Thread: Thoughts on CVH reunion having just seen Roth

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thoughts on CVH reunion having just seen Roth

First off, was pretty much opposed to CVH getting back together. What was a great idea in 1996 has, to me, sounded like something more and more over the last 9 years as an undertaking that should best be left alone. Particularly since the 2004 Van Hagar shows. Knew from seeing Dave in 1999 and 2002 that he was still up for it, but Ed's state last year kinda raised questions in my own mind about it. Plus, I wasn't really bowled over with what Dave did w/the Boston Pops recently, or the Diamond Dave CD.

Was asking myself if I really wanted to see a CVH reunion where Dave wasn't gonna be able to kick as high, or do leaping splits from the drum riser...I mean, it's not just Eddie's abilities that had me concerned. Plus, Dave's voice isn't 100% what it used to be. Not shot and washed up, but he ain't gonna be doin' no Outta Love Again anymore either, understand?

And a lot of it had to do with seeing the band in 1984, and still remembering the show (despite being buzzed on cheap homegrown and peppermint Schnapps) and how overwhelmingly excellent they were, and not wanting to see them reform and not live up to that expectation. Hell, the 1984 tour wasn't even their best series of shows, and they were still THAT fucking good...

But having caught Dave again recently, I didn't find myself having a problem with his lower-key performance style in the context of a CVH reunion anymore. By lower key, I don't mean that he was boring, either. Just in terms of the amount of screams and physicality of it. I had a great time at a good show. And as the band were playing, I remember thinking that it may or may not have sounded better if Ed, Al and Mike were there now, but my reaction to it wouldn't have been that much more positive...Brian Young was doin' fine, the whole thing sounded great, Dave was working the lower registers of his voice more than I'm used to, but his enthusiasm was, as ever, infectious. I mean, even if it was just another show for him and his enthusiasm was manufactured (am talking worse case-scenario/devil's advocate here), so fucking what? Everyone that I saw totally dug it, everyone's hands were in the air, everyone knew all the words and had fun. Didn't see any signs of Roth phoning it in at all...and this was a gig where people were paying $10 a pop to get in and eat ribs, drink a few and see a bunch of other bands where Roth was the headliner. Roth didn't appear to be taking the audience response for granted, or come off as cocky, or whatever.

So, why the fuck NOT have CVH reunite? It might not turn out to be the most earth-shattering concert experience ever, but it doesn't HAVE to be in order to get off. Hell, I'll even go one better; CVH don't even need to make a new album of killer material to go out on the road, either. I know, I know...said I wouldn't wanna be bothered with going to see CVH doing oldies-only. Well, fuck it. I changed my mind. Let 'em reunite, rehearse thouroghly (THAT is still a prerequisite - don't wanna hear Ed fumbling around with RWTD RHYTHM parts for fuck's sake!), hit the road and swing on through that back catalog one more time. Like I've said: If you can go to a Roth show and not have a good time, you've got problems. Don't think ANYONE, even the most die-hard Eddie acolytes who parrot all of Ed and Al's bs about hating Roth, would fail to have a good time at a CVH reunion show.

Sad part is, it probably won't happen anyway, and I am in sympathy with those who say they go to Roth shows these days thinking this will be the last one. He ain't gonna be doing it forever.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    dave will be quick to forget his few fans if the radio gig does well. he's only doing the odd show now for money, not for the fans. i don't give a damn what anyone thinks, roth is all about the money, the er training was just a pathetic way to get a headline. if he gave a shit, then he should do a little farewell tour. "phonebooths across north america" will sell out in minutes.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ritetoolforjob
    I will be quick to forget women if my time on the HOT-MALE CHAT LINE goes well. I'm only pretending to like women out of old habit, not because I'm actually attracted to them. i don't give a damn what anyone thinks, I'm all about the hairy male ass, the whole "I like women" thing was just a pathetic way to try and get people to like me. if you're a man (especially a big hairy one) and give a shit, then you should PM me. I'm willing to stretch my ass out in minutes.
    I bet.
    Twistin' by the pool.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    dave will be quick to forget his few fans if the radio gig does well. he's only doing the odd show now for money, not for the fans. i don't give a damn what anyone thinks, roth is all about the money, the er training was just a pathetic way to get a headline. if he gave a shit, then he should do a little farewell tour. "phonebooths across north america" will sell out in minutes.
    Wow.

Say, um, if you really believe all of that...not that I'm, you know, trying to censor you or restrict your freedom to join whatever internet group you want/express yourself in any way ('cuz I'm not)...but, well...

.........what the fuck are you even doing around here?:confused:

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are totally incorrect.

DLR hasn't been touring all summer for the money...are you kidding me? If you had any brain larger than the size of a pea, you'd figure out the math. His concert tickets this summer ranged in the average of $20-35.00. His venues were relatively small....maybe 300 - 500 +, split between himself, his band and perhaps his manager.....DLR didn't stand to make a large profit at the end of the day. He didn't do very many shows this year as the EMT training/volunteering has been another part of his schedule.

DLR has been doing those concerts for us to keep the music of CVH alive and giving it to us because he knows there is a huge market for it STILL. He knows we have to rely on Tribute Bands like the Atomic Punks, Hot for Teacher, etc. to get our VH Fix.

If DLR was simply doing it for the $$$, he would have had his management book him in either bigger venues or more of them to make up the cost of bringing those shows to us.

Some places he played in Oregon, etc., his tickets were only $10-15.00 - how much profit is in THAT ???

Sasquatch Hunter
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ...Said the man with the 'rite tool' in his ass.

You're still a Fag.
    23. That's the number of people Mr. T has pitied in the time it has taken you to read this sentence.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know what you mean. From 1996 - 2003 or so a CVH reunion would have been the best thing I could think of to happen in music. But after catching Sam and Dave in 2004, then VH with Sam, and DLR at the ribfest....I just dont really care anymore. My main reason is that Ed is washed up....Dave can still hack singing the CVH catalog. Its not god damn opera, its whiskey driven party your ass off rock and roll; and Dave still has that vibe to a T. All the Dave critics don't seem to understand this, and nothing anyone can say will ever make them realize.

....and Dave is not in it for the money! He really seems to enjoy singing....I mean the guy must have made about $1000 at the ribfest? He's going to be paid millions a year to take over from Stern in a few weeks, and has been a millionaire since the late 70's. Yeah, its all about the money!

I was actually thinking during the Ribfest (I was the guy right at the front guard rail with the Megadeth shirt on) that Brian Young does Eddie....better than Eddie can. He plays better than ED ever did live. Eddies been regurgitating his solos for so long, I dont think he can come up with the caliber of stuff that blew us away on VH1 to 1984 .

Ed's been my hero for so long....all this makes me depressed. it makes a grown man wanna cry, I tell ya....

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Zif
    I know what you mean. From 1996 - 2003 or so a CVH reunion would have been the best thing I could think of to happen in music. But after catching Sam and Dave in 2004, then VH with Sam, and DLR at the ribfest....I just dont really care anymore. My main reason is that Ed is washed up....Dave can still hack singing the CVH catalog. Its not god damn opera, its whiskey driven party your ass off rock and roll; and Dave still has that vibe to a T. All the Dave critics don't seem to understand this, and nothing anyone can say will ever make them realize.

....and Dave is not in it for the money! He really seems to enjoy singing....I mean the guy must have made about $1000 at the ribfest? He's going to be paid millions a year to take over from Stern in a few weeks, and has been a millionaire since the late 70's. Yeah, its all about the money!

I was actually thinking during the Ribfest (I was the guy right at the front guard rail with the Megadeth shirt on) that Brian Young does Eddie....better than Eddie can. He plays better than ED ever did live. Eddies been regurgitating his solos for so long, I dont think he can come up with the caliber of stuff that blew us away on VH1 to 1984 .

Ed's been my hero for so long....all this makes me depressed. it makes a grown man wanna cry, I tell ya....

Young did a fine job, as always. Dunno about preferring what he does live now to what Ed did back in the day...

...from what I saw on that 1998 MTV Live At The Ten Spot thing with Cherone, Ed was still capable of playing. From what I heard on the 2004 tour, Ed seemed out of sorts at times...

...yep, thinking about Ed these days is kind of a bummer.

Sasquatch Hunter
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Zif

Ed was drunk the entire 2004 tour. We he is sober, he can play ace for ace anything from the past. Brian Young is good, but to say he is better than Ed...thats a stretch.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Shit, If they can prop Mick Mars up with a tomato stake and make a go of it, anything's possible.

Impossible is also possible.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Jimmy Jingles
    Ed was drunk the entire 2004 tour. We he is sober, he can play ace for ace anything from the past. Brian Young is good, but to say he is better than Ed...thats a stretch.
    And what show exactly did you see (ever) Ed play sober?

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I believe Ed was sober during the "3" debacle.

Of course, anyone would have started drinking again after that....
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It was EMT training, not ER training...............

Assclown.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "phonebooths across north america" will sell out in minutes.
    Just like YOUR summer tour called "Men's rooms across North America" in which you hungrily gobble gloryhole cock for other guys with the "rite tool."

A name like "ritetoolforjob" must make you the most popular guy in the gay chat room.

Sasquatch Hunter
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Zif
    And what show exactly did you see (ever) Ed play sober?

I never went to any '04 shows, but I read that there were some nights he was not "as drunk" as others, and he seemed to be sober during the soundchecks.

Also, if you watch any boots from the 3 tour, Ed was spot on and ripped through Mean Street and other classics with ease (and you would also be treated to Ga y Cherone fingering his ass on stage).

Sasquatch Hunter
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by fryingdutchman
    Just like YOUR summer tour called "Men's rooms across North America" in which you hungrily gobble gloryhole cock for other guys with the "rite tool."

A name like "ritetoolforjob" must make you the most popular guy in the gay chat room.

Top Notch Dutch!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    the on and ongoing REUNION-discussion lacks of one thing:

they fucking TRIED to do it !!! several times...dave said so, the bass player said so and even the drunk fuck, TAFKAE (the artist formerly known as eddie) and the poodle said so...

it just didn't work anymore...and never will again...get the fuck over it...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Jimmy Jingles
    Top Notch Dutch!

Thank you sir.

And I agree with you regarding Eddie's sobriety during the Cherone "experiment."

I've seen a lot of video from that tour, and Ed nails it every time. He looks cleaned up, and is even dressed to kill.

As opposed to the drunken homeless guy persona he adopted on the 2004 "Fleece The Sheep" tour.

Sasquatch Hunter
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by fryingdutchman
    Thank you sir.

And I agree with you regarding Eddie's sobriety during the Cherone "experiment."

I've seen a lot of video from that tour, and Ed nails it every time. He looks cleaned up, and is even dressed to kill.

As opposed to the drunken homeless guy persona he adopted on the 2004 "Fleece The Sheep" tour.
    Exactly.

He was hungry and excited during that time. Too bad Cherone turned out to be a sausage jockey.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Zif

5 Stars to ya and a big WELCOME!

©Ramblings by Rogue® Inc.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    RogueHorseman® resides at the scenic Double Cross Ranch in sunny Riveria Paradise
    Status
    Originally posted by rustoffa
    Shit, If they can prop Mick Mars up with a tomato stake and make a go of it, anything's possible.

Impossible is also possible.
    You've still got the touch, Rustoffa.

LMAO...
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Kickin' Ass & Takin Names
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I first fell in love with VH's classic music in the 90s. By then it was too late to see them perform live. I was never interested in seeing Sam's version. I picked up the classic albums one by one and fell more and more in love with the music. I'm a sucker for guitar solos and still dream I could play Eruption. I then moved on to solo Roth. IMO, his solo work is fucking underrated. Sure, most of it is not on par with the best VH stuff, but there are a LOT of gems in there. Most artists would give a nut to have an EEAS in their catalogue. Dave has at least 9 plat albums. The nonsense people spew about the guy is such BS. He has lost all respect. Even if he no longer produces hit albums, he was the lead fucking singer of arguably one of the best American rock bands on the planet. It's pathetic he gets ZERO respect from the press. When 96 rolled around I was sky high. Then the great scam took place and I was devastated as a fan. A tour in 96/97 would have been fantastic. MWM and CGTSNM were such great tunes. An albums worth of music like that would have been absolutely awesome. Dave and Ed were still energetic young men at that point. Now, Ed is self destructing and Dave has given up on the thought of artistic viability. I saw the 2002 Dave and Sam show. Although I had an awesome time, I just could not figure out why Dave was so stiff. Hardly any interaction with the crowd,etc. I have heard boots from Dave's 80s EEAS tour. He is capable of soooooo much more than he showed. Even if the voice is not 100% 1983, he could be creative as in the late 80s and make up for it with a FUN show. Ultimately, yes, it would still be awesome to see CVH perform live. However, at this point I'd settle for a great studio album. That is, if they got their shit together first. We know Dave can still write kick ass rock and roll to pair up with Ed's riffs. The voice thing they can work out in the studios.

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Anyone smell sheep $#!+?

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You know nothing about Dave then or now, so turn on the light's to avoid walking further into the darkness of your own empty thougts and opinions.

Dave is only out for money?
    How many amps had Daves name on them?
    How many guitars had his name on them?
    How many effects pedals have his name on them?
    Who tours selling primo-priced tickets just so he can play badly and melt down on stage while turning it into a Family affair by bringing the kid out on stage?

You know the answers to these questions already, or would if you would just flick on a light so you can see reality and stop swimming inyour own ignorance.

Dave puts on a "Professional" show and doesn't rape your wallet to do it...say something else, I wanna see the true depths of your stupidity, idiot.

Lord
    Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have see every Van Halen Nad david lee Roth tour since the diver down concert, 1984 was by far the best concert I have ever seen, and I saw almost every metal band there was in the 80's.
    Eddie played a good show here in 2004 even if his solo went kind of astray.
    I saw David Lee Roth play a club with about 400 people in it and it was bad, his tour with sammy wasn't the greatist either. His show at the Rib fest was great, he looked good, the band sounded good, and he looked like he was having fun.
    We all know if he got back with van Halen for a tour it would see out in a heart beat, I think Alex, Dave , and Mike could pull off a tour but I belive Eddie has thrown in the towel.
    To hear David Lee Roth sing classic Van Halen the way they where meant to be herd with a band that was in top form was great, there was alot of energy.
    I would like to see David put out a album with this band with some new material without any of his 1990's crappy song. He needs to go back to his roots hard hitting in your face, rock. The stuff that used to piss off your parents that they now play on the classic channels-lol
    Man am I ever getting old.
    It was great takeing my son to see David Lee Roth he is 17 and I saw my first Van Halen show when I was His age.
    Life's to short to drink cheap beer.

Eat 'Em And Smile Bitch!!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

You're a clown. Dave still performs because he loves to do just that. It's what he does, it's who he is......just ask Mick and Keith. As far as the radio thing, it's another adventure for him....he makes the most out of his life. You apparently make the worst of yours.
    "To keep up with me, you must be fast. To sing like me, you must be great. To beat me? You must be kidding!"
    - DLR, 2004

Thread Information