=false&autop lay=0&playerId=62FF0A5C-0D9E-4AC1-AF04-1D9E97EE3961 &playerType=embedded&env=0&cultureName=en-US&cultureIsRTL=False"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://videoplayer.vevo.com/embed/Embedded?videoId=GBUV71201709&playlist=false&autop lay=0&playerId=62FF0A5C-0D9E-4AC1-AF04-1D9E97EE3961 &playerType=embedded&env=0&cultureName=en-US&cultureIsRTL=False" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="575" height="324" bgcolor="#000000" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Zing!
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

VH should take note on how real videos are made these days. Makes an average song look and sound so much cooler...
      My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Apr 2005

So what's the deal with Taylor & Bill ? Are the going to show up on stage for any shows ?

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
          So what's the deal with Taylor & Bill ? Are the going to show up on stage for any shows ?
          Well, they did show up in London. Unfortunately Mick Taylor only played on one song, and apparently Wyman only played on two. And not even together

This is probably the best footage I've seen from the show. Obviously not pro-shot, and not very good audio. But at least you can actually see MT on stage.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• 78/84 guy
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Apr 2005

Cool stage Mick & Mick sound good. I don't understand the one song thing. Sounds kind of stupid. But at least they are there.

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

KEWL

They need to bring back Taylor full-time

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Nov 2004

Mick Talor has probably moved around here more than he has in the last 27 years on stage.

So funny how he hurried after Mick Jagger who seemed like he was jogging away to have a break from him
                on the upper side...

Keith and Ronnie stayed before Charlie's kit - and apparently only Keith really thanked him in the end of the tune.
                posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Zing!
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

Amen to that. I agree completely. Ronnie's a cool cat, but the Taylor years were golden. Always thought Keef would be the one to hold a grudge, but Jagger can be a prissy bitch.

Comment

• Matt White
                    • Jun 2004

I'm a fan of the Brian Jones years...their best work far and away

Comment

• Zing!
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2011

Yes, but that time period was also riding the wave of MT's talent. They coasted on Taylor's fumes until they ran out in the early 80's. it would take another half a decade or so for the Glimmer Twins to find their mojo again.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Nov 2004

Mick Taylor was the best guitar player who ever played with the Stones, agreed - except for the 1975 sessions Jeff Beck took part in.
                        The studio stuff they did with him on lead was so skilled - the best live stuff you can find was made with Taylor too, "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out",
                        "Brussels Affair", "Ladies & Gentlemen"...

The Brian Jones years were magic - if only they could have recorded their stuff with Jones with the technology from the late 60s/early 70s... - maybe the best they ever did as far as composing; too bad the sound of those days didn't tally their inspiration.

With Ronnie Wood since 1975 they've delivered great stuff too, and Ronnie allowed Keith to reach the guitar interaction he wanted, that you especially hear on "Some Girls", their best album with Ronnie Wood I think.

"Emotional Rescue" is rather uneven, but there are great tunes like "So Cold", "Let Me Go", "All About You", "Where the Boys Go"...

The videos from the 1978-81 period kicked ass ("So Cold", "Neighbors", "Start me Up"...).

"Undercover" is really underrated, as "Dirty Work" is. Neither of these two albums were followed by a tour, which probably got them ill-appreciated.
                        I wouldn't rate them under "Tattoo You".
                        I'd say "Steel Wheels" is their second best with Woodie.

Voodoo Lounge would have been excellent if they had cut about 4 tunes off it IMO...

Bridges to Babylon almost sounds like some Jagger solo album, except for "Flip the Switch". Almost boring... Haven't listened to it in a good dozen years.

"Bigger Bang" would have been much bigger, had they taken a few tunes out, like for Voodoo Lounge...

But in retrospect, what an amazing discography, there's so little to leave aside!

Too bad Bill Wyman didn't play more than he did the other day, and even Mick Taylor. The celebration would have been more complete -
                        but apparently Mick Jagger decided it wouldn't happen like that... by the way, he was limping on stage, wasn't he?
                        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Zing!
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                          Voodoo Lounge would have been excellent if they had cut about 4 tunes.
                          Bridges to Babylon almost sounds like some Jagger solo album, except for "Flip the Switch". Almost boring... Haven't listened to it in a good dozen years.

"Bigger Bang" would have been much bigger, had they taken a few tunes out, like for Voodoo Lounge...
                          Babylon was a horrid album - boring and uninspired except for Keith's songs. I put it up there with Satanic Majesties as their worst ever. However, I thought Voodoo Lounge was fantastic - liked every track and it still holds up well today. I think I've only listened to Bigger Bang once. It didn't do too much for me. Maybe it's time to give that one another spin and see if my opinion has changed...

Comment

• Satan
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise

Ironically enough, some of the better songs from the Bigger Bang sessions did NOT make the album....

Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                            I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
                              Babylon was a horrid album - boring and uninspired except for Keith's songs. I put it up there with Satanic Majesties as their worst ever. However, I thought Voodoo Lounge was fantastic - liked every track and it still holds up well today. I think I've only listened to Bigger Bang once. It didn't do too much for me. Maybe it's time to give that one another spin and see if my opinion has changed...
                              "You don't have to mean it" is a gem of Keith's - the only tune worth it on the album IMO, apart from "Flip the Switch".

"Saint of me" and "Out of Control" are very good songs, but they'd have fitted Jagger's "Wandering Spirit" way better (a great solo album by the way).

I haven't played "Bigger Bang" since 2005, just like I've left "Bridges to Babylon" on the road side.

I can't consider "Their Satanic Majesties' Request" as a bad one, though it's a weird piece in the 60s Stones puzzle.

I even still dig the 2 parts of "Sing This All Together". "2000 Light Years from Home" and Wyman's "In Another Land"
                              may ride the 1967 sci-fi wave, but they are successful attempts at that genre.
                              "She"s a Rainbow" and "2000 Man" are just marvelous, aren't they?
                              "The Lantern" and "Gomper" don't really sound bad, do they?
                              "Citadel", if you take out the horns, has a classic riff in it and the guitar sounds really sharp.
                              "On with the Show" is full inspiration and could have been included in Beggar's Banquet", couldn't it?

Well, it's not my fave Stones album by far but I still think it's a great album, though fairly atypical.
                              I even almost bought the 8-CD Satanic Sessions box set 14 years ago.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Satan
                                Ironically enough, some of the better songs from the Bigger Bang sessions did NOT make the album....
                                Well, this one is nothing out of the ordinary, but could have replaced a few tunes in there, for sure!

Comment

Working...