04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Sports columnist Hal Lebovitz dies

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Bob Dolgan
    Plain Dealer Reporter

One of the shining moments of Hal Lebovitz's remarkable sportswriting career came in September 1964, when the news broke that the Indians might be moving from Cleveland to Seattle.

Lebovitz, then sports editor of The Plain Dealer, was incensed that anyone would have the effrontery to deprive Cleveland of its oldest sports institution.

He angrily placed the photos of the baseball team's board of directors across the top of Page One of the Sports section. "Pictured here are the 18 deep-rooted Clevelanders who will hold in their hands the baseball future of their city," the accompanying story said.

Lebovitz treated the directors as though they were about to commit a crime. "How could they possibly think of raping their own city of major league ball," he wrote.

It was a master stroke. Stripped of their cloak of anonymity, the directors soon pulled back.

Encouraged by a ticket-pledging campaign by the Growth Board, which was well-publicized by Lebovitz, they voted to keep the team in town.

Lebovitz, 89, died of cancer in University Hospitals Tuesday morning.

He is survived by his wife, the former Marge Glassman. They were married 67 years. He always referred to her as "my bride" in columns. His son, Neil, and daughter, Lynn, also survive.

Marathon man
    He was one of the most influential sportswriters in Cleveland history, a fixture on the local sports scene for more than 60 years. Starting in the 1940s, he wrote for the old Cleveland News, The Plain Dealer and - for the last 21 years - the Lake County News Herald.

His News Herald work, including a popular Sunday sports notes column, was also published locally in the Morning Journal in Lorain. And until recently, he appeared regularly on local cable television to voice his opinions on the local sports scene.

Lebovitz worked for The Plain Dealer for 25 years and was sports editor from 1964 to 1981, succeeding the legendary Gordon Cobbledick.

Lebovitz's most famous column was "Never Cut a Boy," which was reprinted annually for many years after its first appearance in 1964. The piece reprimanded high school coaches who cut youngsters from their teams. It was supposedly inspired by the experience of his son, Neil, who several years earlier was cut from the Cleveland Heights football team after one calisthenics drill and was never given a chance to play again.

Lebovitz, a lifelong Clevelander, wrote in a conversational, often emotional style. Other writers may have been more elegant, but few had more to say.

He once described his philosophy of writing: "Every time I put a piece of paper in the typewriter, I remind myself to write for the reader, the man in the street. I ask myself what he wants to read. The simplest kind of writing is the best."

Hard worker
    He strove for clarity, mumbling to himself at the typewriter as he searched for words that would make his stories and columns easy to read.

Some critics patronized his work, but he probably won more writing awards - 35 - than any sportswriter in Cleveland journalism. Cobbledick praised him as the hardest-working sportswriter he ever met.

To Lebovitz, the key to writing was the story, not how it was told. He was extremely competitive and hated to be beaten. His pursuit of news earned him the nickname "Scoop," pinned on him by envious rivals in his baseball-writing days.

He was inducted into the writers wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2000, one of 11 halls of fame in which he was enshrined. His stories appeared 18 times in a E.S. Dutton Co. book, "Best Sports Stories of the Year."

Deli stories
    He may not have strived for literature, but his pieces on the gang at the Deli, featuring the all-knowing Maven and Ta-Ta-Ta (who constantly hummed popular tunes) were pure entertainment.

Always on the lookout for the unusual story, he wrote of the time his son asked him to cease and desist coaching him from the stands when he was playing Little League ball. A former baseball umpire, he once went behind the plate to call an Indians spring training game, and wrote about that.

In 1957, he started the "Ask Hal, the Referee" column, in which he answered readers' questions, and continued it for the rest of his career. His stories appeared in The Sporting News, Sport Magazine, Colliers and the Saturday Evening Post.

Lebovitz attended Glenville High School, graduated from Western Reserve University with a chemistry degree in 1938 and got a master's degree from Western Reserve in 1944. He was on the basketball team in college.

Started game
    He is credited with inventing the game of Four Corners - in which four players hand-bounce a volleyball on the sidewalk, with each player protecting his block of concrete - while working as playground director at Stanard School during his days at Western Reserve. He was a longtime basketball and football referee and baseball umpire. He taught science and math at Euclid Central High, where he was also head coach in basketball and football.

In the 1940s, with many sportswriters away during World War II, Lebovitz began giving sports items about various school teams to the Press and the News, Cleveland's other daily newspapers. Herman Goldstein, News sports editor, gave him a full-time job with the paper at $75 a week, roughly doubling his teacher's pay of $2,100 a year.

In 1948, Lebovitz ghosted "Pitchin' Man," an autobiography of Indians hurler Leroy "Satchel" Paige, which quoted his famed rules of living, such as, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you."

In 1950 he became the Indians beat writer for the News, a post he held until 1960. He covered the beat with energy and thoroughness during one of the most successful periods in Indians history, including the 1954 run to the pennant, when the Indians set an American League record of 111 victories in a 154-game season.

Lebovitz originated the term, "Don't Knock the Rock," in reference to Indians idol Rocky Colavito. When Luke Easter hit a long drive into the upper deck of the right field seats, Lebovitz got a tape and measured it at 477 feet, the longest hit in Stadium history.

He was not afraid to tell stories on himself. When he wrote something critical about Indians outfielder Dale Mitchell, he reported that Mitchell asked him, "Hal, do you have a brother?" When Lebovitz replied that he did, Mitchell said, "Well, he can go to hell too."

Never missed a day
    When the News folded in 1960, The Plain Dealer hired Lebovitz the next day, making him the first News alumnus to join this newspaper. When Cobbledick retired in 1964, Lebovitz was named sports editor.

His father was not impressed. According to Lebovitz, he continually begged him to give up the unimportant job of sportswriting and become a doctor. "I'll pay your way through medical school," his father said when Lebovitz was already in his 40s. But Lebovitz loved sports too much to leave.

When the running craze began in the late 1960s, Lebovitz quickly became a devoted disciple and wrote numerous columns on the subject. He ran seven miles in 70 minutes to celebrate his 65th birthday. The running reshaped his appearance, giving him a lean look under a shock of white hair. He ran well into his 80s.

When the NBA's Cincinnati Royals played 10 games a season in Cleveland for several years, Lebovitz christened them the Ohio Royals. The strong publicity he gave the basketball team led to the birth of the Cavaliers in 1970.

He was best known for his long Sunday columns on Page 2, in which he would expound on all topics, telling stories and giving opinions under the title "Hal Asks." Despite his penchant for writing long, he would tell staffers, "Write it tight and bright."

He scooped the nation with his story of Browns running back Jim Brown's retirement to become a movie star in 1965. When Browns owner Art Modell fired the great coach Paul Brown during a newspaper strike in 1963, Lebovitz rounded up the top Cleveland sportswriters and put out a magazine discussing the move.

Lebovitz had a close relationship with Modell, whom he never criticized until the franchise was transferred to Baltimore in 1995. Lebovitz labeled them the Baltimore (Ugh) Ravens for several years.

Lebovitz joined the News-Herald in 1984. He worked almost to the end, continuing his popular Sunday notes columns until two weeks ago. He was a weekly guest on Les Levine's talk show on Adelphia TV, making his last appearance three weeks back. In 2004, Gray Publishing Co. brought out a book of Lebovitz columns, called, "Best of Hal."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Never Cut a Boy

Hal Lebovitz's most famous column was "Never Cut a Boy," which was reprinted annually for many years after its first appearance in 1964. Here are excerpts from that column.

Consider this an open letter to every high school football coach, principal and superintendent:

Football practice is now under way. The boys have reported; they have been issued uniforms. This is what happened here to one boy not too many years ago:

The boy had just entered high school. All summer he looked forward to the opening of football practice. He enjoyed contact. He had tossed a football around almost from the day he left his crib. His dream was to play on the high school varsity.

On August 20 he reported for the first day of practice. "You'll have to furnish your own shoes and you'll need $7.50 for insurance," the junior varsity coach told him. The boy rushed out to buy a pair of shoes. Cost $20.

He returned the next day carrying them proudly, paid his $7.50 insurance fee, did calisthenics with the squad and at the end of the session he was cut. So were several other boys - all dropped from the squad after one session of calisthenics.

The boy rushed to a telephone and called his dad's office. Unable to withhold the tears, he sobbed, "I was cut."

"Go back tomorrow," the father suggested gently. "Maybe there was a mistake."

The boy returned, finally summoned sufficient courage to ask the coach for another chance. "Come back in two weeks," said the coach.

Two weeks later the boy carried his new shoes back to practice. "Sorry," said the coach, "we haven't time to look at you now. Come back after school starts."

The boy did. This time the coach apparently had no alternative. He gave the boy a uniform. Within a week, he cut the boy once more.

The boy was crushed, completely. The father advised, "Try next year, son."

"No," said the boy. "I don't want to be humiliated again."

The boy never did try out again. He never followed the team. His interest in the school was never the same. The cleats on his $20 shoes are slightly worn - from football on the neighborhood lot. They remain the heartbroken memento of his brief high school football experience.

Later, the father checked with the coach. "We can't handle sixty boys," he offered lamely. "We didn't want your son to get hurt."

If you are such a coach, I strongly urge you to quit. Mr. Principal and Mr. Superintendent, if your school has such a coach, get rid of him fast. Either that, or drop football; a game in which anybody's son can get hurt.

I speak as a former football coach who never cut a boy. I firmly believe there are lessons to be learned on the football field that have valuable carryovers in life. . . .

Football takes some stomach. A boy who doesn't have it will quit of his own accord. The fields are big. They can accommodate large squads. Let the boy hang around. Let him do calisthenics. Let him run until he's out of breath. Let him scrimmage with the fourth and fifth teams after the regulars are finished.

But don't cut him. If he hasn't got it, he'll cut himself. If he has it, he'll stick it out. He'll be a better man for the experience and, by the time he's a senior, he'll surprise you. He'll help make you a winner.

So, coach, hold that knife. Why plunge it into a boy's heart.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

it's too bad...guy really knew his shit. and he's a hell of a writer, almost conversational.

one more reason not to read the News Herald...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Damn...that's sad news indeed...

Hate not being home for any of this shit...

I had no fucking clue he was even sick...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

no one at the News Herald did, either. my boss' wife works there, says they didn't know how bad he was until Monday. Tuesday he was gone.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Christ...had he still been writing?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

from what i've heard, he was writing up until two weeks ago. he made his last appearance on a local sports show three weeks ago.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Damn...I wonder if this was a..."You've got cancer...call all your relatives and friends..."

Or if he knew for a bit of time...

hasto440

hal lebovitz question/help

i was reading your thread and noticed you talkin about a newspaper strike in 1963 and hal lebovitz rounding up other writers and coming out with a little book type about the fireing of coach paul brown. i have one of those that i inherited from my grandfather im a huge browns fan.i thought it look great in my browns collection.my question is.is it worth anything or have any great significance.thank you i would greatly appreciate it.

Thread Information