X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
    Just side two of that record is brilliant. Great album to put on when you're coming down from a great high.
    Side 2 I grew to appreciate more as the years passed. Tops is still a bit weaker than the rest of the side to my ears.

Side 1 has tracks I tended to listen to less as the years passed. Black Limousine far as the backing track goes is too pedestrian, Stones-wise. Neighbours tends to grate on me these days.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mushroom
      Commando
      • Jul 2009

Maybe Mick, Keef and Kristy have this life hack figured out

IMG_5879.jpg

IMG_5879.jpg
      Last edited by Mushroom; 08-31-2023, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

See this is the problem with your boring Boomer generation. Not one of you knows where side 2 of Tattoo You is coming from.

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

See this is the problem with your boring Boomer generation. Not one of you knows where side 2 of Tattoo You is coming from.
          I think I'm falling in love with you.

Today, I have to break the news to my wife that I want to leave her and my daughter for an online Rotharmy poster named Kristy who likes getting high to Side Two of TATTOO YOU.

When she gets angry, I'll tell her that although I'm "Worried About You", my online time with Kristy is Tops and makes me feel like I'm in Heaven. She'll get sad, but I'll assure her that there's No Use in Crying and that all this time I've been Waiting On a Friend.
          Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
          Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Mushroom
            Commando
            • Jul 2009

Rikk, you forgot you are sacrificing your family for Little T&A

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

What will the Neighbours think?
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I think most here are GenZ. like you and your Canadian frozen hillbilly and bad-toothed Brit ex-lovers...

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
                  Rikk, you forgot you are sacrificing your family for Little T&A
                  Originally posted by twonabomber
                  What will the Neighbours think?
                  They'll think I'm being a Slave.
                  Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    I don't know about the album but for the record I can confirm that the male platypus does have balls although they are internal as it his penis most of the time.

Much like Sammy Hagar...

Comment

• Rikk
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      Much like Sammy Hagar...
                      I knew Sammy didn't have balls the minute I heard WHEN IT'S LOVE. My 12-year-old self threw up and thought, "This is the band that made UNCHAINED?"
                      Roth Army Militia

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Rikk
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                          Well...that is NOT Charlie. (They did say Charlie had recorded a few things before passing that they were going to use.) I guess that is Steve Jordan.

It sounds like standard latter-day Stones (DON'T STOP, RAIN WILL FALL)...but I can already tell that I'm going to miss Charlie's swing in his playing.

I am intrigued that McCartney is on at least one track. (Possibly Ringo too, so the rumor goes.)

I've been listening to a lot of albums I personally love by The Stones in the last couple of years, especially with the most excellent reissues (with finished outtakes, Mick doing new vocals in some cases...y'know, how Van Halen SHOULD be doing it.) And I've probably, by doing this, set my standards too high. There's no way they can make albums with the kind of grit, danger and inspired roots sounds they did in the late-60s & 1970s. Besides the obvious classics from the 1968-1972 period (when they really had a right to call themselves "the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world), I've been enjoying:

. GOAT'S HEAD SOUP
                          . IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL
                          . BLACK 'N' BLUE (some people bitch about this album, but I love it)
                          . EMOTIONAL RESCUE (I like it more than SOME GIRLS...attack me all you want)
                          . TATTOO YOU (outtakes from the previously-mentioned albums)

And I know, there's no way they could make albums like these again. But...who knows? Since they've been in the studio, mixing & overdubbing outtakes from almost all of these albums in recent years, maybe some of the excellence on these tapes could rub off on them when it comes to making new songs. But I doubt it.

People say there hasn't been good new Stones music in decades...but if one listens to all the amazing leftovers from EXILE, GOAT'S, SOME GIRLS (not as many great outtakes from this set, but some good stuff) and in the new TATTOO YOU set, I would argue that we're getting more good "new" Stones music in recent years than in the decades before it.

I'll get the new Stones album. I have everything else they've ever released. But I'll get more excited when they finally put together a box set from IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL or BLACK 'N' BLUE...or even an EMOTIONAL RESCUE box set. There are still a ton of good outtakes from those albums (in rough versions) floating around on bootleg or YouTube.
                          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

By the way, the recent CD/Blu-Ray release, GRRR Live!, was truly excellent. While the band hasn't made a good studio album in ages, they've still had some good concerts. And this 2012 concert from New Jersey is really pretty great. It's not 1972 level live Stones, but the evening I spent in my home theater blasting this was most enjoyable.

The version of MIDNIGHT RAMBLER they play with Mick Taylor guesting on guitar is truly stunning...one of the best versions of this song they ever did (and I'm a huge GET YER YA-YA'S OUT fan).
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                              Well...that is NOT Charlie. (They did say Charlie had recorded a few things before passing that they were going to use.) I guess that is Steve Jordan.
                              Sounds like an outtake from Richard's Main Offender.

Once again, the Stones rip off their fans. You know, like how Van Halen does.

Yet, not one of you cretins notice a pattern here.

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Once again, the Stones rip off their fans. You know, like how Van Halen does. Yet, not one of you cretins notice a pattern here.
                                I don't really see the connection. I do agree that the new album will probably be typical newer Stones, sub-par to the MAX.

But the gap between classic Stones and latter-day Stones is nowhere near as big as the gap between Dave Van Halen and Hagar Van Halen. I can't believe the same band (although, it's really not) made both WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST and FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE. One album is mind-blowingly awesome and the other is pure mediocrity & embarrassing.

Also, it's not fair to lump The Stones in with Van Halen when it comes to how they treat their legacy. The Stones have released a ton of CDs & Blu-Rays of unreleased live shows, remastered/remixed very well. They've also released excellent box sets of a lot of their classic albums with some excellent, newly-finished outtakes from these albums.

Meanwhile, Van Halen have a spoiled, fat rich kid as their ambassador, proudly telling fans "don't hold your breath" to hear anything from the archives. They hate their fans.

The Stones are way better to hardcore fans than Van Halen are.
                                Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...