Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Nope!

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Fuck the Stones!: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-...rack-by-track/

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Get your own thread, goddamn it!

Who's Next was a great album, of course. Probably the second best album of 1971. Right behind Sticky Fingers. And the original lineup of The Who were one of the best bands ever. But they really deserve their own thread.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            Watching someone who annoys you self-destruct is a beautiful thing. Do Captain and Tenneil next Dave.
            Hey, fuck that...

...I like the Captain and Tenille.

Dave Grohl just bugs me. The Foo Fighters aren't even that fucking good, anyway. I'd honestly sooner listen to the Bee Gees.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
              So how do you expand an album that was all outtakes the first time around?? By adding another disc of outtakes, of course........

rollingstone.com
              Jon Blistein
              August 19, 2021 9:00AM ET
              Rolling Stones Drop Previously Unreleased Track ‘Living in the Heart of Love’ From ‘Tattoo You’ Reissue

40th-anniversary edition of 1981 album will come with rarities disc, live album recorded in London in 1982

The Rolling Stones will mark the 40th anniversary of their 1981 album, Tattoo You, with a reissue featuring a bonus disc filled with previously unreleased material. The set will arrive on October 22nd via Polydor/Interscope/UMe.

To accompany the announcement, the Stones released “Living in the Heart of Love,” one of the nine previously unreleased songs that will appear on the bonus disc, Lost & Found. The nine songs were all originally recorded while the Stones were making Tattoo You, but were recently completed and enhanced with additional vocals and guitar by the Stones.

Along with “Living in the Heart of Love,” Lost & Found will feature a rendition of Jimmy Reed’s 1963 track “Shame, Shame, Shame” and a rendition of Dobie Gray’s 1973 soul tune, “Drift Away.” The disc will even include an alternate version of one of Tattoo You’s most famous tracks, “Start Me Up,” that incorporates some reggae influences.

Along with Lost & Found, a super deluxe edition of the Tattoo You 40th-anniversary set will come with a live album, Still Life: Wembley Stadium 1982. The concert was recorded in June of that year on the London stop of the band’s Tattoo You tour and boasts a 26-song set that includes plenty of Stones hits, plus covers of songs by the Temptations, Eddie Cochran, and the Miracles.

The Tattoo You 40th-anniversary set will be released in several physical formats. The two-CD set will feature just the remastered album and Lost & Found, while the four-CD box set will include the original album, Lost & Found, and the Wembley concert. The album will also be pressed in several vinyl formats, including a five-LP boxset that also comes with a hardback book featuring rare photos and interviews with producer Chris Kimsey and photographer Hubert Kretzschmar.

Tattoo You 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe Four-CD Set Tracklist

Disc 1 – Tattoo You (2021 Remaster)
              1. “Start Me Up” – Remastered 2021
              2. “Hang Fire” – Remastered 2021
              3. “Slave” – Remastered 2021
              4. “Little T&A” – Remastered 2021
              5. “Black Limousine” – Remastered 2021
              6. “Neighbours” – Remastered 2021
              7. “Worried About You” – Remastered 2021
              8. “Tops” – Remastered 2021
              9. “Heaven” – Remastered 2021
              10. “No Use in Crying” – Remastered 2021
              11. “Waiting on a Friend” – Remastered 2021

Disc 2 – Lost & Found: Rarities
              1. “Living in the Heart of Love”
              2. “Fiji Jim”
              3. “Troubles a’ Comin”
              4. “Shame Shame Shame”
              5. “Drift Away”
              6. “It’s a Lie”
              7. “Come to the Ball”
              8. “Fast Talking Slow Walking”
              9. “Start Me Up” (Early Version)

Disc Three – “Still Life” (Wembley Stadium Concert 1982)
              1. “Under My Thumb”
              2. “When the Whip Comes Down”
              3. “Let’s Spend the Night Together”
              4. “Shattered”
              5. “Neighbours”
              6. “Black Limousine”
              7. “Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)”
              8. “Twenty Flight Rock”
              9. “Going to a Go Go”
              10. “Chantilly Lace”
              11. “Let Me Go”
              12. “Time Is on My Side”
              13. “Beast of Burden”
              14. “Let It Bleed”

Disc 4 – “Still Life” (Wembley Stadium Concert 1982)
              1. “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”
              2. “Band Introductions”
              3. “Little T&A”
              4. “Tumbling Dice”
              5. “She’s So Cold”
              6. “Hang Fire”
              7. “Miss You”
              8. “Honky Tonk Women”
              9. “Brown Sugar”
              10. “Start Me Up”
              11. “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”
              12. “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing here that I haven't heard before, but it's good to see "Drift Away" and "Living In The Heart of Love" finally get an official release. As well as the original "Start Me Up" demo from 1975. Seeing some of the other titles on the bonus disc also brings into context that earlier leak of three albums worth of outtakes a few months back. Mick's clearly been busy in this project for a while, and he took his one bonus disc out of that pool of material.

Only thing missing here - the original mix of Neighbors that's all about the guitars, instead of too many keyboards, sax solos, and Charlie's drums mixed WAY too loud. Sadly, I guess were stuck with the muddy bootleg version of that one.
              Meh.

My cd of Tattoo You that I picked up in the 1990s still sounds fine.

As for the Wembley gig, virtually all the gigs supporting the Tattoo You album sounded the same. So, between the Let's Spend The Night Together dvd, the Hampton dvd and my Seattle and Houston dvd boots I gots more than plenty 1981 Stones shows. Plus, wasn't Wembley already released on DVD? I seem to remember from watching it that the band sounded a little rusty, possibly from a slight break/layoff between the end of the US dates on the 1981 tour and the Wembley gig, which (if memory serves) was several months later.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

So far, the only official DVDs from the 1981/82 tour were Hampton VA which was recorded on Keef's birthday 12/18/81. And the Roundhay Park/Leeds DVD recorded on the day before Mick's birthday 7/25/82. You might be confusing Wembley with that one. Or you might have seen a bootleg version of it... Actually I'm not sure I even have that one.... haven't dug into my Stones DVD boots for a while....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Nov 2004

Disc 2 will have no interest as the tracks were leaked a few weeks ago (and they aren't of much interest to me BTW).

Can't wait for the Wembley concert on the contrary... It will surely feel like rediscovering Still Life, with lots of bonus tracks. They were in really great shape back then.
                  posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                  posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                    So far, the only official DVDs from the 1981/82 tour were Hampton VA which was recorded on Keef's birthday 12/18/81. And the Roundhay Park/Leeds DVD recorded on the day before Mick's birthday 7/25/82. You might be confusing Wembley with that one. Or you might have seen a bootleg version of it... Actually I'm not sure I even have that one.... haven't dug into my Stones DVD boots for a while....

I was confusing Wembley with Leeds.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Nov 2004

Part of the June 26 1982 Wembley show:

posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                      posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Looks like they had the same film crew for both the UK shows. The camera man who really liked closeups of faces, rather than actually showing them playing their instruments. Looks they had both Bobby Keys and the other dude on saxophones. Didn't think Bobby was on that tour at all. And the European leg of the tour was the beginning of Chuck Leavell's time with the band (though he looks more like Brad Delp here) replacing Ian McLagan who played keyboards on the US tour.

So the fact that this film exists probably means they'll be putting out an official DVD of the show right around the same time.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Nov 2004

Ian Stewart was there too.
                          Not sure the sax on Angie was a good choice.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Nov 2004

The complete show in Pontiac, November 30 1981, plus some 30-minute backstage footage, if you like watching Bill Wyman play ping-pong.

Dunno why there are those crappy traces on the screen though.

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Wow.

Watts, DEAD.

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Charlie Watts, the Rolling Stones Drummer and Inimitable Backbone, Dead at 80

August 24, 2021 12:53PM ET
                                Charlie Watts, the Rolling Stones Drummer and Inimitable Backbone, Dead at 80

Rock & roll legend “passed away peacefully in a London hospital earlier [Tuesday] surrounded by his family,” according to publicist
                                By Joe Gross

Charles Robert “Charlie” Watts, the Rolling Stones drummer, has died. He was 80.

Watts’ publicist confirmed his death in a statement. “It is with immense sadness that we announce the death of our beloved Charlie Watts,” it read. “He passed away peacefully in a London hospital earlier today surrounded by his family.” The statement referred to Watts as “one of the greatest drummers of his generation” and closed by requesting that “the privacy of his family, band members, and close friends is respected at this difficult time.”

Watts’ death comes several weeks after it was announced that the drummer would not be able to partake in the Rolling Stones’ No Filter tour of U.S. stadiums. “Charlie has had a procedure which was completely successful, but his doctors this week concluded that he now needs proper rest and recuperation,” a rep for the band said in a statement at the time. “With rehearsals starting in a couple of weeks it’s very disappointing to say the least, but it’s also fair to say no one saw this coming.”

His light touch, singular rhythmic sense, and impeccable feel, as heard on canonical rock songs such as “Paint It, Black,” “Gimme Shelter” and “Brown Sugar,” made him both the engine that powered the Stones’ music and one of the most famous and respected drummers of all time.

As Keith Richards said in 1979, “Everybody thinks Mick and Keith are the Rolling Stones. If Charlie wasn’t doing what he’s doing on drums, that wouldn’t be true at all. You’d find out that Charlie Watts IS the Stones.”

And yet, Watts was very different than the rest of the Stones. His dapper dress sense — for which Vanity Fair elected Watts to the International Best Dressed List Hall of Fame — was ultimately more in line with the jazz he loved and sometimes played than the rock & roll. Watts also famously remained faithful to Shirley Shepherd, his wife since 1964, which set him somewhat apart from his excessive, hard-partying bandmates.

Unlike born road warriors such as Keith Richards, Watts often seemed uninterested in touring and gave the distinct impression the Stones was a job more than a calling or a lifestyle choice. His battle with drugs and alcohol in the mid-Eighties was, like many things about the man, largely private. “I’m big on letting people do what they want, which doesn’t make for good bandleaders,” he told Rolling Stone in 1991. “If I had led the Rolling Stones, they wouldn’t have gotten anywhere. We’d still be running around trying to find an amp, 30 years later.”

Watts was born June 2, 1941 in London, the son of a lorry driver. A jazz fan and 78 collector from an early age (Miles Davis, Dexter Gordon, and Charlie Parker were particular favorites), he took up the drums around age 14, sleeping in his favorite suit now and then to give it the same look as Parker’s.

Watts played in jazz combos until 1962 when he started splitting his time between playing in Alexis Korner’s Blues Incorporated and working at an ad agency graphic designer.

Watts was not the Stones’ first drummer. The band played its first gig in 1962 with the lineup of singer Mick Jagger, pianist Ian Stewart, guitarists Keith Richards and Brian Jones, bassist and future Pretty Things leader Dick Taylor, and drummer and future Kink Mick Avory.

Within months Avory was out, Watts was in and he played his first gig with the Stones on January 12, 1963, at the Ealing Blues Club. Their first single, a cover of Chuck Berry’s “Come On” was released in June 1963. “It’s All Over Now,” their first UK no. 1, arrived in June 1964. (“I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” driven by Watts’s relentless pound, hit No. 1 in the US in May 1965.

For all of his low-key skill behind the kit, Watts seemed well aware that he was an irreplaceable element of the Stones’ sound.

As one famous story from the band’s heyday goes, Jagger once phoned Watts’ hotel room in the midst of an all-night party asking “Where’s my drummer?” Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: “Don’t ever call me your drummer again. You’re my fucking singer!”

As much as Jagger’s lyrics or Richards’ riffs, Watts’s timekeeping on key Stones songs made them key Stones songs. The loose, almost jazzy feel on “19th Nervous Breakdown,” his groove-lock with Richards on “Beasts of Burden,” his extraordinary control with a very odd rhythm on “Get Off My Cloud,” the bounce of “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” his ice-cold snare on “Gimme Shelter” — all of these are master-classes in serving the song and shaping it at the same time.

In addition to his brilliant drumming, Watts also used his design skills to design various tour stages, including the 1975 lotus stage, the ‘89/’90 Steel Wheels tour, the Bridges to Babylon Tour, the Licks Tour, and the Bigger Bang Tour.

Away from the day job, Watts was a frequent jazz player. In 1986, he debuted the 32-piece Charlie Watts Orchestra, which was full of contemporary British jazz players. In 1991, with the Charlie Watts Quintet, he released “From One Charlie. . . .,” a tribute to Charlie Parker which included his little-seen Sixties children’s book “Ode to a Highflying Bird.”

In June 2004, Watts was diagnosed with throat cancer, which was treated and went into remission, which seemed to bring a renewed energy to the Stones, with whom Watts continued to play for his entire career.

When not playing music, Watts and his wife Shirley owned an Arabian horse farm. The couple has one daughter, Serafina, and a grandchild, Charlotte.

“I love this band, but it doesn’t mean everything to me,” Watts said in 1981. “I always think this band is going to fold up all the time — I really do. I never thought it would last five minutes, but I figured I’d live that five minutes to the hilt because I love them. I don’t care if I retire now, but I don’t know what I’d do if I stopped doing this. I’d go mad.”
                                Last edited by FORD; 08-24-2021, 01:17 PM.
                                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...