Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Probably one of the better moments of the 76 tour here....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Jack68
      Commando
      • Sep 2004

I thought the Ole Ole Ole was very good. Love the new album so to speak. Joey Kramer could be the first person ive ever heard slight Charlie Watts in the drumming dept...

Id pay just to sit behind Charlie and watch him play anyday.
      "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Joey Kramer can go fuck himself. The Stones have certainly had some albums that weren't as good as they were capable of, but they damn sure never sold out to be a glorified boy band like Aeroshit did in the mid-80s.

Charlie Watts is usually ranked among the top 10 drummers in the history of music. Joey Kramer? Not so much.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Jack68
          Commando
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          Joey Kramer can go fuck himself. The Stones have certainly had some albums that weren't as good as they were capable of, but they damn sure never sold out to be a glorified boy band like Aeroshit did in the mid-80s.

Charlie Watts is usually ranked among the top 10 drummers in the history of music. Joey Kramer? Not so much.
          Agreed.
          "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

• silverfish
            Foot Soldier
            • Mar 2007

Just a head's up - Crossfire Hurricane (2012) was added to Netflix on March 1st.
            Originally posted by sadaist
            I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Joey Kramer is an adequate rock drummer.

Even at Aerosmith's 1970s zenith, Kramer was just an adequate rock drummer.

It's not necessarily a slam, because Kramer was capable of laying down the groove, and to me when Aerosmith was at their best and doing what they did best, it was all about the tunes laying down those grooves. Not about anything exceptional in terms of individual musicianship. For me, probably 95% of the lead guitar work on Aerosmith's records is disposable. It was the riffs, tunes and grooves that made that band exceptional.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by silverfish
                Just a head's up - Crossfire Hurricane (2012) was added to Netflix on March 1st.
                Crossfire Hurricane was okay far as Stones docs went.

It had some interesting late 1960s black and white footage I hadn't seen before, and some 1970s footage I hadn't seen before.

Far from definitive, though. I mean, to have a documentary that basically focuses on the period from 1967 to 1977 and not so much as even mention Marianne Faithfull or Anita Pallenberg once? Plus, a bit too much recycled footage from Ladies And Gentleman The Rolling Stones and Cocksucker Blues in there for my liking.

I bought it when the Region 1 dvds were released a year after the Region 2 dvds were released in Europe. Watched it once and haven't watched it since.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

There's a few docs on Amazon too. The Mick Taylor Years, and one when Wood joined.

Years ago I found a sealed 25x5 on VHS and copied it to DVD.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Nov 2004

"25 x 5, the continuing adventures" rules over all the documentaries made about the Stones IMO.
                    posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                      Joey Kramer is an adequate rock drummer.

Even at Aerosmith's 1970s zenith, Kramer was just an adequate rock drummer.

It's not necessarily a slam, because Kramer was capable of laying down the groove, and to me when Aerosmith was at their best and doing what they did best, it was all about the tunes laying down those grooves. Not about anything exceptional in terms of individual musicianship. For me, probably 95% of the lead guitar work on Aerosmith's records is disposable. It was the riffs, tunes and grooves that made that band exceptional.
                      Ironically, most of the good things about Aerosmith came from the fact that they really wanted to BE the Rolling Stones. "No More No More" could have been an out take from Exile on Main Street, for fucks sake. Which is probably why it's my favorite track from Toys in the Attic, actually.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Another bit of trivia on that note: The last track on the Rolling Stones' first album & the last track on Aerosmith's first album? The same song, "Walking The Dog".
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                          "25 x 5, the continuing adventures" rules over all the documentaries made about the Stones IMO.
                          I haven't watched it in a while, maybe I will when I'm off Monday.
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise

I bought that on VHS when it came out in 1990 or right around there.

It really is the best band sanctioned documentary, although it sort of breezes through the post-1977 years up until 1989.

But it managed to cover all the salient points of the band's career, and still holds up amazingly well.

I think I also tried to dupe my vhs copy onto dvd but ran into software issues when my dvd recorder refused to accept the vhs transfer because the dvd software recognized it was a manufactured vhs and rejected the transfer sue to copyright issues.

Fortunately, my vhs copy has still held up.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Ironically, most of the good things about Aerosmith came from the fact that they really wanted to BE the Rolling Stones. "No More No More" could have been an out take from Exile on Main Street, for fucks sake. Which is probably why it's my favorite track from Toys in the Attic, actually.
                              Undeniable that Aerosmith were hugely influenced by The Stones (and Smith have never denied it), but Aerosmith also took that influence and made it into something all their own. Like, even just referencing their 1970s output, I have never considered Aerosmith a half-assed Stones copy band.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Which is what makes Kramer's comments about the Stones so odd, in that Kramer serves the same function as a drummer for Aerosmith that Watts has for the Stones: Kramer serves the songs well, doesn't overplay just for the sake of showing off, is able to get into a groove and propel the song along.

And as said, Aerosmith don't really have much room to talk about any Rolling Stones records coming up short considering Aerosmith's own track record for the last few decades.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...