Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Rolling Stones" Thread

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Joey Kramer can go fuck himself. The Stones have certainly had some albums that weren't as good as they were capable of, but they damn sure never sold out to be a glorified boy band like Aeroshit did in the mid-80s.

Charlie Watts is usually ranked among the top 10 drummers in the history of music. Joey Kramer? Not so much.
    Joey Kramer is an adequate rock drummer.

Even at Aerosmith's 1970s zenith, Kramer was just an adequate rock drummer.

It's not necessarily a slam, because Kramer was capable of laying down the groove, and to me when Aerosmith was at their best and doing what they did best, it was all about the tunes laying down those grooves. Not about anything exceptional in terms of individual musicianship. For me, probably 95% of the lead guitar work on Aerosmith's records is disposable. It was the riffs, tunes and grooves that made that band exceptional.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    Just a head's up - Crossfire Hurricane (2012) was added to Netflix on March 1st.
    Crossfire Hurricane was okay far as Stones docs went.

It had some interesting late 1960s black and white footage I hadn't seen before, and some 1970s footage I hadn't seen before.

Far from definitive, though. I mean, to have a documentary that basically focuses on the period from 1967 to 1977 and not so much as even mention Marianne Faithfull or Anita Pallenberg once? Plus, a bit too much recycled footage from Ladies And Gentleman The Rolling Stones and Cocksucker Blues in there for my liking.

I bought it when the Region 1 dvds were released a year after the Region 2 dvds were released in Europe. Watched it once and haven't watched it since.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

There's a few docs on Amazon too. The Mick Taylor Years, and one when Wood joined.

Years ago I found a sealed 25x5 on VHS and copied it to DVD.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

"25 x 5, the continuing adventures" rules over all the documentaries made about the Stones IMO.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Joey Kramer is an adequate rock drummer.

Even at Aerosmith's 1970s zenith, Kramer was just an adequate rock drummer.

It's not necessarily a slam, because Kramer was capable of laying down the groove, and to me when Aerosmith was at their best and doing what they did best, it was all about the tunes laying down those grooves. Not about anything exceptional in terms of individual musicianship. For me, probably 95% of the lead guitar work on Aerosmith's records is disposable. It was the riffs, tunes and grooves that made that band exceptional.
    Ironically, most of the good things about Aerosmith came from the fact that they really wanted to BE the Rolling Stones. "No More No More" could have been an out take from Exile on Main Street, for fucks sake. Which is probably why it's my favorite track from Toys in the Attic, actually.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Another bit of trivia on that note: The last track on the Rolling Stones' first album & the last track on Aerosmith's first album? The same song, "Walking The Dog".

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    "25 x 5, the continuing adventures" rules over all the documentaries made about the Stones IMO.
    I haven't watched it in a while, maybe I will when I'm off Monday.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

I bought that on VHS when it came out in 1990 or right around there.

It really is the best band sanctioned documentary, although it sort of breezes through the post-1977 years up until 1989.

But it managed to cover all the salient points of the band's career, and still holds up amazingly well.

I think I also tried to dupe my vhs copy onto dvd but ran into software issues when my dvd recorder refused to accept the vhs transfer because the dvd software recognized it was a manufactured vhs and rejected the transfer sue to copyright issues.

Fortunately, my vhs copy has still held up.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Ironically, most of the good things about Aerosmith came from the fact that they really wanted to BE the Rolling Stones. "No More No More" could have been an out take from Exile on Main Street, for fucks sake. Which is probably why it's my favorite track from Toys in the Attic, actually.
    Undeniable that Aerosmith were hugely influenced by The Stones (and Smith have never denied it), but Aerosmith also took that influence and made it into something all their own. Like, even just referencing their 1970s output, I have never considered Aerosmith a half-assed Stones copy band.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Which is what makes Kramer's comments about the Stones so odd, in that Kramer serves the same function as a drummer for Aerosmith that Watts has for the Stones: Kramer serves the songs well, doesn't overplay just for the sake of showing off, is able to get into a groove and propel the song along.

And as said, Aerosmith don't really have much room to talk about any Rolling Stones records coming up short considering Aerosmith's own track record for the last few decades.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Charlie Watts is a great drummer. Hard to believe the Stones are still performing. Mick, Charlie, and Kieth still sound good after all those years.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Undeniable that Aerosmith were hugely influenced by The Stones (and Smith have never denied it), but Aerosmith also took that influence and made it into something all their own. Like, even just referencing their 1970s output, I have never considered Aerosmith a half-assed Stones copy band.
    The Stones are hard to copy. Keith Richards has a very unique guitar sound and I've never heard anyone nail it except for Keith. You don't hear too many bands cover Rolling Stones songs for that reason. It's just not going to sound right.

13. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-09-2017)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

¡Olé, Olé, Olé! A Trip Across Latin America will finally hit Blu-Ray and DVD on May 26.

The film was given a strictly limited theatrical release around Europe in September 2016, and North America in November 2016, and broadcast on the UK’s Channel 4 in December 2016. ¡Olé, Olé, Olé! A Trip Across Latin America makes the perfect companion piece to the Havana Moon release from Autumn 2016. The DVD and Blu-ray release will also include seven exclusive bonus live tracks from the tour with a running time of over 50 minutes.

¡Olé, Olé, Olé! A Trip Across Latin America follows the Rolling Stones on their 2016 tour through ten Latin America cities, whilst at the same time trying to stage their first ever concert in Havana, Cuba, a colossal once-in-a-lifetime open air free show, the likes of which Cuba had never seen before. The film captures the unique chemistry that exists between the Rolling Stones and their Latin American fans, a bond that has stretched across many years.

As well as the full film, the Bonus Features on this release offer a collection of incredible full length performances from the Latin American tour:

1) Out Of Control (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

2) Paint It Black (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

3) Honky Tonk Women (Sao Paulo, Brazil)

4) Sympathy For The Devil (Sao Paulo, Brazil)

5) You Got The Silver (Lima, Peru)

6) Midnight Rambler (Lima, Peru)

7) Miss You (Lima, Peru)

Featuring electrifying live performances, intimate moments with the band members, anticipation and reaction from the fans, and all the twists and turns of staging the Havana concert !Olé, Olé, Olé! A Trip Across Latin America is a portrait of a vital band still at the very top of their game.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Early "raw" take here from the Undercover sessions. Mick singing verses, Keef singing choruses. Though the vocals are too muddy to hear exactly WHAT they're singing. Instrumentally it's about the same as what would make it to the album, only less overproduced.

16. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-25-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Undercover was okay.

Great title track. Point of fact, I REALLY like that track.

She Was Hot. Decent enough for a goof. Was never effective for me when I listened to just the audio outside of the promo video context: without Anita Morris wiggling her ass and shaking her tits as a visual aid to the music, actually just sitting there and listening to She Was Hot is a bit of a chore/bore.

Too Much Blood was interesting.

Too Tough and All The Way Down are a bit stale/stock where the Stones are concerned.

Actually, the track I might like best on the record is Must Be Hell. Sure, it's a bit of a Honky Tonk Woman/Soul Survivor recycle in terms of the riffs, but Keef wrote 'em so he can rejigger 'em if he likes.

I honestly can't remember how the other tracks go. What the fuck were they...Too Rude and Pretty Beat Up? Or were those on Dirty Work? No, I'm pretty sure Pretty Beat Up was on Undercover...I'll have to give those a re-listen.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It was always something about Keith's guitar playing, Charlie Watt's drumming style, and the way Bill Wyman's bass sounded I liked. Charlie could throw in some cool fills, Bill's bass just sounded great, and Keith was just cool. Name anyone else that sounded like those guys and you can't. Good stuff. More than just Mick and Keef.

19. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

FORD (03-25-2017),Terry (03-25-2017)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, Bill was good... when he bothered to show up for the sessions. A lot of songs over the years ended up with Keef or Woody playing bass on the track. Or on the rare occasion Mick Taylor (Fingerprint File) and even Mick Jagger on this one.....

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Proto-"Tumbling Dice". Sounds much better than on the old boot I bought 25 years ago.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Proto-"Tumbling Dice". Sounds much better than on the old boot I bought 25 years ago.
    That's because it was officially released on the Exile remaster a few years back. One of the few songs on the bonus disk that wasn't "enhanced" with overdubs recorded 40 years after the fact. Of course this was technically not even from the Exile sessions, as it was recorded in 1970, but since it did evolve into Tumbling Dice, they decided it belonged on the remaster. I already had it on 5 or 6 bootlegs in various quality myself before then, of course.

Ironically enough, there seems to be some dispute whether it was Bill Wyman or Mick Taylor who played bass on the album version of "Tumbling Dice". Whatever the truth is there, I know that both of them did a great job on the live version of that song on the 72 & 73 tours.

23. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-26-2017)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I like Undercover's Tie You Up and Keef's Wanna Hold You.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

"Undercover" was the first studio album I got, at the same time as "Still Life".

Back then I remember I thought "All the way down" was mainly out of key. And I still find something weird in that tune.

26. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-26-2017)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Back then I remember I thought "All the way down" was mainly out of key. And I still find something weird in that tune.
    Maybe they should have kept the musical arrangement in that one the way it was in the demo? I actually like it better.

Half the problem with Undercover was that Mick was trying to hard to compete with the "new wave" bands that were all over radio & eMpTyV at the time. Horsehit! When you're the goddamned Rolling Stones, you don't have to sound like anybody but yourselves!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Stones Announce 2017 European Tour

Published on May 9, 2017

The Rolling Stones will play thirteen shows in twelve different venues, across Europe, in September and October. STONES - NO FILTER sees Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie, back where they belong, out on the road, playing to packed stadiums.

http://www.rollingstones.com/tickets/

9 September Hamburg, Germany Stadtpark

12 September Munich, Germany Olympic Stadium

16 September Spielberg, Austria Spielberg at Red Bull Ring

20 September Zurich, Switzerland Letzigrund Stadium

23 September Lucca, Italy Lucca Summer Festival-City Walls

27 September Barcelona, Spain Olympic Stadium

30 September *Amsterdam, Holland *Amsterdam ArenA

3 October *Copenhagen, Denmark *Parken Stadium

9 October *Dusseldorf, Germany *Esprit arena

12 October *Stockholm, Sweden *Friends Arena

15 October *Arnhem, Holland *GelreDome

19 October *Paris, France *U Arena

22 October *Paris, France *U Arena

This STONES - NO FILTER European tour follows last year’s ground-breaking tour of South America culminating in the historical concert in Havana, Cuba.

As always, the Rolling Stones will treat their European fans to a set list packed full of classics such as, ‘Gimme Shelter’, ‘Paint It Black’, ‘Jumpin' Jack Flash’, ‘Tumbling Dice’ and ‘Brown Sugar’, but they will also include a couple of unexpected tracks each night, and randomly selected surprises from their formidable arsenal of songs. For all of the European No Filter shows, the Stones will be unveiling a spectacular new production and state of the art stage design.

Keith Richards said, “Hey Guys, here we come. See you there!!!!”

Mick Jagger said, “I'm so excited to be touring Europe this Autumn and returning to some familiar places and some we've never done before.”

The tour, produced by Concerts West, kicks off at The Stadtpark in Hamburg on Saturday September 9 and then heads for Munich (Germany), Spielberg (Austria), Zurich (Switzerland), Lucca (Italy) Barcelona (Spain), Amsterdam (Holland), Copenhagen (Denmark), Dusseldorf (Germany), Stockholm (Sweden), Arnhem (Holland) and rounds up with two shows in Paris (France) at the brand new ‘U Arena’, the first concerts to be staged at this venue.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Found another outtake from the Some Girls sessions. Don't think this one is on any bootlegs I have of that era. There is a "lost verse" about 7:50 minutes into the song, which pretty much makes it clear that "Sanitation engineer" is only the DAY job of the song's protagonist, and he provides an entirely different type of service at night......

wonder what inspired this story? Somebody Mick was doing coke with at Studio 54??

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Eh, ghey.

That tune only turns my sickness into heath

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No Filter tour opening night setlist

Opening with Sympathy? Usually that's after Keith sings his two songs.

I like the new stage. Maybe they'll use that the next few years, like they did with the setup we got on the Zip Code tour a couple years ago. Same stage was on the Latin American tour.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And the full show. Tempo seems kind of slow, first show glitch?

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've just run through the first 4 minutes, and err... WTF is Keith doing from 3:30???

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Nice screens.

As for Keith on the opening track I always find it funny in situations like that to close my eyes and imagine the abuse a bar band would get for sounding the exact same...

37. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (09-20-2017)

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

... WTF is Keith doing from 3:30???
    How do you turn one of the greatest riffs in rock into that mess?
    Did he bonk his head again?....

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It was fucking cold in Hamburg. You see Ronnie shaking his fingers to warm them up. It doesn't help if you are 70+ and suffer from arthritis.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    How do you turn one of the greatest riffs in rock into that mess?
    Did he bonk his head again?....
    The riff sounds odd, but so does his solo, in tenfold proportions. As if his guitar is out of tune, or as if he'd totally forgotten how the fuck he could play... like it was reported Malcolm Young wound up at his last AC/DC rehearsal.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

My co-worker's dad is going to tonight's show. Bought the tickets for his girlfriend's birthday, they flew out of CLE Thursday.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Stones to release old school BBC Sessions album

December 1st sees the release of The Rolling Stones ‘On Air’, a selection of BBC recordings from the 1960’s which offer a unique insight into the formative days of the band.

Every track has been revolutionary restored via 'Audio Source Separation’ and you will be able to hear the remarkable difference this makes to each song.

‘On Air’ is available in a variety of formats including a limited edition yellow vinyl, album and book bundles, plus CD and digital download.

TRACKLIST
    Come On - Saturday Club, 26 October 1963
    (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction - Saturday Club, 18 September 1965
    Roll Over Beethoven - Saturday Club, 26 October 1963
    The Spider And The Fly - Yeah Yeah, 30 August 1965
    Cops And Robbers - Blues in Rhythm, 9 May 1964
    It’s All Over Now - The Joe Loss Pop Show, 17 July 1964
    Route 66 - Blues in Rhythm, 9 May 1964
    Memphis, Tennessee - Saturday Club, 26 October 1963
    Down The Road Apiece - Top Gear, 6 March 1965
    The Last Time - Top Gear, 6 March 1965
    Cry To Me - Saturday Club, 18 September 1965
    Mercy, Mercy - Yeah Yeah, 30 August 1965
    Oh! Baby (We Got A Good Thing Goin’) - Saturday Club, 18 September 1965
    Around And Around - Top Gear, 23 July 1964
    Hi Heel Sneakers - Saturday Club, 18 April 1964
    Fannie Mae - Saturday Club, 18 September 1965
    You Better Move On - Blues in Rhythm, 9 May 1964
    Mona - Blues In Rhythm, 9 May 1964

BONUS TRACKS (DELUXE)
    I Wanna Be Your Man - Saturday Club, 8 February 1964
    Carol - Saturday Club, 18 April 1964
    I’m moving On - The Joe Loss Pop Show , 10 April 1964
    If You Need Me - The Joe Loss Pop Show, 17 July 1964
    Walking The Dog - Saturday Club, 8 February 1964
    Confessin’ The Blues - The Joe Loss Pop Show, 17 July 1964
    Everybody Needs Somebody To Love - Top Gear, 6 March 1965
    Little By Little - The Joe Loss Pop Show, 10 April 1964
    Ain’t That Loving You Baby - Rhythm And Blues, 31 October 1964
    Beautiful Delilah - Saturday Club, 18 April 1964
    Crackin’ Up - Top Gear, 23 July 1964
    I Can’t Be Satisfied - Top Gear, 23 July 1964
    I Just Want to Make Love To You - Saturday Club, 18 April 1964
    2120 South Michigan Avenue - Rhythm and Blues, 31 October 1964
    Last edited by FORD; 10-26-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online