Arrests made in counter-terrorism raids

Police say that 15 arrests have been made during a series of counter-terrorism raids in Sydney and Melbourne early today.

New South Wales Police Commissioner Moroney says more than 400 police officers have been involved in raids on 15 homes in south-western Sydney.

He says they have arrested six men in Sydney and nine men in Victoria, who are alleged to be planning a terrorist attack in Australia.

"They're currently being interviewed by police and my expectation is that they will appear in Sydney courts this morning," he said.

Commissioner Moroney says a terrorist attack has been foiled.

"I am satisfied that we have disrupted what I would regard as the final stages of a terrorist attack or the launch of a terrorist attack in Australia," he said.

The planned target of the attack is not known.

The Commissioner says the raids are the result of a three-year investigation.
Laws amended

The raids follow an urgent amendment to the Federal Government's anti-terrorism laws that was rushed through Parliament last week.

The Government is due to table its major package of counter-terrorism laws.

Labor's shadow attorney-general, Nicola Roxon, says the party's support will be conditional on the Coalition abandoning provisions in the legislation against subversive speech.

She says even federal Attorney-General Philip Ruddock has admitted they are not properly drafted.

"He should conduct a review on the sedition offences and put that forward as a separate proposal," Ms Roxon said.

Some Coalition MPs have also expressed concern about the sedition laws.

There are also other concerns among backbenchers.

Liberal backbencher Steve Ciobo wants a bill of rights.

"It's not that I think the balance is wrong - I support the terror laws, I support the direction the Government's going in," he said.

He says the public needs reassuring rights will be protected.

Link