Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jérôme Frenchise
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Nov 2004

Just got the '75 LA Forum audio boot. It's really worth it, and makes me really curious about the video that's about to be released.

The Stones sound tight and great, it's better than the Paris Abattoirs boots or even the Love You Live stuff for a great part, though it all doesn't smell any less of dope during and between songs.

posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Nov 2004

Edit: Well I've been further than the first few tunes of the .flac audio of that gig, and I must say it isn't all that good. Mick Jagger sounds more and more cooked song after song, and the band, apart from Bill and Charlie, isn't exactly delivering the proper Stones stuff. Even Jagger mumbles some lyrics here and there (at the beginning of Street Fighting Man for example) or he sings like he isn't really there. The '76 shows were better after all.
      Some songs are really worth it, like "All down the line" or "Rip this joint", but some are real wreckages like "Midnight Rambler" or "Sympathy".

Anyway, the video surely makes it way more attractive.
      posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
      posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The LA show really is an anomaly. Keef is so smacked up that he's barely able to stand, while Mick is off in the other direction, presumably some snow of the Colombian variety. It's really Bill, Charlie, and Woody (the rookie at the time, no less) holding the show together. And Billy Preston too, at times.

I'm still wondering how this one ever was chosen for an official release. Somebody should send Eddie Van Halen a copy and tell him he has no excuses left not to put out the VH show from the US Festival.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Nov 2004

Well, you nailed it, both about the Stones and EVH!

The best official (re-)release would be "Ladies and Gentlemen" or, but I don't think any all-through video footage was made of them, one of the 1973 Brussels gigs.
          But I think there are other releases coming up, because if they did the best now, they couldn't the lesser ones after. There are tons of concerts to release though, so I'm afraid the best ones will be released when we're old farts...

Anyway, it's fun to listen to the LA Forum gigs, I can't wait till I see the whole concert to get the picture!
          Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 11-20-2014, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Nov 2004

You got to compare what's comparable, but well...

Ladies & Gentlemen 1972:

LA Forum 1975:

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Nov 2004

I just love how Keith speaks about the band's work on "Brussels Affair":

Then I wonder what he would say about the '75 LA Forum gigs...

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I wish there were a DVD of Brussels, or any of the gigs on that 1973 tour. Those might have well been the best shows the Stones ever played. Mick Taylor really knocked it out of the park..... maybe somehow he knew it was his last chance to do so?
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

R.I.P. Bobby Keys 12/18/43 - 12/02/14

Not an official band member, but he was there since Let It Bleed, and shared a birthday with Keef. And was there on damn near every tour since..... If the Stones tour again, it won't be the same without Bobby

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Satan
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

The "twins from different mothers" (as Keef called Bobby & himself) properly disposing of a hotel TV......

Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

I hear this song and want to kill myself:

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Play it again, Sam !!!

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          Not an official band member, but he was there since Let It Bleed, and shared a birthday with Keef. And was there on damn near every tour since..... If the Stones tour again, it won't be the same without Bobby

Yeah...close to Springsteen without Clemons.

Bobby Keys was in town last year with his "other" band, the Suffering Bastards, which also includes Dan Baird from the Georgia Satellites. I should have gone, and figured I'd catch 'em next time through. Not now.

Keys gets some of the loudest applause when Jagger introduces the band.

Little article in the PD...

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Bobby Keys, the man behind the iconic sax solos on so many Rolling Stones records, has died.

The Nashville Scene reported that Keys, 70, died at his home in Franklin, Tennessee, early Tuesday morning after a lengthy battle with cirrhosis of the liver. Michael Webb, the keyboardist for Keys' band, Bobby Keys and the Suffering Bastards, confirmed the death to the Music City alternative paper.

Keys, a native of Texas, played with the Stones for more than 40 years; his is the iconic sax solo on the band's "Brown Sugar.''

A renowned session musician, he also recorded with John Lennon, Joe Cocker, Barbra Streisand, B.B. King, Carly Simon, Lynyrd Skynyrd and others.

Keys actually began his career at the age of 15, touring with Bobby Vee and the legendary Buddy Holly.

Two years ago, Keys was in town to appear at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Music Masters event honoring the Rolling Stones. That same night, Oct. 17, 2012, he and the Suffering Bastards played the Beachland Ballroom.

Cindy Barber, co-owner of Beachland, has fond memories of that night, and of the man.

"It was a brilliant show with high energy,'' she wrote in an email. "Bobby was the nicest person, quick with a smile and thank you.

"Even though he was playing our small club, he was appreciative and just wanted to have fun playing,'' she wrote. "He signed books at the merch table and i was able to get one, which is full of some the grandest tales of rock and roll ever, all told with his Southern humility.''

"Bobby Keys was one of the definitive sax players in the history of rock and roll,'' said Todd Mesek, the Rock Hall's vice president of marketing and communications, in another email. "He played with seminal artists like Buddy Holly, Del Shannon and Little Anthony and the Imperials, as well as some of the most influential U.K. bands of the '60s and '70s.

"Bobby really was a link between the beginning of rock and roll and the British Invasion and a crucial element of the Rolling Stones' sound,'' Mesek said. "He played with the Stones so often and for so long that he's really a part of the band.

"It was a honor to have him here for our Annual Music Masters tribute to the Rolling Stones last year,'' Mesek wrote. "He was an essential part of that program. Bobby was a genuinely warm, funny big-hearted man who'll be missed tremendously.''

"The Rolling Stones are devastated by the loss of their very dear friend and legendary saxophone player, Bobby Keys," the band said in a statement reported by Rolling Stone magazine. "Bobby made a unique musical contribution to the band since the 1960s. He will be greatly missed."

"I have lost the largest pal in the world and I can't express the sense of sadness I feel, although Bobby would tell me to cheer up," Stones guitarist Keith Richards said in a statement, according to Rolling Stone. "My condolences to all that knew him and his love of music."

Rolling Stones sax player Bobby Keys died of cirrhosis at his home in Franklin, Tennessee, on Tuesday. The man behind so many iconic sax solos -- including the one on "Brown Sugar'' -- was 70.
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

But back to the DVDs...got the LA one the other day. What's left? The only show I can think of is the Steel Wheels show from Atlantic City that aired on FOX. Pretty sure everything since then is on DVD. Maybe not Let's Spend The Night Together?
                            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Satan
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

The Stones themselves might not own the rights to "Let's Spend The Night Together". Could be Hal Ashby or the movie company that released it (forget which one it was). But with the Hampton VA show from that tour out now, they might not think it's that important to release the movie.

I would think anything that previously aired as a pay-per-view show, such as Atlantic City 1989 or the Miami gig from the Voodoo Lounge tour would be obvious candidates for future archive releases. Or (since the Woody era seems to dominate the releases already) they might want to go back and release something from the 1969 tour that's NOT Hyde Park or Altamont! Supposedly several shows from that tour were professionally filmed and recorded for the movie that eventually became "Gimme Shelter" but very little audio and no video has leaked out over the years. Of course that means Allen Klein's brats probably own the rights to it.
                              Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                              I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

That Miami show is on DVD. I have it. If they clean it up, I hope they take Whoopi Goldberg out.

I think Let's Spend... was an Embassy movie. Wiki sez Lion's Gate released it on DVD in 2010. I did not know that.

Comment

Working...