Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 3,461 Posts

Oil Executives in the Hot Seat

Oil executives in the hot seat
    Senate hearing on oil pricing, record profits set; will normally friendly Republicans turn hostile?

November 8, 2005: 10:10 AM EST
    By Chris Isidore, CNN/Money senior writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - CEOs from the nation's biggest oil companies face a grilling in Congress Wednesday before a joint Senate committee hearing on energy prices and record industry profits.

The hearing, before members of both the Senate Energy and Commerce committees, will hear from CEO's of the nation's three largest oil companies -- Exxon Mobil (Research), Chevron (Research), ConocoPhillips (Research), as well as the heads of the U.S. units of BP (Research) and Shell Petroleum (Research).

The five will be forced to defend strong industry profits that followed the spike in gasoline prices in recent months. The executives could face hostile questioning from Republican lawmakers, who are usually their allies on Capitol Hill.

The profits of the oil and gas companies in the Standard & Poor's 500 index rose about 62 percent in the third quarter to about $25.9 billion, excluding special items, compared to a year ago, according to earnings tracker First Call. Exxon Mobil reported the largest profit in U.S. corporate history during the quarter.

That jump in profits followed year-over-year growth of 42 percent for the industry in the second quarter, according to First Call, and full-year profit growth forecast to be up 49 percent. And the profits are expected to disappear any time soon. Analysts surveyed by First Call expect industry earnings to be up another 13 percent in 2006.

Oil industry stocks have retreated about 11 percent from the highs reached in September when oil and gas prices were near record highs. But even with that retreat in stock and oil prices, the Amex oil index still shows a nearly 40 percent rise for oil stocks over the last 12 months.

The executives testimony happens as millions of Americans face sharply higher home heating bills this winter. One Republican set to hear testimony and ask questions, Olympia Snowe of Maine, called on the major oil companies to voluntarily contribute to a federal program that helps low-income families pay part of their winter heating bills.

"It is deeply concerning and, frankly, outrageous that oil companies are boasting record-breaking profits," said a statement from Snowe, a member of the Commerce committee. "These large energy companies simply must not unfairly and overwhelmingly benefit at the expense of our nation's citizens, for whom heating fuel is a basic necessity of life."

The heating sticker shock will come despite a recent retreat in oil prices in world markets. Gasoline prices have also retreated in recent weeks.

A survey Sunday by analyst Trilby Lundberg found the average price at the pump fell to $2.43, about 20 cents a gallon below their pre-Katrina level. Oil futures have been hovering near or below the $60 a barrel benchmark in recent days.

The committee will also hear from Federal Trade Commission chairman Deborah Platt Majoras, as well as state attorneys general from New Jersey, South Carolina and Arizona.

The AG's from New Jersey and South Carolina, the former a Democrat, the latter a Republican, have both brought price gouging suits against oil companies and gas station owners since the post-Hurricane Katrina price spike.

Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard, a Democrat, has proposed an anti-gouging law in that state.

Even some Republican leaders have been critical of oil industry profits reported in the third quarter, and one, Sen. Judd Gregg of New Hampshire, said last month that Congress should consider reinstituting an excess profit tax on oil companies, with some of the proceeds going to help consumers pay for their higher fuel bills.

Democrat Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., has proposed such a "windfall profit" tax, but so far has yet to get any Republican co-sponsors for his proposal.

For more on the chances of a windfall profit tax being imposed on the oil industry, click here. Top of page
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Good. I say roaste them over an oil-fueled fire.

BURN BABY BURN!!!!

Fucking bastards.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Damn I am ripe with typos this morning!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

They're profits won't last long. Because stations like Racetrac, QT & Liberty are kicking they're asses right now when it comes to prices.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
    They're profits won't last long. Because stations like Racetrac, QT & Liberty are kicking they're asses right now when it comes to prices.
    But who owns those stations, and/or who's supplying their oil?

There's a "Liberty" gas station about a mile away from here, but it's really an Exxon station. Of course I don't buy their shit. No Exxon in my tank since it leaked out of Captain Hazelwood's.....

Must say I was tempted back when gas first hit $2.00. Their pumps weren't capable of selling for more than $1.99. Apparently that was the capacity of the pumps when they were built in the 1960's, and nobody ever dreamed gas would go higher than $2.00.

(Because there is no goddamned reason it should be, even now)

So they had to keep their price at a "loss-leading" $1.99// per gallon while the competition across the street was around $2.15

Not that the pure volume of business didn't keep them going until the new hardware showed up. For those who aren't bothered by criminally irresponisble corporations, anyway

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2010 @ 04:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I just filled up an hour ago for $1.99 a gallon.
    I can't remember the last time i saw it below $2.00 and i wish i had 10 cars to fill just to take advantage of it, lol.

I don't give a fuck if an oil company profits from it's product, just don't go raising prices on us while they're still making record profits, it just isn't right.

Think about this, what if the Oil Companies decided to stop refining for a week or so?
    Think about $50 for a gallon of gas, they are rich enough that they could put the screws to us but good if they wanted to.
    We are dependant on their product and if we stop to think for a second we would quickly figure out that we don't have a say in what they charge at any given time.

But the bottom line is that i see what some countries pay for a gallon of gas and i feel lucky that we have had it so good for so long.

$1.99 put a mother fucking smile on my face today, that's all i'm sayin', lol.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-12-2020 @ 06:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The oil companies can say "fuck you, we'll sell our oil to China. Kiss my ass."

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ODShowtime
    The oil companies can say "fuck you, we'll sell our oil to China. Kiss my ass."
    Exactly, that is one thing i noticed when i saw coverage of those Senate Meetings...I was thinking that those fuckers better be watching what they say and not come off as though they can tell them what to do, but it went rather well, very civil for the most part.

But really, we should all be carefull how much we bitch about fuel prices and leave the arrogance at home when going to the pump.

Unless you drive an electric car and live in a Solar Home with your own fruit and vegetable garden out back, then go ahead and rip them a new one, you'll be entitled to do so...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-18-2024 @ 10:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks

If they were trying to rob people blind, gas would still be $3.50 a gallon.

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

At any given moment they could have just said, "You know what, you can go fuck yourselves", and then walked out.

We should be digging a hole in Alaska and putting two new refineries on the Map so we can steam roll the broken down death traps in operation now.
    Then we need to store one barrel away for every two that gets refined.

I believe that we should do this in steps, first one being reducing our dependance on foreign oil, and that means digging in our own backyard, people.
    Then once we are supporting most if not all of our own demand, we get totally focused and 100% serious about alternative fuel technologies.

But this topic depresses me because it is yet another huge picture of
    where we used to do something in this country but don't any more.
    Besides, i get all excited as if i can really do something about our energy problems. Once a dreamer always a dreamer...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 3,461 Posts

Originally posted by Warham
    If they were trying to rob people blind, gas would still be $3.50 a gallon.
    I believe that would be collusion and price gouging...

They know not to push it too far...But the oil companies are pushing nevertheless.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-12-2020 @ 06:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

some investment in new refineries would help.

but that comes from the bottom line

Thread Information