Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Kinda looks like a senior citizen's sneaker commercial...

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

You can buy DVDs with food stamps ??

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I think the key to the 78 tour (and the resulting DVD) was Keef & Charlie.

Longtime Stones fans are well aware that Charlie "follows" Keef, and that's the foundation of the musical performance. And in 78 you had Keef fresh out of rehab and completely refreshed, which in turn led Charlie to pick up the pace and play some of the most furious drumming of his life.

Contrast that with some of the performances on the 75/76 tour when Keith was smacked up out of his mind, and Charlie (as a result) actually got "lost" at times.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

When you watch that '78 show from Dallas, Keith may have been smacked out of his gourd but when you examine his guitar playing especially on tunes like 'Honky Tonk Woman' and 'Beast Of Burden' Keith is just playing brilliantly and it seems to not have a care in the world. This one from Hyde Park and even the 'Shine A Light' DVD seemed all too canned. There is just no Stones spontaneity magic or it's rare. Keith steals the show from that '78 tour.

Comment

• Mushroom
            Commando
            • Jul 2009

Put these guys out to the pasture along with the Who

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
              When you watch that '78 show from Dallas, Keith may have been smacked out of his gourd but when you examine his guitar playing especially on tunes like 'Honky Tonk Woman' and 'Beast Of Burden' Keith is just playing brilliantly and it seems to not have a care in the world. This one from Hyde Park and even the 'Shine A Light' DVD seemed all too canned. There is just no Stones spontaneity magic or it's rare. Keith steals the show from that '78 tour.
              No, Keef got off the horse in 77. The prospect of actually going to prison over heroin was a convincing argument. If he was on anything in 1978, it strictly came out of a bottle.

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
                Put these guys out to the pasture along with the Who
                Difference between The Stones and The Who is that with the Stones you still have the core of the band intact. Yeah, they're showing their age somewhat, but as long as Keef & Charlie can still hear and "feel" each other on stage, they're still gonna bring it live. And Mick can still out-perform a lot of people that could be his grandchildren. (Hell some of them probably ARE)

Most of the "power" in the Who's sound came from Entwhistle and Moon. Daltrey's voice was great in 1971. Downright intolerable now. Which pretty much leaves Pete as the only viable member of the band. He can still play well enough, but it's not enough to carry the name "The Who".
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  No, Keef got off the horse in 77. The prospect of actually going to prison over heroin was a convincing argument. If he was on anything in 1978, it strictly came out of a bottle.
                  Could be Bill Wyman then? Who knows? They played and sounded a lot better back in '78 then they do now.

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

You queers should get a room...

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Last year's Stones show I saw in Toronto was much better than '05's Bigger Bang show I saw in Detroit. Detroit was early in the tour, maybe they weren't up to speed yet.

As for videos...I still like At The Max, probably because that was the first Stones tour I went to. The Copacabana Beach show from The Biggest Bang isn't bad either.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by FORD
                        Most of the "power" in the Who's sound came from Entwhistle and Moon. Daltrey's voice was great in 1971. Downright intolerable now. Which pretty much leaves Pete as the only viable member of the band. He can still play well enough, but it's not enough to carry the name "The Who".
                        It's their name to tarnish if that's what they're doing. Entwhistle didn't mind carrying on as The Who after Moon died so I doubt he'd have a problem with Daltrey and Townsend carrying on without him now. I haven't seen The Who live since 82 but I've heard them play at the Super Bowl a couple years ago and I thought they sounded fine.
                        Beware of Dog

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

I don't give a rat's ass about 77 or 78...that was last week and I was there...

Roth Army Icon
                          First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

along with some other fans...

Last edited by DavidLeeNatra; 06-16-2014, 03:23 AM.
                            Roth Army Icon
                            First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Is that Jack Sparrow ??

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Bonnie Raitt second from right?
                                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...