X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidLeeWrath
    Head Fluffer
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Big Troubles
    Can you please wise me up to why you and only you, think that Sam Hagar is cool? Im seriously interested in this.
    Sure, be happy to explain it. I wont "wise you up" though because that would suggest that I will change your thinking to match my own. I seriously doubt that will take place.

In any case, here goes....

I was a fan of his music as early as 82. I was also a rabid Halen fan. So, that being said, I was more than happy to see him join a band that I thought was gonna be in serious fuckin trouble after losing one of the most compelling presences in rock (yes, that would be DLR).

I like Sammy for his vocal range, his showmanship, his love for the fans, and his sense of humor. I could care less what he wears on stage. He makes a big noise, and makes it proudly. His doesn't give concerts, he throws parties for 10,000 people. He's not afraid to pick up a guitar and go toe-to-toe with Ed on the solos. The man just plain rocks.

Now, that being said....I'm still a fan of VH#1 thru 1984. I have copies of Skyscraper, Lil Aint Enough, Filithy Little Mouth.....I like Dave still. But he ain't coming back and Im not gonna fool myself into thinking so. The man's solo shows are....well, not Halen shows. The guy looks like the Crypt Keeper in tight blue leather. He's entertaining as hell to listen to in interviews, and his stuff with VH will always be classics.

But Dave is gone.....

Sam is ON!

Peace!
    Pope of The Church Of Almighty Sam, Rock God and LEADER of Van Halen!!!

Comment

• DavidLeeWrath
      Head Fluffer
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Catfish
      Somebody please explain the difference between Cherone and Gaygar.

Shit is shit.
      Somebody please explain the difference between Cherone and Gaygar.

Shit is shit.

Sam fit, Cherone didn't. Too "Freddie Mercury" for Halen.

Comment

• Catfish

Originally posted by DavidLeeWrath
        Sam fit, Cherone didn't. Too "Freddie Mercury" for Halen.
        Sam fit into Van Halen, huh?

Dude, that fat fuck couldn't fill Dave's shoes OR his trousers on stage.

Comment

• DavidLeeWrath
          Head Fluffer
          • Mar 2004

Sam = in Van Halen

Dave = Given a chance and blew it

I'm simply accepting what is.....

...and what is understood need not be discussed.

Comment

• Sarge
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Sam did not fit into Van Halen

Any 60 year old guy who wears Capri pants and Sandals and whore his cantina is not cool.

The guy probably can't even see his dick
            ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
            The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
            [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• Lou

It's not even "fit into Van Halen" as if Van Halen was always the trio of EVH, AVH, and MA.......plus a singer. Van Halen was EVH, AVH, MA, DLR. Just like Led Zeppelin is always Plant, Page, Jones, Bonham. There's no "fitting in" like Carlos Santana's various musicians "fitting into" the "band" Santana. Van HALEN has a definition and it doesn't include Sammy Hagar or anyone but the original four musicians.

Comment

• thefive

Sammy's voice is so annoying.

thefive

Comment

• DavidLeeWrath
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Sarge
                  Sam did not fit into Van Halen

Any 60 year old guy who wears Capri pants and Sandals and whore his cantina is not cool.

The guy probably can't even see his dick
                  I'm sorry that your musical admiration for someone is limited to the clothes they wear.

Sam fit then, fits now. And thems be the facts.

/shrug

Comment

• tjvhou812
                    Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Sam fit into Van Halen, huh?

Dude, that fat fuck couldn't fill Dave's shoes OR his trousers on stage.
                    if he couldnt fill daves shoes they would have floped
                    Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Comment

• rustoffa
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeWrath
                      His doesn't give concerts, he throws parties for 10,000 people. He's not afraid to pick up a guitar and go toe-to-toe with Ed on the solos. The man just plain rocks.
                      Sam is ON!
                      Peace!

I think Dave touched on this during the Spam and Dave tour."I don't need a couple of short-bus bleachers onstage to have a party, I AM THE FUCKING PARTY".

Comment

• DavidLeeWrath
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Lou
                        It's not even "fit into Van Halen" as if Van Halen was always the trio of EVH, AVH, and MA.......plus a singer. Van Halen was EVH, AVH, MA, DLR. Just like Led Zeppelin is always Plant, Page, Jones, Bonham. There's no "fitting in" like Carlos Santana's various musicians "fitting into" the "band" Santana. Van HALEN has a definition and it doesn't include Sammy Hagar or anyone but the original four musicians.
                        So, you would be screaming bloody murder if Eddie, Dave, and Al hit the road....but replaced Mike with another bassist?

Agree with the Zep statement there wholeheartedly, BTW.

Comment

• DavidLeeWrath
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa

I think Dave touched on this during the Spam and Dave tour."I don't need a couple of short-bus bleachers onstage to have a party, I AM THE FUCKING PARTY".
                          Dave can crow all he wants. I saw the co-headlining tour, and I came SPECIFICALLY becasue I had never gotten a chance to see DLR live. Had a splinter of a chance to see one of the last shows of the 1984 tour and I regretted missing it ever since. Well, there I was watching Sammy, then Dave....

Sam's set was much more like being at his house, drinks flying about, chicks wall-to-wall, and Mike decided to crash the party (and the audience lost their fuckin MINDS when they saw him jump out from the wings with his bass slung around him)

.....and Dave was onstage with, hell I have no clue who those guys were, but it wasn't Eddie up there playing Aint Talkin Bout Love. he didnt even LOOK like the Dave I knew. Someone described him as looking like a 90-year-old flourescent banana. Hell, that's damn close to what I saw.

I went there to go to Dave's party, but he wasn't throwing one...he was there to remind all all that he still likes spandex and likes to pretend that the mic is his dick. Well.....um, cool....way to go, Dave.

Comment

• DavidLeeWrath
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by tjvhou812
                            if he couldnt fill daves shoes they would have floped
                            Ouch.

Scuse me.....I gotta reaffirm my love of DLR's old stuff. I've been insulting the man too much today.

<cues up "DOA">

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2004

Hello to my fellow Roth Soldiers

My sincere condolences on the recent and unfortunate news regarding Sammy 'The Sheepdog' Hagar. I wrote a letter to MTV in response to their 'news', and below I've included it below. I know it's not a popular viewpoint, but I sincerely believe that Cherone can kick Hagar's butt anyday in any dept. But it's like his first solo T-Shirt said: ROTH RULES!
                              __________________________________________________ _____

Dear MTV:

I'm SURE that the VJs of past can confirm that if you saw a thoroughly entertaining video that expressed a "heartfelt, kick in the pants" Van Halen song, it would be none other than Diamond David Lee Roth on vocals. Defense rests your honour, no further questions, case dismissed.

When Gary Cherone joined the band, and subsequently went on a North American Autograph Tour, I saw something in Gary that I hadn't seen in Sammy Hagar. Put simply, Gary was humble. And that made Van Halen 3 the 7th best album that VH ever released (the first 6 are of course, VH's first 6 albums). Sammy came in, thought he was filling Roth's 'Sensible Shoes', and he was wrong, very wrong. Has Hagar put out some good stuff with Van Halen? Absolutely yes. But certainly not in a way that outshines Roth-Era Van Halen, but it's rather like oranges and apples, not even comparable, and the same goes for Cherone-Era Van Halen. So why does VH3 with Cherone measure up better than anything and everything that Hagar ever put out with Van Halen? Because Cherone was honest, and he wasn't trying to outdo anyone. Hagar was, and it became obvious live and on record. Van Halen 3 w/Cherone was underrated; it was an album of poetry set to music, and it's unfortunate that more fans didn't recognize or appreciate it for the audio artwork that it truly was. Bottom-line: David Lee Roth was, is and always will be the undisputed King of Showmanship, The Master of Media and Rock n' Roll Clown that showed us that rock n' roll music had nothing to do with satanism, anger, hatred and politics. It had everything to do with having a great time, smiling, laughing and enjoying your life with whoever your neighbour is. That's what David Lee Roth brought to Van Halen, and that's what we've been missing since 1984. Eddie & Alex, if there's ANY way you read this message, please just listen to what I'm about to say. With Roth, both onstage and in the studio, you really seemed to be enjoying yourselves and pushing each other to play harder and sing better. That's nothing to do with what you put down on vinyl or in concert; I'm talking about VIBE. It was unmistakable and unforgettable for most of your fans. When you were with Hagar, you seemed to be trying to prove something, great guitar/drum work but, the vibe was missing and it was noticeable. You seemed to really be at peace with Gary Cherone, and VH3 was better than anything you've put out with Sammy, for that reason alone, VIBE. Look guys, you can and will obviously do whatever you want, and I'll admit, it'll be great to hear you guys play again but, you can't fool the happiness vibe.

DLR_Engineroom@rotharmy.com
                              __________________________________________________ _______
                              http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
                              http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
                              http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• DavidLeeWrath
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Mar 2004

I dunno what's funnier....

the fact that you thought VH3 was even remotely better than any of the Hagar/VH albums....

or the fact that you wrote to MTV, which hasn't been relevant to real rock music in over a decade.

"Dave is gone....Sam in ON!!"

Comment

Working...