Warning: Undefined array key "birthday" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/notice.php on line 1 "The Rolling Stones" Thread - The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Rolling Stones" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I fully expected to give Mick and Keith more of my money before the holidays.

I want to see the documentary that went with the Cuba show, Olé Olé Olé: A Trip Across Latin America
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Why does anybody need 12 identical harmonicas? I could see carrying a case full of them if they were different sizes or some other thing that made them sound different, but those all look like the exact same thing to me.

The blues album sounds like a great idea. Steel Wheels might have been a better album if they had included the blues songs they recorded in those sessions, and replaced a couple of the "fillers" that ended up on that record. Instead of relegating the blues numbers to B-sides (and that 2 disc edition of the Flashpoint album)
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Each harmonica is in a different key.
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• That would make sense, but since those all appear to be the same size, and the combs look the same on all of them (at least the ones that can be seen) how could they be different keys? It's not like you can really do much "tuning" on a harmonica, apart from what you do with your mouth. And there's only so many parts to it....

...not that I'm an expert. I have a harmonica, but I can't play it for shit.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Keef just posted

"My new BLUE picks arrived!"

And check out the document in the pic...

Comment

• Originally posted by FORD View Post

...not that I'm an expert. I have a harmonica, but I can't play it for shit.
              The more you drink the better it will sound!
              American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Originally posted by DONNIEP View Post
                  The more you drink the better it will sound!
                  That's what I usually say about country music

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Originally posted by twonabomber View Post
                    Keef just posted

"My new BLUE picks arrived!"

And check out the document in the pic...

I'm trying to figure out the signature on that contract. It doesn't look like any of the band members names. Or Andrew Oldham, for that matter. Who else would have been signing contracts for the Stones in 1962?
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Release date for new album is rumored to be December 2.

Desert Trip rehearsals taking place in LA.
                      Last edited by twonabomber; 09-30-2016, 08:30 PM.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out the signature on that contract. It doesn't look like any of the band members names. Or Andrew Oldham, for that matter. Who else would have been signing contracts for the Stones in 1962?
                        Look at the date of the contract in the top right corner. June 27, 1962
                        July 12, 1962 (Thursday)
                        The Rolling Stones made their debut at London's Marquee Club, Number 165 Oxford Street, opening for the first time under that name, for Long John Baldry. Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, Keith Richards, Ian Stewart, Dick Taylor and Tony Chapman had played together for the group Blues Incorporated before creating a new name inspired by the Muddy Waters 1950 single "Rollin' Stone"
                        That contract pre dates The Stones.
                        Last edited by cadaverdog; 09-30-2016, 08:44 PM.
                        Beware of Dog

Comment

• It's a little more complicated than that. Blues Incorporated was Alexis Korner's thing. It was more of a revolving door collective than a permanent band, though Brian Jones, Ian Stewart and Charlie Watts were consistently in the lineup for a while. Mick & Keith originally had their own thing going called "Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys" and Dick Taylor was part of that as well. They all eventually started jamming with the others at Korner's club but were never formally members of Blues Incorporated. Brian & Stu wanted to break away from that and put their own band together, so they joined forces with Mick & Keef & Dick Taylor, who would soon be replaced by Bill Wyman (who was playing with another group, but figured he might as well joiin the Stones, as he was paying their rent and they were using his amplifiers anyway) It took them a little longer to get Charlie away from Alexis Korner, so in the meantime they played a few gigs as "The Rollin' Stones" with other drummers, Tony Chapman being the first, and Mick Avory (later of The Kinks) a while later.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• So if the blues album happened by "accident" and the Stones still have another album of new material in the works... I sure wish Keef would bring this one back and finish writing the damn lyrics for it.

easily could have been the best track on Dirty Work, if they had bothered finishing it.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Captioned "Coming October 6." First single? Or a warm-up club show the day before the first Desert Trip weekend?

Last edited by twonabomber; 10-02-2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Someone on Shidoobee says it's Lewis Brian Hopkins Jones.

Comment

Working...
                                X