Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Rolling Stones" Thread

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

On Air is sitting on the counter and I haven't listened to it yet.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

More No Filter tour dates

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    The Stones are still a great act to see. They still deliver the goods and still sound great.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

And now "live" from Keef's basement....

Not really anything you haven't heard before, just some raw Exile demo stuff. Not sure how this tape just surfaced recently, considering Nicky Hopkins has been dead a while now, but apparently this was a tape he smuggled out with him......

The one thing this tape prove is how criminally they treated Mick Taylor on the official studio releases. Just listen to "Rip this Joint" on this tape, and note the difference in the guitar tracks.

About 19 minutes in, they start playing a ballad around the same tempo of "Angie" or "Wild Horses", though it's neither of those songs. Keef, Mick Taylor, Hopkins, Bill & Charlie all sounding great here, so surprising that it never made it to the album. Maybe they just had too many slow songs on the record already?
    Last edited by FORD; 02-28-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Goddamn it, when I find out who the RIAA troll is on this board I'm going to cut their head off and shit down their throat. Die in a fire Nazi YouTube destroyers.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Keith Richards Apologizes to Mick Jagger for Vasectomy Joke

Keith Richards apologized to Mick Jagger for joking in a recent Wall Street Journal interview that his 73-year-old bandmate should get a vasectomy. Jagger and girlfriend Melanie Hamrick welcomed their first child (and Jagger's eighth child) Deveraux in December 2016.

"Mick's a randy old bastard," the Rolling Stones guitarist said in the profile that published Wednesday. "It's time for the snip—you can't be a father at that age. Those poor kids!" After the interview was printed, Richards issued a statement apologizing for suggesting that Jagger undergo a vasectomy.

"I deeply regret the comments I made about Mick in the WSJ which were completely out of line. I have of course apologized to him in person," Richards tweeted.

Richards' swipe at Jagger didn't prevent the Rolling Stones from announcing a European leg of their No Filter Tour earlier this week, an 11-date trek that includes the band's first U.K. gigs in five years.

Elsewhere in the interview, Richards promised Rolling Stones fans that a new album from the band will arrive, eventually. "I'm going to sound like Trump – 'It will happen; don't worry about it' – but it's in the early stages," he said. "We have some stuff down, which is very interesting. It's more difficult for us to write together the further apart we are, but it also has its benefits in that we come back to it from a different angle."

The Rolling Stones last released Blue and Lonesome, their album of blues covers, in December 2016.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Keith Richards Apologizes to Mick Jagger for Vasectomy Joke

Keith Richards apologized to Mick Jagger for joking in a recent Wall Street Journal interview that his 73-year-old bandmate should get a vasectomy. Jagger and girlfriend Melanie Hamrick welcomed their first child (and Jagger's eighth child) Deveraux in December 2016.

"Mick's a randy old bastard,"
    Now we know who Keef was trying to sing about here.....

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not very encouraging comments from Charlie though....

theguardian.com
    Charlie Watts: it wouldn't bother me if Rolling Stones split
    Mark Brown
    2/27/18

Charlie Watts, the 76-year-old Rolling Stones drummer, who with his septuagenarian colleagues has announced the band’s first UK dates for five years, has said that if the band ended tomorrow that would be fine.

“I love playing the drums and I love playing with Mick and Keith and Ronnie, I don’t know about the rest of it,” he said. “It wouldn’t bother me if the Rolling Stones said that’s it ... enough.”

The Stones have announced they will be playing in London, Manchester, Edinburgh and Cardiff during May and June, with tickets going on sale on 2 March. Given that they formed the band 56 years ago and their combined ages are 294, that is somewhat remarkable.

“I don’t know what I would do if I stopped,” Watts said. “Keith is a great one for saying once you’re going, keep going. The big worry for me is being well enough. We don’t work like we used to fortunately. There are huge gaps between each show.”

Many musicians and artists of a certain age would now be considering their legacy but not Watts, who said he was amazed at the reaction to David Bowie’s death. “I thought people would have been very sad obviously, and he was a lovely guy and he wrote a couple of good songs. But for me, he wasn’t this musical genius.”

Watts said he had no idea if the current “No Filter” tour would be the last. “For me, I would like to be standing on Sunday 8 July at the end of the show in Warsaw. That’s as far as I can see.”

The hard-living days are long over, commented Watts, who said he had not drunk alcohol or smoked for some time. “We are getting to that elderly period, so it’s a good thing not to. When you’re 40 and you’ve got a hangover you get up and have another drink and you’re off again. I don’t think we could do it nowadays ... at this age. Smoking and drinking are not like they were in the 50s. In the 40s and 50s every film star smoked. You’d never see a film star now drinking or smoking, it’s not fashionable, I’m glad to say. In another way it has ruined jazz clubs ... they are totally unlike what I would consider a club. They have become very clinical.”

If the band ever call it a day he hopes it will be without rancour. “I would hate it to dissolve not amicably. I would like Mick to say, or me or Keith or whoever ... I don’t want to do it any more, for whatever reason, and we just say that’s it. I wouldn’t want it to be an argument or whatever.”

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Charlie has said that for a long time. I think he owns thoroughbreds, he'd probably rather tend to those.

The Keith comment and apology made me LOL. After 50 years you can't bust a friend's chops?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Charlie being Charlie. A lot of these guys love doing the shows but hate all the traveling and waiting around. For many, the show is the only good thing about being on the road.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Charlie has said that for a long time. I think he owns thoroughbreds, he'd probably rather tend to those.

The Keith comment and apology made me LOL. After 50 years you can't bust a friend's chops?
    They were talking about this comment on Danny Bonaduce's show this morning. Danny thought the part that might have offended Mick was when Keef said "poor kids". Though realistically, what are the odds that Mick will be alive to see this kid graduate from high school? He's in good health for 73, but 91 is still statistically a long shot.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    They were talking about this comment on Danny Bonaduce's show this morning. Danny thought the part that might have offended Mick was when Keef said "poor kids". Though realistically, what are the odds that Mick will be alive to see this kid graduate from high school? He's in good health for 73, but 91 is still statistically a long shot.
    What's even more amazing is Danny Bonaduce is still alive.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Actually that's true, considering two of his TV siblings have died. I'm sure even Danny didn't think he would outlive them. He's managed to stay sober for quite a while now, even while working at a radio station that brands it's own microbrew and sponsors whiskey tasting events.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The time of the member Birthday threads are long gone here so I turned fucking 50 these Days. (With Matt White on the forgotten day in February)

Got 2tix for the Stones Gig in June. Great present. My third show and I'm looking forward to it!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

16. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-04-2018)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Finally some decent sound quality outtakes from the Undercover sessions...

And this song, though obviously not finished in the lyrical department, was better than most of the tracks that made the record. Not sure why it got abandoned......

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Actually that's true, considering two of his TV siblings have died. I'm sure even Danny didn't think he would outlive them. He's managed to stay sober for quite a while now, even while working at a radio station that brands it's own microbrew and sponsors whiskey tasting events.
    Well it's always good to see a person who had a lot of problems get their shit together. Good to hear Danny found his niche and is doing well.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Bought the Spanish version of Sticky Fingers a month ago in Soho. Funny how they thought this sleeve looked less shocking than the famous one they'd censored.
    It's the Brown Sugar they played at Keith's Bday with Clapton on guitar, the rest is the actual album.

Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 03-08-2018 at 06:06 PM.

20. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-09-2018)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I knew the Spanish album had the alternate cover, but I didn't know it had the Clapton version of Brown Sugar. Didn't think that had an official release until the recent "Sticky Fingers" remaster w/the bonus disks. (and of course dozens of bootlegs)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    And this song, though obviously not finished in the lyrical department, was better than most of the tracks that made the record. Not sure why it got abandoned......

The music and tempo sound like something that was battered about during the Emotional Rescue sessions, a la Where The Boys Go or Summer Romance, although the production sounds like it was recorded around the time of Undercover.

Honestly, it smacks of a jam the band were doing just to warm up, rather than an actual backing track. I mean, even knowing it was a backing track for a tune that never came to completion, even for the Stones it sounds a bit standard by the time 1982 rolled around (as in, I can't exactly agree that it comes across as much better than the other tracks on the Undercover record...if anything, it comes across like a slightly faster cousin to She Was Hot).

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

"She Was Hot" was actually a hybrid of two early tracks in the session. The early versions of that song were a bit slower tempo....

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Meanwhile, they were working on a faster song around the same time, the working title was "Chainsaw Rocker"....

Seems to me like they kept the tempo & rhythm guitar here and morphed the two together.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Still no signs of progress on that supposed new studio album of original material from the Stones, but they are resuming the Vault releases....

Though it has the same title of a live album released in the late 90s, this will probably be a different or at least expanded format from that, as the 90s version was a single CD while this version will have one package with a DVD & 2 audio CD's and a 3 LP vinyl edition Not a lot of details about the contents on the Stones website, but here's what they have to say about it, so far...

No Security captures a stand-out Stones show, with the band on searing form during the closing leg of their American tour in San Jose.

Treating the crowd to an up-close and personal experience and leaving a frenzy in their wake.

The set list spans from the mid-sixties hit singles to the Bridges to Babylon album, including a bluesy, dramatic version of ‘Midnight Rambler’, a dark and swaggering ‘Out of Control’, and the rarely performed live, ‘Some Girls’ and ‘Saint of Me’. The show was an electrifying, anthem-packed, cross generational hot ticket, concluding yet another chapter from the band that wrote the book on rock ‘n’ roll.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And in other news, here's a little something for the 1%.....

planetrock.com
    The Rolling Stones to release limited-edition 15-album vinyl box set
    5-6 minutes

The Rolling Stones have announced a lavish box set called ‘The Studio Albums Vinyl Collection 1971-2016’.

As the title suggests, the 15-album box set contains every Rolling Stones studio album from 1971’s ‘Sticky Fingers’ right up to 2016’s covers album ‘Blue & Lonesome’ on heavyweight 180-gram vinyl.

Each limited-edition box set is individually numbered and the albums are housed in faithful and intricate original packaging replications.

‘Some Girls’ comes housed in the replica design including 20 cut-outs on the cover, while the sleeve of ‘Sticky Fingers’ is presented as Andy Warhol’s original design, complete with a working zip with a hidden image underneath. Elsewhere, ‘Exile On Main Street’ comes with a set of 12 original postcard inserts.

All 15 albums across 20 LPs have been meticulously remastered and cut at ‘revelatory’ half-speed at Abbey Road Studios, from vinyl specific original tape transfers designed to get the very best possibly sound from the format.

As well as the records on vinyl, the box set includes a download card for HD digital redemption of the catalogue and includes a numbered certificate of authentication.

Retailing at £370 to £399.99, you can pre-order the album right here ahead of its release on Friday 15th June 2018 via Universal Music.

For all you tech aficionados out there, here’s some more information on the half-speed cutting process:

Abbey Road Studios’ engineers have been cutting grooves into discs since the studios first opened in 1931. In 2013, award-winning engineer Miles Showell joined their existing mastering team, bringing a wealth of disc-cutting experience with him.

One of the artisan techniques offered by Abbey Road Studios that results in the very highest quality sound reproduction is Half Speed Cutting. This process involves the master source being played back at precisely half its recorded speed while the cutting lathe is similarly turned at half the desired playback speed. This allows the cutting head twice the time to cut the intricate groove, allowing considerably more accuracy with important matters such as frequency extremes and micro-dynamic contrasts. The resulting cuts have excellent high frequency response (treble) and very solid and stable stereo images.

It’s not quite as simple as running everything at half rate. There is an EQ curve applied to all vinyl records and by running the lathe at half speed, all the frequencies are wrong. However, the technical staff at Abbey Road Studios have had new custom-built filters installed which allow Miles to practice half speed cutting to the full on a modified Neumann VMS-80 lathe.

‘The Studio Albums Vinyl Collection 1971-2016’

Sticky Fingers (1971)
    LP sleeve presented as Andy Warhol’s original design complete with working zip and hidden

Exile On Main St (1972) (2LP)
    2LP in original style gatefold sleeve complete with inner-bags and set of 12 perforated postcards

Goats Head Soup (1973)
    LP in gatefold sleeve with two inserts

It’s Only Rock’n’Roll (1974)
    LP with original heavyweight inner sleeve

Black And Blue (1976)
    LP in gatefold sleeve with original inner bag and lyric sheet

Some Girls (1978)
    LP housed in replica design including 20 cut-outs on the cover

Emotional Rescue (1980)
    LP with original sized poster

Tattoo You (1981)
    LP with original heavyweight inner sleeve

Undercover (1983)
    LP with original heavyweight inner sleeve and lyric sheet

Dirty Work (1986)
    LP with original heavyweight inner sleeve, red shrink wrapping and bespoke sticker

Steel Wheels (1989)
    LP complete with original inner sleeve and sales insert

Voodoo Lounge (1994) (2LP)
    2LP gatefold sleeve with original lyric inners

Bridges To Babylon (1997) (2LP)
    2LP with original lyric inners

A Bigger Bang (2005) (2LP)
    2LP gatefold sleeve with original lyric inners

Blue & Lonesome (2016) (2LP)
    2LP gatefold sleeve with original inners

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Still no signs of progress on that supposed new studio album of original material from the Stones, but they are resuming the Vault releases....

Though it has the same title of a live album released in the late 90s, this will probably be a different or at least expanded format from that, as the 90s version was a single CD while this version will have one package with a DVD & 2 audio CD's and a 3 LP vinyl edition Not a lot of details about the contents on the Stones website, but here's what they have to say about it, so far...
    No Security was the live album from the Bridges To Babylon stadium tour, then they toured arenas for the live album and it was the No Security tour.

The vinyl box set...I'll wait until the local wrecka sto has it for $30, like when I found GRRRR!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, I saw them in the Kingdome on "Black Friday" (day after Turkeysgiving) in 97. Then U2's PopMart tour was there about three weeks later. Last two big events at the Kingdome before they blew it up.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I saw Bridges outside at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, when Cleveland's new stadium was being built, and then No Security on April 1, '99 at Gund Arena. Got downtown early, parked in the garage across from the arena and saw the Stones motorcade arrive.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I saw them in the Kingdome on "Black Friday" (day after Turkeysgiving) in 97. Then U2's PopMart tour was there about three weeks later. Last two big events at the Kingdome before they blew it up.
    I don't miss the Kingdome at all. What an ugly eyesore that thing was.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The truly ugly thing about it was the acoustics inside. It was a little better in the 90s after they added the ceiling tiles, but those earlier shows... you were never sure if it was a rock concert or a supercross show. And of course the Seahawks games that were so loud they made John Elway cry like a baby.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I don't miss the Kingdome at all. What an ugly eyesore that thing was.
    LOL!

1970s architecture at it's finest.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The truly ugly thing about it was the acoustics inside. It was a little better in the 90s after they added the ceiling tiles, but those earlier shows... you were never sure if it was a rock concert or a supercross show. And of course the Seahawks games that were so loud they made John Elway cry like a baby.
    Saw Billy Joel at Safeco Field. Much better than the old raggy Kingdome.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Good riddins

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'd hate to see them do an uncontrolled demolition...

Heavy clouds of yellow, white and gray dust billowed out seconds after the first explosions at 8:30 a.m., obscuring the final view of the carefully orchestrated implosion.

Dust choked downtown for nearly 20 minutes, blocking out the sun and leaving a layer of film on cars, streets and storefronts. The dust cloud reached nearly as high as the top of the Bank of America Tower and drifted northwest about 8 miles an hour.

“It was like Mount St. Helens going off, and then all these people just started running,” said Jeff Chabot, a National Barricade employee whose company had cordoned off the streets around the Kingdome. “It was wild.”
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 05-11-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Keith Richards Explains How He Got Rid Of Trump Nearly 30 Years Ago
    Ed Mazza 8 hours ago

Guitarist Keith Richards was once so angry at Donald Trump that he pulled out a knife ― when the future president wasn’t in the room ― and stabbed a table.

The rock icon told the BBC that back in 1989, Trump was the promoter of the Rolling Stones’ “Steel Wheels” tour dates in Atlantic City. When the band arrived, however, they found Trump’s name in huge letters and the band’s name in much smaller type.

“I got out my trusty blade, stuck it in the table and said: ‘You have to get rid of this man!’” Richards told the BBC. “Now America has to get rid of him. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!”

Concert promoter Michael Cohl told a version of Richards’ story in 2015, saying Trump had agreed to host a pay-per-view event featuring the Stones in Atlantic City. But the band wanted nothing to do with him ― and when Trump turned up, Richards ordered Cohl to get rid of him.

“Keith pulls out his knife and slams it on the table and says, ‘What the hell do I have you for? Do I have to go over there and fire him myself?” Cohl recalled, per the Los Angeles Times. “One of us is leaving the building – either him or us.’”

In 2015, Richards told Billboard that Trump was “refreshing” and “cut through a lot of crap.” Yet that wasn’t exactly an endorsement.

“Can you imagine President Trump? The worst nightmare,” Richards said. “But we can’t say that. Because it could happen. This is one of the wonders of this country. Who would’ve thought Ronald Reagan could be president?”

Mick Jagger also commented on Trump in the new BBC interview, saying he’s puzzled by the president’s use of the band’s song “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” at his events.

“It’s a funny song for a play-out song ― a drowsy ballad about drugs in Chelsea!” Jagger told the BBC. “It’s kind of weird. He couldn’t be persuaded to use something else.”

The latest leg of the band’s “No Filter” European tour begins on Thursday.

YAHOO LINK
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 05-15-2018 at 02:01 PM.

38. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (05-16-2018)

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Rolling Stones, Croke Park, Dublin, 5/17/18

"Sympathy for the Devil"
    "Tumbling Dice"
    "Paint It Black"
    "Just Your Fool"
    "Ride 'Em on Down"
    "Neighbours"
    "Wild Horses"
    "You Can't Always Get What You Want"
    "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)"
    "Honky Tonk Women"
    "Before They Make Me Run"
    "The Worst"
    "Miss You"
    "Midnight Rambler"
    "Start Me Up"
    "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
    "Brown Sugar"
    "Gimme Shelter"
    "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

Story & clips at:
    ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-no-filter-2018-tour-launch/

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here was me thinking that Jerry just married the old cunt for his money and it turns out it was actually because his gut reminded her of Mick...

41. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (07-17-2018),Terry (07-19-2018)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mick might look like the Grinch but the man can still move on stage. Most people half his age couldn't dance around and sing like that for two hours.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Here was me thinking that Jerry just married the old cunt for his money and it turns out it was actually because his gut reminded her of Mick...

holy shit...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Rolling Stones.... part of your nutritious breakfast.....

Thread Information