• Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jack68

Id love to sit behind this guy at a show and watch him play.
        Charlie Watts is one of my favorite drummers. I love how he's dynamic and interacts with the rest of the band instead of just laying a beat down. I love his fills.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          Charlie Watts is one of my favorite drummers. I love how he's dynamic and interacts with the rest of the band instead of just laying a beat down. I love his fills.
          In Charlie's own words, he "follows" Keith, and that's the foundation of the Stones sound. It also explains some of the train wrecks on their 75/76 tour when Keef's heroin addiction was at its worst, because he fucked up, which caused Charlie to fuck up, and that derailed the whole thing.

Charlie's a jazz drummer at heart, who just ended up playing for 50 years in the world's greatest rock n roll band. Probably aren't many rock drummers out there that were playing jazz first. Alex Van Halen, maybe, when he and Ed used to play with their dad as kids.

Ironic that they're two of my favorite drummers, considering I've never been a huge fan of jazz myself.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Zing!
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

Don't know if this has been mentioned here already, but I heard on the radio last night that the four remaining Stones are planning on meeting in the next couple of weeks to hammer out details for their 50th anniversary tour. DJ said the rumor is there will only be about 18 dates in the US. I'm thinking of taking my 9-year-old to this one, just so she can say she saw The Rolling Stones (if I can convince mom to let me spend $250 for nosebleed tickets...)
            My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

"Maybe if we just slowed that one down a little......"

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Keef plays the blues.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• envy_me
                      Swedish Love Pump
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Dec 2010

This guy does a great Keith

The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Keefs Fender twins. Charlie and Keef stick with the same gear and use it forever.

Are the speakers JBL's?

I've been chasing Keef's tone since 1979. It never was the Beetles for me as a kid. It was The Rolling Stones. I had a Rolling Stones sticker on my skateboard. I can remember being little and hearing Satisfaction on the radio and I was hooked. I like how Keef's guitar tech says getting the tone is illusive. That's damn straight. Unless you get that tone close the Rolling Stones songs you play just sound wrong. There is only one Rolling Stones. Nobody can copy them.
                        Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-24-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          In Charlie's own words, he "follows" Keith, and that's the foundation of the Stones sound. It also explains some of the train wrecks on their 75/76 tour when Keef's heroin addiction was at its worst, because he fucked up, which caused Charlie to fuck up, and that derailed the whole thing.

Charlie's a jazz drummer at heart, who just ended up playing for 50 years in the world's greatest rock n roll band. Probably aren't many rock drummers out there that were playing jazz first. Alex Van Halen, maybe, when he and Ed used to play with their dad as kids.

Ironic that they're two of my favorite drummers, considering I've never been a huge fan of jazz myself.
                          Thing I dig about Watts (someone else mentioned Phil Rudd, and they're exactly right) is how he serves the song first. Always has. It takes a degree of discipline to serve the song, and not use the song as a vehicle primarily for showing everyone how bitchin' of a musician one is.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                            In Charlie's own words, he "follows" Keith, and that's the foundation of the Stones sound. .
                            It's the best dynamic. It wouldn't be the Stones without Charlie. Keith doesn't work with slouches in his solo stuff, but the groove doesn't breathe as much since the chemistry is so different.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Here's an example of a total wanker drummer. "Look at me! I'm a drumming god!"

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                I've been chasing Keef's tone since 1979. It never was the Beetles for me as a kid. It was The Rolling Stones. Unless you get that tone close the Rolling Stones songs you play just sound wrong. There is only one Rolling Stones. Nobody can copy them.
                                Keith staggers the beat in his rhythm playing, sometimes hitting the chord just a little bit later than anybody else would in the context of the four-count. Listening to his phrasing and dynamics is just as important as using the Fender amp. It's attention to detail. I guess the best example of this off the top of my head is the intro to Monkey Man, during and after the piano arpeggios as it builds to the main riff. Not as much what he does but how he does it. Great tension building.
                                Same thing with the guitar part to Can't You Hear me Knockin with him playing slightly off the beat, but incredibly effective.

Comment

Working...