X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
    I didn't know about Godard filming the Airplane too. Very... picturesque!

Jagger would ask him what his movie was about, but Godard never told him.

"One Plus One" is really weird, but it offers priceless pictures of the Stones recording
    "Sympathy".

As far as Rolling Stones movies, I think "Ladies & Gentlemen" ('74) is the best ever done about them on stage.
    I mean, Scorcese's is great, and certainly better as a movie properly speaking, but the Stones kicked so much more awesome fucking ass in 1974 than in 2007...
    I really didn't care too much for Shine A Light. Outside of Buddy Guy, the other guest appearances added ziltch to the performances. Richards was in very bad form for that show, and although there were plenty of camera angles, it was as if there was a conscious decision not to use the video from any one shot for more than 5 seconds at a time. Frankly, I expected more from such a legendary director...and from some of the Stones to be truthful. Watts was rock solid as always. Woody played well. Richards played like shit and Jagger's vocals were rife with the lazy live vocal shortcuts he's been using onstage since the early 1980s.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'm wondering if Keef really lost something upstairs (and thus in his guitar abilities) when he fell out of that palm tree.

It can't be a coincidence that they haven't released a new album since then, and haven't toured (apart from finishing that tour which was already underway at the time). And the only thing really new from them since then (not counting the vault pillaging Exile/Some Girls re-masters or live archives) was a blues song on the Ian Stewart tribute album, with pretty standard blues riffage that Keef could play in his sleep......

....God, I'd hate to believe that little fall damaged him more than 10 years of being a full blown junkie ever did. But they don't seem to be in any hurry to cash in on the whole "50th anniversary" hype, and you gotta wonder why that's the case.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
        I'm wondering if Keef really lost something upstairs (and thus in his guitar abilities) when he fell out of that palm tree.

It can't be a coincidence that they haven't released a new album since then, and haven't toured (apart from finishing that tour which was already underway at the time). And the only thing really new from them since then (not counting the vault pillaging Exile/Some Girls re-masters or live archives) was a blues song on the Ian Stewart tribute album, with pretty standard blues riffage that Keef could play in his sleep......

....God, I'd hate to believe that little fall damaged him more than 10 years of being a full blown junkie ever did. But they don't seem to be in any hurry to cash in on the whole "50th anniversary" hype, and you gotta wonder why that's the case.
        Honestly, I'm a bit more excited by the (fairly) recent official 1978 and Exile tour footage releases than the prospect of a Stones 50th Anniversary tour.

I kinda passed the point of being interested in the future of the band right around the release of the Steel Wheels album. Have listened to all the stuff they've put out subsequent to that, and very little of it has connected with me...even when loads of people were raving about A Bigger Bang, about the only positive thing I could find was that the album as a whole was SLIGHTLY better than Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon. As for a 50th Anniversary tour, I can't really get too hyped about the Stones doing another round of football stadiums playing their greatest hits, mostly because that's basically what they've been doing since the early 1980s.

Doubtless such a tour would sell out in a heartbeat, though.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by FORD
          Mick Taylor on the 1981 tour? Yes, it really happened.... at least in Kansas City. Unfortunately he kinda got buried in the mix, but here it is anyway.......

Taylor should be on their next tour. Why not. They have enough guitar parts to divide up. Shit he is on their best stuff !

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
            Taylor should be on their next tour. Why not. They have enough guitar parts to divide up. Shit he is on their best stuff !
            The fact that Taylor and Bill Wyman were both involved in the recent remastering projects (Taylor even recorded a new guitar part for the single "Plundered My Soul") leads me to hope that both of them will be on this tour, if and when it happens.

And when an Ian Stewart tribute show took place somewhere in England, Taylor & Wyman both showed up, along with Woody & Charlie. Unfortunately Mick & Keith couldn't make it, for whatever reasons. But it was encouraging to see at least 4 members of the band on stage at the same time, I guess. Even if Woody was singing......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
              Honestly, I'm a bit more excited by the (fairly) recent official 1978 and Exile tour footage releases than the prospect of a Stones 50th Anniversary tour.

I kinda passed the point of being interested in the future of the band right around the release of the Steel Wheels album. Have listened to all the stuff they've put out subsequent to that, and very little of it has connected with me...even when loads of people were raving about A Bigger Bang, about the only positive thing I could find was that the album as a whole was SLIGHTLY better than Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon. As for a 50th Anniversary tour, I can't really get too hyped about the Stones doing another round of football stadiums playing their greatest hits, mostly because that's basically what they've been doing since the early 1980s.

Doubtless such a tour would sell out in a heartbeat, though.
              i dunno. i would like to see the Stones one more time. but if a 50th anniversary tour happens after VH finishes their run then i'll probably road trip a couple shows. Toronto moves to the top of the list...
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Angel
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                i dunno. i would like to see the Stones one more time. but if a 50th anniversary tour happens after VH finishes their run then i'll probably road trip a couple shows. Toronto moves to the top of the list...
                Saw them on Bigger Bang. I'm satisfied. They said that Regina was the best city on that tour. It was perfect, including the big ole orange harvest moon shining down on the stage. I'd be too worried to get a less-astounding show than that one.

Of course, if the opportunity was thrown in my face again, I wouldn't say no. I just want to see VH dammit!!!
                "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Angel
                  Saw them on Bigger Bang.
                  Always hated Mick Jagger the lil dancing flaming big lipped queen. Had opportunity to see them at the LA Coliseum with GnR and Living Color opening. Figured had to see the Stones once right? Mick utterly killed the fucking crowd that night and I have been a huge fan ever since. The guy is the 2nd best frontman I have ever seen. My God he never stopped moving across a seriously huge stage. I bet he logged 8 miles during that 2 hours. Insane.

October 1989 - LA Coliseum - Steel Wheels tour (GnR - Living Color)

October 17, 1994 - Jack Murphy Stadium - Voodoo Lounge Tour

+November 9, 1997 - Dodger Stadium - Bridges To Babylon Tour (Wallflowers)

*February 3, 1998 - Qualcomm Stadium - Bridges To Babylon Tour

*(Rained like a motherfucker yet the stones performed soaked to the bone. Fucking amazing. 65,000+ drenching wet people in the pouring rain singing whoooo-whooo to Sympathy For The Devil. Mostly Mick was in direct rain when he went out to center floor area where they had a mini stage like boxing ring set up. Rest of the band did join him. Surprised none were electrocuted. Or they were and were just enjoying the high from it)

+ (Actually saw this for free and was semi-backstage. Passed out flyers all night for some official Rolling Stones branded credit card to everyone walking in and tailgating. Then we got backstage-limited access passes that let us sit anywhere in the stadium that was open. Got to bump into Jacob Dylan of the Wallflowers and my sister looked at him and said "damn boy, you just smell like money". Didn't meet any Stones, but saw the show for free for handing out their flyers and was paid I think like $75)
                  Last edited by sadaist; 06-20-2012, 01:10 PM.
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• fourthcoming

The one and only time I saw the Stones was in 1989 at Shea Stadium.....no GNR....just Living Colour.....who ripped by the way. I remember thinking the same thing Sadaist......Mick must have easily walked/ran close to 10 miles that night. The stage was tremendous and he did not stop all night. The only time he mellowed out was when Clapton joined them for Little red rooster. I was 15 years old and it was an amazing show.....I'll never forget how loud it was too. I know it sounds strange but of all the shows I have ever seen......the Stones were one of the loudest shows I have ever been too.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

the Cleveland stop on the Steel Wheels tour was Sept. 27 of '89. it was a cold night...during the little break at the end of Glamour Boys, Corey Glover said "damn it's cold!" instead of "what do you mean my credit's no good?"
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Only time I saw the Stones was on the Steel Wheels tour as well.
                        Am usually not a fan of stadium shows, but I will say The Stones are one of the few bands out there that knows how to put one on well, in terms of the right balance between production values and music. I'd also readily agree that Jagger worked every inch of the stage tirelessly...my only gripe with that show was the amount of supporting musicians onstage outnumbered the amount of actual band members and sort of diluted the core Stones sound a bit (a similar problem I had with The Who tour that same year).
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

AKA Start Me Up - the 1975 version......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The Stones rehearsing for a TV appearance in 1978. (I won't say for what show, because it attracts RIAA nazis like white on rice)

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...