Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt White
    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    Wyman didn't even play the NY gigs last year. Apparently he's only interested if he can drive to the gig in his own car.

But then he's 76 years old, so it's not surprising that he doesn't want to travel much.
    Hopefully he'll play a handful of gigs with them.....

NOTHING compares when that original lineup kicks in....THATS a fucking "GROOVE"!!!

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

Friend of mine met Mick yesterday at the rehearsal studio in Burbank....

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Yeah I've read that Wyman isn't interested in flying any more.

I've heard Bootsy Collins and Aretha Franklin don't like flying, either.
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

By the sounds of this, Gwen Stefani wasn't only dressed up like 1972, but she found Keef's heroin stash from that year and shot up all of it. God damn, did she ever fuck up the lyrics or what??

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Carloscda
            Foot Soldier
            • Jan 2009

LOS ANGELES, May 4 (Reuters) - The Rolling Stones rocked a packed house in Los Angeles on Friday on the opening night of their North American "50 and Counting" tour, but only after websites slashed ticket prices and the band released additional cheap seats at the last minute.

The 17-date tour is the veteran British rockers' biggest in six years and follows a handful of dates in London, Paris and New York at the end of 2012 marking 50 years since they burst on to the music scene at London's Marquee Club in 1962.

"We first played LA in 1965. Thank you for coming to see us. We really appreciate it," frontman Mick Jagger said late on Friday during the show at Staples Center.

The 69-year-old strutted and gyrated in his trademark style through a string of classic Stones hits including "Gimme Shelter," "Paint it Black" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash."

Celebrities like Jack Nicholson and Melanie Griffith attended the show, which also featured guest performances by singer Gwen Stefani on "Wild Horses" and Keith Urban on "Respectable."

Days before the show, hundreds of seats were still available and secondary sellers scrambled to unload tickets by slashing prices from the original $250 to $600 price range which had irked many of even the most die-hard Stones fans.

The band also released additional seats at a modest $85 on its official website this week, the only price point that quickly sold out for the May 3 concert.

Buyers who opted to buy the $85 seats online were instructed to line up at the arena just before the show, and were told they would be notified of their locations which could range anywhere for prime seating to further back in the venue.

"It's very thrilling. It's like gambling and the Stones all rolled into one," said Los Angeles realtor Kelley Miller, who had bought a pair of $85 seats along with some friends, and stood in line to find out where they would be sitting.

Miller and her friends said they were happy to be seated anywhere at that price.

SATISFACTION

Among the highlights of the evening were the show's opening number "Satisfaction", performed by the UCLA Marching Band and the Stones' rendition of "You Can't Always Get What You Want," accompanied by the Cal State Long Beach Cole Conservatory choir.

The Rolling Stones last went on tour from 2005 to 2007, playing 144 shows globally and grossing more than $550 million, one of the world's most lucrative tours.

Guitarist Mick Taylor, who played with the Stones from 1969 to 1974, sat in on Friday to join Jagger, guitarists Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood and drummer Charlie Watts during "Midnight Rambler."

Later this summer, The Rolling Stones will play London's Hyde Park, and for the first time in their career, the Glastonbury music festival in England, both of which sold out.

The band played a more reasonably priced $20 "surprise" gig in Los Angeles the previous weekend at the 320 person capacity Echoplex club.

But even fans who coughed up the $600 asking price for the Friday night show seemed to find satisfaction.

Comment

• loucap81
              Head Fluffer
              • Apr 2012

Last I checked the cheapest seats on StubHub in Philly were priced at $280, so that's not happening for me. Glad I saw them in 2005. Of course the date is still a month and a half out so I'd have to think it'll come down as the date draws closer.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                By the sounds of this, Gwen Stefani wasn't only dressed up like 1972, but she found Keef's heroin stash from that year and shot up all of it. God damn, did she ever fuck up the lyrics or what??

Gwen was fine in No Doubt. But after that it was awful. She really sucks here. Go home Gwen and raise your kid, you are not entertaining.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Clean out your ears from that noise with some real Stones.......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Stones & Stevie???

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

Hey Ford, do they ever toss Under My Thumb into the set list? Once in the late 90's I saw them at Qualcomm Stadium and the had an open song spot. The big screens went to a voting webpage and we all got to see what the fans voted on for the free slot on the set list. It was Under My Thumb. So good live. But out of 4 or 5 times I've seen them I think it's the only time they played that song.

So many songs to choose from that inevitably some classics get left off or else the show would be 6 hours long.
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

This didn't make the "official" live album/DVD from the 78 tour, unfortunately......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                            Hey Ford, do they ever toss Under My Thumb into the set list? Once in the late 90's I saw them at Qualcomm Stadium and the had an open song spot. The big screens went to a voting webpage and we all got to see what the fans voted on for the free slot on the set list. It was Under My Thumb. So good live. But out of 4 or 5 times I've seen them I think it's the only time they played that song.

So many songs to choose from that inevitably some classics get left off or else the show would be 6 hours long.
                            Under My Thumb was the standard opening number for the entire 1981/82 world tour. I don't think it's been in the regular set list since then, but I'm sure I've heard a more recent version. Probably from one of those internet votes like you mentioned.

Here's the most recent performance I can find, from the Bridges to Babylon tour in 1997 (Soldier Field, Chicago)

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Ah, finally found the "finished" version of "Strictly Memphis".....

Why the Hell didn't they release this? It's easily better than 2/3 of Dirty Work!

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Early take of Honky Tonk Women here. Note the different lyrics in the second verse. And this would be before Mick Taylor joined the band and added his part to the solo.

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...