• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    One of the last photos of Charlie Watts, with his lovely wife:

Classic dogs looking like their owners...

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Charlie did the impossible.... he made disco listenable....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

When Two Telecasters just ain't enough...... better make it three....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
            Without Charlie, might as well say the Stones are over.
            It's very surprising, as he hadn't been reported in such a bad state...

R.I.P. Mr Watts.
            Dunno about surprising. Irrespective of his condition being reported or not, he was 80 years old.

The Stones over? Well, they were prepared to go ahead and tour without Watts before he died...I tend to doubt his death will cause the band to fold.

Long as Mick and Keith are both still in it, The Rolling Stones can and will still be able to fill stadiums is my guess.

Personally, I can't imagine the Stones without Watts. Then again, I haven't had much use for the band since Wyman left. And even the last studio record Wyman played on...a bit weak. And none of the records subsequent sounded much better overall to me. Was glad I saw the Steel Wheels tour...but, that being said, I remember paying $50 for that (scalped) ticket in 1989 and being a bit "WTF?!?" over THAT price...ticket prices for this latest round of dates were starting at (legitimate/non-scalped)$350: how much money am I willing to pay to see the band (such as it is now) essay Satisfaction for the umpteenth million time?

Not nearly (like, not even close to) THAT fucking much...and that would have held true were Watts still alive and playing with the band.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

The Stones should have called it kaput back in 1998. Since then, everything they have done has been a parody of themselves. Fascist Mick and Junkie Keith are basically scam artist who know how to repackage the same ol shit and resell back to their fans for three times the price. I find their concerts to be incredibly boring, monotonous and predictable. Both of them are living in denial that you can run from age and the effects of time. Keith has slowed down quite bit on stage (even had a fall) and Mick's vocals are deafening bad. They both have more money than gawd and they can "remix" their entire back catalog (like that George Harrison thingy) and live off those royalties alone for the rest of their miserable years. They need to hang it up. Finish those 16 US tours dates they have lined up with Steve Jordan and call it a day.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                Finish those 16 US tours dates they have lined up with Steve Jordan and call it a day.
                That's what it looked like they were doing, even before Charlie died. This is about making up the dates from 2020. Doubt there will be any additional shows. They will probably do some sort of "60th anniversary show" in London in 2022, but other than that, "It's All Over Now"

Whether that lost studio album sees the light of day now.... supposedly Charlie's drum parts were already finished, so there's no reason not to release the damned thing.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Predictable...yeah, there's 9 or 10 songs that are always in the set. They've done a decent job of changing up the setlists a bit, not as much since the Licks tour though when each show featured three or four songs from a certain album. I'm not sure I drove all the way to New Jersey in '19 to hear Harlem Shuffle, but oh well.

I probably said it in this thread...they were pretty weak in '05. Keith was sloppy and Mick was turning his "R" into "W" ("I twy, twy, twy!") If someone would have asked me "should I go so I can say I've seen them?" in '05 I would have said skip it. It's gotten better since then.

Every time they end up at a new label there are re-releases. I bought the Virgin re-releases and haven't bothered with the Universal ones unless it's an expanded version. Or torrent that shit, they don't need the money.

Guy at work mentioned there is some good stuff being played on the Stones channel on Sirius. They don't play much from Shine A Light. Tracks from the Copacabana Beach show work better as a video, with that huge crowd adding to the spectacle. The audio by itself is just okay. They've always played a lot from Flashpoint.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

The late 70's was this band's heyday. After Wyman left they went to shit and they know it. I have their Dallas '78 show on DVD and whomever did the sound on that knew their shit (unlike those really shitty Prince early 80's DVD's which suck COVID dick). Also goes for that Koch Industries shit that slave FORD keeps on posting. Keith seemed to take his work a bit more seriously after his drug bust and Mick was playing to audiences to earn that Yankee dollar instead of stealing it with the overpriced reissue shit they sell now. And I'll still say Ron Wood was a disastrous choice for he always was the weakest link in the band and he proves it here.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Problem with the Stones channel on Sirius is all the live stuff they play is with Woody. They NEVER play any of the Mick Taylor stuff. I could understand that from a corporate entity like Sirius when it was all bootlegs, but they have since released "official" live albums from 1971/72/73 and of course "Get Your Ya-Yas Out" from 1969 was always available. How can you call yourselves a "Stones channel" and ignore their best live material?
                      Last edited by FORD; 09-05-2021, 09:59 PM.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

What if Keef sang the entire Voodoo Lounge album....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Bore Ring.

Let me know when they announce they are quitting for good.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Absolutely disgraceful

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I really wish I hadn't clicked on that. Pretty much confirms what I already said. It ain't the Stones without Charlie. They're going to make up the 2020 Covid dates, and then it's done. Just hope nobody else dies in the process... considering it's a bunch of guys in their late 70s playing a lot of venues in states where Delta Covid is running rampant.
                                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...