Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Rolling Stones" Thread

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Damn, I really wish El Mocambo 1977 would be the next "Vault" release. (yeah, 4 songs are on Love You Live, but they released an 81 show that had songs on Still Life, so that shouldn't stop them)

3. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

big fatty (03-06-2014)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think this may have been the only time they played this live......

5. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

big fatty (03-06-2014),Jérôme Frenchise (03-06-2014)

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-23-2020 @ 03:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Cool Silver train

They just played SILVER TRAIN the other night in Japan. Their official YouTube channel uploaded an old promo of it. Love this tune.

Last edited by big fatty; 03-06-2014 at 01:55 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-23-2020 @ 03:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Cool June, 3, 1972.

Ran across an old article about the first show of the Exile On Main Street Tour in Vancouver where they had a riot.

( Not sure if it has already been posted as it is a long thread but figured I'd post the link anyways in case any Stones fans want to read it. )

http://pasttensevancouver.wordpress....-fighting-men/

Here is an audio bootleg of the show recently uploaded.

Last edited by big fatty; 03-06-2014 at 01:52 AM.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-12-2014 @ 11:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 757 Posts

Rare stones never hurt, especially if you discover a gem along the way.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Now, this is awful... Condolencess, MR Jagger...

News
    World news
    United States

Designer L'Wren Scott, partner of Mick Jagger, found dead in New York

Jagger ‘completely shocked and devastated’ after Scott, 49, reportedly found hanged in her Chelsea apartment

Share 416
    inShare2
    Email

Jon Swaine in New York and Rosie Swash in London
    theguardian.com, Monday 17 March 2014 17.07 GMT
    Jump to comments (27)

L'Wren Scott with Mick Jagger. L'Wren Scott with Mick Jagger. Photograph: Ian Langsdon/EPA

L’Wren Scott, the designer, former model and partner of Sir Mick Jagger, was found dead at her home in New York on Monday morning in an apparent suicide.

A spokesman for Jagger told the Guardian in an email that the singer, who had just arrived in Australia on tour, was “completely shocked and devastated by the news”.

New York police sources said that Scott, 49, was found by her assistant at her apartment on 11th Avenue in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighbourhood at about 10am.

An NYPD spokesman confirmed in a statement that “officers discovered a 49-year-old female unconscious and unresponsive” and that she was declared dead at the scene. Scott is believed to have been found hanged. “The investigation is ongoing and the medical examiner will determine the cause of death,” said the police spokesman.

Scott created acclaimed womenswear collections, and styled some of Hollywood’s biggest names. She also worked as a designer and consultant for costumes on several major films.

The most recent show for her eponymous collection was scheduled to take place in London during fashion week last month. However, it was abruptly cancelled, apparently due to “production delays”.

Jagger, with whom Scott had been romantically involved since 2001, had just arrived in Perth when he learned of her death. A spokeswoman for Scott was not available to discuss the incident.

Originally named Luann Bambrough, Scott was adopted and raised by Mormon parents in the city of Roy, in northern Utah, where she graduated from high school in 1985. Scott learned to sew and make clothes as a girl. She once said that her “frugal” upbringing – by a father who worked in insurance and was a bishop in the local Mormon temple, and a mother employed at the local bank – was influential on her future style.

Scott, who was 6ft 3in tall, was spotted at 17 by the photographer Bruce Weber, who cast her with a then-boyfriend in an advertisement for Calvin Klein. After Weber advised her to move to Paris for more modelling work, she scraped money together from babysitting jobs to buy a one-way ticket. Once in France she changed her name and modelled for Chanel. Her legs also made an appearance as the hands of a clock in a memorable advertisement for Pretty Polly tights made by British photographer David Bailey.

By 1994, tired of “being objectified” as a model and being told she was too tall for runway work, she moved to California and worked as a stylist with the acclaimed photographer Herb Ritts, for magazines such as Vanity Fair. She reportedly first met Jagger on a shoot with Ritts.

Scott also worked on costumes for Stanley Kubrick’s 1999 film Eyes Wide Shut, the 2007 ensemble blockbuster Ocean’s Thirteen, and Shine A Light, a 2008 documentary on the Rolling Stones that was directed by Martin Scorsese.

She was frequently reported to be on the verge of marrying Jagger, with whom she lived in London and France, and who was 21 years her senior. Yet even in 2010, nine years into their relationship, Jagger described her as someone he was “kind of dating”. Jerry Hall, his ex-wife, once reportedly said of Scott: “I think she’s better at dealing with him than I am.”

Early in their relationship, the couple denied rumours that Scott had become a Yoko Ono-style figure, critical of the appearance and raucous lifestyle still enjoyed by the veteran band. In a joint interview given to Womenswear Daily, she stressed the limits to her influence. “Mick really has his own style, and he is quite opinionated about how he wants to look,” she said. “At the end of the day, [the performer] has to feel good in it. It’s not you or I dancing and prancing out there.”

Scott launched her first collection as a designer in 2006 and had since styled a diverse range high-profile women such as first lady Michelle Obama, Oprah Winfrey, and A-List actors such as Angelina Jolie, Nicole Kidman, Amy Adams and Penelope Cruz, who all wore her work on red carpets. She was perhaps best-known for her so-called “headmistress” dress, a favourite of Madonna’s.

Working in an industry lambasted for its unrealistic portrayal of women, Scott won plaudits for her practical designs. “You have to think about your customers – they’re a huge variety of women, from across the world, with different needs, and in different shapes and sizes,” she told an interviewer in 2011. “I’m not interested in making clothes for 12-year-olds,” she said in 2006. “These are for women.”

Her designs were especially kind to tall women. Standing so tall herself and possessing, according to Vogue, 42in legs, she understood the need for elegant designs that flattered them. Scott channelled Golden Age Hollywood glamour both in her designs and in the clothes she wore, but offset her vampish designs with an approachable and open nature.

She was trusted by the celebrities she dressed, and carried that personal touch into her work as a designer. Being pictured on the red carpet as often as her clientele gave Scott an edge over her peers. In an industry in which designers often maintain an aloof distance from the public, Scott bridged the gap between womenswear and its wearers.

Despite being immersed in the money, glamour and absurdity of Hollywood, Scott once said that she preferred spending her weekends driving with Jagger to explore old castles and old churches. She frequently struck a thoughtful tone in interviews that set her apart.

“You’ll see the most perfect person and you are like, God, she’s, like, perfect,” she told Harpers Bazaar about her famous clients in 2011. “And then she’ll tell you everything that’s not perfect. Everyone has their own special set of problems – in their own minds.”

• In the UK, the Samaritans’ helpline is 08457 909090. In the US, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Both are available 24 hours a day.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-dead-new-york

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

How exactly does a 6'3" woman hang herself from a doorknob?

11. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Jack68 (05-11-2014)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

On her knees, scarf/rope tied to doorknob and around her neck, and leaning forward, putting tension on the scarf/rope. I don't watch CSI so someone will have to correct me.

But yeah, that's just awful. I had read on my FB that the show was cancelled, then on break at work when they ran the story on the news I only really heard "Jagger" and "girlfriend" and figured he got caught cheating again. Just got home and Googled it and saw the real story. Surprised she wasn't with him on tour.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

bought to tix last night (one minute after opening the website)

want to go with my daughter, like my dad went with me in the early 80's. sad shit...

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

STONES REVIEW

I have been to the concert last week in Berlin! the last time I saw them was in 1991. So now here I am with my daughter and my missus (payed a bit over 800$ for the tix) along with 22.000 people from 6 to 76. what an audience. in the VIP section are a view german celebs and right before the concert starts all the guys from AEROSMITH (with Liv Tyler) and the Scorpions enter the scene. they played the night before and obviously stayed to watch the show.

I don't want to go too deep into details, but I don't know how they fucking do it. it's some time machine thing or so. this band is so ridiculously good that it's unreal. and the best part of it. they are enjoying it. there is more interaction between Keef and Mick that night than probably was during the whole 80'ies. and it's not that they "deliver" or they "put on a great show". No...these old farts are just killing it and working their asses of for 2h and 15 minutes! is it perfect? hell no. mick fucked up some lines in Honky Tonk Women...Keef missed the very first chord in Start Me UP! but who gives a shite! it's a fucking blues band...still...and they rock!!!

and later in the show out comes Mick Taylor. and they show how the blues is played. three guitars and Mick on the harp...out comes Lisa Fisher and gets her solo spot and you think how did they manage to make aretha franklin sing backround for them. 22.000 people standing and dancing and singing along...and steven tyler dancing like crazy!

at one point of the show I looked over to my 19 years old daughter and I was missing my dad who died much too soon and who was there in 1965 when they destroyed the whole place after the Stones only played 20 minutes or so. with a tear in my eye I hoped he looked down from somewhere and was a proud father and grandfather.

I am very grateful that I had the chance to see them again. it was worth every penny because there are some things that money just can't buy.

15. 3 users say thank you to DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

ELVIS (06-15-2014),FORD (06-15-2014),Jérôme Frenchise (06-15-2014)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thank you DLN for this happy review. I'm glad you enjoyed that much!

They were in Paris this week-end. I'm sure you're right when you say the show is worth the ticket prices. But well, I paid 200 French francs in June 1990 to seee them, that was maybe $25 of those days - I dunno how much it would be today, but surely much less...

Long as Charlie can play like he still does - man how he hits his kit! -, the Stones will keep on rolling.

17. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (06-15-2014)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Bought this last week:

Sooooooooooooooooooo fucking sucked! The 1978 show from Dallas is way better. I don't know if that's due to a young(er) Keith or a uglier Mick but the Stones have become boring as they grown older.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Nice...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Kinda looks like a senior citizen's sneaker commercial...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You can buy DVDs with food stamps ??

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think the key to the 78 tour (and the resulting DVD) was Keef & Charlie.

Longtime Stones fans are well aware that Charlie "follows" Keef, and that's the foundation of the musical performance. And in 78 you had Keef fresh out of rehab and completely refreshed, which in turn led Charlie to pick up the pace and play some of the most furious drumming of his life.

Contrast that with some of the performances on the 75/76 tour when Keith was smacked up out of his mind, and Charlie (as a result) actually got "lost" at times.....

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    When you watch that '78 show from Dallas, Keith may have been smacked out of his gourd but when you examine his guitar playing especially on tunes like 'Honky Tonk Woman' and 'Beast Of Burden' Keith is just playing brilliantly and it seems to not have a care in the world. This one from Hyde Park and even the 'Shine A Light' DVD seemed all too canned. There is just no Stones spontaneity magic or it's rare. Keith steals the show from that '78 tour.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Put these guys out to the pasture along with the Who

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    When you watch that '78 show from Dallas, Keith may have been smacked out of his gourd but when you examine his guitar playing especially on tunes like 'Honky Tonk Woman' and 'Beast Of Burden' Keith is just playing brilliantly and it seems to not have a care in the world. This one from Hyde Park and even the 'Shine A Light' DVD seemed all too canned. There is just no Stones spontaneity magic or it's rare. Keith steals the show from that '78 tour.
    No, Keef got off the horse in 77. The prospect of actually going to prison over heroin was a convincing argument. If he was on anything in 1978, it strictly came out of a bottle.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    Put these guys out to the pasture along with the Who
    Difference between The Stones and The Who is that with the Stones you still have the core of the band intact. Yeah, they're showing their age somewhat, but as long as Keef & Charlie can still hear and "feel" each other on stage, they're still gonna bring it live. And Mick can still out-perform a lot of people that could be his grandchildren. (Hell some of them probably ARE)

Most of the "power" in the Who's sound came from Entwhistle and Moon. Daltrey's voice was great in 1971. Downright intolerable now. Which pretty much leaves Pete as the only viable member of the band. He can still play well enough, but it's not enough to carry the name "The Who".

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    No, Keef got off the horse in 77. The prospect of actually going to prison over heroin was a convincing argument. If he was on anything in 1978, it strictly came out of a bottle.
    Could be Bill Wyman then? Who knows? They played and sounded a lot better back in '78 then they do now.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You queers should get a room...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Last year's Stones show I saw in Toronto was much better than '05's Bigger Bang show I saw in Detroit. Detroit was early in the tour, maybe they weren't up to speed yet.

As for videos...I still like At The Max, probably because that was the first Stones tour I went to. The Copacabana Beach show from The Biggest Bang isn't bad either.

31. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (06-15-2014)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Most of the "power" in the Who's sound came from Entwhistle and Moon. Daltrey's voice was great in 1971. Downright intolerable now. Which pretty much leaves Pete as the only viable member of the band. He can still play well enough, but it's not enough to carry the name "The Who".
    It's their name to tarnish if that's what they're doing. Entwhistle didn't mind carrying on as The Who after Moon died so I doubt he'd have a problem with Daltrey and Townsend carrying on without him now. I haven't seen The Who live since 82 but I've heard them play at the Super Bowl a couple years ago and I thought they sounded fine.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't give a rat's ass about 77 or 78...that was last week and I was there...

34. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

ELVIS (06-16-2014)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

along with some other fans...

Last edited by DavidLeeNatra; 06-16-2014 at 03:23 AM.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Is that Jack Sparrow ??

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bonnie Raitt second from right?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Or her mom...

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

and bilbo baggin in the middle...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    I don't give a rat's ass about 77 or 78...that was last week and I was there...
    Fuck you, too.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Even in the 60s it sometimes took the Stones more than one album cycle to get a song right. This one turned out much better when it was re-recorded a year later for the Out Of Our Heads album......

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It sure sounds better on the "Out of our heads" album.

I think that it's Mick Jagger who badly wanted the band to play it, though both Keith and Brian seemed to get their kicks out of it.

It's funny how Keith started playing the "I'm free" riff in the beginning for a few seconds - but how high was he?...

Here's a version from a gig at the Olympia, Paris, in '66:

They played it close to Don Covay's original tune IMO. Even reproduced the goddamn backing falsetto. But hey, they were young...

Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 07-29-2014 at 09:11 AM.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They mostly played covers before they (Mick & Keith) were forced to write a song of theirs, locked up in their kitchen. They got out with "The Last time".

"Suzie Q" kicked ass:

I got this 4-track 7-inch 25 years ago:

Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 07-29-2014 at 09:45 AM.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Listening to their 1963-67, it's hard not to think about how different they would have sounded in those years with the gear that appeared in '68 onward...

I don't know how come this (the '71 Marquee Club gig) was in French TV's archives, but it was:

This is how I like them best, in the first half of the 70s - but so do most Stones fans.

The "Bitch"/"Brown Sugar" ending kicks ass!

46. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (08-24-2014)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'm not one to promote website promotions because most of shit and of course they sell your info to the NSA and the Illuminati (right, Trollvis?) but AllMusic.com has an interesting "giveaway" on some "vaulted Stones material.":

http://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/gi...81-cd-dvd-sets

I'm not sure about the quality of these DVD's but if they are anything like their 1978 Dallas show they may be worth looking into. The snippet here looks like it been refuckingdigitized or whatthefuckever.

So enter...or not. Either way these DVD make for some good Christmas prezzies (just like Jagger Incorporated planned). You hear me, Santa, you F A T fuck?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Love to get a poster of this:

You figure how much Jagger loves to whore out his band on merchandising shit like this would be available at a reasonable price.

Thread Information