DAVE wrote "Intruder"? Who woulda thunk?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo

Intruder was recorded right about the time when Ed was getting his deal going with Moog Synthesizers. Listen to the backing keyboard rhythms on Dancin in the Street simular sound and effects. Could be Dave wanking around on the keys may sparked the idea behind the main intruder backing riff. But it all sounds too Edward to me.
    Moog deal ? Never heard 'bout that one before.

I recall Ed saying he used an Electro Harmonix Micro Synth for "Dancin", "Intruder" and "Sunday afternoon in the Park/One foot out the door".......

Or was it a Korg? Anyway I'm pretty sure it was the E.H. Micro Synth !
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Very interesting.

At the same time, the keyboard in that song is nothing special. I've always thought of INTRUDER as a complete throwaway.
      Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• rustoffa
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Dave called it a "Moog Sympathiser."

Wade through the irony.....

Comment

• Matt White
          • Jun 2004

And...if you read the except....

DAVE didn't play on the version on "DIVER DOWN"......

He did the demo........

Very sneaky!!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Intruder is fucking tedious rubbish and should never have been on the album.

If I was Dave I would keep quiet about doing it...

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

I fucking LOVE "INTRUDER".......

Didn't DAVE play the intro to "THE FULL BUG" at the US FESTIVAL?!?!

Hmmmmmm.......I am begining to notice a pattern people.....

Comment

• Brett
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Dave wrote all of Eddie's riffs and showed him how to play them too, didn't you guys know that.

In fact I think it was Dave's idea for Eddie to play guitar, pretty sure he orchestrated that too.

Wait wait, don't forget Dave invented the internet too.
                Last edited by Brett; 10-25-2005, 01:58 AM.

Comment

• MAX
                  Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Intruder fucking kicks ass!!!

I've explained a thousand times how I mistook that tune for an auto parts commercial when I was cleaning my room as a kid, found out it was Halen, immediately rode my bike down to the local record shop and bought "Diver Down" when it was first released.

However and sorry Taeo, but I dunno what to make of Dave's statement. Heck, it could be true that they all made it up on the spot? I do have an old Guitar Player interview with Ed when he was actually proud of "Diver Down" and the video story is the same as Dave's version.

Ed said that he and Alexia were just jamming and that he (Ed) came up with the whole thing using a Schlitz can as a slide.

Maybe it's true that Dave contributed? I dunno? :confused:

After all these years, I didn't know that Dave knew how to play keyboards?

Regardless, "The Full Bug" intro tis' beyond accurate. Ed says it in the same interview. Dave played that on acoustic.
                  Last edited by MAX; 10-25-2005, 02:10 AM.
                  EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Brett
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I'm telling you man, there ain't a riff Eddie played that Dave didn't come up with.

Comment

• Brett
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Didn't we have this whole argument about the "Full Bug" intro years ago? There is also an interview with Eddie where he says that it was completely a rumor that Dave played that on the recording. I still maintain that sounds absolutely like nothing like Dave, and totally like Ed's playing. One day we'll fucking get the truth from someone.

Comment

• MAX
                        Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Brett
                        Didn't we have this whole argument about the "Full Bug" intro years ago? There is also an interview with Eddie where he says that it was completely a rumor that Dave played that on the recording. I still maintain that sounds absolutely like nothing like Dave, and totally like Ed's playing. One day we'll fucking get the truth from someone.
                        Hahahaha!!!

Yup,

It was you and me.

Hold on, I've got the mag handy and I'll find the quote.

I'll even scan it for you when I get the whole computer back up. My home office caught a virus over a week ago and I fucking lost EVERYTHING!!! We're still putting it back together and I don't have the HP hooked back up yet.
                        EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• MAX
                          Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Ok Norton!!!

I gotcha and I'll even send you the mag!!! lol.

It's a "Best Of Guitar Player" Mag and I would assume circa 1992 or '93 judging by all of the EBMM ads and the latest interviews were about LRHRN.

The cover has Ed on the VHII tour cos he's got the Yellow Striped Charvel.

It's entitled : VAN HALEN: UNPUBLISHED INTERVIEWS!

It reads:

"In 1978, Young Eddie Van Halen used to call us at 3 A.M. to talk guitars, song, ideas and life on the road.

We kept the tape running..."

Anyway, in an interview with Jas Obrecht entitled "THE VAN HALEN TAPES" on page 24, here it is:

Q: Does Dave play the acoustic on "The Full Bug"?

A: Edward: Yeah, he plays the intro.

EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Brett
                            Dave wrote all of Eddie's riffs and showed him how to play them too, didn't you guys know that.

In fact I think it was Dave's idea for Eddie to play guitar, pretty sure he orchestrated that too.

Wait wait, don't forget Dave invented the internet too.
                            He also played the clarinet on Big Bad Bill.

All that stuff about Eddie's father was bullshit!
                            Originally posted by perilouspete
                            fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• fatmanwalking
                              Full On Cocktard
                              • Apr 2005

Well I will believe Dave came up with all the CVH stuff when his solo stuff starts to compare to it.

Love the guy but he was the singer in the band.

Yeah he played the intro to Ice Cream Man and if Eddie said he played on the intro to the Full Bug then he did that.

No way he played the intro to Take Your Whiskey Home. Any guitarist worth his salt can hear Eddie's vibe coming out of that.

BTW, Eddie also played the acoustic guitar on Big Bad Bill. He said it was a blast sitting next to his dad while reading the charts for the song. The bass player had a stand up bass as well.

Comment

• Matt White
                                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by fatmanwalking
                                Well I will believe Dave came up with all the CVH stuff when his solo stuff starts to compare to it.

Love the guy but he was the singer in the band.

Yeah he played the intro to Ice Cream Man and if Eddie said he played on the intro to the Full Bug then he did that.

No way he played the intro to Take Your Whiskey Home. Any guitarist worth his salt can hear Eddie's vibe coming out of that.

BTW, Eddie also played the acoustic guitar on Big Bad Bill. He said it was a blast sitting next to his dad while reading the charts for the song. The bass player had a stand up bass as well.
                                Yeah...thanks for sharin'...

the van hagar recordings sure reflected the guitar genius of EVH.....

THe guy has SUCKED for the past 20 years....

I'm startin' to think DAVE played ERUPTION...and taught it to EVH

Comment

Working...