• Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

QB Tim Rattay traded from 49ers to Buccaneers

By FRED GOODALL, AP Sports Writer

October 18, 2005

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers braced for life without Brian Griese on Tuesday, acquiring Tim Rattay from the San Francisco 49ers to back up young quarterbacks Chris Simms and Luke McCown.

The Bucs sent what was believed to be a sixth-round draft choice to the 49ers for Rattay, a six-year veteran who recently lost his caretaker hold on San Francisco's starting job to No. 1 overall draft pick Alex Smith.

Griese injured his left knee during Sunday's 27-13 victory over Miami, though the Bucs still haven't said how long he will be sidelined after helping them to a 5-1 start.

``We're getting some more analysis,'' general manager Bruce Allen said. ``He's still on the team. He is wanting to play. We're hopeful that he can. But we're going to get the proper medical opinion.''

Allen declined to discuss specifics of the injury, which occurred when Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas rolled into Griese's leg, or what doctors have told the team about the quarterback's status.

What's clear, though, is Griese will be out for a lengthy time.

Simms replaced him against the Dolphins and will have two weeks to prepare for his first start of the season because Tampa Bay has a bye this Sunday. Oddly enough, the Buccaneers' next game is in San Francisco on Oct. 30.

San Francisco coach Mike Nolan initially was reluctant to make the deal, which puts the 49ers' future even more squarely on the shoulders of Smith, who made five turnovers in his first NFL start on Oct. 9.

But Nolan liked the draft pick, the roster room created by the trade and the chance to exploit the team's depth at quarterback. Though Nolan refused to disclose the draft pick acquired, he acknowledged it could improve if Rattay reaches certain performance standards.

``This was a difficult decision for me, because I've learned some things about Tim,'' said Nolan, who wasn't impressed by Rattay's placid demeanor during training camp. ``I think he is a good solid backup, and that's an important role on any team. ... It wasn't so much that he didn't fit in. It was just that Alex was the guy that we drafted.''

Ken Dorsey, who started seven games last season while San Francisco went a league-worst 2-14, will be Smith's backup. Fourth-stringer Cody Pickett, who has played on the Niners' special teams in recent weeks, will be No. 3.

``We're one of very few teams that kept four quarterbacks this year, and one of the reasons was there was a high chance that at this time, somebody would be looking for a quarterback,'' Nolan said. ``It just so happened Tampa Bay was on a hunt because they needed somebody.''

Allen said the Bucs explored the prospect of acquiring Rattay during the offseason and were excited to find he was available before the NFL trading deadline of 4 p.m. Tuesday. Paul Hackett, the Bucs' quarterbacks coach, mentored 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy and QBs coach Jim Hostler earlier in their careers.

To make room on the active roster, the team released rookie fullback Rick Razzano.

``We feel he'll be a great fit for our team,'' Allen said. ``He'll come in and be our No. 3 quarterback. It gives us some great insurance and a feeling that we can sleep at night that we have a bona fide NFL starter.''

Simms and McCown, like Rattay a former standout at Louisiana Tech, have made a combined six starts as pros -- all last season when Simms made two for the Bucs and McCown started four as a rookie in Cleveland.

Rattay, a seventh-round pick in 2000 who spent four years backing up Jeff Garcia, started nine games last season and beat out Smith in training camp this year. But he struggled behind San Francisco's terrible offensive line after an opening victory over St. Louis, and Nolan decided to put his $49 million rookie into the lineup.

``He was the best quarterback we thought could help us right now,'' Allen said. ``And the fact that he has experience allowed us to look at enough tape ... we feel very comfortable we know what we're getting.''

At Louisiana Tech, Rattay started 33 games, finishing second in NCAA history with 12,746 yards passing. He was the third player in NCAA history with more than 100 career touchdown passes.

• redblkwht
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

If Simms was all that, Greise
    wouldnt be starting..
    I read hes great in practice
    but not in games.

EUAS

Comment

• MAX
      Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Fuckin' Griese just can't catch a break. I'm one of the very few Broncos fans who thinks he's a great quarterback.
      EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

His team mates hated in Denver I heard.

Got drunk and stupid at Terrell Davis' house and got punched.

Comment

• MAX
          Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Not exactly true Al.

The fans didn't dig him. I remember when we first signed Plummer and Griese was still on the team. Both Shannon Sharpe and Rod Smith said how weird it was seeing Griese, working out with him all whilst knowing he was going to be shipped.

The players liked him a lot.
          EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• ALinChainz
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Yeah, but I know he got socked at Terrell's. He was also arrested at U of M at a bar for being a dickhead after they cut him off, threw a chair through the front window or some shit.

And if you look at his career numbers, his best year was an injury shortened year and the other seasons, he was pretty average.

One decent season in Tampa last year, but wasn't exactly tearing it up before his injury.

There's a reason they got rid of him.

Comment

• MAX
              Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Oh, that was my initial point. It seems like any/everytime he gets shit clicking, he's plagued by injuries.

In Denver he was given such a fucked up spot to begin with. In his first year as a starter, Bubby Brister was earmaked as Elway's replacement and that's what the Back to Back Superbowl Champions wanted. However, Brister just thought it was his before it began and blew goat balls not only in practice but in pre-season. Griese shined and Shannahan saw it.

Griese had a lot of good moments in Denver but it was bad timing. Davis got hurt in that first year as did one of his biggest supporters in Sharpe. Then Sharpe was traded to The Ravens the following season, blah, blah.

I also know about Griese's love for the beeya. He got a DUI in Denver and took it like a man.

I'm just sayin' he's a stellar quarterback, he just seems to be jinxed.
              EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• ALinChainz
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

The Lions had a shot at drafting him, they fucking took Charlie Batch.

I would have rather had Griese believe me, injuries or not.

Comment

• MAX
                  Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Yeah, I remember watching Batch back in Detroit the same year Sanders unexpectedly retired. He sucks.
                  EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Thing is, I believe Denver started a little rumor that they were interested in Batch and Detroit actually moved up to take him, and Denver stood pat and drafted Griese.

Damn Broncos anyway ...

Comment

• MAX
                      Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Ughhhhh.....

Was Batch drafted in '98 as well as Griese?

Didn't know that.
                      EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

Working...