03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Interesting & Insightful Billy Sheehan Interview

http://www.fullinbloommusic.com/billysheehan.html

Lotta cool photos at the above webpage.

FIBM: What's new, what have you been up to lately and what's in the future?

Billy: It's all on my website. New Solo Cd, New Steve Vai CD & DVD, new Niacin CD, on tour now in Europe with Steve, new instructional DVD's & more

FIBM: What year did Talas form? Who was in the original line-up?

Billy: Early '70's. Myself, Dave Constantino, & Paul Varga.

FIBM: Why did it take so long for Talas to cut a record?

Billy: We just never thought of it. We were playing constantly.

FIBM: Any memories stand out from the Talas, Self-titled, recording sessions? Where did you record the album?

Billy: Some studio in Buffalo---not sure which. We just went in & pounded it out in a few days

FIBM: How many copies of that record were sold intially? How did you distribute the record?

Billy: They printed 10,000, & sold them all. Local, Buffalo only distribution. It wasn't released nationally then.

FIBM: Few memories from the "Sink Your Teeth Into That" recording sessions. What was your recording budget for that record? How many copies were sold?

Billy: 10K. We did it in 4 days in Toronto. It went fast, so no real events took place other than playing & singing, then getting back to gig ASAP. About 200 thousand (were sold). More now.

FIBM: Were you in a version of the Michael Schenker Group? How did that come about? How long?

Billy: I wasn't. I was flown to London to work on his first record. We got through the pre-production, but then but he freaked out, smashed his guitar, smashed his apartment, cut off his hair & they found him laying in the street somewhere & put him away. I left. They called me to return, but I passed on it.

FIBM: What was it like to work with Michael Schenker? Any memories stand out from the rest?

Billy: Tuning his guitar for him because he was so wasted he couldn't do it. Also, the smell from lack of bathing or any personal hygeine. Pretty horrible.

FIBM: In 1982, you were asked to join UFO. How did that come about and what were the days like, leading up to your first gig with them.

Billy: I wasn't asked to join. They needed a bass player for an upcoming tour & I agreed to do it. Talas opened for UFO (hence the Scenker connection) and they knew who I was. It was supremely un-together. Very sad---I loved that band, and Scenker. Seeing it up close as a dysfunctional, drug infested catastrophe was very disappointing. It broke my heart actually.

FIBM: Please describe a typical day in the life of Billy Sheehan, while you were touring with UFO.

Billy: I just tried to keep my end together and help the band get through the songs in a show.

FIBM: What had happened to Pete Way?

Billy: Ask him. I've got nothing to do with it. Next subject.

FIBM: How long did you tour with UFO? How many shows?

Billy: About 20 or 30 shows.

Billy Sheehan, live with UFO
    FIBM: When you returned you reformed Talas. Why did you change the line-up of the band for the 'Live Speed On Ice' album.

Billy: I didn't. The other guys quit & I was left holding the bag. I got some new guys to continue on. I had no choice.

FIBM: Eventually, Mitch Perry, who previously played in Steeler, had joined the band. Why was he chosen as the guitarist and how was it to work with him?

Billy: Recommendation from a friend. Too much drinking, so we replaced him.

FIBM: Describe the process leading up to your days with David Lee Roth. What was it like to work with him?

Steve Vai, David Lee Roth, Billy Sheehan, Greg Bissonette

Billy: Process? I don't know of any process. Talas opened for VH; we kept in touch; Dave called to start a band. Pretty simple really---no "process" involved. We had a blast.. He was & still is a hero of mine.

FIBM: Describe the songwriting process while you were in the DLR band.

Billy: The band would jam in the basement, Dave would run down when we hit on something he liked, then we'd piece it all together. Lots of fun, really.

FIBM: Your thoughts on Dave becoming an EMT. We heard he even donates his pay to charity.

Billy: I'm sure he's doing it for the adventure. Very cool.

FIBM: Describe a typical day on tour, while you were supporting Eat em' and Smile. How long did the band tour supporting that album?

Billy: The same as any other tour. Get in, sound check, show, travel, repeat. Sometimes there's time to hang & celebrate. (Toured) Many months.

FIBM: While you were in the band, did you receive a monthly salary or was your pay based on a percentage of sales, tour, merchandise, etc.

Billy: I was paid very well. I own all my publishing.

FIBM: Tell us about your first meeting with Steve Vai, in a DLR setting. Was that your first time to meet him?

Billy: I met Steve before that & recommended him for the gig. Dave called me first. WAY before Steve was involved.

FIBM: What was it like to work with Steve?

Billy: Steve is one of my best friends & one of the greatest musicians I know. I'm on tour with him now.

FIBM: Any memories come to mind from the Eat Em and Smile recording sessions. Where was it recorded?

Billy: Some at Fantasy studios in Berkely, CA, some at the Power Station in NYC. It was a lot of fun & very creative.

FIBM: Do you remember the day you heard Eat em and Smile, the finished product, for the first time. What were your thoughts?

Billy: We loved it. We drank, listened some more & celebrated heavily.

FIBM: While on tour would David hang with all the guys or did he mostly keep to himself. What was Dave's after-show routine?

Billy: We had a lot of fun. Lots of beautiful girls, but none were ever disrespected. We raged.

FIBM: Was there anything about the record industry that you learned from David? What were they?

Billy: I learned a lot. Too much to type here---it would take a long time.

FIBM: Tell us about one DLR show that stands out from the rest..or a couple of highlight shows.

Billy: Can't think of any really---he was consitent, so you could depend on a great show each night.

FIBM: How many copies of Eat em and Smile were sold initially? How does it sell nowadays? How many copies per year (average)?

Billy: Over a million. I don't know what it did over the years.

FIBM: What was the state of the band when you began recording Skyscraper?

Billy: We were in good spirits initially. Things changed though. Dave took a different direction.

FIBM: Any memories stand out from those sessions? Did you tour for that album?

Billy: Not really. Nope (did not tour).

FIBM: Why did you leave DLR? What was going on at that time?

Billy: Two different paths. I wanted a different style of music---more like Eat 'em & Smile.

FIBM: 3 fond memories of your days with DLR.

Billy: Being with him when he went on the Tonight Show, Hanging with the band telling stories, The tour.

FIBM: How much did being in the DLR band affect your Talas record sales?

Billy: A boost for sure

FIBM: What are a couple of your favorite songs from the DLR days? and why?

Billy: The whole EEAS album.

FIBM: What are some of your memories of the Mr Big Self-titled recording sessions?

Billy: Almost leaving initially because of instantly recognizable conflicts within.

FIBM: How many copies of that were sold intially? Is the record still in print?

Billy: Not sure.

FIBM: What has it been like to play with Paul Gilbert all those years?

Billy: What was it like to play with Billy Sheehan? ...(This is not a mistake, this was Billy's response)

FIBM: You guys actually continued to sell records even after the grunge movement began. How soon after the world debut of Nirvana, did Mr Big begin to be affected.

Billy: We outsold Pearl Jam in Japan 40 to 1.

FIBM: What were the nineties like for you? Did your life change any during those years?

Billy: My life changes every year.

FIBM: Mr Big was also able to keep a record contract with Atlantic Records all through the nineties. How were you able to do that?

Billy: I wish we could have gotten away.

FIBM: Did Atlantic still support your releases like they did back in the day?

Billy: They never did. In any "day". They hated "Lean Into It".

FIBM: Why did Mr Big break up?

Billy: Personality conflicts.

FIBM: Mr Big was also able to keep a record contract with Atlantic Records all through the nineties. How were you able to do that?

Billy: I wish we could have gotten away.

FIBM: Billy Sheehan is transported back in time to the year 1982, would you do anything differently?

Billy: Not really.

THE FAST 5

FIBM: What is your most disgusting habit?

Billy: None! I lead a clean life. I'm polite, helpful & considerate of my fellows.

FIBM: What is the most feminine thing you do?

Billy: Talk baby talk to my cat Spooky, who is the best cat in the world.

FIBM: If there is a God, what is the first question you would ask God when you arrive?

Billy: When will you go down to Earth and slap all the people who kill in your name.

FIBM: Greatest Rock band of all time?

Billy: Impossible to say.

FIBM: What were you doing 40 minutes before you sat down to do this interview?

Billy: Playing a sold out show in Budapest, Hungary w/ Steve Vai.

Hmmmmmm...just finished actually reading this. He comes off slightly as somewhat of a dick...he must have been having a a stressed out day or something.....I have met him on several occasions and he is a really cool guy...
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 11-15-2005 at 10:41 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2008 @ 09:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

does come across as quite arrogent!!!!
    Originally posted by Hardrock69
    Billy: Talk baby talk to my cat Spooky, who is the best cat in the world
    WHAT THE FUCK???!!!!
    cool pics
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

cool...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Re: Interesting & Insightful Billy Sheehan Interview

Originally posted by Hardrock69

Hmmmmmm...just finished actually reading this. He comes off slightly as somewhat of a dick...he must have been having a a stressed out day or something.....I have met him on several occasions and he is a really cool guy...

I have too, on numerous occasions....he shops at my local supermarket, too! SUPER nice guy...

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Rock & Roll Ralphs?

Thread Information