Thread: Truth And Rumors - NBA

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Truth And Rumors - NBA

Knicks guard Stephon Marbury is a confused, frustrated player struggling to retain his identity and still please his demanding new coach. After Wednesday night's 97-92 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers, Marbury asked Larry Brown to move him to shooting guard. Brown said he could not do so because the Knicks have no other reliable point guards. It could push the Knicks to trade for a veteran point guard and is sure to fuel trade rumors involving Marbury.
    -- New York Times

Kobe Bryant believes that Stephon Marbury would be wise to follow Larry Brown's direction so that Marbury "can turn out to be the player that we all thought he could be." "I think he's playing a more structured game right now," Bryant said.
    -- New York Daily News

Three weeks into the season, Timberwolves all-star Kevin Garnett criticized the team's key management decisions involving former coach Flip Saunders and veterans Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell. During an interview with TNT taped a day before Thursday's 109-98 Timberwolves victory over the Washington Wizards at Target Center, a frustrated Garnett said the situations should have been handled better.
    -- St. Paul Pioneer Press

New Sonics head coach Bob Weiss, whose previous experience harkens from the last millennium, is struggling to reach his players, some who are griping about their roles. The Sonics are trying to understand their fall from the league's elite so they can reverse it before it is too late.
    -- New York Times

A lack of healthy Lakers could keep rookies Andrew Bynum,Von Wafer and Devin Green with the big club longer than expected.
    -- Los Angeles Times

The Suns' plan was to score as many points as last season and reap the benefits of bringing in better defenders. Phoenix still leads the league in scoring but an uncommunicative, scattered defense has not shown the benefit of adding reputed stoppers such as Kurt Thomas and Raja Bell.
    -- Arizona Republic

Jermaine O'Neal said what others have whispered. "Either we're going to be a good team or we're going to be a bad team," O'Neal said Wednesday night before leaving the Charlotte Bobcats Arena after the Indiana Pacers' 32-point loss.
    -- Indianapolis Star

When Doug Christie had to guard offensively challenged Bruce Bowen in the San Antonio game two weeks ago, the alarm started to sound. Brought in for his defense, Christie had difficulties checking anybody other than the opponent's last offensive option. With his ankle giving him continual problems, Christie left the Mavericks on Thursday to return home to Seattle for a second opinion on his surgically repaired right ankle.
    -- Dallas Morning News

Jason Kapono has given the Heat an offensive sparkplug off the bench, while he works to improve his defense. In the past two games, Kapono has combined for 18 points on 7-of-9 shooting, raising his overall field-goal percentage to 58.1 and his three-point percentage to 53.8 (7 of 13).
    -- Miami Herald

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

A Little Follow Up on Marbury

Stephon Marbury would like to be the Knicks' version of Allen Iverson. He's starting to get his wish in one respect: His relationship with coach Larry Brown is beginning to mirror the rocky bond Brown had with A.I. when he coached the 76ers.

Marbury has asked to move from point guard to shooting guard, the New York Daily News reported, and Brown isn't receptive to the request right now.

"He told me he wanted to play off guard," Brown was quoted as saying in the newspaper. "Well, it's not that easy right now. What, are we going to invent a point guard?

"He told me he wanted to play like the way I used Allen [in Philadelphia]. Well, I had Eric Snow, Larry Hughes, Aaron McKie. It's a little different now."

Marbury's request came after he scored four points in a loss against the Los Angeles Lakers in which Kobe Bryant scored 42 points.

"I'm not used to playing in a game where I'm not attacking the person that's going at me," Marbury told the Daily News.

"I know how I play, [Brown] knows how I play. If he wants me to play a different way -- which I am playing a total different way -- if that's what it's going to take to win, I'm down for it. If we lose, I'm not going to be happy with it. I don't feel like I contributed. I feel like I was just out there. If we can go to the NBA Finals and I play like that I can deal with that ... all day."

Brown shot back at his outspoken star.

"I'm not disappointed in a guy feeling like he can contribute more. [But] I didn't hear that after the Utah game [in which Marbury scored just 10 points.] He had 2-for-9 [against Los Angeles]. What if he goes 5-for-9? We win the game."

Marbury better get used to Brown's system as the coach said he has no plans of switching gears.

"Did we win the other way?" Brown told the newspaper. "So let's get real here. We're trying to get better."

ESPN.com Story

guwapo_rocker
    Marbury never lasts more than a few years anywhere.

Should be an even shorter stay in the Big Apple.

When are the ESPN analysts going to admit they were completely

wrong about Charlie Villanueva on draft day? This kid is playing

great on a shitty team.

Farm Hand
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
    Marbury never lasts more than a few years anywhere.

Should be an even shorter stay in the Big Apple.
    Who'll be there longer? Marbury or Brown? My money's on Marbury.
    "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Farm Hand
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Truth And Rumors - NBA

Originally posted by WARF
    When Doug Christie had to guard offensively challenged Bruce Bowen in the San Antonio game two weeks ago, the alarm started to sound. Brought in for his defense, Christie had difficulties checking anybody other than the opponent's last offensive option. With his ankle giving him continual problems, Christie left the Mavericks on Thursday to return home to Seattle for a second opinion on his surgically repaired right ankle.
    -- Dallas Morning News
    I had high hopes for Christie when he came in. Good veteran who could play D and knock in a few buckets a game. The guy had some good years for the Kings. Now I don't know, hope this ankle problem turns out OK.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    a lot of people outside of ESPSuck had brighter views on Villenueva...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't we have a rumor mill thread?

Farm Hand
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @